The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 April 2021, 05:13 AM   #121
Furzey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43, BB Pro
Come on Padi - don’t disappoint us...
Furzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 05:20 AM   #122
Furzey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43, BB Pro
Top Rolex rage Padi! That did not disappoint. Love it!
Furzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 06:52 AM   #123
septantrionalis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septantrionalis View Post
Like one person said above, I am OCD when it comes to scratches on my watches. I don't care if its a $100 watch or a $10000 watch. While I don't wrap the entire watch, I do have a "screen protector" on the crystal. I am very accident prone and wear the watch 24/7. You can buy a pack off Amazon for about $10. Cheap insurance IMO that I've already used more than once.

In one case, I accidentally hit my wrist up against a stone wall. It scratched the protector, but my watch came out unscathed. A second time, I placed the watched on the sink in my bathroom. I knocked it off and it fell down onto my tile landing on the crystal, of course. The protector was cracked, but the watch came out undamaged. I peeled it off and put a new one on.

There's also a company that sells "wraps" for Rolex watches. I purchased it but only installed the protector around the bezel. You can't even tell its there.
Just an update on my post above. I literally just did this. In a rush, I run up the stairs grabbing the hand rails, accidentally hitting my wrist on the wall instead. Looking down, I see this :

I pull the protector off... good as new.

Old 30 April 2021, 07:58 AM   #124
Kube
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone DJ
Why I like watches -- they don't merit a case or screen protector
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 11:23 AM   #125
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It would be better if Rolex made watches out of thin film material to begin with.

Non-scrunchable solar chargeable semiconductored digital Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 11:39 AM   #126
Matteo E
"TRF" Member

No plastic film, lame.
Matteo E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 11:53 AM   #127
jhew
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Trust me, it feels better without protection.
jhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 05:00 PM   #128
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furzey View Post
Come on Padi - don’t disappoint us...
I did but will repeat if you missed it, is it safe threads please God give me strength, with today's Rolex wearers with special crystal buff clothes,special Rolex shampoo,special watch resting cloths,and now sticky back plastic protection bits. Please Rolex bring back the tool watches,and wearers of yesterdays past years.According to many on the net you can never be overly paranoid with Rolex watches as they are quite fragile if you dare wear them or god forbid take them out of the box, that's what some posts seem to portray on forum lately.These ultimate Rolex watch protectors will protect your watch from the harmful rays from the moon, and the ultraviolet radiation from the sun, if you dare taking your Rolex out of its box and going outdoors. And will further protect it from very harmful specks of dust and god forbid any finger marks on case or crystal.This product has taken many years of development and uses the finest products known to man.The Officially Certified polypropylene Neoprene take 12 months to manufacture just like a Rolex watch. This combined with the super new superduper ding lock protection patented material gives ultimate protection for your Rolex.They have just brought out another product made from the same Certified polypropylene Neoprene to protect the Rolex box with special compartments for all the bits of sticky back plastic and other plastic bits.These box/watch protectors have been fully tested by NASA and will be used on the next mission to the moon.Now available in all the colours of the rainbow, plus any colour of your choice, just ask the special customisation dept.As for warranty its been tested to 10000 years so it should last a lifetime if normal routine service has been applied.

So here you are guys, crystal, scratch, theft,and super soft watch, and wrist protection for your Rolex. A bit naff looking but what Super protection,for already one of the toughest made watches on this planet today.Made from 4mm super super soft high density COSC tested, 100% Superlative Officially Certified polypropylene Neoprene and no I will not tell you where you can buy them so don't ask.A Rolex is for life and wearing and don't need any sort of pampering except soap and water and routine service.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 05:48 PM   #129
Stoffel
Banned

Wrapping your watch and putting crystal protectors on them might well be the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read on here. I don’t know why people like that buy watches at all. I don’t see how it’s worth the stress and anxiety for them. If I felt like that I just wouldn’t bother.
Stoffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 06:18 PM   #130
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I've used protective film on the dial of my Garmin and it gets dinged up and dingy looking very quickly. Although protective film protects the metal it also looks like crap when in use. I'm way too OCD to use it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2021, 09:59 PM   #131
gr33n
"TRF" Member

My SD4000 still is "stickers in place", but it is not for protection

Ah ah.. Ok.
Old 1 May 2021, 03:14 PM   #132
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Please Rolex bring back the tool watches,and wearers of yesterdays past years.

According to many on the net you can never be overly paranoid with Rolex watches as they are quite fragile if you dare wear them or god forbid take them out of the box, that's what some posts seem to portray on forum lately.
In order for that to happen, Rolex needs to bring back the prices of yesterdays past years. Back 'then' A Submariner/GMT was around the cost of a Tag Heuer Aquaracer is today, with inflation considered.

Rolex is no longer seen as a tool watch but a piece of jewelry and for many a potential investment opportunity.

In this market everybody is buying a Rolex (even if they can't afford one) just for the sake of saying "look I have a Rolex" or because they see it as an investment.

Obliviously social media is a big part of why the market is the way it is today. It has now almost become a "fact" that a steel Rolex will increase in value over time - right now even immediately.

If you mainly see your watch as an investment, I understand wanting to protect the condition in order to maximize future value. I don't have to agree with it, but I understand it.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 03:30 PM   #133
epicurus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
Own the watch, dont let it own you!!
Bravo!
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 05:37 PM   #134
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
In order for that to happen, Rolex needs to bring back the prices of yesterdays past years. Back 'then' A Submariner/GMT was around the cost of a Tag Heuer Aquaracer is today, with inflation considered.

Rolex is no longer seen as a tool watch but a piece of jewelry and for many a potential investment opportunity.

In this market everybody is buying a Rolex (even if they can't afford one) just for the sake of saying "look I have a Rolex" or because they see it as an investment.

Obliviously social media is a big part of why the market is the way it is today. It has now almost become a "fact" that a steel Rolex will increase in value over time - right now even immediately.

If you mainly see your watch as an investment, I understand wanting to protect the condition in order to maximize future value. I don't have to agree with it, but I understand it.
Well in the real world Rolex watches have always been expensive even back in the early 1980s.I remember my Father taking on two jobs and saving for around 5 years to buy his first Rolex. And can assure you its far easier to buy a Rolex in todays age, than it was back then with less disposable income.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 06:39 PM   #135
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram View Post
Just a thought... if you can wrap an entire car in matte or gloss paint protection film why doesn’t anyone do it for watches?

Would anyone opt for this if it was pretty much invisible and covered every link, clasp and watch case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can get your Rolex with exactly this, just ask the AD to leave the stickers on when you buy the watch.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2021, 10:37 PM   #136
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I'm the crazy guy that does this. Buy a few feet of that film on Amazon and cover the clasp. Its invisible and in 2 years it will be good as new.

What film are you talking about? I wouldn’t put it on my watch but I would on my laptop where my wrist sits.

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 01:54 AM   #137
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well in the real world Rolex watches have always been expensive even back in the early 1980s.I remember my Father taking on two jobs and saving for around 5 years to buy his first Rolex. And can assure you its far easier to buy a Rolex in todays age, than it was back then with less disposable income.
I don't agree with that.

From a numbers perspective:

Average indexed yearly income in the US for 1983: $15,239
Aprox. cost of a Submariner Date in 1983: $1,325

Average indexed yearly income in the US for 2018: $52,145
Aprox. cost of a Submariner Date in 2018: $8,200

So relative to that, a sub (at retail) is now twice as expensive as it was in 83. It of course gets even worse when you would calculate the actual market value for a sub today.

I'm also sure that there were people in the 80's that didn't have to save for 5 years to buy themselves a Rolex, just as there are people today that could save their entire life and still never afford one.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 02:11 AM   #138
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
What film are you talking about? I wouldn’t put it on my watch but I would on my laptop where my wrist sits.

VViViD 3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film
Old 2 May 2021, 02:18 AM   #139
Xichan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Because nothing is hitting my watch at 60 mph.

Wear the watch or don't, this is beyond silly.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
Xichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 02:21 AM   #140
Xichan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
.....and in those five years, when you look in the mirror and find yourself looking vastly different, what will have protected you?

The point being life is passing you by in the meantime worrying about something that when your day of judgment comes, you will realize was so, so insignificant.
This thread is full of wisdom! Life is too short.
Xichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 02:05 PM   #141
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
So you want your watch to look nice, so you’re going to cover it in scotch tape.

I want my watch to look nice so I’m NOT covering it in scotch tape.
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2021, 02:39 PM   #142
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
Trust me, it feels better without protection.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 03:05 AM   #143
M.a.x.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicon View Post
It's great idea for people who buy watches they cannot really afford.
Yes +1

just wear the watch
M.a.x. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 03:23 AM   #144
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Condoms are for protection, Watches are to Wear and Enjoy!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 09:56 AM   #145
Goodwill63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 122613
I miss TRF from 10 years ago just like pro sports. God help us.
Goodwill63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 12:43 PM   #146
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
I wonder if Padi thinks that it would be a good idea to have Rolex install a tracking device inside of their mechanical watches? I'm betting that Padi is OK with that.
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 04:46 PM   #147
Gand
Banned

I rather move around with my watch in its box.
Gand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 07:01 PM   #148
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the little wee donkey.

What a thread.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote