The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2024, 11:12 AM   #1
jpthib
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Angus View Post
My first Rolex is on its way!

Paid my deposit to my local AD and she ordered my Datejust 41.

Reference: 126334 with the bright black dial.

My saleslady says it should be in by September but then gave me a smile and said "or sooner".

When can I really expect delivery? I mean a Datejust is not a Pepsi or Daytona...

Nice, which AD in Houston? I too put a deposit down at Deutsch on Westheimer and was quoted 6-8 months back in February. Honestly, if it’s the same AD, seems quite rare for them to do this and unique to the normal Rolex waitlist experience. I didn’t mind putting the 50% down to guarantee I get it (in demand DJ 41 config).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jpthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 11:21 AM   #2
jpthib
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpthib View Post
Nice, which AD in Houston? I too put a deposit down at Deutsch on Westheimer and was quoted 6-8 months back in February. Honestly, if it’s the same AD, seems quite rare for them to do this and unique to the normal Rolex waitlist experience. I didn’t mind putting the 50% down to guarantee I get it (in demand DJ 41 config).

Update - the DJ 41 blue dial jubilee flutes came in after 2 months after I put the 50% deposit down.

jpthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2024, 10:08 PM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpthib View Post
Update - the DJ 41 blue dial jubilee flutes came in after 2 months after I put the 50% deposit down.
Congratulations. It's a really nice watch.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:16 AM   #4
gossler
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX GMT II PEPSI
My AD knows what they are getting 2-3 weeks in advance. They only ask for a confirmation deposit of 30% once they are 100% sure they will get the watch requested. They did this during 2023, and delivered Green OP41 and Pepsi within two weeks of me giving the deposit.

From what I have seen online and once personally at my AD (though they quickly hid the printed list), they CAN choose which watches to order with certain limitations.

My guess is your AD asked for a 50% deposit to be sure you will not back out, and will order your specific watch on the next order window, if available.
gossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:19 AM   #5
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

Is this program AD specific? I know my AD never asked me for a deposit on any watch I wanted. Nor did they offer to 'order' any watch and accept a deposit for it either.
BlondesNwatches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:20 AM   #6
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Putting $5,000 down on a watch that the AD could sell before the UPS guy is even back in his truck; and you don't really know if or when it might come in. And if the customer resists, then surely they will never get any watch.

This shows the compelling power the brand has on people, and the BS that AD's will put customers through.
Old 13 March 2024, 11:24 AM   #7
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

I’ve never put or been asked for a deposit and would never put one down. Crazy and to me a sign the AD has cash flow issues.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 04:31 AM   #8
Osmin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
I’ve never put or been asked for a deposit and would never put one down. Crazy and to me a sign the AD has cash flow issues.
Agree. I would only pay if he guarantees me the price which is valid right now, whenever the watch arrives
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 04:34 AM   #9
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

Am I the only one that likes the deposit route? I wouldn't even mind to pay all up front if they can give a timeline, seems like a quick way to fix a lot of grey market issues.

I've never been asked to pay one but would happily do so if it helped. Could probably weed out half of the waitlists.
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:25 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I hope you land it sooner than later
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:25 AM   #11
dg8dg7
"TRF" Member

This has to be AD specific. No way I would give a deposit for a watch without a specific delivery and honestly would probably ask for it back were it me and I found out others didn't need to do this. For a datejust, I'd be waiting for them to call me when one came in.

It seems very odd to me that an AD would take your cash for a watch that they have no guarantee of receiving in that specific configuration in a specific period of time.

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk
dg8dg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:31 AM   #12
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

It'll be a great looking watch regardless and as long as you're cool with the deposit program, that's all that matters. Plus, you'll be getting that watch soon I hope.
BlondesNwatches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:36 AM   #13
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your future watch.

For the deposit, it depends on your relationship with your AD. My AD doesn't ask for a deposit, but I often pay the money in advance. Maybe I'm stupid, but I like to have it all paid for.

I'm also working on a cash budget these days instead of credit cards, when possible, so I'm a bit strange.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 01:10 PM   #14
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
When I decided I wanted a Lady Datejust, my Hubs said he would buy it for me, for our 40th anniversary. This was in early 2021. I contacted De Vons in the Roseville Galleria, as that is the closest AD to where we live. I got this in response from them:

"We require you to visit one of our locations, sign some paperwork along with paying for the timepiece in full. A typical order time frame is about 10-14 weeks but can take up to six months."

Both my Hubs and I didn't like the "pay in full for us to order the watch for you," so I contacted a different AD (no, not another De Vons location).

I asked the second AD if they would require a deposit, and the response was:

"Typically we take a deposit but if it’s a model that I need for stock anyway (and all the fluted/jubilee are) I don’t need a deposit."

Because he wasn't going to require a deposit, I didn't bother asking how much of a deposit they would typically get.

Exactly one month (to the day) later, the Rolex I wanted was on my wrist. AND, although my preferred dial (Sundust stick) had recently been discontinued and replaced by the rosé dial, this wonderful AD managed to get me the watch with a Sundust stick dial.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 01:51 PM   #15
fayraree
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
My AD said he would take a 25% for a DJ31 fluted with jubilee and mint green dial. Available in 3-4 months.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:54 PM   #16
ATLSFO
"TRF" Member

Rolex doesn't take orders from ADs. The ADs receive an allocation from Rolex and Rolex decides what's in it.
ATLSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:59 PM   #17
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
There’s really only three dealers in Houston now and I’m familiar with how the two oldest ones operate. No experience with the newest AD that just opened a year or so ago.
I have never been asked for a deposit but my SA says they sometimes ask first time customers for one.
As far as can they order, that definitely seems to vary. I asked for and received a green OP41 last summer in less than 30 days. He told me it was one he could special order at that time. Then at Christmas time he told me that program was on hold right now, haven’t asked me since.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 03:23 PM   #18
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
It sounds like the OP was happy to pay a deposit to get the watch that he wants within the timeframe that he was given regardless of all the efforts here to deconstruct the particulars of that arrangement. Well done OP, it sounds like your AD has a plan in place to get you your watch. Please post pictures here when you get it.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 04:52 PM   #19
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

I agree that deposits seem to be a sporadic method some ADs are using to generate some additional profit in interest.

I actually don’t mind this if it means I get the watch I want with less stress.

It does make me a little nervous, but for all the times I have seen deposits discussed on this forum I can’t recall anyone who has come forward to say they left a deposit and were scammed by their AD. Am I right ??
kkqd1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:16 PM   #20
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
Deposit means your AD intends to give you your watch soon! Congrats, mate! Has become a common practice since around 2018ish to do things this way.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:27 PM   #21
TNG
"TRF" Member

I also paid a small deposit for an OF Daytona recently. AD told me it would arrive within 6-8 months. Got the call after 2,5 months.
TNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:10 AM   #22
Actor07
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 126519
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post
I also paid a small deposit for an OF Daytona recently. AD told me it would arrive within 6-8 months. Got the call after 2,5 months.
That's great news. Congrats.

Which Daytona OF did you get?

I have the WG OF 12 series.
Actor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:43 AM   #23
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor07 View Post
That's great news. Congrats.

Which Daytona OF did you get?

I have the WG OF 12 series.
I'm also interested to know. I have always heard "no deposits or orders" on Daytona.

This topic in general
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:57 AM   #24
Actor07
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 126519
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
I'm also interested to know. I have always heard "no deposits or orders" on Daytona.

This topic in general
I didn't know deposits on orders were a thing.
Actor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 07:26 PM   #25
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
the watch is in the safe....AD plays like it's rare and their doing the op a BIG Favor getting the watch.....
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 07:38 PM   #26
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Congrats in advance! Hopefully soon enough.
I've never been asked to pay a deposit.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 02:59 AM   #27
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Well, deposit was handed to my AD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
the watch is in the safe....AD plays like it's rare and their doing the op a BIG Favor getting the watch.....

That is pure speculation. If it was in the safe, available for sale, they would have just sold it to him, right then and there.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 03:51 AM   #28
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
That is pure speculation. If it was in the safe, available for sale, they would have just sold it to him, right then and there.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Several reasons depending who you believe. On New Year’s Eve day I know my was in the safe at the boutique in Orlando. But I had to wait until the following week to have them call me to come in and pay and pick it up. They explained why and the reasons for it. They also had a watch my husband wanted but would not release it to him, the reason was he had made a purchase with in the last 3 months. It’s all very strange.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:18 PM   #29
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I've put down a deposit on a Datejust order a couple years ago and had the watch in about six weeks which was right around when they told me it would arrive. Now that was a couple of years ago, was for a 36mm Datejust, and my salesman essentially had zero doubt that it would arrive. It didn't seem like there was guesswork.

I've never done this for any other Rolex I've received from my AD: a Submariner Date or GMT-Master II. The former, I walked in and purchased. The latter, I asked about and got a call three days later.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 12:59 AM   #30
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
I don't get why some are casting doubts on OP putting down a deposit when:

1. OP is comfortable with the amount and delivery time frame
2. AD is confident about delivering

It's a mutually beneficial arrangement. I understand that some people may not be comfortable with deposits but there are other who don't mind; I wouldn't mind putting down a deposit if my AD could guarantee the watch I want.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote