The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2018, 05:03 AM   #1
dmash
"TRF" Member

What were you guys saying about portugal?!?!
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 05:07 AM   #2
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
What were you guys saying about portugal?!?!
It’s a game of two halves.

But it’s not looking good.

Bloody Ronaldo.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 05:09 AM   #3
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
It’s a game of two halves.

But it’s not looking good.

Bloody Ronaldo.
They don't even look that good! Portugal just seems to pull it out of the hat though......

EDIT: WTF HAHAHA 3-2!?
Old 16 June 2018, 05:46 AM   #4
dmash
"TRF" Member

HE IS THE REAL DEAL THIS WC

A HAT TRICK GOAL TO TIE IT AT 88’?!?! He came to WIN IT this year
Old 16 June 2018, 05:49 AM   #5
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Another typical example of how difficult it is to be a at home sitting couch "expert".
Where would the fun be in sitting on the fence?!

I’m not a fan of the man but the guy is a complete machine. Despite the fact he’s a poser he probably works harder than anybody at making himself the best player he can be and he always has done.

Portugal really aren’t very good.

But Bloody Ronaldo is ridiculous.
Old 16 June 2018, 05:57 AM   #6
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Where would the fun be in sitting on the fence?!

I’m not a fan of the man but the guy is a complete machine. Despite the fact he’s a poser he probably works harder than anybody at making himself the best player he can be and he always has done.

Portugal really aren’t very good.

But Bloody Ronaldo is ridiculous.
He better not get hurt again. I hope that continuous hanstring grabbing was his typical bullsh** and not something popping up. That would be a real shame, as this is his last WC.
Old 16 June 2018, 06:01 AM   #7
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
He better not get hurt again. I hope that continuous hanstring grabbing was his typical bullsh** and not something popping up. That would be a real shame, as this is his last WC.
I’ve seen him do that a lot over the years. I don’t know if it’s a tic, just a habitual thing he does.

Honestly though it wouldn’t surprise me to see him at the next World Cup. He’s already an old man in outfield terms but he’s said he wants to play til he’s 40. He might just be both fit and bloody minded enough to do it.
Old 16 June 2018, 06:09 AM   #8
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve seen him do that a lot over the years. I don’t know if it’s a tic, just a habitual thing he does.

Honestly though it wouldn’t surprise me to see him at the next World Cup. He’s already an old man in outfield terms but he’s said he wants to play til he’s 40. He might just be both fit and bloody minded enough to do it.
If King Zlatan didn’t do it, I don’t see Ronaldo doing it
Old 16 June 2018, 05:51 AM   #9
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Who was is that said Ronaldo wasn’t one of the best? Thus game prices why he is. He isn’t even really young anymore (in soccer years) and was still the best player on the field
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 06:27 AM   #10
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Great game. Ronaldo crushed it!
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 07:43 AM   #11
Wools
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to the World Cup, within 2 minutes Ronaldo takes a dive...

The most shameless player in history. Detest the guy. I’ll have to avoid watching any matches with him in to stop getting riled up! :)
Wools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:42 AM   #12
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wools View Post

The most shameless player in history. Detest the guy. I’ll have to avoid watching any matches with him in to stop getting riled up! :)
I hate diving but that wasn’t a dive. The guy kicked his ankle. Sure he went down fairly easy but it was a penalty. Btw, if you think he is shameless watch Luis Suarez
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 09:04 PM   #13
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:

I'm guessing it's your severe bias that's calling it a dive. Even the video reviewers agrees it was a penalty.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 09:07 PM   #14
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
I'm guessing it's your severe bias that's calling it a dive. Even the video reviewers agrees it was a penalty.
Yup, agree. He may have went down harder than necessary, but it was only to exaggerate what was indeed a penalty, and ensure it got called. That's not 'flopping', that's just playing smart.
Old 16 June 2018, 09:36 PM   #15
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I also agree Ronaldo’s was a pen, albeit an “earned” one.

Watching the dodgy French pen decision though and I’m not sure I’d be taking the VAR reviewer’s opinions as Gospel. Never a pen!
Old 17 June 2018, 04:12 AM   #16
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
A reach in after a cross over in the box is a penalty...EOS!!!

P.S...most entertaining game so far by far!
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 11:19 PM   #17
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Fabulous player but because of his playing acting and simulation(diving) will never be an all time great for me. For that penalty he saw the defender had planted his leg in front of him and decided to run at it and fall over it, he could have avoided it and stayed on his feet but took the easy way out. On the other hand, i don't think I have ever seen Messi simulate or go to the ground too easily, when he has been grounded it's because his legs have been chopped from under him and that is why Messi is the better player and man!
Oscarpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:02 AM   #18
Bruin Watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaCartier
Great game... like him or not, Ronaldo has always been a tremendous talent and his paycheck proves it. He proved it again tonight. Yeah, that was definitely dive-esq early in the game, but Spain got one back on the other end later when scoring after an (arguable) no-call. So in my mind, it kind of evened out.

Hopefully we have more game like this throughout the WC. Looking forward to Argentina vs. Iceland tomorrow.
Bruin Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:13 AM   #19
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This was a great match despite some curious calls/no calls.

Both teams were there to wow the crowd and do not disappoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:34 AM   #20
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
What a great game and fantastic goals! I've drawn Spain and France in the family sweepstake so was cheering on Spain and could not believe De Gea let that goal in, best keeper in the world by a mile for me. Spain were magnificent second half, midfield really took the piss out of the Portuguese, esp the superb Isco, but then that bloody ill-disciplined Pique couldn't leave an unthreatening Ronaldo alone - no sex for him, Shakira! and gave him a penalty/free kick I knew he would score, he had that crazed look in his eyes and dragged them to that result. That's just what we need to see from Messi, he better not wilt like De Gea.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:36 AM   #21
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Ronaldo earned that penalty, he did a nice step over that fooled the defender, Nacho, and they made contact, so was a penalty. Good skill needs to be rewarded and clumsy defence punished.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 08:45 AM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
What a great game. Hope it’s an omen of things to come.
Old 16 June 2018, 09:14 AM   #23
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

lmaooo this guy is a legend.

Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 09:52 AM   #24
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
lmaooo this guy is a legend.

FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 11:53 AM   #25
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I admit to not knowing a lot about soccer, but the biggest turn off to me is watching these babies conducting Homeric-tragedy performances on the field. Embellishing an actual push, Ok, every player in sports does that, but the way these guys act is disgraceful. You’re representing your country in front of an international audience, play the sport with a little respect.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 01:12 PM   #26
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I admit to not knowing a lot about soccer, but the biggest turn off to me is watching these babies conducting Homeric-tragedy performances on the field. Embellishing an actual push, Ok, every player in sports does that, but the way these guys act is disgraceful. You’re representing your country in front of an international audience, play the sport with a little respect.
Unfortunately much like basketball it’s part of the game. Drawing fouls is rewarded handsomely. Until the rules change I don’t think the players will, as it’s a means to exploit a grey area and win games.
Old 16 June 2018, 01:27 PM   #27
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Unfortunately much like basketball it’s part of the game. Drawing fouls is rewarded handsomely. Until the rules change I don’t think the players will, as it’s a means to exploit a grey area and win games.
And a free kick is worth far more than a basketball free throw. If I had to give a Pointless Flopping award it would definitely go to the NBA
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 01:47 PM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
And a free kick is worth far more than a basketball free throw. If I had to give a Pointless Flopping award it would definitely go to the NBA
I generally agree but many basketball games come down to the wire. A play can certainly make or break the game, particularly in the final moments.

Are you back in the states now steve?
Old 16 June 2018, 04:45 PM   #29
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

In NCAA and NBA Drawing a foul is not floppping, it’s making a smart play. As a matter of fact the rules have changed dramatically in the NBA. Flopping is flopping, literally. Like football, where they fall down and roll all over the place. It’s also can be unsportsmanlike conduct with an after game review. In the NBA consistently drawing offensive fouls on opponents takes good body control and a great deal of practice. It’s an art. Cause if you mess up, your out of the play and the offense takes more control.

Also the NBA added another rule to cut down on flopping near the basket, adding a 4-foot/ 1.22 meter dotted line area around the center of the basket, like (horseshoe shape on the floor) to prevent obvious flops. If you’re trying to cause a foul in that area, flops are charged as blocking fouls against the player causing action or no-calls inside that area.

The NBA regulated flopping starting in the 2012. Any player who flops during the regular season would first be warned, followed by fines in increments of $5,000 for each successive flop during the season. The fines would increase to $30,000 for a fifth offense, when a suspension would also be considered.

In the NBA playoffs, players are fined $5,000 for their first flopping offense, $10,000 for a second, $15,000 for a third, and $30,000 for a fourth. Any player who flops five or more times could be suspended. The most horrible flopping to me is after shooting a 3 point shot and falling claiming to having been touched and then getting to the foul ine to make it a 4 point shot. Has the rules slowed it down, perhaps. But it’s almost a auto replay look if the shooter falls now in that instance.

Flop away big boys
Old 16 June 2018, 04:50 PM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
In NCAA and NBA Drawing a foul is not floppping, it’s making a smart play. As a matter of fact the rules have changed dramatically in the NBA. Flopping is flopping, literally. Like football, where they fall down and roll all over the place. It’s also can be unsportsmanlike conduct with an after game review. In the NBA consistently drawing offensive fouls on opponents takes good body control and a great deal of practice. It’s an art. Cause if you mess up, your out of the play and the offense takes more control.

Also the NBA added another rule to cut down on flopping near the basket, adding a 4-foot/ 1.22 meter dotted line area around the center of the basket, like (horseshoe shape on the floor) to prevent obvious flops. If you’re trying to cause a foul in that area, flops are charged as blocking fouls against the player causing action or no-calls inside that area.

The NBA regulated flopping starting in the 2012. Any player who flops during the regular season would first be warned, followed by fines in increments of $5,000 for each successive flop during the season. The fines would increase to $30,000 for a fifth offense, when a suspension would also be considered.

In the NBA playoffs, players are fined $5,000 for their first flopping offense, $10,000 for a second, $15,000 for a third, and $30,000 for a fourth. Any player who flops five or more times could be suspended. The most horrible flopping to me is after shooting a 3 point shot and falling claiming to having been touched and then getting to the foul ine to make it a 4 point shot. Has the rules slowed it down, perhaps. But it’s almost a auto replay look if the shooter falls now in that instance.

Flop away big boys
Does that make you a referee, bookmaker, gambler or just a basketball idiot savant mark?