The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 December 2023, 02:39 PM   #1
king4aday
"TRF" Member

FP Journe Email Update

I'm a big brand fan and an aspiring FPJ owner. I like every bit of story about FP's watchmakung journey. Anyways, I emailed a boutique a few months ago and got a Zoom appointment to express interest on some pieces. I was able to connect with a very popular SA and seem to be very accommodating. Btw, I don't own any FPJ watch.

A few days ago, I got an email from my SA letting me know that I won't get any allocations for 2024 based on my wishlist. I was not disappointed at all since I know the wait times for these pieces. I was actually pleasantly surprised that it looks like I made it on the "waiting list".

Now, I'm just curious if this email is common practice to inform customers. Do any of you guys get this EOY email from them? And how long did you wait for your first piece to arrive? Cheers!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
king4aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 02:55 PM   #2
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by king4aday View Post
I'm a big brand fan and an aspiring FPJ owner. I like every bit of story about FP's watchmakung journey. Anyways, I emailed a boutique a few months ago and got a Zoom appointment to express interest on some pieces. I was able to connect with a very popular SA and seem to be very accommodating. Btw, I don't own any FPJ watch.

A few days ago, I got an email from my SA letting me know that I won't get any allocations for 2024 based on my wishlist. I was not disappointed at all since I know the wait times for these pieces. I was actually pleasantly surprised that it looks like I made it on the "waiting list".

Now, I'm just curious if this email is common practice to inform customers. Do any of you guys get this EOY email from them? And how long did you wait for your first piece to arrive? Cheers!

I’m in the same boat, aspiring to get my first piece. And I also have received that end of year email, which I ultimately appreciate them letting me know. But the question is how long the wait??
I’m assuming your list has the acceptable ‘entry’ level options of a CS or Automatique. I’m wondering if a Divine is doable as a first. I feel they want to get you what you want, but I’m still not clear on which would be easiest (relatively) to get to start the journey.

Notably, I’m impressed that they set up a Zoom appointment for you…instead of ‘requiring’ you to come in person. Still, my understanding is that they preferentially cater to local clientele (which isn’t a secret, apparently). That is the one aspect of the ‘relationship’ building that I find unfair and frustrating…but there are people who do make that effort.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 07:11 PM   #3
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is the common practice. In the email, it also confirms your interest for next year. You can contact your SA to confirm and/or make changes. Face to face is probably important but attending the regular events may not be expected.

You should only put down what you are really interested and not just trying to get an “easy” piece. The staff do want you to fully enjoy the piece you will eventually get. The wait may be long but it just makes the arrival more special.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 08:18 PM   #4
shafran
"TRF" Member

I have owned 4 different journes, none bought from the boutique and received the same email. It also encouraged visiting the boutique on a regular basis.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 11:06 PM   #5
king4aday
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
I’m in the same boat, aspiring to get my first piece. And I also have received that end of year email, which I ultimately appreciate them letting me know. But the question is how long the wait??

I’m assuming your list has the acceptable ‘entry’ level options of a CS or Automatique. I’m wondering if a Divine is doable as a first. I feel they want to get you what you want, but I’m still not clear on which would be easiest (relatively) to get to start the journey.

Notably, I’m impressed that they set up a Zoom appointment for you…instead of ‘requiring’ you to come in person. Still, my understanding is that they preferentially cater to local clientele (which isn’t a secret, apparently). That is the one aspect of the ‘relationship’ building that I find unfair and frustrating…but there are people who do make that effort.
To address your unfairness comment, they are wanting me to visit the boutique which I'm planning to do soon. Zoom was just first meeting. It looks like everyone needs to show up in person to get an allocation.

king4aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 11:15 PM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The old dear john letter
Old 29 December 2023, 05:34 AM   #7
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To address your unfairness comment, they are wanting me to visit the boutique which I'm planning to do soon. Zoom was just first meeting. It looks like everyone needs to show up in person to get an allocation.

That’s frustrating to read, as I was hoping your Zoom example was them being understanding that traveling for such a purpose (with no purchase) is not feasible for everyone. But that’s good that you will be able to do so. Good luck
Old 29 December 2023, 10:34 AM   #8
shafran
"TRF" Member

Personally, as much as I like their watches, I don't need to beg someone to take my money. There are plenty of watches out there.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 11:15 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
There is something like 10,000 people on the US list against an annual allocation to the US of about 400 watches. Odds are most folks will never receive an allocation.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 11:39 AM   #10
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
It’s probably nice to receive a luxury email saying, “not for you, maybe next year”.

Not sure why they bother with storefronts or boutiques at all. If they want to do a nice presentation they can have folks pick up their pieces in Geneva.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 01:33 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
It’s probably nice to receive a luxury email saying, “not for you, maybe next year”.

Not sure why they bother with storefronts or boutiques at all. If they want to do a nice presentation they can have folks pick up their pieces in Geneva.

The storefronts are a mere social club and the annual fee is six figures plus every first Tuesday of the month of your time. Be sure to tip the staff.

You have to hand it to him though. He could have tried to double or triple production the last five years but he stood pat. Even though it’s meant many have been pushed out it was the correct move.
Old 29 December 2023, 02:05 PM   #12
BendyBee
"TRF" Member

I did not get mails from the Tokyo boutique unless I emailed them first regarding the allocation. I waited 4 yrs for my first Journe (CB) after being added to the list at the end of 2018. During then, I paid the boutique a visit from aboard in 2019 and emailed them once in a while - I would have visited more if not for Covid. From my personal experience, Journe’s list is not fake but you might have to wait a while given the list has significantly grown since then. I am thinking about adding the Lune which I don’t mind waiting another 4-5yrs.
BendyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 04:37 PM   #13
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendyBee View Post
I did not get mails from the Tokyo boutique unless I emailed them first regarding the allocation. I waited 4 yrs for my first Journe (CB) after being added to the list at the end of 2018. During then, I paid the boutique a visit from aboard in 2019 and emailed them once in a while - I would have visited more if not for Covid. From my personal experience, Journe’s list is not fake but you might have to wait a while given the list has significantly grown since then. I am thinking about adding the Lune which I don’t mind waiting another 4-5yrs.
Even though you’re an existing client you’d still have to wait again so long for the next allocation? I would have expected that existing clients get first dibs.
Old 29 December 2023, 10:35 PM   #14
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Same I also never receive any email from the Japanese Boutique unless I follow up myself. I waited 3 years for my BLCO. I think I get a watch every 18-24 months on average.I don’t think they follow the same protocol as other countries.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 12:02 AM   #15
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The storefronts are a mere social club and the annual fee is six figures plus every first Tuesday of the month of your time. Be sure to tip the staff.

You have to hand it to him though. He could have tried to double or triple production the last five years but he stood pat. Even though it’s meant many have been pushed out it was the correct move.
I agree completely on the supply side. I had the chance to buy them when nobody was paying attention; so I’m happy for them to remain very hard to get now.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 02:35 AM   #16
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

I have never understood the merits of the lower end pieces to justify the prices. RG movement is nice though but finishing can be average, guilloche is stamped. Where is the value in say the CS?
rolexandlange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 03:16 AM   #17
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexandlange View Post
I have never understood the merits of the lower end pieces to justify the prices. RG movement is nice though but finishing can be average, guilloche is stamped. Where is the value in say the CS?

What is the definition of value? Grand Seiko or JLC?

If you want value; buy pre-owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 03:17 AM   #18
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post

Actually I would add pre owned Lange pre Covid.

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 03:42 AM   #19
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post

i find the value in innovation, design, and craftsmanship

the design element is there, the dial layouts are unique. i've just never understood what puts FPJ head and shoulders above the rest in the sub $100k space. Above $100k you get some serious innovation/craftsmanship, some rarity also, and all the unique FPJ design elements. But on the lower end they are sort of ordinary to me.

in 2019 i was considering an Octa UTC Black Label for $35k and did extensive research on the brand. i spoke to former ADs, other owners etc, and came away thinking the quality control and after sales service was not that good so decided to go with a different open. could of would of should of i guess.

i also popped into an AD slightly before COVID and they had a handful of watches for sale on Madison Ave. I have always felt FPJ to be highly perplexing and so have never made a move. I usually don't make a move on a watch until I can't sleep thinking about it!
Old 30 December 2023, 05:27 AM   #20
crod
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ OPTIMUM
Quote:
I dont agree with your comment at all, I can speak for the ones I own, some of them for several years now.

- The CB which is the cheapest mechanical model (under $30k) in the FPJ line, is a marvel, how many Tantalum watches do you know? Its very difficult to make dials of tantalum. How about the dial? Is unique, most of the dials they manufacture dont even pass quality control and go to the trash. You are getting great design, uniqueness, exclusivity (From what they told me they make 80-100 CB's per year) and a RG movement.

- I also own the CS Havana, its one of the most accurate watches, with a dual barrel which is mounted solely for the purpose of it being for accurate and not to increase the power reserve (which is not bad at 56 hours). It has the power reserve on the side of the crown which is a big challenge by itself (he had to make a bypass to go through it). It has an escapament which is totally isolated form the movement of the watch. The dial is also amazing a combination ruthenium and gold which was the result of a lot of testing, which they can do because they own the dial factory. The CS HAVANA RG is at $39.6K

- The QP (perpetual calendar) i have is in platinum you dont need pushers to adjust it, its very easy to do, fast, and fool proof. It has a lever that comes out to adjust the month and everything else it done with the crown. The day, month etc change is instantaneous. What would be the price for a Perpetual Calendar Platinum if Patek for example? more than a $150k
Here you are getting for a much better price, great design, innovations, more exclusivity etc. etc.

I could go on about the other models, CO, OL etc etc
Old 30 December 2023, 05:51 AM   #21
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is what I don’t get about FPJ. There’s so much focus on hand finishing, guilloche á main, internal angles in today’s market. And FPJ offers none of this, at least not in their entry level pieces. A cynic would say the emperor’s new clothes.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 06:32 AM   #22
rolexandlange
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
I dont agree with your comment at all, I can speak for the ones I own, some of them for several years now.

- The CB which is the cheapest mechanical model (under $30k) in the FPJ line, is a marvel, how many Tantalum watches do you know? Its very difficult to make dials of tantalum. How about the dial? Is unique, most of the dials they manufacture dont even pass quality control and go to the trash. You are getting great design, uniqueness, exclusivity (From what they told me they make 80-100 CB's per year) and a RG movement.

- I also own the CS Havana, its one of the most accurate watches, with a dual barrel which is mounted solely for the purpose of it being for accurate and not to increase the power reserve (which is not bad at 56 hours). It has the power reserve on the side of the crown which is a big challenge by itself (he had to make a bypass to go through it). It has an escapament which is totally isolated form the movement of the watch. The dial is also amazing a combination ruthenium and gold which was the result of a lot of testing, which they can do because they own the dial factory. The CS HAVANA RG is at $39.6K

- The QP (perpetual calendar) i have is in platinum you dont need pushers to adjust it, its very easy to do, fast, and fool proof. It has a lever that comes out to adjust the month and everything else it done with the crown. The day, month etc change is instantaneous. What would be the price for a Perpetual Calendar Platinum if Patek for example? more than a $150k
Here you are getting for a much better price, great design, innovations, more exclusivity etc. etc.

The last two comments demonstrate how polarizing FPJ is.

The models you have are all superb and your comments make sense to me. However, I would say they're not entry level models except maybe the CB, which is a no brainer buy at retail, and a no brainer pass at 80k in my opinion.

I think the gulf is the MSRP prices which are even hard for normals like me to find online, and the "market" prices of entry for folks like me that aren't willing or able to hop on a plane at a moment's notice to visit a watch shop regularly to hob knob with the brand for several years to score an allocation. FPJ the brand is a bit too French for me, acting like we are all family and friends when in reality it is strictly business.

CB at $80k entry for plebs like me? Hard pass. I'd much rather wave in a(nother) datograph at that price.
Old 30 December 2023, 07:28 AM   #23
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
This is what I don’t get about FPJ. There’s so much focus on hand finishing, guilloche á main, internal angles in today’s market. And FPJ offers none of this, at least not in their entry level pieces. A cynic would say the emperor’s new clothes.

I think the keyword here is “today’s market”. Dufour craze may have set the “standard” for haute horology. But this in itself can be a “fashion” phase too. Remember that the earliest independents like Urwerk are more about innovation and independent thinkings. Less about what is in vogue.

Don’t get me wrong, I also very much enjoy superb finishing and would jump on any chance to get a Rexhepi or Simon Brette. That’s the enjoyment of this hobby that we can do our research and collect with full knowledge of why we are adding a certain piece to our collection. I doubt anyone buy a FPJ expecting superb finishing.

Can you imagine a Resonance finished at the level of a Voutilainen? We will probably have less than 20 pieces per year and the cost will be prohibitively high.
Old 30 December 2023, 01:35 PM   #24
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thx for quick reviews, CS sounds like a perfect watch… value is outstanding for a $40k price point for a true HH… I don’t own FPJ but totally subscribe to his philosophy… don’t care about Nth degree of finishing (although own LM101 which is done to KV specs). Accuracy, design and reliability are the most important aspects to me. Seems like there are plenty of watch enthusiasts who feel likewise..
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 02:12 PM   #25
crod
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ OPTIMUM
Quote:
The last two comments demonstrate how polarizing FPJ is.

The models you have are all superb and your comments make sense to me. However, I would say they're not entry level models except maybe the CB, which is a no brainer buy at retail, and a no brainer pass at 80k in my opinion.

I think the gulf is the MSRP prices which are even hard for normals like me to find online, and the "market" prices of entry for folks like me that aren't willing or able to hop on a plane at a moment's notice to visit a watch shop regularly to hob knob with the brand for several years to score an allocation. FPJ the brand is a bit too French for me, acting like we are all family and friends when in reality it is strictly business.

CB at $80k entry for plebs like me? Hard pass. I'd much rather wave in a(nother) datograph at that price.
Well i agree that the CB doesn't make sense at $80K but makes more sense than the 5711 at $90K (which I love and have, but its not exclusive as the CB and they did thousands of them) or the Daytona at $30K. Or any regular Royal Oak.

I will always prefer the DATO at $80K than the CB, I was lucky to buy the Original Dato in the low $40's in 2020 and its a MARVEL and I love it.

I think the key here is that IMO FPJ offers great value at retail prices compared to most high end brands.

I bought the CB at $20K new from the boutique in 2013 and started buying from them every couple of years since then. Since I don't plan in selling the, In all honesty I would love for FP prices to come down so i can get discontinued models that I love but the prices are extremely high like the Centrigraphe (not sport), UTC etc.

I got offered a UTC at $120K a couple of weeks ago but IMO its too much and not worth it, so I plan in getting more models of the current line little by little.
Old 30 December 2023, 02:47 PM   #26
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well i agree that the CB doesn't make sense at $80K but makes more sense than the 5711 at $90K (which I love and have, but its not exclusive as the CB and they did thousands of them) or the Daytona at $30K. Or any regular Royal Oak.

I will always prefer the DATO at $80K than the CB, I was lucky to buy the Original Dato in the low $40's in 2020 and its a MARVEL and I love it.

I think the key here is that IMO FPJ offers great value at retail prices compared to most high end brands.

I bought the CB at $20K new from the boutique in 2013 and started buying from them every couple of years since then. Since I don't plan in selling the, In all honesty I would love for FP prices to come down so i can get discontinued models that I love but the prices are extremely high like the Centrigraphe (not sport), UTC etc.

I got offered a UTC at $120K a couple of weeks ago but IMO its too much and not worth it, so I plan in getting more models of the current line little by little.

I was just at the HK ALS Boutique and the SA there told us that the Datograph will be in the HKD900000 (over USD115000) range after the next price increase. That will be mind blowing if it is true.
Old 31 December 2023, 03:16 AM   #27
DGB
"TRF" Member

Yeah. I get also the annual email reminding me I am still on the list for a FPJ watch that I won’t get this year but I have been generously kept on next year’s waiting list.
I do own a CB, and I love it, I got it from the boutique a few years back, that was a strike of luck, not expecting to get another one any time soon.

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2023, 04:41 AM   #28
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I think the keyword here is “today’s market”. Dufour craze may have set the “standard” for haute horology. But this in itself can be a “fashion” phase too. Remember that the earliest independents like Urwerk are more about innovation and independent thinkings. Less about what is in vogue.

Don’t get me wrong, I also very much enjoy superb finishing and would jump on any chance to get a Rexhepi or Simon Brette. That’s the enjoyment of this hobby that we can do our research and collect with full knowledge of why we are adding a certain piece to our collection. I doubt anyone buy a FPJ expecting superb finishing.

Can you imagine a Resonance finished at the level of a Voutilainen? We will probably have less than 20 pieces per year and the cost will be prohibitively high.
As it stands they aren’t even finished to the degree of a production Breguet Tradition lol. If they got there, it would be enough. Things like stamping are just lazy
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2023, 05:28 AM   #29
djnick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
As it stands they aren’t even finished to the degree of a production Breguet Tradition lol. If they got there, it would be enough. Things like stamping are just lazy
I think it’s just part of their industrial aesthetic. If they actually did any reasonable amount of finishing the prices would be even more outrageous than they already are
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2023, 09:21 AM   #30
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I mean, whenever FP Journe is mentioned as a comparison, everyone starts talking about finishing as if thats the only thing that matters in a watch...Like Patek does not have the best finishing, and yet they are very popular as well. Rolex has no finishing to speak of either. My point is that there are so many aspects to a watch APART from finishing that needs to be considered. What about the case for instance? Someone mentioned Breguet's case but look at FP Journe and also Patek who have beautiful forged cases. Compared that with the more "elaborate" welded cases of other brands, some people just prefer a single forged case! I love Rolex, Patek, FP Journe cases because of this. What about the design and movements? Everyone forgets to note that FP Journe makes their movement out of GOLD. Not brass, or anything, GOLD, and sure enough not only does that cost more, its more exclusive and they do not benefit from economies of scale. Also look at how many different dials, movements, variety they have for a brand that only supposedly makes about 800 watches a year? Ergonomics! Most Journe pieces are less than 10mm thick. Contrast that with say Lange that everyone raves about in the (mass produced finishing) context, I agree from a mass production brand perspective they probably have the best finishing but they have only 1 type of case and many of their watches can get very thick and large. Journe makes sure his watches are elegant. The dials, someone mentioned they are stamped etc. Fine but there are other elaborate details like the thin metal frames around the guilloche etc, very clean printing, that adds depth.

This is what makes watches interesting! Everyone likes different things, but just measuring a brand on finishing is like looking at a car and speaking about its 0-60 stats only. We have to look at the overall product.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote