The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 April 2018, 05:18 PM   #1
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
I think I remember a thread where someone had a D serial LV with a flat 4, Mark III dial and oval O.
There are D-serials available with flat four inserts. I have seen two myself and this is also indicated in the reference guide to 16610LV that’s often linked here.
Old 30 April 2018, 06:02 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed82 View Post
There are D-serials available with flat four inserts. I have seen two myself and this is also indicated in the reference guide to 16610LV that’s often linked here.
The Y and early F serials had the attributes for the first generation anniversary 16610LVs. Now that they are the most valuable, we see claims the D serials had the same attributes? You might have seen a D serial with a flat four but did it have the correct dial? I don't have to tell you that it has been 14 years since these watches were released and anything could have been changed on them to enhance the value. I have never heard of a D serial-numbered having the correct dial and insert as the early anniversary watches. It would be a "red flag" to most collectors I'm sure.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 06:11 AM   #3
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The Y and early F serials had the attributes for the first generation anniversary 16610LVs. Now that they are the most valuable, we see claims the D serials had the same attributes? You might have seen a D serial with a flat four but did it have the correct dial? I don't have to tell you that it has been 14 years since these watches were released and anything could have been changed on them to enhance the value. I have never heard of a D serial-numbered having the correct dial and insert as the early anniversary watches. It would be a "red flag" to most collectors I'm sure.
This
Old 30 April 2018, 06:32 AM   #4
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Major Red Flag -

Also the LV's were not available until after the 3rd week of Nov 2003 - So if you find one dated September 2003, like it says in the little chart, that's another Red Flag -

Here's the Rolex USA letter dated November 14 2003 (that was a Friday too). So they can't be dated before then (earliest I've seen is 11/21/2003) ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16610LV-19.JPG (194.2 KB, 333 views)
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This was my understanding as well until I saw an original D-series from the first owner with a fat four insert. Add to that the information in the reference guide that there are D-serials with fat four inserts and that I saw one more D-serial 16610LV with fat four after that. Who knows, maybe Rolex found a batch of old inserts and decided to use them up. Rolex have done so before.