The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 March 2024, 06:36 AM   #31
gregouille
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
i like the code but it's weird that people are trying to justify themselves buying one.... It's like just enjoy your watch you don't need to justify your purchase to others on an forum. There are hublots i like that everyone would gasp me liking, but who cares i like it.

this 100%
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:44 AM   #32
Watchguynyc8300
"TRF" Member

Anyone found the new 38mm size makes the watch much less “big” on the wrist?

The 41mm when I tried it on my 7.5 inch wrist looked quite large with the amount of white space and numerals on the dial. Do the proportions of the 38mm make the overall design look more balanced?

Also anyone tried a different strap on the code?
Watchguynyc8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 08:08 AM   #33
johnsonsxusfrt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I like the code but it's weird that people are trying to justify themselves buying one.... It's like just enjoy your watch you don't need to justify your purchase to others on an forum. There are hublots I like that everyone would gasp me liking, but who cares I like it.
100%. I Never understood the level of insecurity people have over owning something they like. But it does provide some insight as to the sheep mentality of many people and how easily they can be persuaded to adopt consensus just to feel like they belong to a group
johnsonsxusfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 08:45 AM   #34
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonsxusfrt View Post
100%. I Never understood the level of insecurity people have over owning something they like. But it does provide some insight as to the sheep mentality of many people and how easily they can be persuaded to adopt consensus just to feel like they belong to a group

Nonsense imo. When you like something a lot, it is completely normal to try and persuade others to like it too. I own a code and am enthusiastic about it. Not 1% insecure about it.
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 10:47 AM   #35
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
Nonsense imo. When you like something a lot, it is completely normal to try and persuade others to like it too. I own a code and am enthusiastic about it. Not 1% insecure about it.
100% agree.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 01:32 PM   #36
squall1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree, we all find our tribes in these types of connections. People who come into a thread and try to twist that around through negativity...they are the ones I question.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 01:42 PM   #37
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall1 View Post
Agree, we all find our tribes in these types of connections. People who come into a thread and try to twist that around through negativity...they are the ones I question.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 01:57 PM   #38
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Old 17 March 2024, 02:25 PM   #39
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex Rolex View Post
I am not an AP owner, but the Code 11.59 has drawn my interest for ownership.

I am a fan of “round” looking watches, and the Code fits my profile.

From an outsider looking in, I am puzzled that there are so many that find the Code distasteful …
I get that it’s not a RO, but to not think that this watch is beautiful (??) … I just don’t get …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one I actually really like.

I actually do like the code line. Love my wg code qp. I just do wish they were a hair cheaper. APs pricing was to show that they’re in the same class as their OG lineup.

Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 05:16 PM   #40
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly!
Old 17 March 2024, 05:37 PM   #41
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well said, I will tell anyone interested how amazing any of my watches are, same with my cars. You should see my wife's face when I start going on a 30 minute long rant about how good GT3s are
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 06:57 PM   #42
Audevache
"TRF" Member

The Code suffered from 2 things: questionable dial design choices for the first iteration, and even more from the forced bundling by most AP retailers during the COVID sports watch craze, which really devalues the watch.

Furthermore, its design is all about 3D effects and tiny execution details which social media pics just can’t reproduce. Unfortunately many online critics never actually handled, let alone ever wear a Code. Finally, production numbers are still quite low, there are probably only 20 to 30K watches in circulation, you barely ever get to see one in the wild. The only place where I ever saw a Code on somebody else’s wrist was at AP events.

I don’t think the pricing for the Codes is unreasonable if you compare it to the only meaningful benchmarks that are Patek, VC, and Lange (try finding a Chrono for 30K in the Patek catalogue).

Yes they depreciate for all the reasons stated above, the new steel models much less than the old dial layouts, we will see in a year how the new stamped PM releases will perform in the secondary market. But a lot of Calatravas are trading under retail as well, we are simply back to the old normal days of most watches losing some money initially.

Now let’s hope that the Code bashers that show up in every single Code thread finally get something else to complain about.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:25 PM   #43
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

As the owner of 2nd Gen of Code, the more I wear it, the more I appreciate it from case structure, lug, and other details. My non-watch enthusiast friends seem to love it like they do on Royal Oak.
It's just 5 years old. There's quite a long way to go for this model. Newer models are getting better, Starwheel is a piece to get, and the 2024 collections are quite cool (Love that green dial on RG case).
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:37 PM   #44
shafran
"TRF" Member

I love the PM versions in the chrono

But the hands on the ss version are nicer. Thicker with lume
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 07:39 PM   #45
shafran
"TRF" Member

Actually, I think the hands are better on all the new ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
Just looked on their website
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 08:13 PM   #46
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post

The newly released gold models are pretty much identical to the steel versions at least to my eyes

Old 17 March 2024, 09:29 PM   #47
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I am interested in these watches. I was shown the first version of the chronograph but I couldn’t read the time. Looks like they have sorted that out.

What I like is the attraction is all about the watch. My attraction to a Royal Oak is actually because of the bracelet. That is why I have never bought one.

These are cool watches and the price is competitive.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 11:31 PM   #48
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post
The newly released gold models are pretty much identical to the steel versions at least to my eyes

Yea it’s exactly the same. That’s the reason why they stopped WG on these codes
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 12:16 AM   #49
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Just got my CODE back for service...love this burgundy dial and it's nice to see a similar dial being used in the RO family. Sad to see this model get discontinued - as I think the WG mixed with the fume / smoked dial really elevates the piece, and I absolutely appreciate it over the 6119.

Here it is with its CODE family - and yes, PC and three hander were there before the Starwheel - so have been an early adopter of CODE as well. Never cared about the resale value, only cared if it made me smile!

Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 12:38 AM   #50
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfang56 View Post
Just got my CODE back for service...love this burgundy dial and it's nice to see a similar dial being used in the RO family. Sad to see this model get discontinued - as I think the WG mixed with the fume / smoked dial really elevates the piece, and I absolutely appreciate it over the 6119.

Here it is with its CODE family - and yes, PC and three hander were there before the Starwheel - so have been an early adopter of CODE as well. Never cared about the resale value, only cared if it made me smile!

that's a great CODE collection, thanks for sharing!
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 01:10 AM   #51
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfang56 View Post

That QP is a future classic imho. And so is the starwheel!
Old 18 March 2024, 02:23 AM   #52
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

Wow … just Wow …
further complainer sayeth not …

Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 02:45 AM   #53
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Everyone I know with a code only bought one because AP made them do it to get an RO.

I don’t know anyone that has bought one because they thought it’s a cool watch at MSRP lol
I did. Original series, rose gold, dark purple dial, time/date only. I bought it in 2020. Loved it then and I love it now. (The dial looks black 95% of the time but in the right light you see a cool hint of deep violet.)

It's on an AP black aramid strap, which I think is a great match for the watch overall.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 03:34 AM   #54
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
that's a great CODE collection, thanks for sharing!

My pleasure! Considering another CODE later this year...

Old 18 March 2024, 03:40 AM   #55
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That QP is a future classic imho. And so is the starwheel!

Totally agree. Went to a complications event and passed on the RO models, going directly to the CODE QP because it totally blew my mind. Yeah it was the first release year and the initial feedback was mixed, but I couldn't care less.

Fast forward to today, the damn watch still brings a crazy smile. Also realizing that the model is being discontinued as well with the 5134 based makes it a real treasure.

Cheers

Old 18 March 2024, 05:06 AM   #56
edo
"TRF" Member

Personally didn't like Code design (and name) from day 1, or should I say from 2 years before day 1 when I saw first prototype sketches...

The PR strategy on launch was disaster for the books...

It is still not the watch I like, because I love watches with bezel, on bracelet and with great ergonomics but must confess they did a terrific job on perpetual calendar with aventurine dial, architecture on tourbillons and flying tourbillons is insane, that architecture and layout is also used on splendid ultra complication, sonnerie models got that sapphire smoked dial, they finally used onyx again, got back the legendary Starwheel, smoked dials are done just right...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 05:25 AM   #57
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
I did. Original series, rose gold, dark purple dial, time/date only. I bought it in 2020. Loved it then and I love it now. (The dial looks black 95% of the time but in the right light you see a cool hint of deep violet.)

It's on an AP black aramid strap, which I think is a great match for the watch overall.

Isn’t that the same purple of the 2024 stainless steel tourbillon RO? I thought I didn’t like that color but it turns out I actually do.

Old 18 March 2024, 04:24 PM   #58
nickorette
"TRF" Member

I suspect that even those that like the codes, if given the opportunity to purchase a RO instead would have chosen the latter.

AP needs to stop wasting their precious resources overmaking references nobody wants, dedicate that to RO production instead. Less codes and offshore will raise secondary up to msrp, and people would be more likely to purchase knowing they won't lose their shirt if they have to sell.

More RO will reduce crazy grey premiums, lowering demand from flippers and therefore more for collectors/enthusiasts
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2024, 05:07 PM   #59
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
Less codes and offshore will raise secondary up to msrp, and people would be more likely to purchase knowing they won't lose their shirt if they have to sell.

More RO will reduce crazy grey premiums
I hear a contradicting view here. On one hand, you felt people are keeping their distance from CODE as they are losing their shirt over them but on the other hand, you felt high premium for ROs is not healthy. Isn't the so called crazy premium you are mentioning what it's supposed to be "not losing the shirt" for RO owners?
Old 18 March 2024, 06:55 PM   #60
PattayaHammerTime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
I suspect that even those that like the codes, if given the opportunity to purchase a RO instead would have chosen the latter.

AP needs to stop wasting their precious resources overmaking references nobody wants, dedicate that to RO production instead. Less codes and offshore will raise secondary up to msrp, and people would be more likely to purchase knowing they won't lose their shirt if they have to sell.

More RO will reduce crazy grey premiums, lowering demand from flippers and therefore more for collectors/enthusiasts

not me... I went to the boutique to actually get a code, was asked if I was interested in other models and said no just the code for now.

I understand that the RO is well known even to non watch people and the usual lot of trying to get one to make a premium on it or even wear it to tell people paid X and is worth Y now, I did that with a PP 5164a as I first purchased it to wear as I liked it but when it was getting spotted by randoms and getting comments I sold it for the hefty hype premium that it commanded.

People are the same with their homes as well, buying somewhere to live and stressing how much it's worth, is a strange world!
PattayaHammerTime is offline   Reply With Quote