The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 April 2024, 03:39 PM   #1
Block506
"TRF" Member

Buy from AD or order online? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looking to order two watches readily available on Longines website. I noticed the Rolex AD I usually buy from also is a Longines AD. Curious if folks here order non Rolex watches from their ADs to “build their purchase history” for things you could easily get yourself lol. Obviously the ulterior motive is getting on the ADs favorite call list, but is doing what I mentioned above a waste of time? I feel like the answer is buy from the AD but………iiii don’t know lol.
Block506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:21 PM   #2
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Obviously go the AD route and try to get a decent discount.
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:28 PM   #3
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Unless you’re saving money buying them online, I would go grab them from your AD and enquire about the Rolex model you’re waiting on whilst picking them up
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:28 PM   #4
jtorrebl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post

This. You need to build your purchase history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:30 PM   #5
Scubastu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126613LB
As already said go to the AD and try and get a discount, it cannot hurt to build up your spend history and also buying from AD in person is a much more pleasant experience than buying on line.
Scubastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 04:37 PM   #6
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
I would go to the AD. It's always better to try on watch first before buying. And also you will have some purchase history for the future if you decide to get a Rolex + you can get a discount in AD because on ordering the watch from website you have to pay full retail price.
Old 11 April 2024, 05:26 PM   #7
alexCoub
"TRF" Member

Agreed. It's best to have it done at an authorized dealer. While it's not guaranteed, you can negotiate a slightly better price than full retail price, online
alexCoub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 05:39 PM   #8
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
ECOMM is a different channel than physical for many companies. Therefore you might not build a “history” if you go that route.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 05:50 PM   #9
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post

Manufacturers typically don’t discount so as to protect/not tick off their retailers. You’ll have a chance at a discount from an AD and also build a history, AD all the way.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 08:45 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Please support your local dealers when possible.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 08:50 PM   #11
MrMikee
"TRF" Member

Buy from the AD.. and ask for a price match if you find it cheaper elsewhere. So you still get the discount, but also get the spend history.
MrMikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 10:23 PM   #12
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like Longines and have several, all purchased through my AD. Go on line and see what the watches are bringing on the various platforms. I know it gives you spend history with the AD but is that really going to be applied to a future Rolex purchase? Doubtful at best. Significant discounts should be offered upon asking or buy elsewhere.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 01:13 AM   #13
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

AD all the way.
Besides the discount, another advantage is you can try it on, check out other references, have a Perrier and maybe even snag some swag.

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 01:15 AM   #14
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Buy from an AD to build your spending habits.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 01:33 AM   #15
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Are you waiting on a Rolex from them? If so, tell them it would help you buy these other watches from them and not online if that Rolex was here sooner than later. I know they aren't a lot of money, but the AD needs to sell watches and move inventory, on Longines too.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 01:36 AM   #16
DoubleDeac
"TRF" Member

Money talks. Ask any business in existence. There is a huge difference between talking to someone about a desirable piece vs putting actually money on the table.

Buy it from your AD like most have said and you can even try to get a discount.
DoubleDeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 01:47 AM   #17
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
AD only.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:29 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Most ADs will discount this watch and it builds a relationship.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:35 AM   #19
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

25% off is standard with Longines if you phone about ,,, so as long as the AD will match close to that and it "helps your relationship" [ if you care less about that sort of nonsense ], then all great. No one that knows watches I know pays anywhere near full ticket for Longines , they are nice time pieces but overpriced for what they are ..... My Conquest that I paid £600 for five years ago is now retailing at £1150 which is completely ridiculous. It's one of my favourite watches but never worth over a grand [ UK ].
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 03:36 AM   #20
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
If you could buy it for $500 more than you could online, for example, but it gets $3k spend history, depending on what piece you're after, it may be worth it.

I'd rather drop $3k on a watch that holds its value a heck of a lot better than $3k on a tennis bracelet that I'd have a hard time selling for half its value.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 05:35 AM   #21
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post

I'd rather drop $3k on a watch that holds its value a heck of a lot better than $3k on a tennis bracelet that I'd have a hard time selling for half its value.
Thing is though , many people buy and wear watches for the love of doing so , they could not care less about residuals. In fact some would say it's a bit crass to talk about watches "holding" or "losing" their "value" unless you are in the 100K+ bracket of spend.
This is not a pop at you , far from it , but a statement about the reason for owning a watch in the first place .... if it's purely about residual worth , then for many there is little point in the detail , be it brand or aesthetics ....
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 05:49 AM   #22
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyOld Boy View Post
Thing is though , many people buy and wear watches for the love of doing so , they could not care less about residuals. In fact some would say it's a bit crass to talk about watches "holding" or "losing" their "value" unless you are in the 100K+ bracket of spend.
This is not a pop at you , far from it , but a statement about the reason for owning a watch in the first place .... if it's purely about residual worth , then for many there is little point in the detail , be it brand or aesthetics ....
I love watches and all the details about them, but there is a nicety in knowing that there is a safety net if your world gets turned upside down, or on the bright side--you just want a change of scenery on your wrist and have to sell the watch to do so. Unless you have tons of money, most people don't want to take a huge hit on what they're buying in the event they go to sell it.

My point here is that there is a lot more security and mobility in most watches you could get vs most jewelry.

I'm just trying to address the OP's conundrum and say why it may make more sense to spend a little more with the AD than he could find the watch online for.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 06:53 AM   #23
77T

Support the nearby AD is the best way to add value to your relationship there.

But if the price resistance twixt online and AD is great, then no reason to throw large sum of $$$ away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 10:47 AM   #24
Block506
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Are you waiting on a Rolex from them? If so, tell them it would help you buy these other watches from them and not online if that Rolex was here sooner than later. I know they aren't a lot of money, but the AD needs to sell watches and move inventory, on Longines too.
I already purchased a Rolex from them about 2 years ago and like most, have 1 or 2 others I am waiting on.

I definitely wasn’t aware of this AD “discount” I could potentially get for the Longines. From what I’ve seen both watches are the same price at the AD and on Longines website. But I’ll for sure be asking about a “discount” lol.

Is this the norm? Are readily available timepieces price negotiable or am I reading the replies wrong?
Block506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 11:07 AM   #25
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block506 View Post
I already purchased a Rolex from them about 2 years ago and like most, have 1 or 2 others I am waiting on.

I definitely wasn’t aware of this AD “discount” I could potentially get for the Longines. From what I’ve seen both watches are the same price at the AD and on Longines website. But I’ll for sure be asking about a “discount” lol.

Is this the norm? Are readily available timepieces price negotiable or am I reading the replies wrong?
Ask for a discount, they would rather earn your business and shop at AD storefront versus the official longines online website.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 12:33 AM   #26
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

You have some great recommendations. Support the local dealer. Get to know your Rolex SA. Will the Rolex SA be the one selling you the Longines watches?

No one can tell you that if you do something that will lead to something else with any certainty. Plenty of Rolex owners have bought Rolex watches from jewelry stores without any other purchases. How the store your are dealing with handles purchases, no one knows. But if you have a solid discussion with them, you should get an idea of how they allocate watches.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 09:14 PM   #27
alexCoub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
You have some great recommendations. Support the local dealer. Get to know your Rolex SA. Will the Rolex SA be the one selling you the Longines watches?

No one can tell you that if you do something that will lead to something else with any certainty. Talk to them about the possibility of using promo codes when making a purchase. Many stores offer promo codes for discounts or bonuses on watch purchases. And you can also find one online, such as promocodius also has discount options. Plenty of Rolex owners have bought Rolex watches from jewelry stores without any other purchases. How the store your are dealing with handles purchases, no one knows. But if you have a solid discussion with them, you should get an idea of how they allocate watches.
I bought my Rolex watch from an authorized dealer. It's worth it because of the peace of mind I get. I don't mind buying watches online if I can have confidence in the seller. But for me, buying a watch from a dealer is still a more special experience.
alexCoub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2024, 11:13 PM   #28
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
There is no downside in this scenario in buying from the AD, even in the absence of a discount. Displaying a willingness to spend and a friendly smile can only help your Rolex cause. And the AD knows Longines are available direct online. Have a nice conversation about Rolex while you are buying your Longines.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2024, 12:17 AM   #29
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I’d try the AD route but buying a couple of cheaper watches might not get you the reference you desire
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote