The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2021, 12:20 AM   #1621
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Some of the best years in F1 for me......Hakkinen, Irvine, Coulthard, Villeneuve, Fisichella, Hill, Frentzen, Alesi, Trulli, Salo etc .....the list goes on. 1990's and early 2000's. Some great battles.
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i think the 90s was the golden age. late 80s/early 90s just had insane talent. i think that's also when the cars peaked in terms of looks and sound
Yup

Too many darn driver's aids nowadays imho. Fly by wire systems and all that.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 12:24 AM   #1622
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
Lewis didn't have to win. All he needed was engine from Mercedes that didn't explode.

Yes mathematically correct - but there was more to it than that.

F1 website summarized it well:
Rosberg applied all his attention to detail toward achieving his championship goal in 2016 - the longest ever Formula One season.

He began the 21-race endurance contest with four successive victories. In the fifth event, in Spain, the two title rivals collided on the first lap and went no further.

Thereafter they traded race wins (ultimately 10 to 9 for Hamilton), were penalised for rule infractions (four for Rosberg) and suffered mechanical misfortune (five for Hamilton).

While Rosberg led the standings for most of the season, Hamilton’s victories in the final four races reduced Rosberg’s lead to just five points at the finish in Abu Dhabi.

I don’t mind the nostalgic bench racing: there’s a saying from the old football player Don Meredith who once said, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

But did you know why his engines failed?
Too much hard driving on curbs transmitting forces onto the big end bearings through the transmission and a too aggressive lubricant profile by engineers to amp power curve.

Both driver and team contributed to those failures.

IMHO, Nico earned it that year - I can accept that. I am a bit biased - watched him grow from the ADAC F-BMW series.

Another admitted bias: I’ve been in points chases and sometimes bad luck is part of the deal. Never at their level, but I still recall a pass for the points lead one year (that I thought was brilliant). Later I met the other driver and he had a shock failure during that race and it hurt his turn-in on right hander’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 12:34 AM   #1623
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I’m just glad that there’s some real racing going on and some uncertainty in the podium not related to rain or disaster. Mercedes miscalculated it’s spending and it’s great for the championship. The cost cap and token system is already paying off.
I love the radio from Lewis baffled by the time differences, etc. I also love McLaren Mercedes is up there with the works team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 03:10 AM   #1624
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yup

Yup

Some of the best years in F1 for me......Hakkinen, Irvine, Coulthard, Villeneuve, Fisichella, Hill, Frentzen, Alesi, Trulli, Salo etc .....the list goes on. 1990's and early 2000's. Some great battles.
Ah...the good 'ol days back then..

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 03:30 AM   #1625
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yup

Yup

yeah looking back and watching senna drive 1 handed at monaco just makes those times feel completely insane. i have no doubt that the top drivers today don't need all the aids but that's just the way of the game when it comes to technology
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 10:37 AM   #1626
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Scratch the race in Spain where Nico took them both out while dicking around with the buttons on his steering wheel, Lewis wins the championship save for the DNF in Malaysia. Records show Rosberg was 2016 champion, but he didn't beat Lewis.
And if Timo Glock doesn't park the Toyota F1 on the last corner of the last lap At Interlagos, Massa wins the WDC in 2008 and Lewis doesn't///. That's racing.

Quote:
Lewis didn't have to win. All he needed was engine from Mercedes that didn't explode.
And if Michael Schumacher's Ferrari engine doesn't explode at Suzuka in 2006 he's an 8 time WDC and Alonso is only a 1 time WDC. That's racing and always has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yes mathematically correct - but there was more to it than that.

F1 website summarized it well:
Rosberg applied all his attention to detail toward achieving his championship goal in 2016 - the longest ever Formula One season.

He began the 21-race endurance contest with four successive victories. In the fifth event, in Spain, the two title rivals collided on the first lap and went no further.

Thereafter they traded race wins (ultimately 10 to 9 for Hamilton), were penalised for rule infractions (four for Rosberg) and suffered mechanical misfortune (five for Hamilton).

While Rosberg led the standings for most of the season, Hamilton’s victories in the final four races reduced Rosberg’s lead to just five points at the finish in Abu Dhabi.

I don’t mind the nostalgic bench racing: there’s a saying from the old football player Don Meredith who once said, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

But did you know why his engines failed?
Too much hard driving on curbs transmitting forces onto the big end bearings through the transmission and a too aggressive lubricant profile by engineers to amp power curve.

Both driver and team contributed to those failures.

IMHO, Nico earned it that year - I can accept that. I am a bit biased - watched him grow from the ADAC F-BMW series.

Another admitted bias: I’ve been in points chases and sometimes bad luck is part of the deal. Never at their level, but I still recall a pass for the points lead one year (that I thought was brilliant). Later I met the other driver and he had a shock failure during that race and it hurt his turn-in on right hander’s.

Excellent post. If you win a championship in a 21 race season it's not luck. If anyone listens to podcasts subscribe to "Beyond the Grid". Nico was interviewed a couple years ago and the episode should still be there. He talked about how dedicated he was to the 2016 season in terms of training, diet and the little details. Just a couple examples, he had driving gloves reversed stitched to get a better feel on the steering wheel. Nico won the next 2 races and Lewis then switched to the same gloves.

Another example was that Nico had to lose some weight from his lower body so he cut out cycling and dropped a kilo of weight from his calf muscles to try and get an edge with regard to ballast weight in the car. I highly recommend these podcasts to anyone who is a fan of the sport.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 01:09 AM   #1627
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Will Lewis' F1 wins record, ever be beaten?
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 03:47 PM   #1628
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Not a great start for poor Lando.

https://twitter.com/mclarenf1/status...924612096?s=24

Lando Norris had his RM stolen at Wembley at the cup final last night.

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 04:26 PM   #1629
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaJJH View Post
Not a great start for poor Lando.

https://twitter.com/mclarenf1/status...924612096?s=24

Lando Norris had his RM stolen at Wembley at the cup final last night.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 04:40 PM   #1630
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
Retail RM 67-02 40k£?)
Old 13 July 2021, 04:47 PM   #1631
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kigan View Post
Retail RM 67-02 40k£?)

That is what we call lazy journalism

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 05:15 PM   #1632
Kigan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blancpain AC01
Exactly)

The stadium management must be sued for the mess with the safety of visitors.
Old 15 July 2021, 05:37 AM   #1633
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Will Lewis' F1 wins record, ever be beaten?
Not in my lifetime, or probably others too....but then again, I'm a senior citizen...!

Old 15 July 2021, 05:51 AM   #1634
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Not in my lifetime, or probably others too....but then again, I'm a senior citizen...!
Since I'm not as old, I expect Max to break some if not all of Lewis's records in my lifetime.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 05:59 AM   #1635
BobMartian
Banned

I don't even expect Max to out score Lewis this season
BobMartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 06:19 AM   #1636
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Since I'm not as old, I expect Max to break some if not all of Lewis's records in my lifetime.
I have my doubts on that. He's nowhere on track to that and neither is Red Bull.
https://www.racing-statistics.com/en...tappen/careers

Old 15 July 2021, 07:03 AM   #1637
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
What's everyone's opinions on the sprint race and the resulting weekend schedule changes? I'm still no the fence. I wouldn't have minded if they scrapped the idea all together, but it could be interesting.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 07:29 AM   #1638
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Yup. Heard the same when Schuey earned his. No one would beat his records for....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 15 July 2021, 07:36 AM   #1639
jatco

Quote:
Yup. Heard the same when Schuey earned his. No one would beat his records for....
...however long it took. And in this case, it took Hamilton less time. Different world then and now..and with future changes. Who knows..

Old 15 July 2021, 07:47 AM   #1640
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo View Post
What's everyone's opinions on the sprint race and the resulting weekend schedule changes? I'm still no the fence. I wouldn't have minded if they scrapped the idea all together, but it could be interesting.

Well I expect more incidents than a normal weekend on the old schedule. They’ve added a Steward into the room in anticipation.

HAM has tipped his hand in an interview - likely parade laps.

My own take is it can be a mixed bag and he may have a point. In Q1, 2, 3, less chance for a car2car incident. Mostly single car incidents. But racing Saturday opens the door to damage that could ruin your Sunday race. Or cause loss of grid spots due to parts needing replacement.

Old 15 July 2021, 08:10 AM   #1641
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
I have my doubts on that. He's nowhere on track to that and neither is Red Bull.
https://www.racing-statistics.com/en...tappen/careers
He's only 23 and could probably race until his late 30's like Lewis. All he needs is to get his timing right on a team that can go on a run like Lewis with Mercedes, Schumacher with Ferrari, or even Seb with RB. I say this as a Lewis fanboy and hope to see Lewis set all of the records before he drives off into retirement.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 08:11 AM   #1642
jatco

It all sounds rather hectic imo. But certainly agree with below Paulg \/

Old 15 July 2021, 08:48 AM   #1643
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Max is the youngest driver with a race win and fastest to 50 podiums (crazy he already has 50). That being said, it really depends on this new formula that starts in 2022. If Red Bull can have the kind of dominance Mercedes had in the hybrid era coupled with more and more races squeezed into a season, it could very well happen.

With regard to the sprint races, I'm keeping an open mind and like the fact they are giving it 3 opportunities at 3 different venues this year to tweek it a bit if the first attempt isn't what was intended. With points only awarded to the first 3 finishers on Saturday's sprint race, but sets the grid for Sunday's full race, I expect it to be kind of like a karting sprint race with a lot of jockeying, bumps and bruises with everyone trying to get a high as possible in a short amount of time.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 09:36 AM   #1644
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i never thought we'd see anyone equal schumacher's 7x yet here we are. i really do think lewis will get 1 more before he retires and i expect 8x to be untouchable. too many things have to go right to beat all the records lewis is holding right now. vettel was 23 when he won his first and proceeded to win 3 more back to back and look at him now. he's nowhere near the driver max is but just goes to show even with a huge head start how fast things can go bad. realistically lewis probably has 2-3 more good years left in him so max isn't even guaranteed to win 1 in that time

lewis did start winning late in his career though so theoretically max can be on track to break records just by doing the math, but if you look at lewis' stats he's gotten podium something like 62% of races which is the most of any of the greats and won 35% of the races he was in. for reference, schumacher had 50% podiums and 29% wins, but if you take out his last 3 years where he didn't win a race and had no podiums those 2 stats become equal to lewis, but lewis is still going so it'll be interesting to see how he ends. just insane that he managed to break so many records and got that many podiums/wins in that amount of races considering he only started being dominant around 30, also not to mention the 100 poles lol. more races per season will benefit max but i find it better to look at the % versus the number of wins/podiums/etc when it comes to showing dominance
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 11:21 PM   #1645
Sleepy996
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to seeing what kind of strategies play out for the sprint weekend. Its going to be fun for the fans but miserable for the teams and drivers.
Old 16 July 2021, 08:22 PM   #1646
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I’m not well versed on the car changes for next year but this was a quick read.

Looks like the main goal was to reduce the reduction in downforce in the wake of another car…leading to closer racing.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...oGrbqp6ye.html
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 01:29 AM   #1647
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Here we go, the first-ever sprint race. Looking forward to it!

Old 18 July 2021, 02:06 AM   #1648
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
That was extremely meh.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 02:23 AM   #1649
77T

I saw some good points to it.

The grid for Sunday now reflects a broader spectrum of racecraft - not solely one fastest lap.

The points gained today could make a difference in Drivers Championship.

Each team now knows how their setup will perform in race mode vs. their competition (parc ferme)

Some tradeoffs- this isn’t really a race it’s a sprint qualifier. But it gives some room to improve if you got Qually all wrong - like ALO moving up several positions. (How about his opening lap? ) But also punishes mistakes harshly - see PER off track excursion’s outcome.

It was over too soon. Woulda liked 20 laps.

Old 18 July 2021, 02:27 AM   #1650
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo View Post
That was extremely meh.

Agree if you went into the session expecting fireworks. It was carefully managed by many teams.

But if you watched ALO in-car - it had some inspiring moments.

VET getting pole was a nice twist straight down the 17 laps.