The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 July 2009, 01:41 AM   #1
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Nightmare 1665

I have a Double Red Rolex 1665 that was my fathers. I had it serviced in 1995 in Dallas 2 years after my father passed away. It came back looking new. They wanted to change out the band but I couldn't afford it so they sent it back with the watch unchanged but polished. I thought about keeping it in the box when it came back but thought to myself.....eh, its a watch meant to be worn so I have worn it as an everyday watch since. I always thought it was worth about $1500 bucks. Well, I lost the bezel while out on a motorcross track a couple of years ago and intended to "bite the bullet" and send it back in to Rolex Service to be fitted with a new bezel and be re-oiled ect... Since I have been recently looking into having this done it has been bittersweet. Apparently the watch turned out to be the "Holy Grail" of watches and nobody wants to help me. I am sick and tired of this watch now. Its all original including the band minus the replaced crystal in 95 (I guess the original crystal is more dome shaped?). It seems to me that the bezel should be a pretty standard bezel put on many other watches/models. And BTW when I say bezel I do realize its a few parts put together. So much hastle over a watch is unbelievable. I'm glad that it has appreciated in value but it has made keeping my Dads watch in good working order by the people that should be the only ones working on it (namely Rolex Service) a nightmare. I also understand that parts aren't made forever and this might be a problem for even Rolex but the watch is still ticking nicely and a bezel should be a common part I would think. The company doesn't want other repair shops to have parts, fine with me (maybe not for many of you). Then let me buy the parts from you (Rolex) and service me then. And if there is a demand for parts for certain models, I am sure Rolex can reproduce a little gear to exact specs. to keep their beautiful watches humming. After all, they are Rolex. As for cases and dials it may be another story. I don't expect them to reproduce the entire watch. Gotta draw the line somewhere I suppose. I had planned on giving the watch to my son after my departure as I received it from my father but now I "almost" want to just get rid of it and buy a new one to give him. It wouldn't be the same though. The watch has a story behind it and that would be lost. I guess I just wanted to share my experience with those who would listen and understand.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote