The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 February 2024, 09:19 AM   #181
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
I personally always have found the sub a bit too austere and lacking in character. Just for me, I think they can be great and look good on other people.

I’ve bought a couple grey over the years and bought a hulk new about 5-10 years ago, but none ever lasted very long, just a few months normally, but always seems like one I ‘should’ like so I try again.

Always ended up with the GMT and sea dweller instead for me. Just feel they are more fun - have a bit more personality and more going on. The sub is rather plain which to me gives it the austere look, it is quite a serious looking watch - modern ones at least, older ones wear a bit softer and more fun too.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 03:21 PM   #182
Rolex.Journey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I get it. But damn do I love mine.

Go for the black gmt master. Seems like that might hit the mark for you and should be able to either make a couple grand or net even on the trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex.Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 03:30 PM   #183
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post
Didn’t see an issue with it either. Seems some are just chasing post counts.
Yep — agree with both of you
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2024, 04:01 PM   #184
Tnathantaylor
"TRF" Member

Sell it if it’s not, right. I think the new subs are too big. My 16610 is the perfect watch, I take it off to sleep.
Tnathantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 02:36 AM   #185
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

I have yet to be in a room with a sea of Submariners or even a sea of Rolexes in general, or even a sea of Swiss watches, period. A sea of Apple Watches? Now that I've experienced.

I too sold my Sub after owning it for under a year. Not because of its ubiquity in public or its monotony, but because I couldn’t get used to the bulky square case of the 116610. I’m thinking of picking up a 126LV one of these days but we’ll see.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 02:48 AM   #186
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramathorn View Post
Didn’t see an issue with it either. Seems some are just chasing post counts.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
We didn’t need to know that you made a profit….. Just sayin….
Kat

Hum, ok... thanks, Kat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Any member here already knows we can flip a brand new Sub, for a profit, but most of us wouldn’t choose to do so. We like our Rolexes. Also, I think it seems like something personal, you should not share. That’s all. No harm meant.
Kat
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good gosh, what is this nonsense?
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 03:16 AM   #187
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
I have yet to be in a room with a sea of Submariners or even a sea of Rolexes in general, or even a sea of Swiss watches, period. A sea of Apple Watches? Now that I've experienced.

I too sold my Sub after owning it for under a year. Not because of its ubiquity in public or its monotony, but because I couldn’t get used to the bulky square case of the 116610. I’m thinking of picking up a 126LV one of these days but we’ll see.
There are certain conferences I attend where subs and Rolexes in general are everywhere. Typically director of sales types at insurance or health companies.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 03:17 AM   #188
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post

I think that is right

G-shock and apple dominate where I work, with the odd Panerai, Rolex, Omega, Breitling, bunch of Seiko's, etc. And I spotted a 20 something guy with a Franck Muller, he paid £xx thousands for it. I had a chat with him, he said he passed a shop and just liked it. A watch for life. didn't know anything about watches at all !!!
colonelpurple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 03:30 AM   #189
HotToddyTX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610LV
I really wanted to add a sub to my collection and decided to go with the 16610LV. I almost pulled the trigger on no date black sub but did have some concerns about growing tired of it after some time. Nothing against it I think that it is classic!

The LV is the perfect amount of color for me and I have had the opposite feeling as you OP as I cannot stop looking at this one!

Old 9 February 2024, 04:03 AM   #190
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Never had a desire for a sub other than a 16610LV and this was when they traded for far less. Possibly one day but my sub type watch that fills this category for my collection is the Tudor 79220N. Love how it wears, how it looks, the attention is does not draw from the wrong crowd, and the somewhat "rarity". No its not a Rolex but it has been with me for 6 years and I never plan on getting rid of it. Never had that type of desire for a sub just my 2 pennies.
Old 9 February 2024, 04:28 AM   #191
Blanch
"TRF" Member

A Submariner LN is what it is.
Blanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 04:31 AM   #192
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcquade88 View Post
I really wanted to add a sub to my collection and decided to go with the 16610LV. I almost pulled the trigger on no date black sub but did have some concerns about growing tired of it after some time. Nothing against it I think that it is classic!

The LV is the perfect amount of color for me and I have had the opposite feeling as you OP as I cannot stop looking at this one!

That watch next to it is pretty sweet, as well. Cheers!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 04:47 AM   #193
HotToddyTX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610LV
thanks Kat! And congrats on your recent two tone acquisition as well!
Old 9 February 2024, 06:24 AM   #194
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Wear what you like.....that is the way.....
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2024, 06:19 PM   #195
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
There are certain conferences I attend where subs and Rolexes in general are everywhere. Typically director of sales types at insurance or health companies.
I went to a party a few weeks ago and literally everyone was wearing a Rolex or AP.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 12:15 AM   #196
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I went to a party a few weeks ago and literally everyone was wearing a Rolex or AP.

First world problem. Ad extremum.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 12:28 AM   #197
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
It’s a weird flex with these guys. All inherited a PEO from their father, all seem a bit clueless to the world of risk management. Best description is the sales people in the Big Short who sold “ninja” loans.
Old 10 February 2024, 04:57 AM   #198
yld2rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Agree. Most people that want one rolex are going to buy the standard/classic black one. The same thing happen to me. I sold my black Sub and picked up the Cermit / Starbucks instead. At least it has a little color to it and I still haven't seen one in the wild yet.
Rolex GMT BLNR
Rolex Datejust 16220
yld2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2024, 01:07 PM   #199
egamos
Banned

I can relate to how you feel.
Sell it and get something you'd love to wear as daily that will be more appealing.
egamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 05:39 PM   #200
krounchou
"TRF" Member

I often have the same feeling but it is a great everyday watch.
I bought a 16570 polar dial to contrast so when I am tired of white I have the exact opposite and vice versa
krounchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 05:49 PM   #201
madsitalia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
About 3 weeks ago I got the call for a 126610LN. I was happy at the time, but over the course of several weeks, just really didn’t connect with it.

It’s a very basic monotone looking watch. Though I do get the appeal of it being a great daily. That said, I was at a conference last week, every Joe Schmoe had one. I don’t care about exclusivity but the fact that it’s so ubiquitous isn’t cool for me.

I’m thinking about moving on (maybe to add a 126711CHNR or a neovintage AP, or hold out for a SS GMT / SkyD blue or green).

Kind of venting here, but interested to hear what other people think or if they have ever had a similar experience.

Some pics for your time.

I totally agree. It’s a very nice and cool watch, but it doesn’t do it for me. That’s why the new explorer II is perfect
madsitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 08:43 PM   #202
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

The problem maybe the date. Never understood why anyone would buy anything other than the no-date sub. The fish-eye date works well with the DJs , looks very in keeping , but on Subs I have always thought it looks odd.
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 08:44 PM   #203
ukwatchguy1
"TRF" Member

Very interesting read this thread, just read from start to finish. I currently own a 41mm Black sub date and totally agree with OP that I don't bond with mine either and feel like its the watch I "should" own, I find it boring, too bland and sometimes bulky but the glidelock helps a bit for comfort sometimes.

I had a black sub previously, changed for Mk1 Starbucks to try get that extra colour pop, but unless viewed dead on again I found the watch didn't look great on me so went back to a black sub yet again as feel it should be the one I have as default, but despite owning again for a while I am finding myself not loving it still.

To change out of this situation I would have to invest a fair bit extra money into the deal to change/ upgrade, via grey of course.

Pepsi Jubilee is a strong contender, as is a panda daytona 116 ref, also considered a full YG blue sub but not sure the all gold would wear as well in the long term and it is still a sub so still quite large etc.

We are expecting our 2nd child very soon and I kind of want to start making memories with the new timepiece and be set then with that watch and not look back, just struggling what to do.
ukwatchguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 08:56 PM   #204
Yobber76
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I know what you mean.
I had a 114060 and a 116610 for about 6 years. Kept fighting the urge to replace them since they are classic watches. Finally traded them both for a BLNR and a VTNR,
Don't miss them at all.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 09:21 PM   #205
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I get it from both sides, a Sub Date was the first Rolex I bought and I was totally made up with it, then once this forum took strong hold I bought a few other more complicated watches, sold it, and then a few years later I bought a No Date Sub but it was just too plain for me by now and I sold it after a few months, it was just before the hype so I didn't make any profit.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 09:26 PM   #206
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
New subs, I get it. Too big, bulky, and the clasp is a country mile long.

4 or 5-digit subs? Near perfection.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 10:19 PM   #207
forg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
It's pointless to have a watch if you're not going to we
forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 10:20 PM   #208
krounchou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
New subs, I get it. Too big, bulky, and the clasp is a country mile long.

4 or 5-digit subs? Near perfection.
More than watch case, It's the clasp indeed. It takes too much space on the wrist and is quite thick.
5 digits clasps integrated better with the rest of the bracelet
krounchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 11:15 PM   #209
Nads786
"TRF" Member

I’ll contribute my thoughts here as well. I’ve owned my Sub 41 since December of last year and something I was after since February of 2023.

I love the look but it’s growing obvious to me it’s a bit heavy to me compared to other watches. When I had my BB58 it just melted on my wrist and I forgot about it.

With the Sub 41 I never forget it’s on my wrist. I think part of this is the 21MM bracelet and maybe the clasp. It’s at least twice as big as the BB58.

I might be making the painful decision to sell it.
Old 18 April 2024, 11:30 PM   #210
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona, Sub, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
One man's boring is my classic style. If I want color I wear weird socks.
This!
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote