The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 2 November 2022, 02:13 PM   #1501
jordanfsl
"TRF" Member

A post below from the Moda man himself - can't argue his logic either.

"Not sure who needs to hear this but what you paid for something means absolutely nothing what it’s currently worth now. Your watch is worth what someone willing to send you a wire for it today not what you see posted online. It’s a buyers market now and all the retail end users that been sitting on sidelines this a fantastic time to get into some long term holds. Sellers, you have to add value, be competitive, and have great customer service if you want to make sales. The days of being a order taker cashier with no knowledge in what you’re selling are over. We not going to ban someone because they made an offer you thought was offensive, suck it up, take the L, and make it back on the next peice.
That being said we have a pretty good grip on the market pricing in here. Generally if something is out of range it doesn’t get approved so what you see here is pretty close to what watches are selling for so that doesn’t mean offer 50% off everything you see listed lol."
Old 2 November 2022, 03:09 PM   #1502
dmash
"TRF" Member

full set 2020 white Daytona

Unsold

It’s really happening. People better strap in
Old 2 November 2022, 03:12 PM   #1503
dmash
"TRF" Member

Pepsi on jubilee auction full set just went for 16.6
Old 2 November 2022, 03:25 PM   #1504
Llamathurst
"TRF" Member

Anybody see Moda pricing on the Plat DD40 with the blue motif dial?
Old 2 November 2022, 05:57 PM   #1505
hello93
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
full set 2020 white Daytona

Unsold

It’s really happening. People better strap in
Just a little more.

What do you guys think the general time frame is for Moda prices to be equivalent to grey market prices
Old 2 November 2022, 07:56 PM   #1506
Andy0331
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

An amusing reality check posted by the owner of the MODA watch group last night. Sorry backpack dealers and overnight success types that thought they were the smartest businessmen ever riding a never seen before spike in demand.. I hope you built up some savings.
Old 2 November 2022, 08:06 PM   #1507
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
4 hours and still sitting.
Love seeing this. Can’t wait for prices to become more sane. Cheers!
Old 2 November 2022, 08:07 PM   #1508
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello93 View Post
Just a little more.

What do you guys think the general time frame is for Moda prices to be equivalent to grey market prices
Comparing with my local market prices, usually around 2 weeks lag time
Old 2 November 2022, 08:26 PM   #1509
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post
Thanks for the updates, please continue to post, much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
Love seeing this. Can’t wait for prices to become more sane. Cheers!
Thank you. And still sitting by the way!

Quote:
Saw that. Insane particularly given the fact that auctions are high watermarks for pricing.
Old 2 November 2022, 08:37 PM   #1510
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

White gold Pepsi 2022 sold for 34k in auction. Below retail.
Old 2 November 2022, 10:06 PM   #1511
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Amazing! Add to this another 75bip hike this morning and let's strap in for the new year... And this time is still "in the hope of a pre-Xmas wave". If this continues January may be truly a reversal to 2016 times.

I do have to cringe at some of the pricing on this forum and the spread... If auction at Moda is 16.6, the price on this forum for a Pepsi likely shouldn't be 19.950 any more... But that's just me. I know you're buying the seller and Moda is risk associated, but the spread is still pretty large
Old 2 November 2022, 11:48 PM   #1512
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

I am still struggling to understand how so many DD40s are listed above retail on Chrono and this site.

My only guess is the sellers are “fishing” for the occasional bite at those prices—not sure how much longer this can continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 November 2022, 11:54 PM   #1513
Mifune
Banned

Quote:
that's what I am talking about... someone get me one for 16.5
Old 3 November 2022, 12:59 AM   #1514
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
I am still struggling to understand how so many DD40s are listed above retail on Chrono and this site.

My only guess is the sellers are “fishing” for the occasional bite at those prices—not sure how much longer this can continue.

You can negociate the price. ;)
Old 3 November 2022, 01:16 AM   #1515
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

With what I heard (see my other thread https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=12449987). January will not be as dead as expected. We might see a price support. F...
Old 3 November 2022, 01:26 AM   #1516
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Watches continue to drop and excellent comments. Been learning a lot from you guys. Couple of thoughts. What do you think about pm watches vs SS? I think pm will likely trade 10-20% msrp and SS Daytonas will end up in high teens and gmts will end up at or near msrp?
Old 3 November 2022, 02:01 AM   #1517
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
With what I heard (see my other thread https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=12449987). January will not be as dead as expected. We might see a price support. F...
If that even comes to fruition

I don’t think it will result in price support as you may assume. Nobody is buying stuff period. And there’s still a ways to fall for most models to MSRP. If we were discussing grey dipping below MSRP it’s one thing, but we haven’t even reached parity yet. Who cares if the AD has it or not, we’re discussing grey pricing where nothing is moving.
Old 3 November 2022, 02:13 AM   #1518
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
If that even comes to fruition

I don’t think it will result in price support as you may assume. Nobody is buying stuff period. And there’s still a ways to fall for most models to MSRP. If we were discussing grey dipping below MSRP it’s one thing, but we haven’t even reached parity yet. Who cares if the AD has it or not, we’re discussing grey pricing where nothing is moving.
My only fear is that grey will use that to support prices when they speak with customers.
Old 3 November 2022, 02:18 AM   #1519
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My only fear is that grey will use that to support prices when they speak with customers.
Doesn’t mean jack. These snake oil salesman have been saying “buy the dip”, “strike while the irons hot”, “this is an investment piece” etc. All of this has fallen on deaf ears.

Additionally, the influx of supply in the grey markets far outweighs any pause in Rolex production (if that’s even true… I am skeptical). If it goes on for a prolonged period of time, then trust me - watches will be the last thing we’re worried about.
Old 3 November 2022, 02:25 AM   #1520
dmash
"TRF" Member

BNIB Full set white gold olive dd40, oct2022 card, sitting unsold for 43999

olive dial dd was one of the hype models earlier this year. I believe some guys were asking $70-$75k for rose and 60-65 for white at some point
Old 3 November 2022, 02:43 AM   #1521
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

By now, most Rolex buyers should have realised that there are actually tonnes of stocks for most of the models. Remember seeing YouTube videos where dealers have a whole suitcase of the same model? This is not scarcity, this is a scam. One that cannot be sustained because a million watches are being produced annually. Practically and feasibly, how many people can buy multiple full gold Daytonas in a single year? For those who can, they probably wouldn’t be bothered to buy more than 1 because their money are placed at avenues that are not available to most people. So in conclusion, most but NOT all buyers of multiple watches in a considerable short timeframe are flippers with the aim to make money.
Old 3 November 2022, 02:51 AM   #1522
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Racer View Post
Watches continue to drop and excellent comments. Been learning a lot from you guys. Couple of thoughts. What do you think about pm watches vs SS? I think pm will likely trade 10-20% msrp and SS Daytonas will end up in high teens and gmts will end up at or near msrp?

10-20 below you’re saying?

Old 3 November 2022, 02:52 AM   #1523
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
BNIB Full set white gold olive dd40, oct2022 card, sitting unsold for 43999

olive dial dd was one of the hype models earlier this year. I believe some guys were asking $70-$75k for rose and 60-65 for white at some point

This was a $35k watch pre pandemic

Old 3 November 2022, 03:29 AM   #1524
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Last time I visited my AD, he confirmed DD and PM interest plunged.
Old 3 November 2022, 03:34 AM   #1525
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
This was a $35k watch pre pandemic

and a Sub could be had under retail pre pandemic too. none of those price points are particular useful currently
Old 3 November 2022, 03:34 AM   #1526
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Last time I visited my AD, he confirmed DD and PM interest plunged.
makes sense seeing as near all PM DD40 can now be had cheaper than retail + tax
Old 3 November 2022, 05:05 AM   #1527
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I was in my local multi-brand AD picking up a watch coming back from warranty repair yesterday. They deal, primarily, in Rolex, PP, Cartier, IWC. They operate a Rolex boutique, and are opening up a dedicated PP boutique/salon soon.

They said that inbound calls are slowing, but they still have very long waitlists for everything Rolex and PP. They are not seeing many people turn down watches when they “get the call.” The only people saying “no,” are folks who found their watch at another dealer or went gray.

Their belief is that flippers and bitcoin bros were never really their core clientele. Not sure how that compares to other places, though.
Old 3 November 2022, 05:48 AM   #1528
mdubya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
I was in my local multi-brand AD picking up a watch coming back from warranty repair yesterday. They deal, primarily, in Rolex, PP, Cartier, IWC. They operate a Rolex boutique, and are opening up a dedicated PP boutique/salon soon.

They said that inbound calls are slowing, but they still have very long waitlists for everything Rolex and PP. They are not seeing many people turn down watches when they “get the call.” The only people saying “no,” are folks who found their watch at another dealer or went gray.

Their belief is that flippers and bitcoin bros were never really their core clientele. Not sure how that compares to other places, though.
Not exactly in an ADs interest to talk about how things are slowing down though is it? It’s in their interest to keep the scarcity/demand belief for as long as possible among clients.
Old 3 November 2022, 05:52 AM   #1529
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

@bobernet 100% with your message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
The only people saying “no,” are folks who found their watch at another dealer or went gray.
That part is interesting because it is exactly same here. A few say no because they found their watch at another dealer or went gray.

My SA was joking and telling me that they could guess (by the way they were answering) which ones were lying frighten to burn the bridge acknowledging they wanted to flip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Not exactly in an ADs interest to talk about how things are slowing down though is it? It’s in their interest to keep the scarcity/demand belief for as long as possible among clients.
100% I always come back to Jean-Claude Biver: "people want exclusivity, so you must always keep the customer hungry and frustrated."
Old 3 November 2022, 09:02 AM   #1530
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Exactly the case. I was at my Rolex AD a week ago and they are either still pushing this belief or they are clueless. I doubt it's the latter, but they are still selling everything that comes in. They need to reach the point of having watches sitting in the case for sale without it being pre-sold to completely get the message. It's just a matter of time.

The guy I deal with is high up in the organization to know whats happening but he is holding the company line, or he's in denial.
Closed Thread