The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2024, 10:34 PM   #1
d7s
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116519LN
Daytona RG for

Hey all, I haven’t posted here in a while and no better excuse to return than with a watch trade dilemma.

I have the opportunity to trade my 2021 Rose Gold Daytona black dial on oysterflex for a 2022 Royal Oak 15500 rhodium dial not unworn but mint conditions .

Trad would also require me to add 2500€ on top which is doable.

I love my Daytona but the lack of date complication always bothered me which is why most of the time I wear my Pepsi instead, I’ve always been extremely fascinated with APs but have always been very scared as they are apparently very fragile.

I love the fact that is a watch that has a way more limited production compared to Rolex and I love that a good chunk of the ap making process is done by hand and the movement on the back is just mesmerising to me.

Daytona on the other hand is Daytona, I love the gold and i love the dial, but never used the chronograph ever (probably like most people here)

I’m interested to hear your thoughts, I’m open to take every aspects in consideration like gold vs steel, market value and all that.
Thank you guys
d7s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 01:50 AM   #2
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Nicknames �
Not for me I’m afraid … Daytona is a favourite of mine, not necessarily in Rose but still is a lovely Daytona, date function or Chrono no biggie for me .. Royal Oak is nice but that dial is quite boring compared to blue .. I wouldn’t personally do that swap .. and add cash … nope ..

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 01:54 AM   #3
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I am with Bazil.
No way I would even consider this
Old 5 May 2024, 02:03 AM   #4
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
No chance

Also this seems Miles wrong £££ wise.

Edit again… have you tried it on? I nearly bought sight unseen and a dealer friend of mine had all thee colours in the store and I was hugely underwhelmed by all of them. Very boring. Opinions differ of course.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 02:16 AM   #5
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Daytona RG for

Do you have much experience with a 41mm RO on your wrist? They wear large, even larger than a typical 41.

I had a 41 RO but moved on from it due to its size. 6.75 inch wrist here. My Daytona’s fit me perfect, like they were custom made.

If the RO fit me better, I would prefer it over a Daytona on OF, most likely. Depending on dials.

Also, I would not call the AP fragile. Definitely not as robust as a Rolex, but not fragile for daily wear.

All that said, I would not dismiss this trade outright but would only move forward if you were confident you liked the RO on your wrist.

The money side seems off. ROs have really softened in the market. I would have thought an even trade or money back to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 03:49 AM   #6
d7s
"TRF" Member

I have an 18cm-ish wrist and even tho I generally prefer smaller watches on my wrist, I have to admit the 15500 didn’t look overly big on me, will post a photo as soon as I get to the computer later.

AP in Italy are still fairly more expensive than other place for some reason , not sure why as we Italians loooooove our Rolex. gold Daytonas have softened quite a bit even though the oysterflex are holding a little better , but out of 3-4 dealers that I found the trade is always Daytona + some € the only moneyless trade I found was 15300 white for The Daytona , I have to admit I like the 15300 more than 15500 but no way I’m trading a gold 2021 Daytona for a steel 2009 ap with no cash back to me.

Anyway thanks for the feedback guys, will post some pictures for reference in a bit
Old 5 May 2024, 04:45 AM   #7
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Daytona RG for

Ok, so your wrist sounds a tad larger than mine. So that size RO could work for you.

It’s still a very large dial with a lot of open space (especially on the 15500 compared to my 15400) and I couldn’t past the “dinner plate” look it gave me.

I’m really emphasizing to make sure you are 100% sure of it on your wrist and not just the pics of the watch which can be deceiving…and intoxicating.

Good luck

Old 5 May 2024, 05:10 AM   #8
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Both watches are fine watches, but I probably would keep the Daytona. As much as I think the RO is beautiful, the Daytona is far more usable and reliable for me.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 06:32 AM   #9
Ryanonarcher
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t do it. Not enough versatility with the RO, imo. The rg of Daytona suits a lot of different situations and flys much more under the radar than the bling-bracelet of the ro. Just depends on your lifestyle, I suppose.
Ryanonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 06:49 AM   #10
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Unless you've tried on the RO and know that you love it, I personally would not make the trade.
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 10:49 AM   #11
d7s
"TRF" Member

Here's how the 15500 looks on my wrist vs my Daytona

It's big but I've seen some wrist shots in here where it looks humongous on some people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6272.jpg (232.8 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5176.jpg (90.1 KB, 601 views)
Old 5 May 2024, 10:53 AM   #12
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Ok ok

I think the RO works on you

I am cool with this trade in your case but I would grind down on the money side. I think you may be be able
to do a bit better. Not sure though, I’m not in that market.

Old 5 May 2024, 10:57 AM   #13
d7s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Ok ok

I think the RO works on you

I am cool with this trade in your case but I would grind down on the money side. I think you may be be able
to do a bit better. Not sure though, I’m not in that market.

I m a horrible bargainer but I could try, though looking at the pictures side by side now, that Daytona is gorgeous, maybe I should trade that for a full RG with the same dial instead (old 116 reference)
decisions decisions
Old 5 May 2024, 11:02 AM   #14
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Full disclosure- I am a senior citizen and own many Daytona’s and various AP’s….
Answer to your inquiry -
ABSOLUTELY NO!!!
JUST DON’T DO IT……
You will have pain of regret…Unless you can swing owning both - Do not trade!
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2024, 11:05 AM   #15
d7s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-NJDEVILS View Post
Full disclosure- I am a senior citizen and own many Daytona’s and various AP’s….
Answer to your inquiry -
ABSOLUTELY NO!!!
JUST DON’T DO IT……
You will have pain of regret…Unless you can swing owning both - Do not trade!
Not entirely sure why but I have the feeling that I should really listen to you (and im not even joking)
Old 5 May 2024, 11:10 AM   #16
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7s View Post
I m a horrible bargainer but I could try, though looking at the pictures side by side now, that Daytona is gorgeous, maybe I should trade that for a full RG with the same dial instead (old 116 reference)
decisions decisions

I actually like that idea best.

My full YG on bracelet is my favorite watch.

Old 5 May 2024, 11:16 AM   #17
d7s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
I actually like that idea best.

My full YG on bracelet is my favorite watch.

had that same one, sold it the day after 2 people tried to break into my house, with me in front of them shouting and cussing at them, was no fun.I loved it but that thing was a trouble magnet, hence why I went with oysterflex. I had full RG as well before the Paul Newman and that one somehow flew way more under the radar despite being full gold.

AP I was considering for pretty much the same reason, even though the bracelet is the blingy-est thing ever, not many people really know what it is and how much is worth

But yes full rose gold black dial might probably be the way to go.
Old 5 May 2024, 11:19 PM   #18
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would go for the RO, it has the date, has a higher element of finishing and surfaces and is not particularly fragile, esp in SS, not many polished surfaces either.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2024, 01:37 AM   #19
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

I was thinking the same thing about trading for a RO with my chocolate dial OF Daytona, but at the end of the day, i wasnt impressed after trying it on and still love the daytona.
rolexnyc718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2024, 01:51 AM   #20
d7s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexnyc718 View Post
I was thinking the same thing about trading for a RO with my chocolate dial OF Daytona, but at the end of the day, i wasnt impressed after trying it on and still love the daytona.
was the RO with same dial as the one I was looking at?
I have to admit, the dial of the RO especially the grey one to me is stunning, but even more so, the movement, I would just sit there looking at it for hours.

What worries me the most is the actual value you get out of the watch, I get the craftsmanship, the finishing history and all that, but 35k for a steel watch sits a little funny with me.

While with a gold Daytona those 35k make a little more sense imo
Old 6 May 2024, 02:38 PM   #21
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

I tried on the black dial RO, like you I was looking at the grey dial but wanted to see how the RO fit. It just didnt work for me, so I didnt go through with it. Your OF daytona was the one I was suppose to get but AD offered me the choco dial and i took it because i wasnt sure when he would get the next one, and didnt want to suck up another potential price increase. It was the right move as your black dial and my choco were both discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d7s View Post
was the RO with same dial as the one I was looking at?
I have to admit, the dial of the RO especially the grey one to me is stunning, but even more so, the movement, I would just sit there looking at it for hours.

What worries me the most is the actual value you get out of the watch, I get the craftsmanship, the finishing history and all that, but 35k for a steel watch sits a little funny with me.

While with a gold Daytona those 35k make a little more sense imo
rolexnyc718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2024, 07:28 PM   #22
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I would go for the RO, it has the date, has a higher element of finishing and surfaces and is not particularly fragile, esp in SS, not many polished surfaces either.
x2. ROs aren't as rugged as Rolex but they hold up well to daily wear. The finishing is next level and it gives you a chance to branch out to try another great brand.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2024, 10:43 PM   #23
d7s
"TRF" Member

what if I throw this in the discussion ?

Daytona for the 38mm RO chrono + the usual couple K €

this kinda has the best of both worlds, only downside, no caseback display
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 14.42.07.png (151.2 KB, 342 views)
Old 7 May 2024, 12:22 AM   #24
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The AP looks great on you. Of course the Daytona does too, so, for me, it would depend on what else was in the collection, but if you've got the bases covered you need, then, why not.

As far as the price, have you tried giving him a counter offer? Doesn't hurt to ask.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 01:09 AM   #25
d7s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
The AP looks great on you. Of course the Daytona does too, so, for me, it would depend on what else was in the collection, but if you've got the bases covered you need, then, why not.

As far as the price, have you tried giving him a counter offer? Doesn't hurt to ask.
Thanks! I have this RG Daytona and a Pepsi which is my Daily, so I'm mostly looking for that very special watch , which is I guess the reason why I'm a little on the fence with giving up a gold piece.
Old 7 May 2024, 01:16 AM   #26
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Btwn the two, i’d rather have the RO (since i am not a fan of yg or that dial). Butt the cash on top that you need to pay is not necessary imo. If anything, your piece is worth more in the grey market.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2024, 01:22 AM   #27
watchaser
2024 Pledge Member

Both beautiful pieces. IMO i wouldn't do the trade.

The 15500st I'm seeing trading around 32K USD +/- in the dealer forums. I honestly think it'll go down lower as the 15510ST are starting to drop as well.
watchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 11:51 PM   #28
d7s
"TRF" Member

Hey all, here is a little update on this.

The opportunity presented itself, and I ended up trading the Daytona for the RO 38mm Chrono

Now, some would argue that it is a little small on my wrist, and I may agree with that. However, I've never been a fan of big watches. For example, sometimes I look at my Pepsi GMT, and although it fits me perfectly, I don't love how big it can look.

That being said, it's closer to the "real" size of the RO as Genta intended if we want to be picky (besides the fact that this is a chronograph), and for some reason, even tho I like it, and it fits me quite well, the 41mm AP always look too bulky to me and always give me "fake watch" vibe if that makes sense.
All that aside, it straight up looks GORGEOUS!

I've always thought the grey dial would have looked boring, giving the watch a monotone look, but NOPE. It has so much depth to it; it's incredible. And it's funny to say, but sometimes, when you look at it from the right angle, it gives the impression that you are wearing a skeletonised watch.

Anyway enough talking, here's some wrist shots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6390.JPG (224.2 KB, 737 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6389.JPG (290.7 KB, 732 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6388.JPG (188.5 KB, 728 views)
Old 16 May 2024, 12:29 AM   #29
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Looks awesome on you! Shame they didn't put a display caseback on it, but still a nice piece. Congratulations.

How many mm thick is it?
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2024, 12:32 AM   #30
d7s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Looks awesome on you! Shame they didn't put a display caseback on it, but still a nice piece. Congratulations.

How many mm thick is it?
yeah display caseback would make this the ultimate piece for sure and it was actually one of the 3 things holding me back from buying it , the other being no in house movement, and no hacking seconds.

the watch is 11mm thick so incredibly slim actually, I think Daytona is 12mm