The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 May 2022, 07:03 AM   #1621
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemargolis View Post
Please make sure the watch is wound up and running before you set the time. There is slack inherent in the indirect center seconds system, and that slack can cause both hands to jump. Winding the watch and then setting takes this issue away.
Thanks for the tip Mike, I'll give it a shot. Usually I'm either wearing the watch on consecutive days, or taking it off a winder, but it may not be fully wound when I'm adjusting.

Very much looking forward to receiving the adjustable clasp when it comes in. I've been enjoying the watch on a rubber strap lately in anticipation.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 07:05 AM   #1622
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Debating selling the Fratello since I don't wear it enough..... its a beautiful watch... just feel its not getting enough wrist time.
That's a bummer but happens sometimes. What's your favorite all around piece in your collection? If you decide to move it I'm sure you'll find a buyer. The Antarctique fits my casual go-anywhere lifestyle really well.
Old 26 May 2022, 07:39 AM   #1623
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
Debating selling the Fratello since I don't wear it enough..... its a beautiful watch... just feel its not getting enough wrist time.
The goal is (more) happiness.

Quote:
Please make sure the watch is wound up and running before you set the time. There is slack inherent in the indirect center seconds system, and that slack can cause both hands to jump. Winding the watch and then setting takes this issue away.
Thanks Mike for all you do
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 07:40 AM   #1624
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
So oddly I got a YM42 on a whim because I wanted a 5167 to have a casual watch on a rubber strap and knew the PP would be forever and ended up loving the YM. I ended up with a 5164 as well but that also doesn't get much wrist time. The Czapek is a beautiful piece definitely stands up with the best of them... I honestly love the versatility and robustness of a Rolex on rubber.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 10:48 PM   #1625
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

I got a kick out of this, on another forum, guy's selling his Monochrome Czapek, for about 50% over list price, and he says he'll cover $40 worth of shipping.

How kind of you!
mikemargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2022, 11:32 PM   #1626
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^ (friendly eye roll)
So nice he'll cover 40 bucks. Woo-hoo, such a great deal! <sarc>

Note To Self: Invent a tiny 'self-destruct' assembly for watchmakers, so when someone tries flipping a piece the manufacturer can remotely activate the self-destruct feature. :)

PS: Am a BIG fan of Banksy

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 27 May 2022, 12:09 AM   #1627
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I got a kick out of this, on another forum, guy's selling his Monochrome Czapek, for about 50% over list price, and he says he'll cover $40 worth of shipping.

How kind of you!
Not me, I've actually never sold a single watch yet
Old 2 June 2022, 12:09 AM   #1628
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Has it really already been a month 24/7/365 on-the-wrist for the Czapek Monochrome White? My how time flies when you're busy coding and balancing life.

Am happy to report she's been flawless no matter what is 'thrown at her'. For usability, the bracelet's clasp adjustment is a huge bonus as my wrist grows/shrinks quite a bit during the day depending on activity. Still prefer the strap, yet that's a personal preference. Once the other straps arrive will post pics.

Timekeeping has been solid and consistent.

Frankly, not sure what else to add here as she's better than expected and IMHO is an 'overachiever' and always love looking at the modern movement. Sure the movement looks 'bigger' in online photos, yet IRL it's a micro marvel with a multitude of visual delights!

Enjoy Your Time

Old 2 June 2022, 03:01 AM   #1629
ckmcknight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Has it really already been a month 24/7/365 on-the-wrist for the Czapek Monochrome White? My how time flies when you're busy coding and balancing life.

Am happy to report she's been flawless no matter what is 'thrown at her'. For usability, the bracelet's clasp adjustment is a huge bonus as my wrist grows/shrinks quite a bit during the day depending on activity. Still prefer the strap, yet that's a personal preference. Once the other straps arrive will post pics.

Timekeeping has been solid and consistent.

Frankly, not sure what else to add here as she's better than expected and IMHO is an 'overachiever' and always love looking at the modern movement. Sure the movement looks 'bigger' in online photos, yet IRL it's a micro marvel with a multitude of visual delights!

Enjoy Your Time
Nice. Good to hear its surpassed your expectations. I'm still waiting on my Monochrome White, which has been delayed yet again as of this morning.
ckmcknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 09:00 PM   #1630
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

No sign of the Czapek Glacier Blue or Salmons yet then ��
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2022, 10:15 PM   #1631
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmcknight View Post
Nice. Good to hear its surpassed your expectations. I'm still waiting on my Monochrome White, which has been delayed yet again as of this morning.
Ugh, sooooooo very sorry to hear that. Heck, would lend you mine for a week or two if you lived closer just so you could get a feel for her. Very much look forward to your impression once she arrives

Old 3 June 2022, 01:30 AM   #1632
ckmcknight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Ugh, sooooooo very sorry to hear that. Heck, would lend you mine for a week or two if you lived closer just so you could get a feel for her. Very much look forward to your impression once she arrives
I appreciate the sentiment. Don't worry, I've got plenty of other watches to keep me company until it comes. The anticipation will only make me want it more.
ckmcknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2022, 04:32 AM   #1633
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Posted on a separate thread but figured I should post the incoming here as well. Only 11 were produced worldwide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2886.jpg (109.1 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2887.jpg (96.8 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5558.jpg (145.6 KB, 424 views)
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2022, 05:13 AM   #1634
Jimbo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
Posted on a separate thread but figured I should post the incoming here as well. Only 11 were produced worldwide.
I saw this yesterday. I noticed they removed the day of the week and just made it a double power reserve.

Never understood how the PR and day of the week function worked on the original Quai, but setting the watch to full power at the beginning of the week seemed to be weird way to set the day of the week.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2022, 05:26 AM   #1635
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Never understood how the PR and day of the week function worked on the original Quai, but setting the watch to full power at the beginning of the week seemed to be weird way to set the day of the week.
I think it's like what MB&F also does. If you hand-wind the watch fully on a specific day of the week, as the mainspring unwinds the power reserve is shown as 'day of week' (instead of a scale % of power reserve).

Old 5 June 2022, 08:14 AM   #1636
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

What are people’s thoughts about the market for Czapek? Could all the models retain their value or even appreciate.
Old 5 June 2022, 08:14 AM   #1637
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

What are people’s thoughts about the market for Czapek? Could all the models retain their value or even appreciate.
Old 5 June 2022, 08:25 AM   #1638
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Quote:
IMO no way all models retain their full value as some of the more popular brands we all know have models under retail I.E.. - AP Millenary, Patek Ellipse, Richard Mille with some round case models, etc..

With that said, I do feel Czapek has a place in the market, and a few of their models certainly has higher demand than current supply.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2022, 08:56 AM   #1639
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ1925 View Post
IMO no way all models retain their full value as some of the more popular brands we all know have models under retail I.E.. - AP Millenary, Patek Ellipse, Richard Mille with some round case models, etc..

With that said, I do feel Czapek has a place in the market, and a few of their models certainly has higher demand than current supply.
Makes sense. What about their limited edition pieces? Seems like the market is still forming.
Old 7 June 2022, 01:29 AM   #1640
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

As I've said I've never sold a watch. The only watch I got rid of was a Panerai I traded on my 5711 but other than that never let a piece go. When I tried looking into selling the Czapek realized no major dealers want them, or they offer less than MSRP for them. I'll end up keeping it since its way too beautiful of a watch to lose money on.
Old 9 June 2022, 07:12 AM   #1641
mikemargolis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Makes sense. What about their limited edition pieces? Seems like the market is still forming.
Well, let's make some enemies here.

I want you to buy a Czapek because you LOVE the watch. You want the watch, and you want to wear the watch, you want to enjoy it, pass it down to your kids, etc... I want you to want your name engraved on the watch because you're buying it because you're KEEPING it.

If you're a flipper and you want to know which model will appreciate the most and the fastest, I really have zero interest in helping you. All you're doing is making it harder for the Czapek lover to get his watch so you can make a few hundred or thousand.

Please don't.

/ rant over.
mikemargolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2022, 11:55 AM   #1642
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Quote:

I want you to buy a Czapek because you LOVE the watch. You want the watch, and you want to wear the watch, you want to enjoy it, pass it down to your kids, etc... I want you to want your name engraved on the watch because you're buying it because you're KEEPING it.

If you're a flipper and you want to know which model will appreciate the most and the fastest, I really have zero interest in helping you. All you're doing is making it harder for the Czapek lover to get his watch so you can make a few hundred or thousand.

Please don't.

/ rant over.

Well said Mike~~
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2022, 12:21 PM   #1643
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I dunno it's annoying to see monochrome orders go out even when I ordered mine months before those, and my case hasn't even been built. I had a "build date" two months ago and still nothin. /Rant
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2022, 07:28 PM   #1644
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:

Please don't.

/ rant over.
Mike, You are a retailer right (If I've followed some of your posts correctly)? If we are being honest, you might have some economic bias in this area - more so than just the annoyance of a collector who can't get his watch. I don't mean to be accusatory, I'm just trying to understand this deep resentment against the so-called flippers other than being annoyed about not getting a new toy.

Trying to look at it objectively, perhaps speculating on watches - if that is what he is doing - is how the dude feeds his family or pays his student loans or perhaps how he moves his way up to buy the grail watch he's always wanted (like many in the industry who have done the exact same thing... The Hodinkee crew, etc.). And at the expense of who and/or what? Rich pricks who can't get their new toy? Seems like a victimless crime to me.. and maybe a noble one.

Anyway, it's not like he's not taking a risk that the market sours, which it will. So what am I missing?
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2022, 09:46 PM   #1645
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
Mike, You are a retailer right (If I've followed some of your posts correctly)? If we are being honest, you might have some economic bias in this area - more so than just the annoyance of a collector who can't get his watch. I don't mean to be accusatory, I'm just trying to understand this deep resentment against the so-called flippers other than being annoyed about not getting a new toy.

Trying to look at it objectively, perhaps speculating on watches - if that is what he is doing - is how the dude feeds his family or pays his student loans or perhaps how he moves his way up to buy the grail watch he's always wanted (like many in the industry who have done the exact same thing... The Hodinkee crew, etc.). And at the expense of who and/or what? Rich pricks who can't get their new toy? Seems like a victimless crime to me.. and maybe a noble one.

Anyway, it's not like he's not taking a risk that the market sours, which it will. So what am I missing?

Mike works for Czapek. He represents the company in the US. And he is on-point IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2022, 09:51 PM   #1646
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Seems to me that Czapek is a victim of its own success. Since the brand was revived and up until recently they were well structured to meet demand for their timepieces. The release of the Antarctique in conjunction with the general insatiable desire for this type of steel integrated bracelet sports watch changed all that. There were some risk-takers who purchased the Terre Adelie and it sold out quickly. When the Passage de Drake was announced, many jumped into the queue, me included, but it stayed pretty open for quite awhile. By the time the details of the Fratello version were circulating in the press, the jig was up and FOMO closed out the lists.

As an owner, I have to say I've been dismayed since the moment Czapek released a watch that could immediately sell on the secondary for higher than retail. This wasn't the result of intentionally limiting production. If anything, they seem to be having a difficult time producing approved orders on their intended timeline.

Now we've crossed the tipping point where a timepiece moves from being something purchased, used, and admired by owners to something that sits in a safe with little stickers intact, waiting to be moved to the next safe. Or maybe just enough stickers are taken off to post a wrist shot with blurry shoes and a little bracelet to match the rest of the shots on Instarepeat. People are free to turn anything into a store of wealth, however transient and risky it may be, but it just sucks when their action makes it that much more expensive and difficult for an enthusiast to enjoy.
Old 9 June 2022, 10:09 PM   #1647
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Overall, have a feeling many of us would agree the current mechanical timepiece market dynamic is FUBAR... until we achieve some sanity by those in control of currencies or the (eventual) new faith system is created. Yet since they have lost control, i (personally) see no mathematical solution of building back up their currency CONfidence game....

Am a HUGE fan of honest capitalism, yet the world has not had that in many years.

Agree with Mike, yet also see the other side of the proverbial coin. Will side with Mike here that if you want a Czapek timepiece to wear and enjoy for many years please do so. Welcome my friend. If you're a flipper, go swimming elsewhere pretty please with sugar on top and a cherry.

Besides, if you want a good investment there are many other avenues.

Old 9 June 2022, 11:08 PM   #1648
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Please don't.

/ rant over.
Completely agree.

The sad part is that we will never see this kind of statement from larger well known brands.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2022, 11:34 PM   #1649
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Mike works for Czapek. He represents the company in the US. And he is on-point IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
On point about what specifically?

Like I said, I'm trying to understand why flipping is such an "evil" other than getting guys upset that they can't spend their disposable income.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2022, 11:36 PM   #1650
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
On point about what specifically?

Like I said, I'm trying to understand why flipping is such an "evil" other than getting guys upset that they can't spend their disposable income.
Or perhaps someone who is interessted in being an owner is not able to?

I see watches all the time that I wanted to buy years ago that were snapped up by flippers. Today some of those same watches are for sale below where they were originally listed.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote