The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15 August 2012, 04:27 AM   #1
unknown
"TRF" Member

The ZENITH thread

One of my favorite brands. And so undervalued on most forums.
I don't know why but Zenith seems to be forgotten when people talk about highend horlogerie. I know they are not Patek Philippe but they are for sure in the same league as IWC or JLC.

If you would have to make a top 10 list of the watchbrands with the most interesting history Zenith MUST be in that list. it must !

Here you have a bit of their history ( source; thewatchquote)

1865 • The clock maker
George Favre-Jacot started to work for himself in Locle.

1875 • George Favre-Jacot succeeded in his goal: to produce reasonably priced, precise fob watches.
His company employed one-third of the working population of Locle.

1896 • Manufacturer won Gold Medal at the Swiss National Exhibition.

1903 • First prize in the Neuchâtel Observatory competition for chronometers.

1911 • George Favre-Jacot retired and left the flourishing business to his descendants, under the name ZENITH.

1917 • Death of George Favre-Jacot.

1920 • First wristwatch models.

1954 • ZENITH won the Neuchâtel Observatory prize for wristwatch chronometers.

1960 • ZENITH took over MARTEL WATCH Co.
The UNIVERSELS caliber 749 and 285 became the ZENITH 146 family.

1969 • Birth of the EL PRIMERO movement, the first chronograph in the world equipped with a winding crown with central rotor.
ZENITH became a member of the MONDIA-ZENITH-MOVADO holding company.

1970 • The CRONOMETRO TIPO CP2 aviation chronographs with anti-magnetic case and 60-minute rotating lunette, manufactured for A. Cairelli in Rome.

1971 • The American ZENITH RADIO CORPORATION took a majority stake in the MONDIA-ZENITH-MOVADO group.

1978 • The group returned to the hands of Swiss investors, with DIXI, the financial and mechanical constructions group, as major shareholder.

1984 • MOVADO taken over by NORTH AMERICAN WATCH Co, and the name ZENITH appeared alone on the watch dials.

2000 • ZENITH taken over by L.V.M.H group.

2009 • (my personal note) Mr Dufour became CEO and from here on I see a BIG future for Zenith. Read about Mr Dufour and understand where he wants to put the brand.
I think he understands his job very well. Give him another 5 years and you'll see what I mean

A FEW MORE FACTS

By the time Jacot retired in 1929, Zenith had made watch history, winning grand prix medals for timekeeping precision at international expositions in Geneva, Paris, Barcelona,
and Neuchatel. In 1969, the company won renown for introducing the world's first automatic chronograph movement, the El Primero. Oscillating at 36,000 alternations/hour,
the El Primero was able to measure short time intervals to a tenth of a second, an unsurpassed world record. In 1995, Zenith launched a new generation of ultra-thin chronographs,
the Elite, recently voted best mechanical movement by the professional press.
Since its beginning, Zenith has been recognized with more than 1,565 first observatory prizes in chronometry, making it the Swiss brand most rewarded for precision.

Anyway, there are so many reasons to admire this brand

So, if you have one, please share it with us

This is my first one, the Chronomaster. I own this watch since more than 10 years