The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 25 April 2024, 09:41 AM   #31
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
He used a picture of Mase for his fake ID
LOL ... so true!
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:58 AM   #32
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

American Rolex Robber who preys on California in person sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post

It seems the PC “police” here are more concerned with how the perp is identified rather than the thief being caught. Ridiculous!

Thanks for the info OP.

[

There’s a photograph of the dude. Multiple references to his race aren’t necessary to identify the guy.
I’d argue that putting a description in the headline that is so generic is pretty useless: no height, no weight, no identifying characteristics that would be useful to people. All it probably does is make it harder for black people to buy watches.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:12 AM   #33
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

STOLEN Rolex Platinum Day Date Ref. 228206 Serial 288746F1

What this guy does is work reverse discrimination in his favor. I have spoken at length to other victims and would be victims (ones who were targeted and for one reason or another ended up not meeting with the guy), and all of us are upset of course because we were victimized and robbed, but also because of the fact that this guy like it or not, gives people a reason to be wary of any African American who contacts us wanting to buy a watch, especially one who wants to meet in person - and that's his fault, not ours.

Obviously not one of us who was victimized is prejudiced or else we wouldn't have met with the guy in the first place. Race had nothing to do with anything.

Let's face it though - if I had read someplace on RolexForums or elsewhere about an African American Rolex Robber before this guy contacted me, I wouldn't have been robbed. Not because I would have hung up the phone right then and there, but because it would have clicked first along with other details.

I don't think it is any different from putting out there a detailed description including race of a serial killer, to protect the community.
Modiferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:12 AM   #34
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
[

There’s a photograph of the dude. Multiple references to his race aren’t necessary to identify the guy.
I’d argue that putting a description in the headline that is so generic is pretty useless: no height, no weight, no identifying characteristics that would be useful to people. All it probably does is make it harder for black people to buy watches.
So if he had said ‘white’ would it have made it harder for white people to buy watches?
Old 25 April 2024, 10:28 AM   #35
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Thank you OP for sharing your unfortunate incident. Living in the norcal area myself so I'll be extra wary. Maybe time to move!!
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:28 AM   #36
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
So if he had said ‘white’ would it have made it harder for white people to buy watches?

Nope. If you don’t know how the world works, I’m not sure what else to say.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:30 AM   #37
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
OP, thanks for sharing your story and I hope you get your watch back. I also hope he gets what’s coming to him.

There’s a special place in Hell for people like him.
TRF #139960
RichM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:42 AM   #38
dubins930

I see the “participation trophy” folks have a strong presence on this thread…..
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:42 AM   #39
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Cops need to go undercover and catch this guy, though they should be able to use facial recognition to identify him. Sorry for your trouble, OP, and sincerely hope they catch this man.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:43 AM   #40
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post

What does THAT mean? Also, who is Mase?

Kat

Old 25 April 2024, 10:44 AM   #41
thughes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS9D View Post
We live in a silly world now where any verbiage the OP would’ve/could’ve used would have been questioned and criticized. Maybe we should just thank him for the info, especially those of us in CA.
Was thinking the exact same thing. PC has replaced comon sense
thughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:53 AM   #42
Socal Runner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: RG Day-Date
I was selling my rose gold Daytona a couple months ago and luckily from reading a previous post I had my guard up.

This group reached out and then we hopped on a call. The second he mentioned cannabis industry and authenticating the watch at a jeweler I knew it was a complete scam. He also mentioned he would send a picture of his ID early on the call, and said he would pay in full via wire and that it was no problem. After the initial conversation I immediately blocked the number.

He was definitely polished and knew about watches as mentioned above. If I had not read good posts like these I would have definitely been more inclined to advance in the sales process and potentially even been unfortunately robbed like some of these good people have been. These guys are scum and be careful when selling.
Socal Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:03 AM   #43
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modiferous View Post
What this guy does is work reverse discrimination in his favor. I have spoken at length to other victims and would be victims (ones who were targeted and for one reason or another ended up not meeting with the guy), and all of us are upset of course because we were victimized and robbed, but also because of the fact that this guy like it or not, gives people a reason to be wary of any African American who contacts us wanting to buy a watch, especially one who wants to meet in person - and that's his fault, not ours.

Obviously not one of us who was victimized is prejudiced or else we wouldn't have met with the guy in the first place. Race had nothing to do with anything.

Let's face it though - if I had read someplace on RolexForums or elsewhere about an African American Rolex Robber before this guy contacted me, I wouldn't have been robbed. Not because I would have hung up the phone right then and there, but because it would have clicked first along with other details.

I don't think it is any different from putting out there a detailed description including race of a serial killer, to protect the community.
You've provided a lot of very detailed and valuable information in your post. I think some were just saying that there is no need to over emphasize race - it's quite obvious his race from the photos. Hopefully those considering selling their watches in California will click this thread and be aware.

Again, I'm sorry you were victimized and I hope this person is brought to justice.
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:10 AM   #44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modiferous View Post
The watch that was stolen from me February 2023 by this guy is the following:

Rolex Platinum 40mm Day Date President MOTIF ice blue dial
Ref.

Serial
288746F1

(2015 year)

It was stolen with the box, but not the papers.

Contact me via PM if you come across this watch, are contacted by the African American Rolex Robber, or have any information about the robber or his crimes. I will put you in touch with the police detectives handling the cases
This happened a year and two months ago?
881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:13 AM   #45
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

STOLEN Rolex Platinum Day Date Ref. 228206 Serial 288746F1

There have been about eight theft/robberies connected to the same thief, over the past year or two.

He's still out there, still trying, as mentioned by others in this thread and on this forum.
Old 25 April 2024, 11:15 AM   #46
WWRD
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about this. I hope they catch this thug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WWRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:23 AM   #47
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
Was thinking the exact same thing. PC has replaced comon sense

I agree with you guys, but can see the other side, too. His race was mentioned a few too many times. In general, I believe we, as a society, have gone overboard, of late, in an effort to always be politically correct. It’s hard to talk about anything that can be remotely controversial, without risking offending someone. It’s a shame. I’m a left leaning Californian, but some of the things I see and hear make me cringe. I find even some of the regular commercials on TV to be offensive. We’ve gone too far. The OP is doing us a favor, wanting us to be safe, and not experience what he did. So, kudos to him. Let’s focus on his good intentions, rather than criticize how he delivered the message. After all, he did edit his title, when asked.

Kat

Old 25 April 2024, 11:24 AM   #48
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
That’s crazy and thank you for the write up.

The Mase fake id is hilarious though .

LOL the last ID is another rapper... G Herbo
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:45 AM   #49
Lash L
"TRF" Member

Just shut the thread down already. Gross.
Lash L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:48 AM   #50
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Ugh... This thread sucks.

Why?

I would have thought this POS would have been identified and caught by now. This is SERIOUS theft. I don't pretend to know what he could sell just the two known stolen watches for, but I assume it's close to 100K. Thanks freaking bank heist money and that's just two we know about.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:57 AM   #51
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Been seeing an uptick of these fake ID’s used in attempted fraudulent automotive purchases too (had two at my dealership within the last 30 days) these ID’s are much better than fakes of the past but there are ways to tell they aren’t legit. Easiest one is that the word “California” and the words “drivers license” on a real Cali ID are the same shade of blue; on these fakes they are a bit different. Also too the blue in the background of the photo is lighter and more of a teal than the real blue California photo background.

If anyone ever has a concern on a fake ID feel free to PM me I can give it a look. Stay safe out there!
Another thing you may do, and unfortunately I didn't do it until after the incident which is a testament to how smooth this guy was in feigning legitimacy, is open up the ID on your computer, and take a cropped screenshot of just the picture portion (or open it on PhotoShop, and crop away just the picture image and paste it into a new clipboard).

Then download that image, just the picture from the ID, onto your computer and use both tineye.com and Google reverse image search to see if it already exists on the internet.

For this picture which is the one he used on me,

it came up as an Adobe and Shutterstock stock image.

Over all though, those are pretty good fake IDs that would fool most anyone who received one online. I doubt they are actual 3 dimensional plastic cards - they appear to be images created by some software, which might explain why they are always on the same sort of wood background.
Old 25 April 2024, 12:11 PM   #52
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
What does THAT mean? Also, who is Mase?

Kat

Does this ring any bells?

He’s the African American in the back
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 12:18 PM   #53
Oldfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I agree with you guys, but can see the other side, too. His race was mentioned a few too many times. In general, I believe we, as a society, have gone overboard, of late, in an effort to always be politically correct. It’s hard to talk about anything that can be remotely controversial, without risking offending someone. It’s a shame. I’m a left leaning Californian, but some of the things I see and hear make me cringe. I find even some of the regular commercials on TV to be offensive. We’ve gone too far. The OP is doing us a favor, wanting us to be safe, and not experience what he did. So, kudos to him. Let’s focus on his good intentions, rather than criticize how he delivered the message. After all, he did edit his title, when asked.

Kat

Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 12:26 PM   #54
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
LOL the last ID is another rapper... G Herbo

Haha holy crap. For such a well thought out scheme he really got lazy with the pictures.

It’s almost like this POS knew his target demographic would never recognize these individuals.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 12:32 PM   #55
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post

Perhaps they’d “feel” better if we highlighted the “crime” committed on Mase rather than the theft of very expensive time pieces .
Old 25 April 2024, 12:37 PM   #56
brome
"TRF" Member

lol. Mase.
brome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 12:40 PM   #57
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash L View Post
Just shut the thread down already. Gross.
Why? A thread like this may prevent others from the same fate.
Someone on here already mentioned how this thread alerted him to the potential scam/theft. If not interested simply bypass the thread.
Old 25 April 2024, 12:41 PM   #58
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Does this ring any bells?

He’s the African American in the back

Old 25 April 2024, 12:46 PM   #59
DVR4
"TRF" Member

Color is relevant.
If it was an automotive hit and run and listed as a black camry. Everybody would know not to look for a blue camry.

Probably worth mentioning the most prolific rolex thief of recent past, was white.
The envelope switcher.

Thank goodness for ignore. I no longer have to read posts from the chick that feels compelled to post in every thread multiple times, brag about her collection... Except when y'all quote her.
DVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 01:03 PM   #60
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR4 View Post
Color is relevant.
If it was an automotive hit and run and listed as a black camry. Everybody would know not to look for a blue camry.

Probably worth mentioning the most prolific rolex thief of recent past, was white.
The envelope switcher.

Thank goodness for ignore. I no longer have to read posts from the chick that feels compelled to post in every thread multiple times, brag about her collection... Except when y'all quote her.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african american , california , robber , rolex , thief