The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 March 2024, 09:26 AM   #61
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Paying a deposit is absurd only benefit is you do have a legal contract ie. offer acceptance and consideration.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 09:32 AM   #62
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Well, deposit was handed to my AD!

Any Datejust, with gold and diamonds, like the one pictured above, is much easier to acquire, than a lot of others. It’s not at all surprising, that he was able to get that one so quickly.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 12:56 AM   #63
smithnl3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Angus View Post
My first Rolex is on its way!

Paid my deposit to my local AD and she ordered my Datejust 41.

Reference: 126334 with the bright black dial.

My saleslady says it should be in by September but then gave me a smile and said "or sooner".

When can I really expect delivery? I mean a Datejust is not a Pepsi or Daytona...
Have you received any updates from your AD? I am in a similar situation. Gave interest in purchasing a GMT in June of 2023 and in January of 2024 my AD called and asked if I would put a deposit down (50%). Agreed to do so and my receipt shows a "ready by" date of 12/31/2024. Haven't given a ton of thought about the deposit because this is my dream watch, but now reading this thread has made me question my decision.
smithnl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 11:21 AM   #64
jpthib
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpthib View Post
Nice, which AD in Houston? I too put a deposit down at Deutsch on Westheimer and was quoted 6-8 months back in February. Honestly, if it’s the same AD, seems quite rare for them to do this and unique to the normal Rolex waitlist experience. I didn’t mind putting the 50% down to guarantee I get it (in demand DJ 41 config).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update - the DJ 41 blue dial jubilee flutes came in after 2 months after I put the 50% deposit down.

jpthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 08:31 PM   #65
btwistround
"TRF" Member

My local AD does this for Rolex. I think also for Patek as well.

Tudor also requires deposit.

IWC, Tag, Omega (unless it's the popular models) no deposit as far as I am aware.

Like Kat said, intention of purchase.
btwistround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 08:40 PM   #66
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
Congrats! The “or sooner” means they have one in the back, just want to make you wait a bit;)

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 08:45 PM   #67
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
Funny how everyone has to chime about how they would never pay a deposit. To each their own.. if OP is comfortable with it, let it be. There have been successful stories about placing deposits (i know, I know… also horror stories)
It’s a DJ, I’m sure it’ll be there soon.

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 09:46 PM   #68
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

I can't imagine too long. Glad they are letting Datejust orders back in.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 09:50 PM   #69
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
My first Rolex is on its way!

Paid my deposit to my local AD and she ordered my Datejust 41.

Reference: 126334 with the bright black dial.

My saleslady says it should be in by September but then gave me a smile and said "or sooner".

When can I really expect delivery? I mean a Datejust is not a Pepsi or Daytona...
This is not unheard of as the times are changing. According to my SA, deposits were not take during the pandemic as all models were ordered from the AD to Rolex. However, as demanded dropped for some model they have started to not order them from Rolex. This is why now you can order as a customer.
Giovannibravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 10:08 PM   #70
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpthib View Post
Update - the DJ 41 blue dial jubilee flutes came in after 2 months after I put the 50% deposit down.
Congratulations. It's a really nice watch.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 10:09 PM   #71
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Congratulations it’s a beautiful watch! I look forward to seeing pictures of it!
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 10:13 PM   #72
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
My AD takes half down deposits and it guarantees you will receive exact configuration requested within calendar year. They have been spot on so far……

Friend just used them as well and got the explorer 36 about 4 months after half down deposit. Exact quarter they predicted they would receive the watch.

I think the dealer world in more rural markets like where I am located is much different than NY, LA, Chicago, etc.

Hope everyone gets their watch soon!!!

Duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 10:59 PM   #73
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

I think this is just a way to hold someone’s feet to the fire to make them buy the watch they asked for once it comes in. These aren’t trading for more than retail anymore so it’s good on them to have a buyer lined up once Rolex allocates it. I don’t know why anyone would do this because they don’t do it for the hot models. They have plenty of people waiting for those. But they will do for the unpopular ones.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 02:56 AM   #74
KatGirl

The Datejust remains the best selling Rolex of all time.

Kat

Old 30 April 2024, 03:39 AM   #75
Duke10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondesNwatches View Post
I think this is just a way to hold someone’s feet to the fire to make them buy the watch they asked for once it comes in. These aren’t trading for more than retail anymore so it’s good on them to have a buyer lined up once Rolex allocates it. I don’t know why anyone would do this because they don’t do it for the hot models. They have plenty of people waiting for those. But they will do for the unpopular ones.

I did it for the VTNR and had a friend do it for the Daytona…….

Duke10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 04:09 AM   #76
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
make sure the AD is paying your at least 5% interest for the deposit
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 04:31 AM   #77
Osmin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
I’ve never put or been asked for a deposit and would never put one down. Crazy and to me a sign the AD has cash flow issues.
Agree. I would only pay if he guarantees me the price which is valid right now, whenever the watch arrives
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 04:34 AM   #78
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

Am I the only one that likes the deposit route? I wouldn't even mind to pay all up front if they can give a timeline, seems like a quick way to fix a lot of grey market issues.

I've never been asked to pay one but would happily do so if it helped. Could probably weed out half of the waitlists.
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 05:48 AM   #79
azmousss
"TRF" Member

interesting. in switzerland, in bucherer they had told me when the mint green dial date just i could get it on order. they guaranteed i would get it as its "order" as opposed to "wish list"- but its been what 3 years? how many years since that dial first came out? 3 years and still nothing. luckily i didnt have to put it a deposit. sincerely hope you get yours. fingers crossed.
azmousss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:03 AM   #80
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris242 View Post
Congrats! The “or sooner” means they have one in the back, just want to make you wait a bit;)

If they had it in the back I don't think they would have made him wait 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondesNwatches View Post
I did a deposit for a Daytona back in 2020 and most recently a Wimbledon. I did it to guarantee I would get both watches, which I did in less than two months each.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:10 AM   #81
Actor07

Watch: Rolex 126519
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post
I also paid a small deposit for an OF Daytona recently. AD told me it would arrive within 6-8 months. Got the call after 2,5 months.
That's great news. Congrats.

Which Daytona OF did you get?

I have the WG OF 12 series.
Actor07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:19 AM   #82
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

If the store is part of a large chain, some can request a watch. Maybe that means that within a few months, they likely get most every iteration. Or maybe that means that they have them in a vault within the various stores. A request like this can even be executed on a Turquoise OP for the right buyer at the right time. It's interesting how some "know" the processes that are in place and will state this. Many things can happen if the timing is right, and you have the right SA and you are serious about the purchase.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:31 AM   #83
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

With short-term TBills paying over 5%, ADs are well served taking as much of a deposit as the buyers are willing to leave. The longer the wait, the more they make on your money.
JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:43 AM   #84
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor07 View Post
That's great news. Congrats.

Which Daytona OF did you get?

I have the WG OF 12 series.
I'm also interested to know. I have always heard "no deposits or orders" on Daytona.

This topic in general
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:47 AM   #85
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Any Datejust, with gold and diamonds, like the one pictured above, is much easier to acquire, than a lot of others. It’s not at all surprising, that he was able to get that one so quickly.

Kat

That's what I've always heard too. I still get the same song and dance whenever I ask about one though - especially TT with rose gold. They will try to push a full rose gold instead.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:57 AM   #86
Actor07

Watch: Rolex 126519
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
I'm also interested to know. I have always heard "no deposits or orders" on Daytona.

This topic in general
I didn't know deposits on orders were a thing.
Actor07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 08:24 AM   #87
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Well, deposit was handed to my AD!

I think these threads often dissolve into people quoting internal practices within their specific AD and extrapolating it out as a Rolex Corp policy applying to all ADs when it’s really just their store.

I also think the deposit is just to get the potential buyer to put some skin in the game. Many states (including CA) you cannot hold the deposit if the customer changes their mind and must refund on demand, or some reasonable time if the customer asks for the deposit back before delivery. I know my AD has never accepted deposits, or at least not in the last five years I have worked with them. I’ve actually offered to put up a deposit to quicken delivery and they said there was no point.

It’s also possible things are changing with ordering and the non-hype watches (like a DJ) are becoming available to order. Definitely possible. But these deposit policies are surely limited to that specific store and not a Rolex policy being applied to all retailers.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 08:37 AM   #88
cascadez71
"TRF" Member

Interested in a specific steel 31 date just and local dealers in pac nw (ben bridge) have stated no way to order. Had not heard of the intent to purchase program, I feel that if TX/Louisiana dealers have access to this, WA should have access no?

Inquired 6 months prior with one or two texts back and forth since then.
cascadez71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 09:24 AM   #89
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had no problem putting down a deposit. I have made business decisions all of my adult life. This does not scare me like it does some people. Six months of interest at 5% on $5,000 is like $125. I think I'll make ends meet till September.

AD has a very good reputation here in town. If this is what it takes to get my first Rolex, I'm good.
I hope they deliver soon. Post pics when you can
DC116710LN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 12:42 PM   #90
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I think these threads often dissolve into people quoting internal practices within their specific AD and extrapolating it out as a Rolex Corp policy applying to all ADs when it’s really just their store.

I also think the deposit is just to get the potential buyer to put some skin in the game. Many states (including CA) you cannot hold the deposit if the customer changes their mind and must refund on demand, or some reasonable time if the customer asks for the deposit back before delivery. I know my AD has never accepted deposits, or at least not in the last five years I have worked with them. I’ve actually offered to put up a deposit to quicken delivery and they said there was no point.

It’s also possible things are changing with ordering and the non-hype watches (like a DJ) are becoming available to order. Definitely possible. But these deposit policies are surely limited to that specific store and not a Rolex policy being applied to all retailers.

I think it is a Rolex policy, because Rolex stopped it for several months , not that long ago, but have since reinstated it, based on posts from people who live in different parts of the US. I know my AD, in CA, uses it.

Kat