The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 December 2014, 05:54 AM   #91
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Wear the watch dont let it wear you. If its a casio or a pp minute repeater. Its still a watch.

Sent from my Motorola Razor
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 05:54 AM   #92
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

When you walk out of an ADs shop with a new Rolex on your wrist, just remember the following.

a) it was your money and you have the right to invest it or spend it on cars, holidays or hookers. Your money, your choice. A sensible chap spends it on all three.

b) you have kept the ADs business and his staff in a job.

c) you have paid tax on the watch and thus contributed to the economy.

d) the AD and his staff also pay tax and therefore contribute to the economy.

e) the logistics companies were paid and both they and their employees pay tax and contribute to the economy.

f) you help keep Rolex and all its staff in a job and they all pay tax and contribute to the economy.

g) you help to keep Rolexes suppliers and their suppliers etc in a job and they all pay tax which contributes to the economy.

So basically that shiny heap of metal on your wrist has keep lots of people in work and raised taxes that pay for schools and hospitals etc.

Therefore wear the thing with pride.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2014, 06:20 AM   #93
presario
"TRF" Member

Do I feel guilty owning a Rolex? No, I've earned it so I wear it proudly. I don't think that's what the OP is asking.

He's asking would you wear your Rolex to a family member's house who is maybe unemployed or isn't doing well financially. Like I said, I don't feel guilty about my Rolex but would I wear it to his house? NO.

We're all human so he may feel inadequate or jealous or resentful, even though he is family or a dear friend. Why put yourself in that situation? Yes, it's just a watch but a Rolex is a symbol of success whether we like it or not and to flash that around to someone who's struggling isn't exhibiting much tact.
Old 18 December 2014, 10:46 AM   #94
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167, 16570, 5513
I feel the op's concern. I have felt self conscious about my shiny rolex around certain people, but not guilty for reasons that have been stated many times in this thread.

I actually flipped my ceramic sub because of the stand out bezel and aquired a polar 16570 which is a way under the radar rolex I'm my opinion. So op I think you will be fine with your choice of the explorer ii. I also got a pp 5167 and no one even gives that watch a second look and I feel completely comfortable I'm just about any situation. Go figure.
samuelhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 04:55 AM   #95
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1079 View Post
He never said he couldn't tell the difference. He just stated that he finds it amazing that companies can sell watches that on paper have similar function and depth specs etc, but there is such a massive variance in price between them. Don't take what I said out of context though. I highly doubt anything made by Invicta or Michael Kors will be around to give to your kids 30 years from now so the quality difference is obvious, but I am sure there is a much lower gap in the percentage between parts cost and finished product when comparing an Invicta to a Rolex.

Fair enough, sounded more rude than I intended. I really meant clearly it's not worth the price difference if he feels that way.
Old 19 December 2014, 05:07 AM   #96
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Not an ounce.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 05:14 AM   #97
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I do have gilt - white gilt Daytona (*_*).

Seriously, like many, I slaved away to make money while others threw their money away. I paid for college and post-grad and served in the military like many of you. So while some people buy big houses or lavish vacations, I prefer watches.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 05:19 AM   #98
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Wilsdorf Foundation yet. A fair portion of your Rolex dollars essentially goes to charity.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 05:25 AM   #99
Jinze01
Banned

There are alot more expensive brands than rolex though..
Jinze01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 05:35 AM   #100
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm 61 and wanted to buy a Sub ever since the early 60s. Sean Connery as Bond caused that to happen to a lot of people I think! I bought one , my first Rolex, this year as life finally "got out of the way " enough for me to be able to do that. I got debt free so went for it, a used, mint 14060M. I found it has made me very happy and has given me an unexpected hobby in becoming a WIS. It's become incredibly fascinating to learn the differences in models and the ways in which Sean's big crown Sub was different to mine.
Recently I got a Polar Exp 2 42mm and just LOVE it. The only comment I have ever received from wearing these has been from my local barista.."nice watch"
We do it for personal joy as tkerrmd said above. John Mayer said something similar in his Hodinkee interview.."it's ok to want nice things in your life".
Don't feel guilty about your purchases .If they give you the Wow factor... Enjoy!
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 05:48 AM   #101
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Wilsdorf Foundation yet. A fair portion of your Rolex dollars essentially goes to charity.
Good point. Most of the Xmas presents I bought this year were from ebay for charity, found a lot of really good stuff, didn't even mind losing on some auctions as at least I managed to push the prices up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 05:54 AM   #102
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I do have gilt - white gilt Daytona (*_*).

Seriously, like many, I slaved away to make money while others threw their money away. I paid for college and post-grad and served in the military like many of you. So while some people buy big houses or lavish vacations, I prefer watches.
I wish I had Rolex Gilt.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 06:09 AM   #103
Jinze01
Banned

You can get a used rolex for the price it cost to go to resturants and eat 20 times or less. Or you can get a used rolex for what it cost to build a decent gaming PC. It is all relative. You can get a used rolex for what it cost to smoke cigarettes in 2 years. And this is the issue with rolex, the brand is too known. With the price of used datejusts you dont really need to be super duper rich to save and buy one.

But if you buy a rolex just because you want status and dont know anything about horology, then yes. You shouldnt have bought it from the first place. I cant respect those who buy these watches just because that is "expected" by the community. To me it is important to make research before you buy and know what you buy, otherwise it is just like buying a soda. I mean many artista rolling around with rolex watches and they just look silly, I mean why would justin bieber for example wear 2 gold rolex anyways? That is totally stupid and he could might as well wear fake ones.
Old 19 December 2014, 06:28 AM   #104
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
No guilt whatsoever. But I do still carry a similar respect for the "marginal dollar" as I did when I was younger. Meaning I have no problem having a couple of Rolexes, but I do find myself questioning the utility that a 3rd would bring, not getting as much wear-time, etc. Still, I would feel no guilt over buying several more.
Old 19 December 2014, 06:39 AM   #105
Jinze01
Banned

I have issues with people who think they "earn" the stuff they are buying. Nobody has the right or earn anything in my opinion. There are people who work the same in some countries but cant buy stuff due to screwed up economy, in egypt an engineer earns less than a low wage part time worker in EU for example (despite living costs are similar due to inflation). Some are just living in privilaged areas thats all and the sooner you realize that the sooner you will be less delusional. I dont get why people are trying to justify purchase of luxury stuff, it cant be justified to be honest.

Because if you have that mentality one can might as well say they deserve to use and sell drugs because they "have" to...it is a thin line ^^.

But if you are giving back to the community and help people financialy in poor countries, then in my opinion you have more right to treat yourself. To me, every dollar you earn without giving anything back is not "clean" money, and that is maybe why so many people are screwed and unhappy despite having "everything" and that is why such people get 0 respect from me. Like those rappers...

I personly think there should be a law preventing people from buying luxury stuff if they havent given some of their money to projects in poor countries and similar. Rolex itself does that, but not the owners, which is kinda ironic.
Old 19 December 2014, 06:53 AM   #106
mjh315
"TRF" Member

This is an interesting topic brought up.

I began experiencing some associated Rolex guilt. I'm 30 years old and was planning on purchasing a rolex to mark the milestone. Instead I ended up purchasing two new pieces from my local AD within 2 weeks of each other. I couldn't be happier and now I'm addicted to luxury watches!

However I do feel some guilt when I see others struggling but then I remember it's all about life choices and priorities. The majority of people are in their life path because of their own actions. I made certain choices in my life that have allowed me to seek out the things I enjoy. The elegance and history of a Rolex watch on my wrist compares to nothing else I encounter in my daily business and affairs. With cheap sales and bargain discounts at every aisle and the poor quality of most everything we own it feels great to own these time pieces!
mjh315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 06:57 AM   #107
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Chaps

When you walk out of an ADs shop with a new Rolex on your wrist, just remember the following.

a) it was your money and you have the right to invest it or spend it on cars, holidays or hookers. Your money, your choice. A sensible chap spends it on all three.

b) you have kept the ADs business and his staff in a job.

c) you have paid tax on the watch and thus contributed to the economy.

d) the AD and his staff also pay tax and therefore contribute to the economy.

e) the logistics companies were paid and both they and their employees pay tax and contribute to the economy.

f) you help keep Rolex and all its staff in a job and they all pay tax and contribute to the economy.

g) you help to keep Rolexes suppliers and their suppliers etc in a job and they all pay tax which contributes to the economy.

So basically that shiny heap of metal on your wrist has keep lots of people in work and raised taxes that pay for schools and hospitals etc.

Therefore wear the thing with pride.

Regards

Mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh315 View Post

I began experiencing some associated Rolex guilt. I'm 30 years old and was planning on purchasing a rolex to mark the milestone. Instead I ended up purchasing two new pieces from my local AD within 2 weeks of each other. I couldn't be happier and now I'm addicted to luxury watches!

However I do feel some guilt when I see others struggling but then I remember it's all about life choices and priorities. The majority of people are in their life path because of their own actions. I made certain choices in my life that have allowed me to seek out the things I enjoy. The elegance and history of a Rolex watch on my wrist compares to nothing else I encounter in my daily business and affairs. With cheap sales and bargain discounts at every aisle and the poor quality of most everything we own it feels great to own these time pieces!
Two of the best posts in this thread!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 07:12 AM   #108
Jinze01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh315 View Post

You really want to believe that dont you?
Old 19 December 2014, 08:54 AM   #109
Rolexbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Rolex, like Harley is not so much a watch company as a marketing organization. There are plenty of very artfull watches I am seeing out there since I started looking at expensive time pieces........ . $30,000 dollars or more that no one except a true watch connoisseur would recognize. I am completely amazed at the prices they get for these unknown watches.

Rolex is a very commercial company in comparison . I don't think that they necessarily make the best watches in the world any more than Harley makes the best motorcycle.

I've seen some watches on YouTube where people polish a tiny part for a week because it seen through a little see through area under the crystal .

Those are truly collectors items and for watch connoisseurs. The biggest "problem" with those watches is no one knows what they are whereas everyone pretty much knows Rolex. If Rolex was not a household name, IMO far fewer people would buy them.

It is ironic Those really really exclusive watches are of the type you can proudly wear around anyone and not feel guilty because no one knows what they are. They are buried far under the promotional and marketing radar .
Rolexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2014, 09:03 AM   #110
Jinze01
Banned

To be fair, rolex are good value for the money, if you value "in house movemento", good quality materials, and classic design and rich history brand. There are plenty of brands charging similar for 304l SS watches with "modified" ETA movements.
Old 19 December 2014, 09:11 AM   #111
ming the merciless
"TRF" Member

I'm not embarrassed in the slightest to have a Rolex or two. I've been a working guy ( engineer ) all my life. I could have blown the dosh on a cruise or a new car but I didn't. My wife does say from time to time that having a £5k watch on her wrist is kind of embarrassing but she's not that embarrassed that she's given it me back !

I'm not into the scene were people send in photo's of their watch / watches. Ostentatious displays of wealth ( or debt ) are not for me or most Brits.
ming the merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 06:35 PM   #112
AdamRobbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub W/ Dmd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I don't display my signs of achievements I live them
Brilliantly said.
AdamRobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 07:37 PM   #113
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Don't feel guilty and don't show off

But occasionally if I walk by a street sleeper homeless person I've thought of giving him my watch or at least a few notes. I've run over this scenario in my head a few times and realised no matter what you give them you can't control the outcome.

Compassion More than anything, if you allow yourself to feel guilt it will tear you up. Work hard and just be a nice person.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 07:54 PM   #114
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ming the merciless View Post
I'm not embarrassed in the slightest to have a Rolex or two. I've been a working guy ( engineer ) all my life. I could have blown the dosh on a cruise or a new car but I didn't. My wife does say from time to time that having a £5k watch on her wrist is kind of embarrassing but she's not that embarrassed that she's given it me back !

I'm not into the scene were people send in photo's of their watch / watches. Ostentatious displays of wealth ( or debt ) are not for me or most Brits.
They seem to all have moved state side. :D
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 08:41 PM   #115
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
I dont feel worthy to wear a rolex or anything luxurious sometimes even though I wear them anyway. I do feel somewhat guilty. Even though I help people as much as I can my 6k spent on a watch could help a lot more people in need than just spending it on a watch. But if one doesnt need a expensive watch and we only buy what we need, not want, and give the rest to those who cant get what they need.Maybe then the world wouldnt feel so divided. Psh like thats ever gonna happen. People like to feel superior to others and with luxury items thats easily 80% of the reason why people will buy such things.

Sent from my Motorola Razor
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 09:14 PM   #116
SubGunner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610 "M"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinze01 View Post
I personly think there should be a law preventing people from buying luxury stuff if they havent given some of their money to projects in poor countries and similar. Rolex itself does that, but not the owners, which is kinda ironic.
Wow what a facist!
SubGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 09:22 PM   #117
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexbiker View Post
Rolex, like Harley is not so much a watch company as a marketing organization. There are plenty of very artfull watches I am seeing out there since I started looking at expensive time pieces........ . $30,000 dollars or more that no one except a true watch connoisseur would recognize. I am completely amazed at the prices they get for these unknown watches.

Rolex is a very commercial company in comparison . I don't think that they necessarily make the best watches in the world any more than Harley makes the best motorcycle.

I've seen some watches on YouTube where people polish a tiny part for a week because it seen through a little see through area under the crystal .

Those are truly collectors items and for watch connoisseurs. The biggest "problem" with those watches is no one knows what they are whereas everyone pretty much knows Rolex. If Rolex was not a household name, IMO far fewer people would buy them.

It is ironic Those really really exclusive watches are of the type you can proudly wear around anyone and not feel guilty because no one knows what they are. They are buried far under the promotional and marketing radar .
I certainly can't argue that Rolex is not a marketing company. They spend more on advertising than anyone else by a long way.

However; Rolex is certainly a watch company. The quality and number of watches made every year blows everyone else out of the water.
The number of patents they hold or have held is breathing, not to mention the history of the brand.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 09:27 PM   #118
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
We all get hung up expressing our thoughts on the general public. Most people WILL NOT notice what watch you are wearing unless you are trying to flash it around. Cars/boats clothes even shoes are all more visible signs of wealth.

Wear your watch, enjoy your watch but just don't make a big deal of it almost everyone else won't either.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 09:27 PM   #119
SubGunner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610 "M"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexbiker View Post
What I find strange is the same elements go into a $300 watch as a $8000 watch. Both keep great time. Rolex is a lot like Harley Davidson.

All about marketing. Whereas the Corvette is a great bargain high performance car in it's class. It actually delivers what cars 3x the cost can and more reliably.
This is actually a terrible comparison with Harley to Rolex. Sure Harleys are extremely desirable now, but I guess most people don't remember Harley nearly going bankrupt in the late 70s and early 80s from piss poor quality. I seem to remember the jokes being "buy two Harleys, one to drive and one for parts." Rolex has never, ever, had quality control issues like that.

Sounds like you enjoy Corvettes and value, so don't forget about the humble Nissan GT-R.
SubGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2014, 09:39 PM   #120
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
We all get hung up expressing our thoughts on the general public. Most people WILL NOT notice what watch you are wearing unless you are trying to flash it around. Cars/boats clothes even shoes are all more visible signs of wealth.

Wear your watch, enjoy your watch but just don't make a big deal of it almost everyone else won't either.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote