The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Closed Thread

Old 19 May 2009, 01:56 PM   #1
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
JNOV reneged on a deal.

So
I have a vintage Omega for sale here.
JNov contacted me and made me and offer below my asking price.
I told him I would take his offer as he was a forum donor and I like
to help those who help.... He also said he was going to keep it for himself
and not sell it so that was more reason to take his offer as I wanted it to go
to someone who'd appreciate it.
I marked my ad SPF as he said we had a deal and that he was going to the post office the next day to get USPS MO's as that was my preferred method
of payment.
Week goes by no contact and no funds.
Contact him Friday morning to ask what is going on and did not hear
back from him till today and he told me he found one on Ebay and went
that direction instead....
Thanks for telling me, thanks for being a man of your word....

A Flake is a flake and I call em as I see em and JNOV IS A BIG FLAKE - in my opinion.

Though this opinion is not shared by Paul - Welshwatchman.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
Old 20 May 2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Jeremy, thanks for informing us, I will make sure to stay away from this buyer. Sorry he wasted your time!

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 20 May 2009, 05:10 AM   #3
WatchTimes

The funny part is he claims he found one on Ebay
later in the night after he told me he would take it
AND
He decided to ruin his reputation to save $20 by buying off Ebay.
I highly doubt he even found the same watch on Ebay and just
isn't good enough to stand behind his word or decent enough to
tell someone he couldn't follow through with his promise.

Old 21 May 2009, 02:07 PM   #4
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I had an experience here a little over a year ago. A guy in Istanbul wanted my watch and I flew through there often. It got ugly before anything changed hands.

You just cannot be too careful!
Old 21 May 2009, 02:13 PM   #5
djhiram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600 Sea Dweller
If you are man enough to make a promise, be man enough to let the other person know if you are going to back out! These stories make me sick to my stomach

Sorry for your bad experience

- Charriol Columbus Chrono M.O.P Dial
- Handfull of G-Shocks
- Rolex Bluesy
Co-Founder of the Brothers of the Leaf Society
Old 21 May 2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Wolfgang427

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Welcome to sellers reality. I've had the same watch sold 8-times and still no one comes threw with the funds, let alone a simple "I changed my mind" reply email back.
Old 21 May 2009, 03:10 PM   #7
WatchTimes

Well hopefully we can post about these jokers here so others wont waste their time when getting an offer from those people....

If I saw a long time well known member of this forum posted a message like mine and the buyer in question contacted me for a purchase Id be happy telling them "nahhh go waste someone elses time, Ive already read about your games.... Bye Bye"

Old 21 May 2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
I'm not trying to be on JNOV side. I don't even know this person. But I thought as a seller, the item is not sold until money arrives. It's alway money talks no matter what. It's just business, nothing personal.
Old 21 May 2009, 03:57 PM   #9
DAVIDSW
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: 1655 EXP
Here are several examples of what a buyer should not do:

1) Make an offer and when the seller accepts....poof.....buyer is gone like a ghost.

2)Ask for all types of specific photos and when they are sent the buyer then stops communication.

3) Give the seller his word it is sold and back out after 24hrs....

IMO once a buyer gives his word he should have done all his homework on the seller and feel confident going foward and not waste the sellers time.

I can tell you from my own experience that this forum is the best when it comes to "True Gentleman" ....Men and Women that keep their word....

Here and there you will encounter the typical timewasters but they are pretty easy to spot.

To all the TRF good guys out there
Old 22 May 2009, 01:26 AM   #10
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVIDSW View Post
Here are several examples of what a buyer should not do:

1) Make an offer and when the seller accepts....poof.....buyer is gone like a ghost.

2)Ask for all types of specific photos and when they are sent the buyer then stops communication.

3) Give the seller his word it is sold and back out after 24hrs....

IMO once a buyer gives his word he should have done all his homework on the seller and feel confident going foward and not waste the sellers time.

I can tell you from my own experience that this forum is the best when it comes to "True Gentleman" ....Men and Women that keep their word....

Here and there you will encounter the typical timewasters but they are pretty easy to spot.

To all the TRF good guys out there

I couldn't agree more David!!! I can't tell you how many people have wasted my time inquiring about my GMT Pepsi... It's frustrating! They ask a million questions and request more photos and then POOF, they're gone! Not even a 'thanks but no thanks'. One agreed to buy my watch and I held it for him...was about to send bank info when he suddenly 'got cold feet'....I really don't want to hear from people who aren't serious buyers.
Old 22 May 2009, 01:43 AM   #11
DAVIDSW
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I couldn't agree more David!!! I can't tell you how many people have wasted my time inquiring about my GMT Pepsi... It's frustrating! They ask a million questions and request more photos and then POOF, they're gone! Not even a 'thanks but no thanks'. One agreed to buy my watch and I held it for him...was about to send bank info when he suddenly 'got cold feet'....I really don't want to hear from people who aren't serious buyers.
KCMO,
I know your frustration.... IMO if after 5 emails the deal has not been closed then I lose interest. I try to give the buyer as much information as they need upfront so I can avoid silly questions.

Buyers need to understand that a persons time is a precious thing... On the Sales Forum they are able to receive prices that the "Average First Time Buyer" WILL NEVER GET at their local AD.

I am always open to answer any and all questions and if myself and a prospective buyer cannnot come to a deal on a particular piece then maybe later on down the line we can do something on another piece but don't burn bridges by just dissapearing like a GHOST.........POOF......

Best
DavidSW
Old 22 May 2009, 01:50 AM   #12
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
KCMO,
I know your frustration.... IMO if after 5 emails the deal has not been closed then I lose interest. I try to give the buyer as much information as they need upfront so I can avoid silly questions.

Buyers need to understand that a persons time is a precious thing... On the Sales Forum they are able to receive prices that the "Average First Time Buyer" WILL NEVER GET at their local AD.

I am always open to answer any and all questions and if myself and a prospective buyer cannnot come to a deal on a particular piece then maybe later on down the line we can do something on another piece but don't burn bridges by just dissapearing like a GHOST.........POOF......

Best
DavidSW
You said it! I treat others as I would want to be treated...with courtesy and respect....it's really not a lot to ask for!
Old 22 May 2009, 02:11 AM   #13
Bebot
"TRF" Member

If you’re a seller of any item, be ready to answer all kinds of questions from a potential buyer. Not every buyer is a sure buyer. People do change their mind regardless. Most of the buyer that has a change of heart perhaps does not know every detail that they need to know about the item.

How many of you sellers bought an item in the store and returned it after taking it home.

If you are in sales and you have a short patient, then shouldn’t be in a selling business.

I have a buyer here for one of my watch I am selling and he asks me for all kinds detail photos and history of the watch and learned that he a change of heart. Of course I upset, but I did not write all kind shit about the potential buyer.

Like I said before, it is just business nothing personal.
Old 22 May 2009, 02:19 AM   #14
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebot View Post
If you’re a seller of any item, be ready to answer all kinds of questions from a potential buyer. Not every buyer is a sure buyer. People do change their mind regardless. Most of the buyer that has a change of heart perhaps does not know every detail that they need to know about the item.

How many of you sellers bought an item in the store and returned it after taking it home.

If you are in sales and you have a short patient, then shouldn’t be in a selling business.

I have a buyer here for one of my watch I am selling and he asks me for all kinds detail photos and history of the watch and learned that he a change of heart. Of course I upset, but I did not write all kind shit about the potential buyer.

Like I said before, it is just business nothing personal.
If someone changes their mind for a legitimate reason, then I have no issues with it. I just expect the courtesy of a response. Vanishing into thin air is just tacky.
Old 22 May 2009, 02:24 AM   #15
DAVIDSW
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

It goes both ways as well.

If you are a buyer don't make an offer if you cannot complete payment....

There is no reason a buyer can have for asking for all kinds of detailed photos and information and just dissapearing and not returning any correspondence....All he has to say is I will keep it in mind and let you know...simple

I have sold many many watches on this GREAT forum to really great guys that I consider comrades with a common interest and I am always willing to answer any questions no matter the time of day.

Business is Business and a mans word is his word... If you can't keep your word... don't make promises...

Best
DavidSW
Old 22 May 2009, 02:32 AM   #16
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It goes both ways as well.

If you are a buyer don't make an offer if you cannot complete payment....

There is no reason a buyer can have for asking for all kinds of detailed photos and information and just dissapearing and not returning any correspondence....All he has to say is I will keep it in mind and let you know...simple

I have sold many many watches on this GREAT forum to really great guys that I consider comrades with a common interest and I am always willing to answer any questions no matter the time of day.

Business is Business and a mans word is his word... If you can't keep your word... don't make promises...

Best
DavidSW
Old 22 May 2009, 02:34 AM   #17
Bebot
"TRF" Member

I’d used to own an internet base retail business in motorcycle parts. Been through to a lot of buyers and I mean all kinds of buyers. I have a buyer that returned an item after it was installed and there is really nothing I can do. As business man and a seller, what I cannot do is bad mouthing a customer. With this day and age of computer, customer can always spread the words and we all know that bad words goes further and get spread more than the good word.
Old 22 May 2009, 02:37 AM   #18
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Best
DavidSW
David,

I hear you. Unfotunately when it comes to sales, this does not exist because even the sellers does not keep their words. Not all, but they do exist.
Old 22 May 2009, 02:59 AM   #19
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Here's my view.

He's NOT a flake. He is amongst the minority of those here who pledge to help pay for the running of the forums.

I am editing your title and original thread.

Jeez, he just changed his mind and made the mistake of not telling you. It's not as if you have to pay relisting and final sale fees.
Old 22 May 2009, 03:40 AM   #20
TimeToGo

I made a mistake on this forum and that was that. It was similar to your situation, great communication w/acceptance of the transaction, exchange of address (even wire information) and I jumped the gun with mailing the watch. I lost, my bad. Learned my lesson.

Since then, I have sold a couple of watches here and everything has been GREAT! But in between those sales, I can not tell the number of times potential buyers contacted me, exchanged more information and pictures, committed to the final sale and at the end of the day - NO MORE COMMUNICATION. (But I did not ship the watch this time LOL)

I like the rules DavidSW posted above. These rules are what a person would call a "common courtesy" exchange, follow up, and open communication. But that is not the case with all people.

It is a shame the exchange of information fell through in this example. Things happen for a reason. Post it again, you may sell it for your initial asking price.

Good luck!
Old 22 May 2009, 03:54 AM   #21
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
I made a mistake on this forum and that was that. It was similar to your situation, great communication w/acceptance of the transaction, exchange of address (even wire information) and I jumped the gun with mailing the watch. I lost, my bad. Learned my lesson.

Since then, I have sold a couple of watches here and everything has been GREAT! But in between those sales, I can not tell the number of times potential buyers contacted me, exchanged more information and pictures, committed to the final sale and at the end of the day - NO MORE COMMUNICATION. (But I did not ship the watch this time LOL)

I like the rules DavidSW posted above. These rules are what a person would call a "common courtesy" exchange, follow up, and open communication. But that is not the case with all people.

It is a shame the exchange of information fell through in this example. Things happen for a reason. Post it again, you may sell it for your initial asking price.

Good luck!
Maybe a little too late, but sorry to hear what happened.

No matter how well you know the person, you just can't send an item without payment.

I have a good friend that wants to make a payment on my watch. I told him that I would like to keep our friendship. Now if I lose his friendship because of this, well at least I still have my watch.
Old 22 May 2009, 04:32 AM   #22
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Watch: Me!!!
We had a similar post before posted by tempoking..to respect the sellers property...rediculous offers and when you say deal you dont see them again...As a seller we try to give you the best price possible for you to have the watch you have dreamed about...Me and david talk everyday and we try to vent on each others frustration...people commiting to buy then after 3-4 days they tell you i found a cheaper one if you cant match it we dont have a deal...this is frustrating because most item we sell are brand new and we need to write down buyers name on the card...I have one incident that this guy ordered a GV from me...we talk on the phone and he said done deal paying after 2 days...since the GV is one hot watch i need to have his name on it so that it wont go to somebody...but guess what? he said he tried another watch a gmt ceramic..now he wanted that one...even with the deposit his name is already in the card..what do you think i should do if he doesnt want to get the Gv anymore? can i stop him? NO cant i tell him you need to pay the watch? Yes i can but he can still say i dont like it anymore...as much as we wanted to help most people here to get the cheapest price possible..please try to respect us too...if you cant buy it dont commit simple as that..we are very nice and very lenient to almost all buyers...a simple request of respect would be nice too..couple of days a friend of mine sold a watch international and you guys know him..very well respected seller...i have done so many transaction with him..he sells brand new watches and never had failed to impress the members here with his impeccable feedback....after the watch was ship seller says the watch is not new...needs a refund of $400....knowing this guy he would never ever sell any watches unless its not specified....guess what they settled for $200 refund..even the watch is brand spanking new...he just said the watch has no stickers....
Old 22 May 2009, 04:42 AM   #23
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Here's my view.

He's NOT a flake. He is amongst the minority of those here who pledge to help pay for the running of the forums.

I am editing your title and original thread.

Jeez, he just changed his mind and made the mistake of not telling you. It's not as if you have to pay relisting and final sale fees.
Hi Paul, I just want to put in my 2 cents here. I have sold one watch on this forum and the transaction was flawless. But I kind of have to disagree with your posting on this one. Are you saying just because he donated to the forum (a very, very small price to pay to help support this place), he deserves a pass? If so, then what's to stop someone else from paying the 13 dollars or whatever it is to help support this forum and try to either 1) screw a seller out of an item or 2) flake out on future deals. 13 dollars is pocket change (even to me, and I make squat for money as a doctoral student) compared to a thousand dollars plus for the cost of some older watches (non-Rolex). To me there's a big difference. I think it's also important to note that the OP (JYogi) gave him a better deal as a result of being a supporter of this forum and the guy agreed, said the money was on the way, and never paid up and only after being prodded mentioned that he got it from somewhere else.

I personally think that this should be pointed out here as this is of concern to our reputable sellers on this forum. While true, it did not cost anything to list it, it did add time to now getting this watch moved. I think it was disrespectful of the buyer to do this. Now I do agree if the guy had asked for additional pictures, and a price was negotiated, but the buyer didn't say "I'll take it for that", then there is no flaking that occurred. But if they say, the money will be on its way, and it doesn't come, then yep, that's a flake and needs to be mentioned so other sellers may be aware that this may occur with this buyer.

I just don't think that being a donor to this site should buy you a pass for something like this. I think that even if you are not a donor, but have a solid reputation goes much further than being a donor with very little reputation.

FcB
Old 22 May 2009, 04:50 AM   #24
drtooth73
Banned

Watch: TT GMT IIC
Quote:

I am always willing to answer any questions no matter the time of day.

Best
DavidSW

I can attest to that.
DavidSW was super helpful to me on several occasions!
Old 22 May 2009, 05:00 AM   #25
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtooth73 View Post
I can attest to that.
DavidSW was super helpful to me on several occasions!
Bill your one of the good guys...
Old 22 May 2009, 05:19 AM   #26
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablojota View Post
Hi Paul, I just want to put in my 2 cents here. I have sold one watch on this forum and the transaction was flawless. But I kind of have to disagree with your posting on this one. Are you saying just because he donated to the forum (a very, very small price to pay to help support this place), he deserves a pass? If so, then what's to stop someone else from paying the 13 dollars or whatever it is to help support this forum and try to either 1) screw a seller out of an item or 2) flake out on future deals. 13 dollars is pocket change (even to me, and I make squat for money as a doctoral student) compared to a thousand dollars plus for the cost of some older watches (non-Rolex). To me there's a big difference. I think it's also important to note that the OP (JYogi) gave him a better deal as a result of being a supporter of this forum and the guy agreed, said the money was on the way, and never paid up and only after being prodded mentioned that he got it from somewhere else.

I personally think that this should be pointed out here as this is of concern to our reputable sellers on this forum. While true, it did not cost anything to list it, it did add time to now getting this watch moved. I think it was disrespectful of the buyer to do this. Now I do agree if the guy had asked for additional pictures, and a price was negotiated, but the buyer didn't say "I'll take it for that", then there is no flaking that occurred. But if they say, the money will be on its way, and it doesn't come, then yep, that's a flake and needs to be mentioned so other sellers may be aware that this may occur with this buyer.

I just don't think that being a donor to this site should buy you a pass for something like this. I think that even if you are not a donor, but have a solid reputation goes much further than being a donor with very little reputation.
I agree with you Frank. Being a donor here doesn't entitle certain behavior in my opinion.
Old 22 May 2009, 06:27 AM   #27
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Read my post again.

All I meant was that there was NO need to hang this guy for god's sake.

The fact that he pledged to the forum allows him NO leeway but it shows a side to his character that the haters are missing.
Old 22 May 2009, 07:27 AM   #28
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I've read the postings here and found them quite interesting, as I can relate to many of them. There are definately some "bargain" shoppers on this forum.

What I find unsettling are the ones who make you offers and then never respond to your counter-offers or those that request photos and never respond to your email after you've taken the time and effort to send them high quality pics of the requested item.

Jyogi, I'm with you on this one, I'd have been a little perturbed also.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 22 May 2009, 08:27 AM   #29
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Read my post again.

All I meant was that there was NO need to hang this guy for god's sake.

The fact that he pledged to the forum allows him NO leeway but it shows a side to his character that the haters are missing.
Paul,

I'm sorry mate - I have to disagree. JYogi mentioned that he accepted Jnov's offer only because of that side of him, because he was a donor. I think the price to have the mimosa is very low here, and it definitely does not entitle him to that behavior. Time is precious - I will never waste anyone else's, and I don't want mine to be wasted. As someone who lists in TRF's classifieds - I have something to offer as well, so the buyer isn't G-d by any means. He needs me as much as I need him, otherwise he would not be the one initiating contact.

I have had numerous time-wasters on TRF, but nothing like sleaze-bay. All in all - this place is , so let's keep it that way. And if Jnov disagrees - this is a public forum he can state his side. I do believe that such a discussion can take place in a civilized manner here on TRF!

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 22 May 2009, 08:41 AM   #30
WatchTimes

Listen real simple....
He said he would take it.
He said to mark it sold and he was sending out a MO the next day.
He never had the decency to say he bought something else or changed
his mind. He had PLENTY of time to do that.
If a buyer does this on Ebay they get negative feedback and the seller is
allowed to post what happened without it being edited. If a buyer does this
a few times their account is terminated.
I am sorry but allowing this behavior is just absurd.
A person is only as good as their word and this one clearly proved his word is worthless

As I said JNov is a FLAKE and the fact my feedback is being edited for telling the truth is appalling.

I am a 2 time donor whose been here about a year. I have had several positive transactions as a buyer and seller on this board.... That tells you who I am, this FLAKE joined a few weeks ago and yes I will give him credit as he did donate but that's about all he has done....... Beyond him wasting my time I couldn't find one decent post from him so about all he has done is donated some money to the board... Yippee Skippee

Last edited by WatchTimes; 22 May 2009 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: typo
Closed Thread