The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 30 August 2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream99 View Post
You are totally wrong. Try taking the Sub down to 600mtrs as the PO can handle, not the mere 300 mtrs for the Sub, Oh and the PO has a Helium escape valve as well. The Omega is a TRUE Divers watch, Coupled with Omega 4 year warranty against Rolex 2 years and Servicing is at least and probably over 8 years for the PO, Rolex state 4 years i think. That's why I say the PO is a far better watch than the Sub. Try one on you will see what i mean.
Try taking yourself down to 600mtrs mate.
Or try your helium escape valve in a deco chamber.
I'm quite happy watching a movie tonight.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Dream99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Try taking yourself down to 600mtrs mate.
Or try your helium escape valve in a deco chamber.
I'm quite happy watching a movie tonight.
Hi MAte. That's the build quality of a true divers watch Mate. Omega does what it says on the tin, Rolex does not but hey as long as its a rolex thats ok Right.
Dream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2013, 01:40 AM   #3
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
Quote:
You are totally wrong. Try taking the Sub down to 600mtrs as the PO can handle, not the mere 300 mtrs for the Sub, Oh and the PO has a Helium escape valve as well. The Omega is a TRUE Divers watch, Coupled with Omega 4 year warranty against Rolex 2 years and Servicing is at least and probably over 8 years for the PO, Rolex state 4 years i think. That's why I say the PO is a far better watch than the Sub. Try one on you will see what i mean.
I'm not to sure what I'm " totally wrong" about.... I simply answered the ops question. No, the po is not the new sub. That's a fact. I can see your love for the po/omega, and that's great man but don't claim I'm wrong, and then ramble on about the highlights of the po. There are plenty a wonderful
Watches out there, a lot will out shine the sub. But non of them will be the new sub... Oh, and I've tried on the po while deciding which of their cologne I liked, neither did anything for me. Be well
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Survivor
Banned

Watch: DSSD
I've owned both (well, its a DSSD, not a Sub) and a PO XL.......only kept one of them......guess which one???? Answer in my next post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0173.jpg (84.0 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0386.jpg (83.8 KB, 272 views)
Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2013, 01:27 PM   #5
salty_snack

Quote:
And as for the movement comparison... Rolex need to up their game very soon I think. Just my 2 cents worth.
What is wrong with the 3135? Rugged... Accurate... What more can you realistically want from a movement? Sure it's not the most beautiful movement out there but without a display case back who the heck cares.

Other than the reasonably nice finishing on the 8500 it isn't much of an improvement over the 3135. The co-axial movement is 95% marketing 5% substance.
salty_snack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 09:10 AM   #6
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Quote:
I'm afraid that when women wear a watch its reduces its street cred as a mans watch. How many women wear the 45.5 mm PO. Case dismissed, PO all the way
And as for the movement comparison... Rolex need to up their game very soon I think. Just my 2 cents worth.
Uh.....really? A woman's use of an object decreases its "manlyness?" I don't know whether to feel insulted or just laugh...
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 09:58 AM   #7
dbelle7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Everose DD
Quote:
I'm afraid that when women wear a watch its reduces its street cred as a mans watch. How many women wear the 45.5 mm PO. Case dismissed, PO all the way

So are you saying women don't dive or don't need watches or that women in general just aren't that credible?
dbelle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
WTF? I don't use those letters often but what you've just stated is a huge affront to women. Where do you get off saying such a thing? There are several women on this forum and many of us enjoy wearing large sized watches. I'd advise you to reel in the attitude.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 10:20 AM   #9
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
WTF? I don't use those letters often but what you've just stated is a huge affront to women. Where do you get off saying such a thing? There are several women on this forum and many of us enjoy wearing large sized watches. I'd advise you to reel in the attitude.
x1000!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 06:57 AM   #10
Dream99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
You are missing my point because like all women you have to prove something where as men do not.
The sub has turned into a unisex watch where as the Omega PO has not because Omega make a smaller size for the smaller wrist of the female of the species
so thats my point ok
Old 9 September 2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 10:58 AM   #12
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
The answer to the "PO or Sub" question is clear, the answer is YES!

Unique watches with great manufacturers and pedigrees, they aren't the same watch so it's totally acceptable to own both, as many here do...
I think you really nailed it Marc, both are great looking watches and I for one admire both brands for the high quality products they can offer. The only thing I have against the PO is its size, 42mm and 45.5mm are too big for my tastes so I would probably go with a Submariner (at least as a "first") but I did own a SMP a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot (though I don't think I could wear one again given my new interest for smaller watches).

Quote:
I'm afraid that when women wear a watch its reduces its street cred as a mans watch. How many women wear the 45.5 mm PO.
That's a pretty out of line comment Alan, not only does it not prove anything but it's also sexist and inappropriate.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 11:18 AM   #13
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Another smart woman chiming in here....my first thought is that you must be single. Second thought? You will probably stay single as long as you exhibit that kind of sexist attitude...
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Another smart woman chiming in here....my first thought is that you must be single. Second thought? You will probably stay single as long as you exhibit that kind of sexist attitude...
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 12:02 PM   #15
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Actually this was one of my reservations when buying the 45.5mm PO - the bravado from some who say you have to wear a large watch to be a man.

I didn't want to be perceived as that d-bag sporting a big watch, but fortunately I am secure enough that I buy what I like.

I am also secure enough to encourage my wife to wear my watches without worrying about 'street cred'.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2013, 12:11 PM   #16
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
What kind of cretinous idiot are you anyway? And don't mess with me. I've got the power and you don't.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 06:59 AM   #17
Dream99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
What kind of cretinous idiot are you anyway? And don't mess with me. I've got the power and you don't.
Who are you calling names that's a sign you have no class and why you probably wear Rolex.
Old 12 September 2013, 07:14 AM   #18
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Who are you calling names that's a sign you have no class and why you probably wear Rolex.
He failed to heed my warning. So he's now off to dreamland permanently.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2013, 07:18 AM   #19
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
EDIT: My post is not necessary anymore since it seems like Ed solved our problem, thank you my friend.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2013, 12:26 PM   #20
hpowders
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Rolex needs to up their game as to their movements? The Sub C has a terrific movement. After 4 1/2 months my Sub C loses an average of 1.4 seconds per day. The PO does any better?
Omega Speedmaster Professional
Grand Seiko SBGX061
hpowders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2013, 01:16 PM   #21
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
In terms of comfort (weight, caseback) Sub wins

in terms of everthing else Planet Ocean
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2013, 01:32 PM   #22
htc8p
"TRF" Member

while it has not yet been proven. im willing to bet that the coaxial movement will turn out to be better than the 3135.
Old 29 August 2013, 01:40 PM   #23
salty_snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
while it has not yet been proven. im willing to bet that the coaxial movement will turn out to be better than the 3135.
Better based on what???

Suffice to say both are great movements and will outlast the original owner with a little bit of maintenance along the way. I do find it amusing, however, how so many people have professed the co-axial to be the best thing ever... but don't know why except omega says so.
Old 30 August 2013, 01:11 PM   #24
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_snack View Post
Better based on what???

Suffice to say both are great movements and will outlast the original owner with a little bit of maintenance along the way. I do find it amusing, however, how so many people have professed the co-axial to be the best thing ever... but don't know why except omega says so.
i am not going into a senseless debate with you. the silicone hair spring, the build, the looks, and the coaxial innovation are worth it.
Old 30 August 2013, 04:43 PM   #25
salty_snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
i am not going into a senseless debate with you. the silicone hair spring, the build, the looks, and the coaxial innovation are worth it.
Lol. There isn't a debate to be had here because I don't think you have the knowledge to actually debate the issue.

Parachrom bleu vs silicon hairspring - nearly identical under normal use.

The build??? - nearly identical in the build, both are mass produced. In my experience the sub does have a slightly better fit.

The looks??? - these are tool watches and the 3135 isn't visible without removal of the case back so it's a non-issue.

The coaxial innovation - minimal improvement at best.

Basically what it comes down to is the 8500 and 3135 will perform nearly IDENTICALLY under nearly all conditions. So is the 8500 BETTER? In 99%+ of the users out there the answer is no, you could switch one with the other and no one would notice.

And the coaxial isn't the be all end all of innovative escapements. There actually are a number of new and old escapement designs out there that are much more interesting and innovative than the coaxial.
Old 30 August 2013, 05:48 PM   #26
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_snack View Post
Lol. There isn't a debate to be had here because I don't think you have the knowledge to actually debate the issue.

Parachrom bleu vs silicon hairspring - nearly identical under normal use.

The build??? - nearly identical in the build, both are mass produced. In my experience the sub does have a slightly better fit.

The looks??? - these are tool watches and the 3135 isn't visible without removal of the case back so it's a non-issue.

The coaxial innovation - minimal improvement at best.

Basically what it comes down to is the 8500 and 3135 will perform nearly IDENTICALLY under nearly all conditions. So is the 8500 BETTER? In 99%+ of the users out there the answer is no, you could switch one with the other and no one would notice.

And the coaxial isn't the be all end all of innovative escapements. There actually are a number of new and old escapement designs out there that are much more interesting and innovative than the coaxial.
Well, the silicon hairspring is more resistant to shocks and always retains it shape, so it achieves better isochronism. As for Co-Axial, the second generation three level version is ridiculously stable as a timekeeper, and simply does not go wrong. I've been in the biz since the cal. 8500 was launched (2007) and I have never had one returned under warranty. I lost count a long time ago the number of cal. 3135s I've had returned under warranty. It really is that good. The cal. 3135 is a dinosaur by comparison
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2013, 03:34 PM   #27
DennisJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
This is exactly the reaction I was after, a lively for/against discussion.
Did go through the previous threads but didn't find much of this. Seems some gentle provocation did the trick.

Thanks for a good discussion.

I will follow some of the posters advise and get me both watches...
DennisJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2013, 12:02 AM   #28
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 - 14060M
You may be disappointed to find WOMEN wearing a PO...it does come in a 37.5mm for US women.

Sub is more iconic. Po is less expensive.
vitalsignsrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2013, 06:13 PM   #29
Dream99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsignsrn View Post
You may be disappointed to find WOMEN wearing a PO...it does come in a 37.5mm for US women.

Sub is more iconic. Po is less expensive.
Exactly my point Omega cater for women by making this size watch for them
Old 31 August 2013, 10:26 PM   #30
JB7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisJ View Post
Dear I say...

PO any day. What a fantastic watch. In fact the PO is the new Sub!
How about that?
That's the one with QoS etched on crystal isn't it, so not the standard. Not sure I'm mad on that PPK dial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
resale value isn't as good as the sub and it's not as iconic.
Maybe not as iconic, but that's not always a bad thing, It just means it's not as common, but my 5 year old PO is worth more now than what I paid for it new, if I were to sell, so I would get back more than I paid for it, so that isn't true at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
Rolex needs to up their game as to their movements? The Sub C has a terrific movement. After 4 1/2 months my Sub C loses an average of 1.4 seconds per day. The PO does any better?
not better, but my PO is +1 a day on a 2500C movement and I'm sure it's the same for many other owners of the PO. Wasn't like that when new though, was more of a +3, but in time they do improve with age, as long as you keep wearing them.

Having said all that in favour of the PO, I love the new Sub, but the squareness jutting out at the lugs is the only thing that puts me off
JB7 is offline   Reply With Quote