The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 11 June 2020, 12:25 AM   #31
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquarter View Post
I opened a chat with a dealer for a NOS Rolex. They ghosted me after I sent this rather lengthy request for additional photos.

--
a. The dial - set time to 8.45, GMT hand to the 4 position (= 8 position on the GMT bezel), set date to 17th
b. Close up of each of the 4 lugs
c. Crystal & bezel at an angle with light's reflection (want to see if there are any scratches)
d. Case side (both sides) & crown
e. Case back
f. Bracelet clasp
g. Photo of the bracelet open
h. Photo of watch, box and papers together
i. Open the paper and take a photo
j. Remove the bracelet, take photo of the serial number (must match papers)
k. Open the case back to show the movement
--

I admit the list is pretty long and it looks like a lot of work. However, the theme of the advice I read online was to be as thorough as possible. The listing already had some of the photos I requested, but my concern was they weren't high res - ie you couldn't see the tiny uni-directional lines of the brushing on the case. So even though the watch is still stickered, I can't see if there's any scratches etc. Perhaps I've asked for too much too soon.

Anyway I was looking for advice:
1) How do you guys typically engage with the dealer? (getting all your detailed questions answered without them putting you in the the "too hard" basket)

2) Does the type of questions you ask differ depending on whether it's been worn vs never worn/NOS? (In a different interaction, a seller basically shouted at me for asking whether the NOS he was selling had any blemishes or scratches.)

3) And what's the best way for me to salvage this interaction? the dealer's profile seems solid, they were responsive before I sent the above and they really want the piece.

You’re in your right to ask for all those pictures. With today all the super fakes and horrible stories we read daily.
That been said, I would skip all the paranoia and worries altogether and stick to buy new from AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 June 2020, 12:27 AM   #32
Overwound
"TRF" Member

In one way you may have found someone that doesn't have the watch and can't comply with your first request. It's possible but not certain. So, maybe good or he's just not willing to comply to your list.

Requests "b" through "i" are completely reasonable and many trusted sellers provide this as standard practice.

Once you get to "j" and "k" you're going to loose a lot of seller's attention. Taking the chance of scratching the bracelet or lug to show the serial number between the lugs isn't something unheard of but not routine. Asking a reseller to open a NOS watch is another above and beyond type of requests. This risks damage to the gasket, threading or foreign particulates getting into the movement if the seller doesn't have all the correct tools and knowledge. While it's not a difficult task trusting anyone to do this could lead to some bad results.

If you stick with your points "b" through ''i", and be sure to purchase from a respectable seller who gives an inspection/return period, you can confirm the other points hands on or use a local Rolex certified watchmaker nearby to verify for you.

Good luck! I have to say, it's better to be extra cautious as you've been rather than purchase quickly and discover trouble down the road.
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 12:30 AM   #33
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
If I was the seller, I would have been pretty convinced you would find a little scratch somewhere from handling and would want to return the watch. When I buy a watch, even from an AD, I expect some very slight handling marks - no problem since I will have more the first wearing. Your values are yours and may differ, but I can well understand a seller that chooses not to deal with them.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 01:10 AM   #34
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
They ghosted me after I sent this rather lengthy request for additional photos.
I concur with everyone else that said that you asked too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
I sell items on ebay and my policy is to block any potential buyers who ask too many questions.
I don't block anyone, but I've noticed that the people who ask all the questions never win the auction, if they even bother to bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post
For non trusted members. I cant see why removing the caseback would be too much of a job.
Because a) you run the risk of scratching it and b) technically you need to replace the gasket and have the watch pressure tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
That been said, I would skip all the paranoia and worries altogether and stick to buy new from AD.
This, for you, OP. That's the only way you'll be happy and secure.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 01:19 AM   #35
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
I think the simple answer is to be reasonable. I’d ghost you myself if I received the same request, which seems a bit much IMHO.

Agree.

BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 01:25 AM   #36
Zoomerang
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600
I'd probably have entertained most of your requests except i,j,k.

I wouldn't risk damaging the watch to remove the bracelet and caseback and certainly I wouldn't share the s/n.
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 01:36 AM   #37
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
For me the open the caseback on a NOS watch request was an instant break the glass and firmly depress the ejection button. When we get Opus Magnus type emails with a 100 questions we ignore since it is too timely to respond to and they never fail to be problematic customers with never ending phone calls and emails.
Sometimes the best sales are the ones you didn't get.

I would try to call the dealer if you can get their info and have a reasonable talk with them if you really want the watch. You may be able to convince him you're not going to be a never ending problem and he can assuage your concerns of getting scammed.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 01:44 AM   #38
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
There is always another buyer and there is always another watch...Ghosting this thread now!
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 01:48 AM   #39
yoast
"TRF" Member

In my experience, The more questions people have, the less likely they are to buy.
If they do buy, they will find something wrong or return the item.

Seems you are in hk, probably the only place in the world where pretty much any watch ever made can be found. Just source whatever you are looking for locally.
Old 11 June 2020, 03:03 AM   #40
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
I agree that buying luxury items on the Internet is not a fit for you.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 03:06 AM   #41
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I don‘t know any seller of a NOS who is willing to open this .
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 03:12 AM   #42
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's fair enough that people suggest that I keep my requests reasonable, but as I haven't done this before I don't have a frame of reference as to what's "reasonable". Initially I thought the list of requested photos which comprehensively cover the whole watch would be reasonable considering the price of the watch is $20k. If that's not reasonable then what is?

So far there's a lot of feedback saying not to do it the way I did, but could someone give an example of how they've previously handled it with a dealer? E.g. do you:

1) ask a lot of questions, but space them out so it's not too much at once (but then your pre-purchase conversation ends up spanning multiple days)
2) ask fewer questions, and bank more on your judgement of the seller's feedback rating on C24 + other customer feedback you've managed to find outside the platform
3) maybe some kind of middle ground where you only ask the "most important questions" - what are they for you?
4) some other approach?
1-3. No

4. Yes. Buy in person from AD.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 03:26 AM   #43
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
You’re in your right to ask for all those pictures. With today all the super fakes and horrible stories we read daily.

Agree
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 03:53 AM   #44
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
Yeah, for a NOS, particularly these 2 would be a no-go:

I totally agree. I'm not a trader but consider these requests unreasonable. For what concerns the photos you want, it depends on the good-will / need to sell of the trader.
Bruno Datejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 04:03 AM   #45
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
For me the open the caseback on a NOS watch request was an instant break the glass and firmly depress the ejection button.
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 04:36 AM   #46
Rowlf
Banned

Anytime someone starts asking me to “set the time” and “change the date” it’s a no-go.

Ask yourself before sending an inquiry: “is this a reasonable request?”

And then ask yourself: “would I be willing to accommodate it?”
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 04:56 AM   #47
waynorth
"TRF" Member

If you sound like a Karen, then I would not be "sharin" or selling my watch to you.
waynorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 07:00 AM   #48
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
a. The dial - set time to 8.45, GMT hand to the 4 position (= 8 position on the GMT bezel), set date to 17th
c. Crystal & bezel at an angle with light's reflection (want to see if there are any scratches)
e. Case back
f. Bracelet clasp
That is pretty funny and no surprise the seller blanked you.

For anything current I wouldn't buy anywhere except an AD.

For vintage and 'NOS' I'd say find a seller with a proven track record, just go with their description and photos, buy on CC and if it looks correct on arival then put the watch into your nearest RSC for a service quote. You don't have to go ahead with the service but for a smallish fee they will assess the watch and will certainly flag up anything fishy about it - far better than you could by looking at a picture of an open case.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 07:31 AM   #49
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Your list makes you seem high maintenance and impossible to please.

I would have at least responded to your message and engaged with you. If I didn’t want to do business with you, I would tell you.

I’ve waived off from a seller here when I realized he would only read the first line of any message and no showed a meeting. He obviously didn’t give a shit.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 07:37 AM   #50
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
I opened a chat with a dealer for a NOS Rolex. They ghosted me after I sent this rather lengthy request for additional photos.

--
e. Case back
f. Bracelet clasp
--

I admit the list is pretty long and it looks like a lot of work. However, the theme of the advice I read online was to be as thorough as possible. The listing already had some of the photos I requested, but my concern was they weren't high res - ie you couldn't see the tiny uni-directional lines of the brushing on the case. So even though the watch is still stickered, I can't see if there's any scratches etc. Perhaps I've asked for too much too soon.

Anyway I was looking for advice:
1) How do you guys typically engage with the dealer? (getting all your detailed questions answered without them putting you in the the "too hard" basket)

2) Does the type of questions you ask differ depending on whether it's been worn vs never worn/NOS? (In a different interaction, a seller basically shouted at me for asking whether the NOS he was selling had any blemishes or scratches.)

3) And what's the best way for me to salvage this interaction? the dealer's profile seems solid, they were responsive before I sent the above and they really want the piece.
The seller may be thinking “if this is what he’s like at the enquiry stage, he will be a nightmare after the sale too”

Not saying that’s true or false, but the seller might just be thinking “NEXT” and waiting on the next customer
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 08:53 AM   #51
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Advice please - first time trying to buy on C24, got ghosted

Quote:
It's fair enough that people suggest that I keep my requests reasonable, but as I haven't done this before I don't have a frame of reference as to what's "reasonable". Initially I thought the list of requested photos which comprehensively cover the whole watch would be reasonable considering the price of the watch is $20k. If that's not reasonable then what is?

So far there's a lot of feedback saying not to do it the way I did, but could someone give an example of how they've previously handled it with a dealer? E.g. do you:

1) ask a lot of questions, but space them out so it's not too much at once (but then your pre-purchase conversation ends up spanning multiple days)
2) ask fewer questions, and bank more on your judgement of the seller's feedback rating on C24 + other customer feedback you've managed to find outside the platform
3) maybe some kind of middle ground where you only ask the "most important questions" - what are they for you?
4) some other approach?

I’ve asked less questions for a $75K watch. Why? Because I only buy from long-term trusted sellers with a lengthy history of standing behind their offering.

But to answer your query, I categorize my information needs in hierarchy.

1) Showstoppers: issues that would cause me to walk away no matter what the other answers might be.
2) Conditional: issues that would make me expect a lower final price.
3) Procedural: issues that can be worked out after 1 & 2 are cleared up.

I don’t flood the seller with questions. No more than 1 or 2 per communique.

So in your case, I would’ve started with visible proof that the watch is in hand and a list of references.

The last queries are things like payment methods and shipping.

In between you might ask for enough info that the seller would still consider you a viable buyer and not a mettlesome tire kicker.

Just my 2¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 09:05 AM   #52
mpct5011
"TRF" Member

Advice please - first time trying to buy on C24, got ghosted

Your 1st request is way over the top. I’d reply to you, but you wouldn’t like my response. You sound like the type of person who will get the watch, immediately complain about it stating you’re returning it, but still wear it for a few days.
mpct5011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 10:23 AM   #53
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

OP, I don’t think you’re confident enough to make this purchase online. No disrespect intended at all but basically, yes, your list is unreasonable and as a seller I’d probably ghost you and move on.
This isn’t the type of business any sellers have got time for. It comes across more as an accusation that says ‘it looks like you’re selling a fake unless you prove all these requests to me’.
You need to do your due diligence by checking more than the watch. Check out the seller. What’s the sellers history and do they have good feedback? What other types of watches are they selling and how long have they been in business? It’s that sort of thing you need to be checking.
If all that checks out then buy the watch. If there’s a problem after that and you know they’re a good seller then you should be taken care of anyway.
That’s how you should go about it. If you can’t do that, you’re best course of action is to only buy from an AD in person.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 10:30 AM   #54
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lugs View Post
I think the simple answer is to be reasonable. I’d ghost you myself if I received the same request, which seems a bit much IMHO.
Ditto. A bit excessive (over excessive), why deal with that if there are other interested prospects.
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 10:32 AM   #55
s14roller
"TRF" Member

What watch?
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 10:46 AM   #56
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Goodness me....

Opening the case back is an absolute no no unless essential works required imo.
Crazy list.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 10:53 AM   #57
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I'm not saying you're wrong in your request, as it's a big purchase, but if I was the seller, you sound too needy and are a potential headache down the road. I wouldn't ghost you, but I'd respectfully decline further dealings.

.....to clarify, I'm not saying you are these things, you asked for opinions / interpretations.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 12:51 PM   #58
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Overkill.

No offense but I would not sell you a watch, you're very likely to be unsatisfied and become a problem down the road.

Buy at an AD a new watch, just don't expect them to open the watch to show you the movement...
Old 11 June 2020, 12:56 PM   #59
Caramba
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I sell things on line. Not watches.

I deal with enquiries and what I regard as reasonable questions promptly and politely. When I get an enquiry with a long list of questions, experience has taught me that they tend to follow up with more questions and ultimately don't buy. If I get such enquiries I ignore them. It is possible that I am binning some genuine potential sales, but it's not worth my time. My feedback, ratings and guarantees should be enough. If someone doesn't trust me they should buy from someone else.
Amen to this answer.
Caramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2020, 01:13 PM   #60
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I probably wouldn't even respond to your request. Setting the positions on the watch before you pay, that's sort of reasonable. Outside of that, I would have no interest as a seller. A laundry list of questions like that would lead me to believe you are going to be a pain to deal with.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote