The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 April 2024, 11:58 AM   #1
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

3135 Slowing Down After a Decade

I have a 3135 sub that has averaged about +1.5 second per day for more than a decade. I hadn't checked the accuracy for a few years, but it now seems to be almost dead on. It has not been serviced.

Assuming that nothing more than normal wear and tear is happening to a movement (and it has not undergone anything traumatic), is it more usual for the 3135 to slow down or speed up over time? Or are either just as equally likely to happen?

To clarify, I am perfectly happy with my watch the way it is--I am not asking about my watch specifically. I was just curious as to how a 3135 usually behaves as it ages. Or if there is no "usual."
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 12:53 PM   #2
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Time for an overhaul
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 01:45 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
A slight slow down over ten years could be climate change?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 02:00 PM   #4
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
I have a 3135 sub that has averaged about +1.5 second per day for more than a decade. I hadn't checked the accuracy for a few years, but it now seems to be almost dead on. It has not been serviced.

Assuming that nothing more than normal wear and tear is happening to a movement (and it has not undergone anything traumatic), is it more usual for the 3135 to slow down or speed up over time? Or are either just as equally likely to happen?

To clarify, I am perfectly happy with my watch the way it is--I am not asking about my watch specifically. I was just curious as to how a 3135 usually behaves as it ages. Or if there is no "usual."
i've noticed something similar.
imo, no need to take any action yet.
Old 29 April 2024, 02:30 PM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
For it now to be keeping almost perfect time after so long shows you’ve nothing to worry about for now. Obviously a service down the line will keep it that way
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 10:18 PM   #6
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
The last time I sent one of mine in for a service, it was due in terms my lived history(5 - 5.5 years as a daily wearer), but it was for an obscure and barely perceptable reason.
Interestingly in this instance which was an all time first for me, the watch was running particularly well as it normally ran about -1.5 seconds per day, but it had started to speed up and was much closer to being absolutely spot on.
So to answer your question there is no hard and fast rule, except to say that the Achilles heel for a 31xx movement is known to be the lubrication requirements of the bearing arrangement for the oscillating weight which is crucial for the Automatic winding mechanism.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 12:28 PM   #7
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
The last time I sent one of mine in for a service, it was due in terms my lived history(5 - 5.5 years as a daily wearer), but it was for an obscure and barely perceptable reason.
Interestingly in this instance which was an all time first for me, the watch was running particularly well as it normally ran about -1.5 seconds per day, but it had started to speed up and was much closer to being absolutely spot on.
So to answer your question there is no hard and fast rule, except to say that the Achilles heel for a 31xx movement is known to be the lubrication requirements of the bearing arrangement for the oscillating weight which is crucial for the Automatic winding mechanism.
Thanks, bud! Appreciate the info.

Does anyone want to admit how long they have had their 31xx without service, and yet it still runs fine?

Is there any hard evidence that anyone can do actual damage to the movement if it goes too long without service. I know that some advocate service every 10 years, while others advocate not to send it in until it ceases running accurately.
Old 30 April 2024, 12:32 PM   #8
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It’s still in spec. Do nothing. I have gone 15 years and it still didn’t need a service from my watchmaker’s report when doing its 1st routine service.
Old 30 April 2024, 04:08 PM   #9
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
As others have said and you noted, it's still performaing within spec. But my thoughts regarding maintenance, is that prevention is better than cure.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:02 PM   #10
Dirt
"TRF" Member

So many schools of thought with none being absolutely right or wrong.
Way back in the day, the accepted wisdom was every 3-5 years but the lubes improved dramatically and it was pushed out to 5-7 years.
For a daily wearer Automatic I only get 5 to 5.5 years before there is change in timekeeping of some description which will vary from stopping randomly overnight to a slight change in timekeeping in either direction(+ or -).
I have gone 13.5 years on a Co-axial that's worn fairly infrequently before the timekeeping slowed down from a rock solid +3.5 to creeping closer to 0.

Rolex are the only ones on record for suggesting 10 years. That's not necessarily an endorsement.
All others that have solid reputations are suggesting shorter time frames under normal operating conditions.
The problem is that what is normal for one person can be poles apart for another and this is reflected in some way or another in the language they use when making their recommendations.
If one drills down into it all that is
Old 30 April 2024, 06:07 PM   #11
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
As others have said and you noted, it's still performaing within spec. But my thoughts regarding maintenance, is that prevention is better than cure.
I agree.
However, one needs to be across the normal operation of their watch and vigilant as to how it's performing to notice any changes with it.
Any changes of any kind usually signify that a watch needs some professional attention as no watch is maintenance free.
Old 30 April 2024, 07:41 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post

Gravity affects mechanical watches the most that's why they are tested in to AVERAGE -4+ 6 seconds in 5 different positions and temperatures at Swiss COSC. And in those different positions there always will be slight deviations in the timekeeping. Remember this the escapement of a mechanical watch in 24 hours pushes the gears 432,000 times. But on the wrist wearing given the fact that the movement is constantly affected by the earth's gravity, metal expansion and contraction, different temperature variations, mainspring power reserve, subtle changes in lubrication and friction, shocks, and so on. The fact is that no mechanical watch made will keep 100% perfect time, very close yes but perfect no, your watch is fine and in spec so don't worry about. But seeing watch is now like you state 10 years old start to budget for a full RSC service in the next few months or so but no rush at the moment.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 11:29 PM   #13
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Mine did not need a service at 10 years for any functional reason. I primarily wanted to do preventative maintenance and make sure the gaskets were fresh as mine does get wet.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 11:40 PM   #14
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I primarily wanted to do preventative maintenance and make sure the gaskets were fresh as mine does get wet.
This is the best reason one should err to the conservative. The materials in gaskets degrade despite the quality of lube and accuracy in the movement.

As for "evidence" of harm, each person may differ.

But all should agree that the risks of water or microbe intrusion are worth mitigating every 5-10 years depending upon our usage - harsh vs. gentle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2024, 06:21 PM   #15
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
This is the best reason one should err to the conservative. The materials in gaskets degrade despite the quality of lube and accuracy in the movement.

As for "evidence" of harm, each person may differ.

But all should agree that the risks of water or microbe intrusion are worth mitigating every 5-10 years depending upon our usage - harsh vs. gentle.

Rolex; "After being cleaned and refinished, the case parts are reassembled and the seals replaced. The case is tested for waterproofness."

It sounds like parts that could degrade are replaced.
Old 2 May 2024, 09:58 PM   #16
77T

Yes, they are. Thus the reason not to wait 20 years

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote