The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 December 2010, 12:18 AM   #181
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
Fantastic thread. Your generosity for taking the time to answer these questions is very much appreciated. A happy and healthy holiday season to you and your family.
Old 23 December 2010, 12:26 AM   #182
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokyuryoku View Post
Nice score Anders I've often thought about trying to source one myself. Did you find it difficult to come by?

They can't be found here or in the US so I rang up an AD where my parents live on the continent and he was more than happy to sell me one and anything else I needed. Top bloke
Old 23 December 2010, 02:01 AM   #183
Catmonv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey again, I've had a check, and the pink floral dial is only available on the steel and rose model - looks like the floral dials are only in the same colour as the prominent metal on the watch, i.e. rhodium for steel, champagne for steel and yellow, and pink for steel and rose. It's unfortunate, because a pink dial would look lovely on the all steel model
Just to verify. The pink floral face comes only in two-tone in the 31 mm datejust which is a combo of steel and rose gold? Thnx for your reply in advance.
Old 23 December 2010, 05:21 AM   #184
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Chris, this is probably a question we'd all like to know the answer to.

When you're in the pub and you chat to birds and tell them you sell the finest watches for a living, do you find they a) think you're an English version of Puff Daddy and throw themselves at you or b) think you're a w@nker?

I hope for A but let's hear it from the horse's mouth
Mainly A, but with the odd case of B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Here's another question:

I have just bought an LV insert for my 16610 - would you be happy to swap this, pro bono, or do you normally charge? And would most ADs have an original Rolex bezel swap tool at hand?

It would be one we'd have to send to our watchmaker, and he would charge - how much is something I'd have to find out when he gets back after Christmas. Not sure about the tools, I would have thought if they had a fully trained Rolex watchmaker, he'd have a full Rolex toolkit
Old 23 December 2010, 05:21 AM   #185
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmonv View Post
Just to verify. The pink floral face comes only in two-tone in the 31 mm datejust which is a combo of steel and rose gold? Thnx for your reply in advance.
That's correct
Old 23 December 2010, 06:58 AM   #186
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This thread is still going STRONG! Awesome.

Ok, so, Chris, I walk into your shop and I want a Datejust, but, am confused by if I want a DJ or a DJII. How would you present the two families of watches?

Let's say I'm of average height and build, so, no body build analysis.....

Thanks!
Old 23 December 2010, 07:17 AM   #187
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
This thread is still going STRONG! Awesome.

Ok, so, Chris, I walk into your shop and I want a Datejust, but, am confused by if I want a DJ or a DJII. How would you present the two families of watches?

Let's say I'm of average height and build, so, no body build analysis.....

Thanks!
Well, first I would determine whether you wanted a steel or bi-metal model - that narrows things down a bit. I would then bring out an example of the Datejust II, a Datejust on Oyster, and a Datejust on Jubilee. I would probably go from a heritage point of view for the Datejust, how the basic design hasn't changed in 60 years, and how it'll remain a classy dress watch for a lifetime. The Datejust II I would sell as a more up to date watch, a more modern size, and the bigger wrist presence - I'd probably point to the new cal. 3136 too. At the end of the day, I can only lay the points on the table for the customer, and let them decide which feels right for them
Old 23 December 2010, 10:07 AM   #188
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Dealer Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
Hi Doug,

You might be surprised to hear this, but there is no formal training or training material available for a new sales assistant from Rolex. .
Chris:
Thanks for all the info. You mentioned no formal training. From somewhere ( I don't recall where ) I got a PDF of dealer traing cards. It dates back to 1998 or so. Have you seen a more recent version? If you haven't seen this I'll be glad to send it to you. Just PM me with your email.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
Old 23 December 2010, 12:19 PM   #189
Gottog

Quote:
Hi Carlos,

I will be honest with you here, I don't know as I haven't been told, so I can't confirm or deny the rumours. Sorry on that one
Could you follow up with Carlos' question about employee discounts on Rolex watches when you get to work? I'm curious about this as well. Are there special sales for AD employees where they can get to purchase a watch once a year at a great discount? Maybe it's not available for part timers. But for full time staffers? Thanks for the great thread!
Old 23 December 2010, 10:41 PM   #190
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
Chris:
Thanks for all the info. You mentioned no formal training. From somewhere ( I don't recall where ) I got a PDF of dealer traing cards. It dates back to 1998 or so. Have you seen a more recent version? If you haven't seen this I'll be glad to send it to you. Just PM me with your email.
Hey,

We did have a copy of the training booklet in a drawer somewhere, but as I've said, it's quite outdated now, and not really relevent any more. It would have been useful when the models listed were still current, but it's not right anymore. I appreciate the gesture, but I have seen them a few times before I'm currently working on my own training manual, compiling a full list of model families with proper technical information, history, available combinations etc. If I can get some time with Rolex UK, I'll pitch my training concept to them
Old 23 December 2010, 10:44 PM   #191
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottog View Post
Could you follow up with Carlos' question about employee discounts on Rolex watches when you get to work? I'm curious about this as well. Are there special sales for AD employees where they can get to purchase a watch once a year at a great discount? Maybe it's not available for part timers. But for full time staffers? Thanks for the great thread!
Without wanting to be rude, I don't think it would be my place to put that kind of information online, even if I did know the ins and outs - it's the kind of thing that could get me the sack, or cause serious problems for my place of work. I'm afraid it's the one question I'm not prepared to publish an answer on - I hope you understand. My apologies
Old 24 December 2010, 03:22 AM   #192
Gottog

Quote:
Without wanting to be rude, I don't think it would be my place to put that kind of information online, even if I did know the ins and outs - it's the kind of thing that could get me the sack, or cause serious problems for my place of work. I'm afraid it's the one question I'm not prepared to publish an answer on - I hope you understand. My apologies
Of course. I totally respect that.
Old 24 December 2010, 04:29 AM   #193
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottog View Post
Of course. I totally respect that.
Thanks for your understanding, Dave
Old 24 December 2010, 07:16 AM   #194
Daytonamania
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona/DSSD/LV
Chris , thanks for putting in so much time on this thread, its very good of you .

Just a quick question - Any news on the EXP2 orange hand for release next year or not ??
Got my name down for one just in case but will buy something else if it isn't going to happen .
Thanks in advance..
Nigel ..
Old 24 December 2010, 08:07 AM   #195
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonamania View Post
Chris , thanks for putting in so much time on this thread, its very good of you .

Just a quick question - Any news on the EXP2 orange hand for release next year or not ??
Got my name down for one just in case but will buy something else if it isn't going to happen .
Thanks in advance..
Nigel ..
Thankyou Nigel

All I know is that Rolex confirmed to my boss at Basel earlier this year that ther was indeed a new Explorer II planned, but was pulled at the very last minute. My feeling is that they didn't want it to clash with the launches of the new Sub and Explorer, so they put back the launch a year to give it a better chance. We'll know for sure in the Spring, but I would class it as very, very likely to be given an update
Old 24 December 2010, 09:24 AM   #196
Catmonv
"TRF" Member

Chris, during the last price increase last sept '10, did the sales per unit increase or did it go down? Which model was affected in your store? I just wonder why Rolex keeps on increasing their prices.
Old 25 December 2010, 04:26 AM   #197
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Hi Chris,

Happy Holidays!

I received an inquiry via my website from one asking whether Rolex has plans to discontinue the Turn-o-Graph. He had heard from an AD that Rolex is going to discontinue the TOG in 2011. Mind you, this AD is a mall chain that is notorious for making overstatements (okay, reality distortion) in order to make a sale (as well as requiring Stainless Daytona purchasers to engrave the caseback to thwart flipping on the gray market).

At any rate, had you heard of this in the UK?

-Sheldon
Old 25 December 2010, 10:39 AM   #198
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmonv View Post
Chris, during the last price increase last sept '10, did the sales per unit increase or did it go down? Which model was affected in your store? I just wonder why Rolex keeps on increasing their prices.
Hey - it was a very quiet summer for us anyway, so the final quarter has been much better. The one model that has been a little disappointing is the GMT IIc, but I think that has more to do with the launch of the Sub C more than anything else really. As for the price increases, it's mainly currency based - the Swiss Franc is currently pretty strong against the pound, and this latest price increase is, in fact, just bringing us in line with European prices, from the sounds of things
Old 25 December 2010, 10:42 AM   #199
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonsmith View Post
Hi Chris,

Happy Holidays!

I received an inquiry via my website from one asking whether Rolex has plans to discontinue the Turn-o-Graph. He had heard from an AD that Rolex is going to discontinue the TOG in 2011. Mind you, this AD is a mall chain that is notorious for making overstatements (okay, reality distortion) in order to make a sale (as well as requiring Stainless Daytona purchasers to engrave the caseback to thwart flipping on the gray market).

At any rate, had you heard of this in the UK?

-Sheldon
Hi Sheldon,

I will be honest and say that the TOG is probably one of the worst selling models in the Rolex line up. I can't remember the last time we actually had one in stock, and when we did, it hung around for a very long time. I think there may be a case arguing for it to be discontinued, but Rolex do like to hold on to their heritage - the TOG being such an important predecessor to both the GMT and the Sub, it would be a pretty big decision to completely kill it off. All I know for sure is that Rolex are tight lipped on the matter, and wouldn't be announcing such things to ADs outside of Basel, so I'm going to say that the AD is spouting BS

Chris
Old 25 December 2010, 10:54 AM   #200
clock
Banned

Chris,

Do you know if Rolex will debut a Datejust II with plain bezel?

Since you love the Datejust, which model(s) do you recommend? Do you prefer the 36mm size? Can you post some pics?

From your feedback at your store and the internet, do you most like the super case?
What is your preference?

Merry Christmas!
Old 25 December 2010, 11:31 AM   #201
crhfish

This thread is great and thanks for the information. I'm new to the forum, but have been collecting watches for 20 years. The last several years Rolex has put out some "unconservative" styles and dials. I think some of these may become big collectables. In your opinion, include your personal tastes, which Rolex right now do you think will be a collectable of the future.
Old 25 December 2010, 12:02 PM   #202
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
I love my TOG! Hell, it's a 'souped-up' Datejust. Anyway, I've often wondered what happens to watches taken on a trade-in. I bought a Rolex and within a year I realised it wasn't a daily wearer for me. It was in great shape w/box & papers and traded in at the AD I purchased originally. I got a fair trade value since I bought my replacement at the same time. So, what happens to the traded in watch? Thanks for reading and starting this killer thread. Mark
Old 26 December 2010, 12:16 AM   #203
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock View Post
Chris,

Do you know if Rolex will debut a Datejust II with plain bezel?

Since you love the Datejust, which model(s) do you recommend? Do you prefer the 36mm size? Can you post some pics?

From your feedback at your store and the internet, do you most like the super case?
What is your preference?

Merry Christmas!
I don't know if they'll introduce a flat bezel a la the Platinum DD II or not - my thinking is that it's unlikely. They've not touched the options on the DJ II since launch, although they have on the DD II - maybe they're just going to keep it as is. It would be nice if they did add some more dials and bezels, and maybe even a Jubilee bracelet too

With the Datejust, you can't really go wrong with any combination! A 116200 on Oyster with Black Arabic dial is my favourite (not that I'm biased by owning one ), but the 116234 on Jubilee with Tuxedo dial is a very sharp option too. I think two-tone suits the rose gold nicely, again with fluted bezel and Jubilee, maybe with a black roman dial. There are so many combinations out there, that's the beauty of the 36mm Datejust, you can really make it your own! Here's mine:

The reaction to the Supercase has been generally good - as with online, there are a hardcore of Rolex fans who prefer the old style cases, and that's absolutely fine as far as I'm concerned. What it has done is brought a new generation of owners into the brand, the reception amongst younger guys has been very good indeed. I personally love the Supercase, and all the additional improvements the new models have on them
Old 26 December 2010, 12:17 AM   #204
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhfish View Post
This thread is great and thanks for the information. I'm new to the forum, but have been collecting watches for 20 years. The last several years Rolex has put out some "unconservative" styles and dials. I think some of these may become big collectables. In your opinion, include your personal tastes, which Rolex right now do you think will be a collectable of the future.
I think there is only one watch in the line up at present that has any potential to be a collector's item in the future, and that is the white dial Milgauss. It has a combination of intrigue and a lack of sales that has that spark of individuality collectors like to seek out
Old 26 December 2010, 12:21 AM   #205
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
I love my TOG! Hell, it's a 'souped-up' Datejust. Anyway, I've often wondered what happens to watches taken on a trade-in. I bought a Rolex and within a year I realised it wasn't a daily wearer for me. It was in great shape w/box & papers and traded in at the AD I purchased originally. I got a fair trade value since I bought my replacement at the same time. So, what happens to the traded in watch? Thanks for reading and starting this killer thread. Mark
Glad you're enjoying your TOG

With trade ins, the way we normally do it is as follows:

1) Take in the watch against a higher valued one, as long as it is less than 10 years old, full box and paperwork, and preferably sold by us originally. In terms of prices, we'll give slightly less than market value, so that we can have a small margin and sell them in line with online resellers

2) If it needs a service, it'll be taken in and sent down to Rolex UK. The trade in value will take this into account as well

3) We put the watch, along with any other pre-owned watches we have, in a seperate cabinet from the new watches, and create notes describing the watch's history and information, i.e. model, how old it is, whether there are any retail or service guarantees outstanding.

4) We sell it

Hope this answers your question
Old 27 December 2010, 12:31 AM   #206
jizeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: neilswatches@gmail
Quote:
i know for a fact the AD my me gives the full timers 50% off on any Rolex in stock (no daytonas) one time.
Old 27 December 2010, 04:15 AM   #207
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Something I'm keen to know. Are Rolex AD's allowed to flog their non-watch merchandise?
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
Old 27 December 2010, 04:35 AM   #208
Gottog

Quote:
Hi Sheldon,

I will be honest and say that the TOG is probably one of the worst selling models in the Rolex line up. ...
To give it a slightly more positive tone...
I will be honest and say that the TOG is probably one of the "RAREST" selling models in the Rolex line up.
Old 27 December 2010, 04:41 AM   #209
Gottog

This is always a controversial subject with buyers/sellers. When taking a modern Rolex in trade. Let's say, less than 10 years old. If there were two identical watches. Same condition. Same serial letter/year. BUT one watch has the expired Rolex warranty paper/card. The other watch does not have the expired Rolex warranty paper/card.

1) Do you offer the same trade in value?
2) Do you sell it for the same pre-owned price?
3) If not, what is the premium for a watch with papers over a watch without papers?
Old 27 December 2010, 04:47 AM   #210
Sixxgrand1
Banned

Watch: EXP I & II
Milgauss GV Crystal...

I did not read all 208 replies so please forgive me if this question has been asked before...

Regarding the green sapphire on the Milgauss GV:
- mine cracked in the middle, do not recall hitting it on anything...my AD offered - quietly - to perhaps replace it under warranty...I traded the watch as I perceived the crystal to be too brittle and a point of fragility to an otherwise bulletproof Rolex.

Question: have you heard from Rolex, other AD's or personally seen/dealt with this issue on that model of Rolex?
Closed Thread