The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 15 March 2024, 11:23 PM   #1
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Actually, the whole watch industry copies from the past and other manufacturers in terms of case design, dials and movement structure. Some designs are iconic, and time tested, and everyone uses them once the patents run out. I actually have a homage Sub coming and will share when it arrives next month.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:27 PM   #2
Saransh
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Rootbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Actually, the whole watch industry copies from the past and other manufacturers in terms of case design, dials and movement structure. Some designs are iconic, and time tested, and everyone uses them once the patents run out. I actually have a homage Sub coming and will share when it arrives next month.
please do share !

I just saw a beautiful San Martin but it looks very similar to my BB58.
Saransh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 11:41 PM   #3
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
I think there's a fine like all things. Some "homage" watches use similar but broad design language while others are just straight copies with a different logo.

Until Rolex turns back the clock to 2015 when you could just walk in to a shop, hand over a bunch of money and walk out with anything you want, I'm all for micro brands making beautiful watches that clearly pay homage to the big name watches.

There's one homage watch that always has me baffled though. It's the The Gevril “Paul Newman” Daytona. I've seen it on the market for like $4000-5000. What's the deal with that watch? It seems to be valuable (relatively) and collectible.

If you don't mind me asking which Sub homage are you getting and what is the price point?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 07:05 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I think there's a fine like all things. Some "homage" watches use similar but broad design language while others are just straight copies with a different logo.

Until Rolex turns back the clock to 2015 when you could just walk in to a shop, hand over a bunch of money and walk out with anything you want, I'm all for micro brands making beautiful watches that clearly pay homage to the big name watches.

There's one homage watch that always has me baffled though. It's the The Gevril “Paul Newman” Daytona. I've seen it on the market for like $4000-5000. What's the deal with that watch? It seems to be valuable (relatively) and collectible.

If you don't mind me asking which Sub homage are you getting and what is the price point?
https://ginault.com/ocean-rover-ii-201175/
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:55 AM   #5
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Might be a bit controversial but honest.

Quote:

Me, too, and is yours made to order, so to speak?
To answer the original question, a lot of people would love to buy a Rolex, but can’t afford one. So, they buy a similar looking watch, for a few hundred bucks. Who can blame them? As long as it doesn’t say Rolex on the dial, there is nothing wrong with buying and wearing an homage. Some folks here are offended by them. It’s a good way to see if you might like a real Rolex, of the very similar aesthetic. As someone else said, lots of famous brands have homages. Everybody and his brother makes a tank, a la Cartier.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote