The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Bhutton
"TRF" Member

Breitlings - No Hype?

I love them - but it seems to me everyone only talks about Rolex, Omega's, and hell, even TAG i hear more then brietlings now...

The gent i work with has a significant collection and all he can talk about when it comes to brietlings is extra stock and the company (in his opinion) in a little bit of trouble.

Thoughts? Why doesn't this brand seem to have the hype of the others? is it maybe just because I'm in Canada?
Bhutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 09:45 AM   #2
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I love Breitling's, own two, but they made tons of watches in recent years and confused people with name changes and 15 different variations of the Navitimer and Chronomat/Evo over the last few years...

The guys at www.breitlingsource.com are the last of the fanatical Breitling guys.

Plus, if you don't control the distribution like Omega and Rolex does a buyer of a Breitling takes a huge hit when he walks out if the AD. Just try and sell one pre-owned, little interest and rock bottom prices.....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 12:26 PM   #3
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I used to really like breitlings. I've had 3 over the years. For me they just seemed to go overboard with the huge blingy watch trend. Couple that with rolling out so many new models it really made me lose interest in the brand as a whole. I guess the upside is that if you buy second hand you can get a pretty big discount off retail.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Some of the recent models by Breitling have left their previous customers wondering where the brand is going. They've taken classic models like the Superocean and completely changed it. They went away from their traditional bezels with rider tabs and made drastic changes with the fonts they use on them. Resale isn't the best, but there are still decent discounts to be had. There are some bright spots in their some of their latest releases, like the Transocean models, and they're now expanding with more in house movements. The new in house movements also come with a 5 year warranty (for those purchased after 1/1/12) so at least they're standing by their product.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 01:11 PM   #5
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
im into the heritage model...not a big fan of their aviator model even though its their signature...then again im just a dive watch kinda dude ..:) i think they made good quality watches..
wokafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 01:22 PM   #6
MCV
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GO Sport Evo
Correct, I think the brand has lost its way with many of the new models, getting rid of the rider tab bezel and the fonts, as you say, makes them look cheap and like too many other watches out there.

I love my Colt II and vintage Datora, and still like the brand, but let's hope they reel in some of their current design philosophy and move it back to more classic stuff
MCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 01:34 PM   #7
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I agree with what's been said. I own two chronomats but have no interest in any of the new models. They went all in on the bling factor and lost a lot of the traditional cutomers
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 01:36 PM   #8
cruvon
"TRF" Member

I haven't really tried their moderns but vintage Breitlings are catching on me, have one and looking to add my second soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0051.jpg (84.6 KB, 638 views)

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2012, 01:37 PM   #9
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
i love breitling's, own two, but they made tons of watches in recent years and confused people with name changes and 15 different variations of the navitimer and chronomat/evo over the last few years...

The guys at www.breitlingsource.com are the last of the fanatical breitling guys.

Plus, if you don't control the distribution like omega and rolex does a buyer of a breitling takes a huge hit when he walks out if the ad. Just try and sell one pre-owned, little interest and rock bottom prices.....

+1

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 01:10 AM   #10
azguy
Banned

My two

Crosswind Racer, all brushed and an Evo with a beautiful blue dial

Crosswind.jpg

Breitlingside.JPG
Old 23 June 2012, 01:24 AM   #11
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I have one Breitling purchased 5 years ago. I sometimes think I made a mistake not getting the Rolex my wife wanted me to get! I love the watch and think it is a beauty but I am sure the resale will not be there if I want to ever sell it.

Old 23 June 2012, 06:15 AM   #12
JesusSandals

I gave my colt 2 to my dad but I still like that one, those bentleys are dire imo.
JesusSandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 09:11 AM   #13
tulgsT

The only two I really seem to like are the older style Breitling Cockpit and the new GMT 44.
tulgsT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 07:55 PM   #14
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

I have a couple - the Motors T and the Artist formerly known as B01 chronograph

I think that the whole Brand has an identity crisis, and really needs to invest in a decent marketing campaign...

I think that there is no ambassador - John Travolta I think is the Brand's most recognized ambassador - and the only one I see in the ads -

For me, he evokes thoughts of a religious cult, irresponsible parenting, child molestation, and a bad wig..

Other associations made with Brietling - Bently and airplanes - neither to which anyone can likely relate in a hard economy, and those who can, are most likely not looking Breitlings...

Especially in a hard economy, I think that the public looks for heroes - be they political, athletic, or fictional...the human spirit is what inspires...I would think that a smart strategy would be to put your wristwatch on that hero - and lets the public fill in the blanks...

Something Rolex has done for decades with brilliant success..
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 09:54 PM   #15
tulgsT

Agreed. The main difference in my mind between Rolex and Breitling is that Rolex styles can be traced back thru time. The Rolex on your wrist now is very similar (but with modern upgrades) to their forefathers dating back 50-60 years ago. On the other hand, Breitling changes its design and watch names quite often. Most of the watch designs today have little or no characteristics of their predecessors. No sense of timelessness.
tulgsT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Breitling still holds the market in the aviation world. I agree with everything that has been said above but if you go to any Navy or AF town you are going to see Breitling billboards and pilots wearing Breitlings. It probably has something to do with the watches being cheaper for sure, but as far as aviation instruments go Breitling is lightyears ahead of Rolex in what pilots are looking for if we are talking true tool watches.

As a luxury brand I absolutely agree that they are hurting compared to their competitors. However, the Navitimer and its variations are the watch most pilots I know aspire towards. Is this demogrpahic enough to keep them afloat? Absolutely not but anecdotally I have seen far more Navitimers on pilots than a GMT.

I never got into Breitling because of its branding or because of status. For me it was always something I wanted because my serious colleagues owned one and saw them as some of the best aviation watches on the market. They do need an image overhaul. Travolta sucks. He also wears a hairpiece. They should angle it back towards a military influenced marketing campaign. Even if you aren't active duty, people want to wear the watches of airmen and sailors. Hell, James Bond was the best thing to ever happen to Rolex.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2012, 05:23 AM   #17
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

I think that the brand is getting better and better. I've found myself liking it a lot in the last six months whereas I used to be ambivalent towards it. I especially like that the prices aren't ridiculously high and that Breitling aren't afraid to come up with new ideas for a range.
Old 25 June 2012, 08:48 AM   #18
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Breitling makes awesome watches. The only thing that sucks about them is their resale value.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2012, 01:40 AM   #19
azguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
Breitling makes awesome watches. The only thing that sucks about them is their resale value.
agree 100%.....
Old 26 June 2012, 02:26 AM   #20
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
Agree completely - Breitling is turning out some much nicer looking watches, but their pricing is ridiculous. Better to buy pre-owned or grey market.
GermanyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2012, 10:16 AM   #21
jsrco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhutton View Post
I love them - but it seems to me everyone only talks about Rolex, Omega's, and hell, even TAG i hear more then brietlings now...

The gent i work with has a significant collection and all he can talk about when it comes to brietlings is extra stock and the company (in his opinion) in a little bit of trouble.

Thoughts? Why doesn't this brand seem to have the hype of the others? is it maybe just because I'm in Canada?
When I think of bretlings, I think of brokers who have greasy heads with nothing between the ears....

Large watches are a cyclical fad...

Rolex is a classic watch ( with great marketing)... I think a Hamilton is a smarter buy... But we buy Rolexs cause they retain value and can be passed down generation to generation.....
jsrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2012, 10:27 AM   #22
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post

Rolex is a classic watch
You can't state that as a fact. Over the past 50 years, even Rolex's average diameter has grown probably 10-20%.

This is a pervasive "trend" among all luxury watch brands. Trends by definition are not fads.

If the trend were to continue in this direction, in another 50 years, a 40mm Sub would feel as "antiquated" in style as a 34mm watch feels today.
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2012, 10:49 AM   #23
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
I love my Breitlings, but they lost me about 10 years ago. Both of mine ceased production a long time ago, my Avistar in 1998 and my Ti Avenger Seawolf in 2003.

For me, I was drawn to Breitlings because of the aviation history, and in the 1990s, I used to commute from the US to Hong Kong and Singapore. I needed time zones AND dates.

Using the chrono on the Avistar, I could track two time zones and see the date. I couldn't do that with a Daytona. A GMT, would've been easier, but I like being able to also use the rotating bezel as a timer -- another strike against the GMT and Daytona.

I love my Ti Avenger Seawolf. In 2003, this watch was already certified to 10,000ft. Sea Dwellers of the same period didn't even come close in the depth rating.

Today, I'm back to Rolex. I have a larger wrist and am glad they updated their cases. Older Rolexs always looked small on my wrists.

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2012, 11:10 AM   #24
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
The only Breitling that sang to me and is still singing to this day is my Chrono Avenger Ti in Pro I bracelet. The other models did not appeal to me.

Old 26 June 2012, 11:16 AM   #25
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Watches retain value to a certain extent, and be passed down from generation to generation.

Even a Seiko can be passed down from one generation to another - all about sentimental value. It doesn't have to be a Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
When I think of bretlings, I think of brokers who have greasy heads with nothing between the ears....

Rolex is a classic watch ( with great marketing)... I think a Hamilton is a smarter buy... But we buy Rolexs cause they retain value and can be passed down generation to generation.....
Old 26 June 2012, 12:10 PM   #26
dieselgeek
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C Pepsi
Must be in Canada, I saw a huge surge of them in the 25-35 crowd where I live ( I'm in that crowd)
dieselgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2012, 01:13 PM   #27
GuyC

Watch: 14060M sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
I think that the brand is getting better and better. I've found myself liking it a lot in the last six months whereas I used to be ambivalent towards it. I especially like that the prices aren't ridiculously high and that Breitling aren't afraid to come up with new ideas for a range.
Agreed! I bought the transoceanic chronograph last year and love it. It is a stunning looking watch. Recently I bought the colt 44 super quartz as my beater and I absolutely love it. I love the new styling and direction Breitling is moving towards.

Everyone has rolex watches. People always compliment me on my breitlings.
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2012, 01:27 PM   #28
PerioBear
"TRF" Member

I love my one and only Breitling, The Flying Fish! It is my everyday watch. The five year warranty is a plus as well. Not worried about resale as I never plan to sell any of my watches.
PerioBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2012, 10:12 PM   #29
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
John Travolta I think is the Brand's most recognized ambassador - and the only one I see in the ads -

For me, he evokes thoughts of a religious cult, irresponsible parenting, child molestation, and a bad wig..
I didn't know he was a molester, thought he just hit on masseuses and waiters. Too bad.

I've had several Breitlings and concur with all of the comments about overpriced, must buy them used, new models are too big, blingy, etc.

Although I must say that I find new Rolexes to also be overpriced and you should buy them used as well - although the used prices do hold up much better than Breitling.
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2012, 08:16 AM   #30
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
I haven't really tried their moderns but vintage Breitlings are catching on me, have one and looking to add my second soon!
Excellent. Vintage Breitling are wonderful.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote