The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 April 2015, 11:54 PM   #1
deskdiver
"TRF" Member

Rolex movement rattle when shaken, why?

I noticed this rattle and clicking noise in my 3 month SubC. Went to the AD, played with another Sub and heard the same noise. Now I can only hear the rattle when holding the watches right next to my ear. The noise is most prevalent when the watch is in vertical position and shaken sideways with short rapid strokes.

So since this rattle is normal and ruling out bracelet pins (had mine completely removed) and worn/loose rotor axle (brand new ones in AD does the same), which part of the watch movement is making this noise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 April 2015, 12:11 AM   #2
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
The only time I have heard a rattle in a Rolex it need service. Don't think its normal
Old 4 April 2015, 12:20 AM   #3
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I don't think it is normal. I've never heard this noise on any sub I've ever had.
Old 4 April 2015, 12:21 AM   #4
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
As it is a sub...never heard a rattle from a sub unless it needed service.

Current Daytona uses bearings to mount their rotor so there is some noise or rattle you can hear but sub uses no bearings and should not rattle?

Only other thing that comes to mind is the the bracelet rattle but you've ruled that out.

???
Old 4 April 2015, 12:42 AM   #5
aaronk
"TRF" Member

It's likely just the rotor spinning as you're shaking it.
Old 4 April 2015, 12:50 AM   #6
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Isn't there a term called "end shake" regarding a bit of play in the rotor and it's axle jewels? Could be that and completely normal.
Old 4 April 2015, 12:53 AM   #7
treblarefils
"TRF" Member

Sometimes i can here the sound as if i were to wind the crown 1 click. Im sure that is normal because thats the sound of the wind. But i cannot feel the rotor move or anything just a barely audible click exactly the same noise as winding the crown manually 1 click.
Old 4 April 2015, 01:18 AM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskdiver View Post
I noticed this rattle and clicking noise in my 3 month SubC. Went to the AD, played with another Sub and heard the same noise. Now I can only hear the rattle when holding the watches right next to my ear. The noise is most prevalent when the watch is in vertical position and shaken sideways with short rapid strokes.

So since this rattle is normal and ruling out bracelet pins (had mine completely removed) and worn/loose rotor axle (brand new ones in AD does the same), which part of the watch movement is making this noise?

Its the winding pendulum swinging by gravity amplified by the case when close to your ear, simple answer stop putting it by your ear and shaking it problem solved.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 4 April 2015, 01:33 AM   #9
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
STOP shaking your watch, it's not good for any reason ever...
Old 7 April 2015, 12:01 AM   #10
deskdiver
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for responding. I just dropped off my watch with RSC NY to have something else corrected (a mark on the seconds hand) and was told the sound I'm hearing is from the rotor and it is normal.

Old 7 April 2015, 12:10 AM   #11
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its the winding pendulum swinging by gravity amplified by the case when close to your ear, simple answer stop putting it by your ear and shaking it problem solved.
+1
Old 15 December 2021, 03:24 AM   #12
Sub-Admiral
"TRF" Member

A quick update from my perspective. My 1978 1680 sub was fully serviced in last summer. Its my daily watch and I am vary careful not to wear it in the shower. Thus, a few days ago it fell from my wrist on the bathroom floor (which is of course very concrete and solid). Of course, feared the worse and thought it broke. Up to this point I had never really put the watch close to my ear and shaken it in order to listen to the winding rotor. Naturally, a ticking sound was there (in my panic that was the proof of damage). I also read on the web many things about the axle or the distance to which a rolex rotor should or shouldn't make a sound (i.e. arm's length). I finally took it yesterday to my RAD and they accepted to run a test. It took them 15 minutes to test the performance of the watch to say that it is flawless and that it does not need to be opened. They indicated that the sound I was getting when shaking the watch close to my ear is entirely normal. The sound is like a subtle knock not a sharp or edgy one (obviously like another member pointed out due to the gravity)They said that if a part of the rotor is broken it shows instantly on the timing testing specs. I insisted and I think they were offended by my disbelief. Back to normal... See you in 5 years they told me!
Old 15 December 2021, 03:30 AM   #13
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Great story, and serves to illustrate to all of us how Rolex's are tougher than we think!

Thanks for the update-
Old 15 December 2021, 03:46 AM   #14
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

You sure it's not the bracelet that's rattling?
Old 15 December 2021, 04:04 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Thanks Peter, very informative
Old 15 December 2021, 04:15 AM   #16
Sub-Admiral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klenboy View Post
You sure it's not the bracelet that's rattling?
Initially that was my idea. But in order to eliminate it I took it off and wore it on my four fingers, like an iron fist, and then shake it. Then i got the rotor sound but only very close to the ear, when holding it at normal arm's length nothing.
Old 15 December 2021, 04:17 AM   #17
Sub-Admiral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thanks Peter, very informative
Another thing that intrigued me was the persistence of the RAD not to open the case and rely solely on the testing of time keeping and other indicators. Obviously they must have a policy not to open unless timing is faulty or evidently for authenticating or servicing purposes.
Old 15 December 2021, 04:18 AM   #18
Nunez. Jacob
"TRF" Member

I heard that the new movement is louder than the old 5 digit and pre 2020
Old 15 December 2021, 04:20 AM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Admiral View Post
Another thing that intrigued me was the persistence of the RAD not to open the case and rely solely on the testing of time keeping and other indicators. Obviously they must have a policy not to open unless timing is faulty or evidently for authenticating or servicing purposes.
An AD isn't likely to want to open the watch unless they have a Rolex trained watch tech. That'd be a job for RSC IMO

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 15 December 2021, 04:24 AM   #20
Sub-Admiral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunez. Jacob View Post
I heard that the new movement is louder than the old 5 digit and pre 2020
Do you mean the 16610 or the 14060, I never owned one but friends who owned them told me they are very very silent. About the newer ones I would not known. I also own a steinhart ocean gmt root beer (brand new) Compared to the Sub it is like the moon and the sun. The steinhart when shaken is audible from the other side of a room (say a 3x3 room). Close to the ear, the steinhart geives the impression of something loose inside. Rolexes are very tight
Old 15 December 2021, 04:27 AM   #21
Sub-Admiral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
An AD isn't likely to want to open the watch unless they have a Rolex trained watch tech. That'd be a job for RSC IMO

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Actually, this is my fault I did not specify. My AD provided the service and I took it to the same technician who serviced it so he knew the watch. But of course your are right, I imagine an official RSC would open it more easily.
Old 15 December 2021, 04:31 AM   #22
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Autowind Pendulum impacting caseback and scraping on said case back. Usually this comes hand in hand with the watch stopping due to low power reserve and other erratic behavior.

Rolex pendulums run on ball bearings (or they did) and these bearings either wear away the race they run in or the race becomes damaged due to watch falls, causing the pendulum to acquire lateral/horizontal movement and this causes said rattling and scraping.

It’s happened to me twice. 1 x Daytona zenith and 1 x 16610 sub. The only remedy is a new pendulum, since the bearings are not serviceable. Both times mine were replaced free in the RSC service.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
Old 15 December 2021, 04:33 AM   #23
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

The rotors on the new 32xx movements are a lot noisier than the later calibers. I don’t own the new 12 series sub but I have played with them and can hear the difference compared to my 114060. The noise you hear is totally normal for this reference
Old 15 December 2021, 04:36 AM   #24
Sub-Admiral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
Autowind Pendulum impacting caseback and scraping on said case back. Usually this comes hand in hand with the watch stopping due to low power reserve and other erratic behavior.

Rolex pendulums run on ball bearings (or they did) and these bearings either wear away the race they run in or the race becomes damaged due to watch falls, causing the pendulum to acquire lateral/horizontal movement and this causes said rattling and scraping.

It’s happened to me twice. 1 x Daytona zenith and 1 x 16610 sub. The only remedy is a new pendulum, since the bearings are not serviceable. Both times mine were replaced free in the RSC service.
Thank you so much for clarifying this. Therefore, I have the option of either having the watch checked in the official RSC or wait till the next service (in 4,5 years). I reckon at some point I will take it much much earlier to the RSC just to be sure
Old 15 December 2021, 05:15 AM   #25
SaintMickey
Banned

Never felt or heard this from any "modern" Rolex movements. Maybe older bracelets LOL.

I use to tell myself that the "Valjoux wobble" was neat/cool/unique...now I just call it unacceptable. But that's just me.
Old 15 December 2021, 05:57 AM   #26
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGoodnight369 View Post
The rotors on the new 32xx movements are a lot noisier than the later calibers. I don’t own the new 12 series sub but I have played with them and can hear the difference compared to my 114060. The noise you hear is totally normal for this reference
Except he started his thread in 2015 when the sub still has a 3130/3135. Rattling noise from that ain't good.
Old 15 December 2021, 06:09 AM   #27
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

I have never put any of my watches up to my ear, so maybe they all sound that way... who knows...
Old 15 December 2021, 07:49 AM   #28
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Admiral View Post
Thank you so much for clarifying this. Therefore, I have the option of either having the watch checked in the official RSC or wait till the next service (in 4,5 years). I reckon at some point I will take it much much earlier to the RSC just to be sure
You’d have to consider the economics of both options. A check of the watch (which will reveal the perished pendulum bearings) could turn out more expensive, because they may charge for the part and fitting (they’re not cheap these pendulums, since I believe they’re assembled with a mixture of heat and cold to create a friction union). Whereas, a service will automatically include the replacement of this part and whatever else needs replacement. Only you know which is preferable, but if it were my watch I would send it for a service and bite the bullet.

A couple of unsavory things can happen if you leave this unattended. 1. The watch won’t autowind correctly, which will mean that it could stop from time to time, forcing manual winds. 2. There have been cases when the bearings are really shot and the wearer is very active that small fragments, shavings (from either caseback, pendulum or both) or even pieces of a perished bearing or bearing carrier/race can get into the movement causing even more damage. I’ve seen case backs pretty gouged with circular swirls caused by a loose pendulum, especially if the wearer was very active.

Pendulums are NOT serviceable. The probability that the central retainer comes lose is next to nill. 9.9 times out of 10 the watch has fallen onto a hard surface and GeForce has forced the bearing into the carrier or even irreparably damaged one or more bearings. As soon as there’s any play in this central axis the tight tolerance between caseback and pendulum cause them to make contact. Since the pendulum is mobile while the caseback is stationary, you get an abrasion effect of metal to metal, as such the clacking sound and weird scrapping noise.

PS - I didn’t see that this was a 6 year old thread when replying, however, I hope my answer was nonetheless helpful
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
Old 15 December 2021, 01:43 PM   #29
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I like hearing the rotor .
Old 15 December 2021, 03:42 PM   #30
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by deskdiver View Post
I noticed this rattle and clicking noise in my 3 month SubC.
Be thankful that you still have such acute hearing.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Closed Thread