The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2021, 05:48 AM   #1
lsck
"TRF" Member

How do I even start???

Got in the watch community this year, currently, I own an Omega and IWC.

How do I even start building a relationship with an AD if they literally have 0 items for me to buy? I was looking at some Tudors in my local AD and even the tudors require a waitlist. I don't want to just buy some random watch that I don't like just to "be on the list".

Should I just go grey market at this point? Help a newbie out :(
lsck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 06:18 AM   #2
SaintMickey
Banned

Buying a Tudor is not going to get you the Rolex you want. My AD has all Tudor in stock.

Buy what you want/like used or hopefully you want a model that isn't being gouged (not many of them aren't) by a Grey Market seller.

You only live once! (I think)
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 06:23 AM   #3
knighty88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
The point is they do have items for you to buy… just nothing that you (probably) want. One thing I can advise you, never settle for something when your heart is settled on a particular model. The itch will never be scratched, and it’ll cost you more anyway.

If you want to build a collection, play the AD game… If you’re a one and done, go grey. Life’s too short to play games and wait for something you’re unlikely to ever get! Just my 2p of course YMMV
knighty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 06:25 AM   #4
rkny
"TRF" Member

Call every AD within driving distance. Then call every AD within a 1 day round trip flight’s distance. Then call every AD within an overnight stay’s flight distance. Eventually you will make a connection over the phone with someone. And if it costs you a $1500 plane ticket, you’re still saving thousands over gray market.

It’s what I did in late September on my quest to get a Sub ND. By the 1st week of October, I was wearing one. Even managed to get it shipped and avoided a flight.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 06:27 AM   #5
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
It’s pretty simple.

0) Be presentable and friendly
1) Establish yourself as a customer by buying a small gift for your wife or mom (does not need to be anything expensive
2) Express interest in Rolex that is not ultra hot (no Daytona or GmT)
3) Check in occasionally and let them know how much your wife loves her earrings. Try not to bring up the Rolex too much or at all. They need to know you are interested in it but don’t beat the horse to death.
4) be moderately patient and lucky.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 06:39 AM   #6
lsck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post
Call every AD within driving distance. Then call every AD within a 1 day round trip flight’s distance. Then call every AD within an overnight stay’s flight distance. Eventually you will make a connection over the phone with someone. And if it costs you a $1500 plane ticket, you’re still saving thousands over gray market.

It’s what I did in late September on my quest to get a Sub ND. By the 1st week of October, I was wearing one. Even managed to get it shipped and avoided a flight.
Did you just tell them that you're interested in a sub ND? And you were able to secure one without a purchase history with them?
Old 10 December 2021, 06:42 AM   #7
SaintMickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmars View Post
It’s pretty simple.

1) Establish yourself as a customer by buying a small gift for your wife or mom (does not need to be anything expensive
3) Check in occasionally and let them know how much your wife loves her earrings. Try not to bring up the Rolex too much or at all. They need to know you are interested in it but don’t beat the horse to death.

I will agree with this. I never bought from AD's over the last 20+ years then with all the prices going up the only hope one has is to get one from an AD at MSRP.

I've gotten 2 in less than the last year. Mainly it took a "good conversation" and to find a person you get a long with. In my case it was an owner and that helped tremendously.

Miracles can happen.

SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 06:44 AM   #8
lsck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
I will agree with this. I never bought from AD's over the last 20+ years then with all the prices going up the only hope one has is to get one from an AD at MSRP.

I've gotten 2 in less than the last year. Mainly it took a "good conversation" and to find a person you get a long with. In my case it was an owner and that helped tremendously.

Miracles can happen.

Congrats! Plus I'm in the bay area so I feel like this makes things harder for me... Everyone is strapped with cash with inflation and stocks going to the moon
Old 10 December 2021, 06:58 AM   #9
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsck View Post

How do I even start building a relationship with an AD if they literally have 0 items for me to buy? I was looking at some Tudors in my local AD and even the tudors require a waitlist. I don't want to just buy some random watch that I don't like just to "be on the list".

If there are no watches, buying jewelry will kickstart your relationship with an AD
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:02 AM   #10
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty88 View Post
The point is they do have items for you to buy… just nothing that you (probably) want. One thing I can advise you, never settle for something when your heart is settled on a particular model. The itch will never be scratched, and it’ll cost you more anyway.

If you want to build a collection, play the AD game… If you’re a one and done, go grey. Life’s too short to play games and wait for something you’re unlikely to ever get! Just my 2p of course YMMV
^ good advice right there
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:04 AM   #11
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:

If your AD doesn't have any Tudor watches go find another AD.

Whether buying a Tudor gets you on the list for a Rolex is debatable, you shouldn't need to buy anything to get on a waitlist for an entry level Rolex and by that I mean a plain Oyster Perpetual or Air King or Explorer 1 or DateJust, all of these are watches supposedly to get you into the brand.

If your AD won't help you with the watches I've mentioned go try other AD's, if you want a Submariner, GMT, etc then you will have to engage with the AD buy spending some cash, go have a discussion and see what you are told.

Good luck.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:24 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

How do I even start building a relationship with an AD if they literally have 0 items for me to buy? (
If your AD doesn't stock other stuff that you want to buy, and if you are certain you won't get listed for a watch you want unless you buy a watch or watches you don't want, you might as well go grey, if you want a Rolex that much.

Or hold back and scout a few more ADs. Maybe you'll find one where you can start spending money on things you actually want in order to "build your relationship" - whatever that means, because it is bound to vary by AD. My AD sells a lot of watch brands, jewellery, pens, ornaments, some posh cosmetics, luggage and accessories, and more besides. It's not difficult to start spending there. The first time I walked in there was to get a new nib put on a Mont Blanc. A small start, but everything has to start somewhere.

We will each draw the line in a different place when it comes to what we are willing to spend on a grey premium. For me there are variations. I wanted a Hulk and I was confident I wasn't going to get one from any AD, so I went grey and have never regretted it. I was trying to climb onto my AD's list for a black SS Sky Dweller when the second UK Rolex MSRP price was announced in less that 12 months. I jumped on a grey one before the price went up yet again.

I was happy to wait for my BLRO because even back when my AD finally put me on their list, the grey premium was too much for me to stomach. It's totally bonkers now. Ditto the blue SS Sky Dweller. I'm 6th on my AD's list. I'll probably get it in 3-4 years. It will certainly be at a higher MSRP by then but I expect the grey market will be double, and I'm not willing to pay that much, regardless of how much I adore the Blue Sky and covet it. I believe that a part of getting the BLRO and latterly on to the Blue Sky Dweller list is that I seldom if ever call only to remind them. When I visit I usually spend something. I buy something for me or for my wife. I take stuff in to be appraised, serviced, repaired, cleaned etc. it all adds up and it might just get me in the right place at the right time. It happens.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:28 AM   #13
joejet
"TRF" Member

Go in talk watches, complement what the staff are wearing, say you are looking and get a name preferably a whatsapp number you can message on (could take more than 1 visit) go back in 2-3 weeks and talk to the same person again. Tell them why you are looking and what for, maybe a special birthday or anniversary etc.

Stay in contact pop in take donuts. Just as you would to make friends. Don't hound them every time but ask to try on demo pieces and ank to see maybe something not on display maybe you could try on a Sub or GMT to see if its the watch for you.
Good luck.

Forgot to say only ask for 1 piece don’t give a big list and try and ask for datejust or less popular pieces first.
joejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:29 AM   #14
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
Quote:
It’s pretty simple.

Fantastic advice. Couldn't agree more.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:32 AM   #15
ks58
Banned

It's definitely tough. People will buy things from an SA and still not get an intro model. Every AD is definitely different.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:36 AM   #16
Inthesticks
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Dont spend extra money on watches you dont want (like a Tudor.). If you want a Rolex you're better off going gray and spending more on that. I’d personally sooner spend 13k on a SS Sub (and get it asap) than spend 10k on Tudors so that you can wait a year and spend 10k on a sub.
Inthesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 07:37 AM   #17
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
You may need to bite the bullet and go grey.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 08:00 AM   #18
Recondope
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s pretty simple.

This is wise advice OP. I too live in the Bay Area. It is tough here. You are living in an area with a ton of wealth and you are up against many big spenders. Much of your success will depend on the reference that you are seeking but I'd follow the advice above and most of all, be patient. From personal experience, I can recommend Shreve and Co., I have bought both of my Rolex from them, albeit one was over a decade ago. Additionally, a friend of mine bought a 124060 from them this past summer without any prior purchase history and less than a one month wait. There are plenty of posts on this forum that attest to others getting their Rolex in similar fashion. Again, patience is the key. If you are impatient, I'd follow the other advice from above and just purchase the watch you want today from a grey dealer and have it in your possession within 24 hours. Good luck bud. I hope to see an incoming post from you in the future.

Last edited by Recondope; 10 December 2021 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: typo
Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 08:10 AM   #19
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:

Op what model are you looking to get
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 09:02 AM   #20
gerry100
"TRF" Member

go grey or wait
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 09:48 AM   #21
28mm
"TRF" Member

There are so many subtleties in how things can be done. It's almost impossible to give advice as it's combinations of so many factors.

Buying a Tudor can either make no difference or make a big difference, depending on how it's done, who you get it from, the connection you made with the SA, etc.

I got very lucky getting a 126610lv on a first purchase. I did know the SA from years ago and that's why I got it..but...when they showed me a Tudor I liked, I bought it because I liked it and it sent a message that "thank you" doesn't send.

There's lots of good advice already in this thread. If you have the disposition and time, you can get one at an AD.

It's a shitty game that only you can determine if you want to play.

Fun for some!
Old 10 December 2021, 12:36 PM   #22
lsck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Watches View Post
Op what model are you looking to get
Either a datejust or submariner ND
Old 10 December 2021, 12:36 PM   #23
lsck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recondope View Post
This is wise advice OP. I too live in the Bay Area. It is tough here. You are living in an area with a ton of wealth and you are up against many big spenders. Much of your success will depend on the reference that you are seeking but I'd follow the advice above and most of all, be patient. From personal experience, I can recommend Shreve and Co., I have bought both of my Rolex from them, albeit one was over a decade ago. Additionally, a friend of mine bought a 124060 from them this past summer without any prior purchase history and less than a one month wait. There are plenty of posts on this forum that attest to others getting their Rolex in similar fashion. Again, patience is the key. If you are impatient, I'd follow the other advice from above and just purchase the watch you want today from a grey dealer and have it in your possession within 24 hours. Good luck bud. I hope to see an incoming post from you in the future.
Shreve and Co in Palo Alto?
Old 10 December 2021, 12:38 PM   #24
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
As know here in Bay Area there are too many wealthy folks willing to spend tons $$$. If you're just wanting Rolex go to Shreve or Rolex in Valley Fair. Having said that if you want slightly broader market I suggest Kerns in Burlingame or Fourtané Jewelers in Monterey.

If you're wanting Rolex without a wait, you just have to go grey.
m3tek44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 12:41 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum.

You seem like a nice guy, so just be yourself. I’m sure you’ll make a good impression and get the watch you’re looking for with some patience.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 01:05 PM   #26
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Some folks have good luck or timing and get a watch relatively quickly after expressing interest. These stories pop up on TRF but are definitely more the exception than the rule (at least for highly-desired models). You should visit a few ADs and try to find one you would like to build a relationship with.

Bottom line is the vast majority of ADs will arrange their wait lists based on who they like. In most cases that means spend history, but it can also mean favoring someone who is respectful, patient, and expresses a genuine interest in watches. Cultivating a relationship with your AD is a long-term process but can pay dividends if you are patient.

Good luck!
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 01:21 PM   #27
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejet View Post
Go in talk watches, complement what the staff are wearing, say you are looking and get a name preferably a whatsapp number you can message on (could take more than 1 visit) go back in 2-3 weeks and talk to the same person again. Tell them why you are looking and what for, maybe a special birthday or anniversary etc.

Stay in contact pop in take donuts. Just as you would to make friends. Don't hound them every time but ask to try on demo pieces and ank to see maybe something not on display maybe you could try on a Sub or GMT to see if its the watch for you.
Good luck.

Forgot to say only ask for 1 piece don’t give a big list and try and ask for datejust or less popular pieces first.
Wait. Hold on. What kind of donuts work best? Glazed for stainless pieces and filled for PM? What if the SA has celiac disease. Should I bring some gluten free options?
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 03:12 PM   #28
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkny View Post

So you just called every AD you could until one paid you attention? Most get several phone calls a day, so I’m curious how you pulled this off.

That being said, in January 2019 when things were really starting to get hot (the grey premium was maybe $2k for a Sub date), I was calling around for a Sub, and I found a small family owned AD about 700 miles away. They just so happened to have one and were willing to sell it to me if I drove in. I ended up backing out because I found something else locally, but I wish so badly now I would’ve gotten it.

I feel like in today’s market, that would never happen.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 03:24 PM   #29
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:

I started with a quartz Tag Heuer Monaco with my AD in March 2019. Since then I got a DJ41 (blue dial jubilee), a Batman on Jubilee, a black Daytona, a second black Daytona, and (today) a Starbucks.

Start with something other than a Rolex and show your genuine love for Rolex and watches ... and it will come. :)
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 03:57 PM   #30
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

I will not pay a cent over retail for any item.

But the choice is yours.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote