The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 April 2024, 04:35 PM   #1
DaewooDrifter
"TRF" Member

Submariner 16610 - Older Style Box for model?

Hi all,

I am looking at acquiring a Submariner 16610 full set, I have come across one online which seems to be from 2007 but it still comes with what looks to be a vintage era box.

Is this unusual or would this be the correct type box for this reference and year in some cases? Most other 2007 pieces seem to come with the modern green box.

TIA!

4.PNG

3.png

1.PNG

2.PNG
DaewooDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 04:46 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
That box with the pillow you see there changed to a c-clip insert in about 1999 or 2000, then the current style replaced that in around 2005. There can be a year or two overlap but I very much doubt that box was given with that watch when originally sold in 2007 (in Japan by the look of the card).
Old 18 April 2024, 04:52 PM   #3
DaewooDrifter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
That box with the pillow you see there changed to a c-clip insert in about 1999 or 2000, then the current style replaced that in around 2005. There can be a year or two overlap but I very much doubt that box was given with that watch when originally sold in 2007 (in Japan by the look of the card).

Thanks for the quick reply, I thought this may be the case but have limited knowledge when it comes to boxes etc. Wil query with the seller but thanks again for the info.
Old 18 April 2024, 04:54 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast

You're welcome.
Old 18 April 2024, 05:33 PM   #5
Gazoak
"TRF" Member

Different watch but my 2002 16710 purchased new came with the c-clip box, the one after that one displayed with your sub.
Gazoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 06:02 PM   #6
DaewooDrifter
"TRF" Member

Thanks both much appreciated, I had a feeling the box was not the original as even my old Datejust had a newer iteration and that was a 2000 serial. How much of an impact on value do you think this would have if I were to ever sell in future?
Old 18 April 2024, 07:50 PM   #7
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaewooDrifter View Post
Thanks both much appreciated, I had a feeling the box was not the original as even my old Datejust had a newer iteration and that was a 2000 serial. How much of an impact on value do you think this would have if I were to ever sell in future?
On its own the box is worth about 125 quid, give or take. The seller is likely adding a lot more to the watch price, by claiming it's original to the watch. I'd just keep looking if I were you. This isn't a rare model.
Old 18 April 2024, 08:15 PM   #8
RolexADreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Chrono Perp
mine was 1994 and came with this exact set....
Quote:
Hi all,

I am looking at acquiring a Submariner 16610 full set, I have come across one online which seems to be from 2007 but it still comes with what looks to be a vintage era box.

Is this unusual or would this be the correct type box for this reference and year in some cases? Most other 2007 pieces seem to come with the modern green box.

TIA!

Attachment 1431018

Attachment 1431015

Attachment 1431016

Attachment 1431017
Old 18 April 2024, 08:18 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Yes it's the wrong box,but a box is just a box the most important bit is the watch,boxes are made in several parts of the world and plenty of them for sale if you must get a period correct one.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 09:55 PM   #10
DaewooDrifter
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys will take that info on board, these seem to be going for 7-7.5k or thereabouts, is it worth waiting and trying to snag one for sub 7k?
Old 18 April 2024, 10:03 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Thanks guys will take that info on board, these seem to be going for 7-7.5k or thereabouts, is it worth waiting and trying to snag one for sub 7k?
Always buy first the seller then the most important bit the actual watch,as for the so called papers nice to have, but they are now just a expired warranty. If no service history then budget in your price a full RSC service, then you will have service papers or card this will be then a full two year valid warranty.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 10:05 PM   #12
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona, Sub, etc.
You can always find a period correct box. This one has a warranty card, so you can complete the full set. Hard to tell condition from that one picture, but if the price is right and the seller is trusted, I'd go for it. Also factor in the cost of a service.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 10:09 PM   #13
rufio0811
"TRF" Member

Watch: love em all
Quote:
If that's really your concern an era correct Rolex inner & outer box will cost you around $300 USD. Is that pocket change? no but you would recoup that money, maybe net +$100.

HOWEVER, don't buy a watch based on your concerns of selling in the future
rufio0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 10:13 PM   #14
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufio0811 View Post
If that's really your concern an era correct Rolex inner & outer box will cost you around $300 USD. Is that pocket change? no but you would recoup that money, maybe net +$100.

HOWEVER, don't buy a watch based on your concerns of selling in the future
I've purchased two over the last few months, at under $100 complete, one with books. Keep watching eBay for deals. They will show up sooner or later.
Old 18 April 2024, 10:19 PM   #15
GrailTime
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post
I've purchased two over the last few months, at under $100 complete, one with books. Keep watching eBay for deals. They will show up sooner or later.
Are you sure they are real? There are tons of fake wavy style boxes on eBay. I’ve seen them with books and very crappy hang tags.
GrailTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 10:25 PM   #16
rufio0811
"TRF" Member

Watch: love em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSF View Post
That's fair, I've purchased a few watches through ebay and their authenticity guarantee is as good as their competitors. My concern with buying boxes or service pouches is the amount of fakes and there not being an authenticity guarantee. If you can find a seller who also deals watches and has reputable feedback, purchase through them.

From my own searching on eBay, the reputable sellers will charge $2-300 but you have the peace of mind they aren't counterfeit. Would be a shame to spend a substantial amount on a watch and have it come in a counterfeit package.
rufio0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 10:58 PM   #17
Old Expat Beast

There are plenty of good eBay sellers in Japan selling Rolex boxes like the one OP is needing for around $100 to $180, sometimes with the right booklets, calendar cards, etc. Just do a search for the box ref #. The fakes are easy to spot for the 1990s/early 2000s boxes; they always have balsa-like interior wood, and over saturated outer box colours.
Old 18 April 2024, 11:21 PM   #18
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
There are plenty of good eBay sellers in Japan selling Rolex boxes like the one OP is needing for around $100 to $180, sometimes with the right booklets, calendar cards, etc. Just do a search for the box ref #. The fakes are easy to spot for the 1990s/early 2000s boxes; they always have balsa-like interior wood, and over saturated outer box colours.
Agreed. Both of mine came from Japan. I'm sure they are authentic.