The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 May 2024, 11:29 PM   #2581
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Question for the car aficionados here:

Anyone have experience with the McLaren/Merc SLR? Thinking of buying one as I think their under appreciated, but also its fun as shit to drive for a car of its vintage. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7fz-ZPWM24

Also, have an outgoing and incoming later in the week/next week once the ppf and other stuff gets completed.

Toyed with the idea of adding one as it was the least appreciated of the trinity of its era. Seemed a good “value” - at least relatively speaking. Unfortunately the styling and overall driving characteristics (automatic transmission) were too great a sacrifice to justify consolidating my cars to add this one.

Someone I know has one in addition to the Enzo and CGT. I think at that stage it makes sense…
BraveBold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 12:09 AM   #2582
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Car Love Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
If you are going McLaren, go 675LT, no better car under $250k. Great car on and off the track as close as you can get to a P1 and long term should be a good investment.

Echo this. 675LT is the best car I have ever driven.
Old 15 May 2024, 08:11 AM   #2583
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
If you are going McLaren, go 675LT, no better car under $250k. Great car on and off the track as close as you can get to a P1 and long term should be a good investment.
The SLR is more of an investment car. Not your typical McLaren.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 08:12 AM   #2584
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
Toyed with the idea of adding one as it was the least appreciated of the trinity of its era. Seemed a good “value” - at least relatively speaking. Unfortunately the styling and overall driving characteristics (automatic transmission) were too great a sacrifice to justify consolidating my cars to add this one.

Someone I know has one in addition to the Enzo and CGT. I think at that stage it makes sense…
That is kind of my thought process. Transmission is the weak spot for sure, front mid is fine as I am used to it. Right now they are trading around 300, which is a lot of car for the price.
Old 15 May 2024, 08:16 AM   #2585
Schmed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Question for the car aficionados here:

Anyone have experience with the McLaren/Merc SLR? Thinking of buying one as I think their under appreciated, but also its fun as shit to drive for a car of its vintage. Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7fz-ZPWM24

Also, have an outgoing and incoming later in the week/next week once the ppf and other stuff gets completed.

My buddy had a 722S. Incredible car. Fastest car I've been in (until I drove a Tesla).
Schmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 08:30 AM   #2586
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
My buddy had a 722S. Incredible car. Fastest car I've been in (until I drove a Tesla).
Thanks for the info. Driving it later this week. We shall see.
Old 15 May 2024, 11:22 AM   #2587
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The SLR is more of an investment car. Not your typical McLaren.
Maybe for the 722s, otherwise they only made 500 each spyder/coup for the 675lt and I think ~2200 SLR Mclaren. I would suspect the 675lt does better than the regular SLR. Also, the 675lt was only a 2yr run compared to a 8 year run for the SLR. Just my .02
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 08:34 PM   #2588
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Maybe for the 722s, otherwise they only made 500 each spyder/coup for the 675lt and I think ~2200 SLR Mclaren. I would suspect the 675lt does better than the regular SLR. Also, the 675lt was only a 2yr run compared to a 8 year run for the SLR. Just my .02
Great points Brian....spoken like a true investment banker!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 09:39 PM   #2589
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3tek44 View Post
Since i was a child, I have been wanting 911 Turbo S and, after a few decades, I have fulfilled my dream this weekend. Yes, I'm camera shy.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Such a beauty! Big congratulations! Love it!!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2024, 10:11 PM   #2590
rmlovett1

Some may call it crazy….
Those who know mid-engine Ferrari may still may call it crazy, or understand for sure.. (given the circumstances/collection)

Went to the F1 Grand Prix in Miami a couple weeks ago, as I sat and watched, loving that beautiful sound coming from the cars, I realized how much I miss having that true F1/ferrari sound. I didn’t have that in my garage at that time. I do now.

After adding the Roma a few months ago, using it for all activities…date nights, cars & coffee, weekday driving, etc…. It’s a great do it all front engined GT Ferrari. Absolutely brilliant car.
However…I’ve always had something for truly spirited mountain drives in Atlanta/N GA area, something that I could actually use the power and enjoy on twisty or normal roads, something I’m not going to track, with great driver engagement and feedback….and proper (IMO) sound!

The F8 is good for most of that, it’s a stellar and gorgeous F car.
But given the fact the Roma is louder than the F8, and the F8 is hard to enjoy the power (I’m not taking it to the track), it’s scary fast IMO, too much for my skills to enjoy especially on public roads, … I made a change.
This led me back to a 458, (I posted at one point that I would get this car back), and ATL Ferrari happened to take one in that was perfect for me. The 458 is a car I’ve owned before and just followed the natural progression to a 488 then F8. Had the F8 almost 3yrs, enjoyed it (not as much as I should’ve), but adding the Roma really pushed me back into the 458 for all the reasons I’m sure many may be aware of…N/A, 9k rpm, screaming good sound, last Pininfarina design, etc..

Ended up finding a perfect spec (for me), the year I wanted, perfect miles (for my wants), perfect story/maintenance record, replacement for my F8.

Enough blah, blah, blah

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 20 May 2024, 10:18 PM   #2591
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Gorgeous car and not crazy at all. I’m a lifelong enthusiast and very particular about my choice of car. I am considering a 458 and prefer it over almost all current (and more recent) offerings.

Beautiful car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
Some may call it crazy….
Those who know mid-engine Ferrari may still may call it crazy, or understand for sure.. (given the circumstances/collection)

Went to the F1 Grand Prix in Miami a couple weeks ago, as I sat and watched, loving that beautiful sound coming from the cars, I realized how much I miss having that true F1/ferrari sound. I didn’t have that in my garage at that time. I do now.

After adding the Roma a few months ago, using it for all activities…date nights, cars & coffee, weekday driving, etc…. It’s a great do it all front engined GT Ferrari. Absolutely brilliant car.
However…I’ve always had something for truly spirited mountain drives in Atlanta/N GA area, something that I could actually use the power and enjoy on twisty or normal roads, something I’m not going to track, with great driver engagement and feedback….and proper (IMO) sound!

But given the fact the Roma is louder than the F8, and the F8 is hard to enjoy the power (I’m not taking it to the track), it’s scary fast IMO, too much for my skills to enjoy especially on public roads, … I made a change.
This led me back to a 458, (I posted at one point that I would get this car back), and ATL Ferrari happened to take one in that was perfect for me. The 458 is a car I’ve owned before and just followed the natural progression to a 488 then F8. Had the F8 almost 3yrs, enjoyed it (not as much as I should’ve), but adding the Roma really pushed me back into the 458 for all the reasons I’m sure many may be aware of…N/A, 9k rpm, screaming good sound, last Pininfarina design, etc..

Ended up finding a perfect spec (for me), the year I wanted, perfect miles (for my wants), perfect story/maintenance record, replacement for my F8.

Enough blah, blah, blah

Old 20 May 2024, 11:05 PM   #2592
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Love that interior spec.
Was on the road with a white 458 spider yesterday and damn does the 458 look amazing in motion
Old 20 May 2024, 11:58 PM   #2593
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
Gorgeous car and not crazy at all. I’m a lifelong enthusiast and very particular about my choice of car. I am considering a 458 and prefer it over almost all current (and more recent) offerings.

Beautiful car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
Congrats! Love that interior spec.
Was on the road with a white 458 spider yesterday and damn does the 458 look amazing in motion
Thank you both very much!
Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM   #2594
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Some may call it crazy….

Enough blah, blah, blah

Totally makes sense! Awesome car! Congrats

Side note and I guess a question really.

The F8 and Roma have the same base engine being the F154, except the F8 is a more aggressive variant of that engine being bored out a bit, and ultimately more power. It’s really curious that it sounds less aggressive and raw than the Roma which is a bit more of GT car. I’m just curious why that may be. It’s just seems kinda strange or contradictory to expectations.

To be clear that isn’t a knock on anything at all, just sort of noting it’s a bit odd.
Amazing cars all of them (F8,Roma,458)
Old Yesterday, 02:46 AM   #2595
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Daytona View Post

The F8 and Roma have the same base engine being the F154, except the F8 is a more aggressive variant of that engine being bored out a bit, and ultimately more power. It’s really curious that it sounds less aggressive and raw than the Roma which is a bit more of GT car. I’m just curious why that may be. It’s just seems kinda strange or contradictory to expectations.

To be clear that isn’t a knock on anything at all, just sort of noting it’s a bit odd.

Yes, odd as it may seem….definitely a better sound out of the Roma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM   #2596
Jackie Daytona

Quote:
Yes, odd as it may seem….definitely a better sound out of the Roma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Interesting. Just found it curious. Well congrats again! Awesome cars!
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #2597
Ftech1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622, 126710
Quote:

F8 has GPF filters, catalytic converters, turbos and a muffler. Lots of things to kill exhaust noise. F8 is the same engine as a Pista, but Pista does not have a Gas Particulate Filter so the sound is better on Pista.

Roma has turbos, Cats, and GPF (both cats and GPF are together in a smaller combined package). No mufflers, only a valve on each side for back pressure and sound control.

Also it seems to make a difference when the GPF’s are upstream on the exhaust as opposed to downstream. Example: 812 GTS and Roma are upstream. F8, SF90 are downstream and don’t sound as great

Hope this helps as to why they sound different.
Ftech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #2598
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Great looking car.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:22 AM   #2599
Jackie Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftech1 View Post
F8 has GPF filters, catalytic converters, turbos and a muffler. Lots of things to kill exhaust noise. F8 is the same engine as a Pista, but Pista does not have a Gas Particulate Filter so the sound is better on Pista.

Roma has turbos, Cats, and GPF (both cats and GPF are together in a smaller combined package). No mufflers, only a valve on each side for back pressure and sound control.

Also it seems to make a difference when the GPF’s are upstream on the exhaust as opposed to downstream. Example: 812 GTS and Roma are upstream. F8, SF90 are downstream and don’t sound as great

Awesome answer man! Love the tech info side of it all. I knew there had to be significantly more to it.

Ferrari doesn’t seem to mess up exhaust notes much so it just seemed a curiosity out of the line just based on what’s on paper. It totally makes sense on that end. Thanks for appeasing my mechanical sort of intrigue. Really curious from an engineering standpoint why Ferrari made that call to suppress the F8 and SF90 a bit further. Just for passenger comfort potentially with the mid engine layout?
Old Today, 04:18 AM   #2600
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Richard:

1) You have impeccable taste in cars and watches.

2) You trade in and out of cars and watches with incredible speed and frequency.

Old Today, 04:35 AM   #2601
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Richard, if you ever decide to trade out of that 458… keep me in mind ;-) I may still be looking lol
Old Today, 07:41 AM   #2602
SMD
"TRF" Member

Out with the old (RS6 Avant) and in with the new (Cayenne Turbo GT). This is my family/bad weather car. Portofino M is my nice weather car. It's a dark blue, ti Akropovic exhaust. Still not sure what I think of it yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS6.jpg (163.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7759.jpg (187.1 KB, 0 views)
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #2603
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftech1 View Post

Correct. Same as Portofino M, added GPF and removed silencers, which allowed them to redesign the back end. Sounds pretty good all things considered, although obviously not as good as the v12s.
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #2604
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Richard:

1) You have impeccable taste in cars and watches.

2) You trade in and out of cars and watches with incredible speed and frequency.

I appreciate it.
I will go on my streaks and runs for sure… Lol!
Old Today, 11:26 AM   #2605
rmlovett1

Quote:
Out with the old (RS6 Avant) and in with the new (Cayenne Turbo GT). This is my family/bad weather car. Portofino M is my nice weather car. It's a dark blue, ti Akropovic exhaust. Still not sure what I think of it yet.
That turbo GT is a hell of a vehicle! Congrats
Old Today, 11:30 AM   #2606
Ftech1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622, 126710
Quote:
Awesome answer man! Love the tech info side of it all. I knew there had to be significantly more to it.

Ferrari doesn’t seem to mess up exhaust notes much so it just seemed a curiosity out of the line just based on what’s on paper. It totally makes sense on that end. Thanks for appeasing my mechanical sort of intrigue. Really curious from an engineering standpoint why Ferrari made that call to suppress the F8 and SF90 a bit further. Just for passenger comfort potentially with the mid engine layout?
F8 and SF90 were a packaging issue. No where else to put them. Next time you see one of these models in person, look into the tailpipe, and you will see the metal honeycomb of the GPF.
Ftech1 is offline   Reply With Quote