The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 April 2024, 03:36 AM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
If you could buy it for $500 more than you could online, for example, but it gets $3k spend history, depending on what piece you're after, it may be worth it.

I'd rather drop $3k on a watch that holds its value a heck of a lot better than $3k on a tennis bracelet that I'd have a hard time selling for half its value.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 05:35 AM   #2
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post

I'd rather drop $3k on a watch that holds its value a heck of a lot better than $3k on a tennis bracelet that I'd have a hard time selling for half its value.
Thing is though , many people buy and wear watches for the love of doing so , they could not care less about residuals. In fact some would say it's a bit crass to talk about watches "holding" or "losing" their "value" unless you are in the 100K+ bracket of spend.
This is not a pop at you , far from it , but a statement about the reason for owning a watch in the first place .... if it's purely about residual worth , then for many there is little point in the detail , be it brand or aesthetics ....
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 05:49 AM   #3
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyOld Boy View Post
Thing is though , many people buy and wear watches for the love of doing so , they could not care less about residuals. In fact some would say it's a bit crass to talk about watches "holding" or "losing" their "value" unless you are in the 100K+ bracket of spend.
This is not a pop at you , far from it , but a statement about the reason for owning a watch in the first place .... if it's purely about residual worth , then for many there is little point in the detail , be it brand or aesthetics ....
I love watches and all the details about them, but there is a nicety in knowing that there is a safety net if your world gets turned upside down, or on the bright side--you just want a change of scenery on your wrist and have to sell the watch to do so. Unless you have tons of money, most people don't want to take a huge hit on what they're buying in the event they go to sell it.

My point here is that there is a lot more security and mobility in most watches you could get vs most jewelry.

I'm just trying to address the OP's conundrum and say why it may make more sense to spend a little more with the AD than he could find the watch online for.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote