The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 April 2024, 02:25 AM   #121
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
There are a lot of guys on this forum that have been through a lot, have overcome huge obstacles, and then have gone on to achieve significant success.

If you use words like “traumatized” to describe taking your watch to an RSC, then you’re just begging to be ridiculed.

Getting into a motorcycle accident and losing your leg is traumatizing.

Finding out you have stage 4 pancreatic cancer is traumatizing.

Taking your watch to an RSC is a minor inconvenience by comparison (as Padi pointed out above).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 03:12 AM   #122
Scholar
"TRF" Member

I admit I'm a bit surprised that Padi has kept coming down on the "movement issues are no big deal, people are too obsessed with tracking" side, when I think the bigger critique of the 32-series movement isn't accuracy qua accuracy; it is the fact that the movement goes off a reliability cliff at a relatively early point which was not the case with earlier Rolex calibres.

And more importantly because Padi is pretty much a goldmine of knowledge on watch accuracy, chronometer standards, and history. I fondly remember his posts explaining how the Swiss shut down their far tougher original Observatory standard for chronometers in favour of COSC, because off-the-shelf Grand Seikos were winning the competition ahead of purpose-built competition designs from Switzerland.

So if anything I would have thought he'd come down on the "reliability is king" side over the modern Rolex bling guy side lol.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 03:37 AM   #123
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I've been seeing these posts so I went out and purchased a timegrapher. All of the 32xx movements I have in my collection are +/- 0 seconds. I have five watches with a variation on this movement bought over the past seven or so years. My only Rolex without a 32xx movement is a 216570 from 2013 that I recently had serviced after 10 years of use and it's also keeping perfect time.

I am sure there are issues with movements. There always have been and will continue to be. The problem is people are blowing these issues out of proportion or making it seems it is commonplace given the exposure the internet provides. All my watches run perfectly, it doesn't mean that there aren't defective movements. On a long enough timeline, all movements become defective. I just don't see this being the norm.

In my anecdotal experience, my Omega watches with co-axial movements keep far superior time over a long period of time and that includes my handwound Speedmaster Moonwatch.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 05:08 AM   #124
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Another 32 thread full of drama and conspiracies,….shocking. A topic that never can be proven or denied with data the customer will never be disclosed. Not sure going down this rabbit hole again will yield anything more that insults and accusations?

I do wish the OP the best as getting it serviced under warranty is not the end of the world and is only mildly inconvenient.
Are you saying that confirmation from an RSC watchmaker is a conspiracy? Bas has stated there has been a consistent low amplitude issue which can affect 32xx movements and for which there had been no identified "fix"

That's a bit disrespectful.

Do you also believe the Earth is flat?

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 05:11 AM   #125
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I've been seeing these posts so I went out and purchased a timegrapher. All of the 32xx movements I have in my collection are +/- 0 seconds. I have five watches with a variation on this movement bought over the past seven or so years. My only Rolex without a 32xx movement is a 216570 from 2013 that I recently had serviced after 10 years of use and it's also keeping perfect time.

I am sure there are issues with movements. There always have been and will continue to be. The problem is people are blowing these issues out of proportion or making it seems it is commonplace given the exposure the internet provides. All my watches run perfectly, it doesn't mean that there aren't defective movements. On a long enough timeline, all movements become defective. I just don't see this being the norm.

In my anecdotal experience, my Omega watches with co-axial movements keep far superior time over a long period of time and that includes my handwound Speedmaster Moonwatch.
Ironically the co-axial movements had known issues early on but the problems were much more transparent. Not necessarily Omega being forthcoming, but the community at large. There were people defending Omega to the death and denying issues just like people here are doing with Rolex of course, but there were a lot more members that acknowledged there were real issues with that movement along with watchmakers.

And Omega indirectly provided some transparency because they kept coming out with slight modifications of the movement - 2500A,B,C,D, and by D the architecture was significantly changed and more akin to the 8500, by which time all the issues seemed to have been worked out.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 05:24 AM   #126
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Are you saying that confirmation from an RSC watchmaker is a conspiracy? Bas has stated there has been a consistent low amplitude issue which can affect 32xx movements and for which there had been no identified "fix"

People on WUS claimed a highly respected watchmaker who works on all manner of difficult watches (complete with fabricating parts) was jealous because he analyzed the 32 series and suggested what might be the sources of the issue.

There's also a guy who owns one Rolex (a current gen Sub) who attacks anyone, including watchmakers, who questions the 32 movement as Rolex haters/enviers even if those people own many more Rolex models than he does, lol.
Old 30 April 2024, 07:09 AM   #127
BMWMotoRider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Agreed we do wish things always worked as they should. Sometimes they don't, and thankfully this situation is being addressed.
How is the situation being addressed? There has been no explanation from Rolex and there have been 32xx owners that have sent the same watch back multiple times for repeated slowdowns.

Maybe I’ve missed reading about long term fix.

Thanks for any additional info.
BMWMotoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 07:46 AM   #128
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe you did, maybe you didn't. We may never know. It's a mystery. The truth is out there.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 08:39 AM   #129
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMotoRider View Post
How is the situation being addressed? There has been no explanation from Rolex and there have been 32xx owners that have sent the same watch back multiple times for repeated slowdowns.

Maybe I’ve missed reading about long term fix.

Thanks for any additional info.
TRF seems to be the only place it’s being addressed
Old 30 April 2024, 08:49 AM   #130
bin31z
"TRF" Member

I have two 32xx movements and they both drop in amplitude alot when 12 o clock up vs dial up. Amplitude goes from like 280-290 to 240-250 and timekeeping loses 5-6 seconds. That seems a little excessive as this is fully wound so it will only get worse when it winds down. For comparison, my date day 18238 amplitude loses 30 degrees and loses 3 seconds.
bin31z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 10:18 AM   #131
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
If folks are having problems with their 32XX movement Rolex I don't see why they can't talk about it. Rolex makes lofty claims about accuracy, makes you wait months to years for a watch because of the extreme care in manufacturing and then you pay big bucks for it. If as some are saying there is a loss of 30 or so seconds a day, I think any mechanical watch can match that. All the same, peace to all. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:24 PM   #132
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
PADI, while i do agree with you, for them it's not just a part of life, it is their life and any 'hiccups' could very well lead to traumatizing and deep emotional distress. It triggers them, and we should recognize they may not have been equipped with life tools to handle the emotional stress, let alone the ability to accomplish the physical act(s) of finding a solution.
Of course it's all good while everybody is laughing.
That is until the bills for keeping them running as promised start coming due after one has scrimped and saved to get "a Rowlex" thinking they will be on a winner and set for life.
As to solutions. The preferred solution is for Rowlex to get their house in order and not pass on their dodgy products with an outrageous cost base onto the unsuspecting public.

One might as well get something with a Seagul ticking away merrily inside it and enjoy it for what it is under some circumstances and derive more peace of mind out of it.
Of course, there are potentially other high end brands that offer a better ownership experience. Which is regrettable for Rowlex but maybe beneficial to those not so well heeled as yourself
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2024, 06:48 PM   #133
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post

Your experience is excellent and so it should be considering the growing gap between average earnings and the purchase price of this class of wrist watches
We generally hope to be able to hear more about these types of experiences from a broader range of participants
Old 30 April 2024, 06:53 PM   #134
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockChuck View Post
If folks are having problems with their 32XX movement Rolex I don't see why they can't talk about it. Rolex makes lofty claims about accuracy, makes you wait months to years for a watch because of the extreme care in manufacturing and then you pay big bucks for it. If as some are saying there is a loss of 30 or so seconds a day, I think any mechanical watch can match that. All the same, peace to all. Cheers!
Yep.
Not just manufacturing. There's hological design excellence, engineering, materials and craftsmanship which are all executed to perfection. Better still, it's in accordance with the "Rowlex way"(their words).
Old 30 April 2024, 10:08 PM   #135
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Of course it's all good while everybody is laughing.
Am not laughing, as we know there are those with emotional and mental health issues who have not benefitted from 'tools' to cope with life. Perhaps they have family issues, or school issues, or ??? that have not provided them with tools for daily living. Imho there seems to be a relatively new generation of 'youth' who may be especially susceptible, and we should care for them when they need help. While they may not directly ask for help, the signs are there imho if one pays close attention to their cries for help.

We should be deeply compassionate for those who are not capable of handling adverse life situations. There are a variety of mental / emotional health issues... so help them with tools for living / coping within modern society. If by chance something within their life is not 100% perfect, it could trigger them.

Has any of your family members, or yourself, or a friend suffered from such mental / emotional issues when life does not go as planned? This was generally something we experienced as very very young children, yet now we may see it within much older people in their teens and 20s.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 30 April 2024, 11:06 PM   #136
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Has any of your family members, or yourself, or a friend suffered from such mental / emotional issues when life does not go as planned? This was generally something we experienced as very very young children, yet now we may see it within much older people in their teens and 20s.
Good question.
To answer that, out of the 8 offspring of my group of close friends from when we were at school at about age 7 or 8. I understand that there are 2 which are having difficulties.
One I can understand due to extended family dynamics on both her mother and fathers side which may contribute to her instability on one level or another. She has a younger sister that is a high achiever academically and I think she is OK by virtue of the fact that she is on the spectrum, which may have insulated her from negative influences.

The other example is a lad that is an only child who also excelled at school with being due of the school and seems normal enough at face value.
All I know is very limited amounts his father has shared with me in absolute strictest of confidence.
That lad has done so well at school and now university that he possibly can't make up his mind as to what career path to take as it's changed so often I can't keep up with it.
He literally has too many options.
Another element adding to his issues may be that his mother and father have definitely been helicopter parents all along, with his mother taking the lead by a good margin.
She has even stated that if the lad were to marry, that "they would definitely move to where ever her son and his wife were living to be close to him, no matter where in the world his career may take him".
One thing is for certain. His mother will have sway as to what ever direction he will go career wise and probably even who he will marry the way it's shaping up.
But it won't change the fact that he's deeply troubled according to his father and it started at high school.

Another is my wife's niece who had a job offer/schollarship or something at NASA from straight out of high school. She threw it all away for some reason that nobody in that side of the family either fully knows about or will ever openly discuss or acknowledge.
She lives a very modest existence and is seemingly troubled.
My wife and I think something has happened with her at high school.

Make of all that what you will.
Feel free to share your own stories.
Old 30 April 2024, 11:18 PM   #137
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post

It's not at all odd that fans of the maker would be concerned that the company has compromised in this area in favour of fancy features. A good example of the same phenomenon from another storied and beloved maker is Mercedes-Benz.

They had assumed the popularity of the gadgetry in the 90s SL-class was driving its sales, so they elected to double down on gadgets and compromise on fundamentals. (Here the comparison might be to the power reserve of new Omegas, or other features from competitors.)

It caused a decade of Mercedes models with severe reliability issues, even on the S-Class, that you would not see even on an econo-car. The ship would not really be righted until about 2010.
And I’m sure many Mercedes fanboys denied the problems.
Old 30 April 2024, 11:52 PM   #138
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of Eden View Post
On a related note, back in May 2023 AstraZeneca informed a guy's lawyer that they do not acknowledge Thrombosis with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (TTS) as being induced by the vaccine on a general level. Today we have UK Big Pharma AstraZeneca acknowledging that its Covid-19 vaccine can lead to a rare side effect known as Thrombosis with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (TTS).

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com.../109702543.cms

Am sure we can all agree Rolex is aware and is fixing things under warranty. No one is getting hurt, this isn't some life or death situation.

PS: Wish the mods would migrate this thread into the one already ongoing within the TRF WatchTech section as am sure they'd welcome the additional comments and information.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=786299

Old 1 May 2024, 12:13 AM   #139
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On a related note, back in May 2023 AstraZeneca informed a guy's lawyer that they do not acknowledge Thrombosis with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (TTS) as being induced by the vaccine on a general level. Today we have UK Big Pharma AstraZeneca acknowledging that its Covid-19 vaccine can lead to a rare side effect known as Thrombosis with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (TTS).

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com.../109702543.cms

Am sure we can all agree Rolex is aware and is fixing things under warranty. No one is getting hurt, this isn't some life or death situation.

PS: Wish the mods would migrate this thread into the one already ongoing within the TRF WatchTech section as am sure they'd welcome the additional comments and information.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=786299
No way.
Moving this thread across would be an attempt to bury the issue in there again and out of plain sight.
Besides, it would dilute the purity of our natural bodily fluids over in there

On a serious note.
You need to know that Rolex are now charging the full and unadulterated service fee for fixing the issue when the watch is out of warranty pursuant to policy.
You must have missed that memo
Another example of the things that don't necessarily come to light in this murky swamp of life
Old 1 May 2024, 01:29 AM   #140
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
You need to know that Rolex are now charging the full and unadulterated service fee for fixing the issue when the watch is out of warranty pursuant to policy.
In all seriousness, that's not good if true. i did miss seeing that, my bad :(

Quote:
You must have missed that memo
(And humor) Did it have a TPS cover sheet? You see, we're putting cover sheets on all TPS Reports now before they go out. Did you see the memo about this?

Yes, very much agreed, Rolex should fix this issue under warranty if it is strictly the only issue of a timepiece that needs correcting.

Old 1 May 2024, 05:02 AM   #141
jukeboxs
"TRF" Member

I own many Rolex including three 32xx models (BLRO, SDc, LVc). 2 of these have experienced the amplitude problem:
  • The BLRO went back 4 weeks before its 5 yr anniversary. It was returned after 4 months, but the amplitude was still outside spec (< 200 after 24 hours, and power reserve < 67 hours). So, it went back to Rolex Kings Hill again, this time for 3 months, and the watch was returned within spec (still free of charge, as original return within the warranty window). So, all good for now. I accept I will need to cover the cost for the next "fix" (I'll likely hold off for another 5 years, to give Rolex time to find a permanent fix).
  • The SDc is experiencing some issues (amplitude hovering around 200 after 24 hours, where this was comfortably above 200 until recently), but I'll hold off returning this to Rolex until just before the 5yr anniversary in Dec.
  • The LVc is showing no amplitude issues as yet, comfortably above 200 (3 yrs old).
jukeboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 05:27 AM   #142
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm sure! Unfortunately posts from older than 2007 on the main Mercedes forum got lost, but as of 2007 it seems the community pretty much agreed that generation was crap. So in that sense they're beating 'us' because that's 7 years into the crap cars whereas we're 9 years into 32-series and the fanboy response is still the predominant one.

Of course the best, if less consequential, example of this phenomenon is right here where people were claiming the non-magnifying Cyclops was a deliberate design change, rather than a manufacturing error.

Rolex's first acknowledgment of the problem? Not an apology to customers, but the removal of language talking about magnification from the Cyclops description on the website… It would be a few years before they'd officially acknowledge it (in the form of fixing the manufacturing, of course, not actually openly stating their mistake.)

We can hope that they're coming up with something new behind the scenes, but they seem perfectly content to keep throwing out these 32-series lemons. Not unlike how Apple had the ticking time bomb butterfly keyboard Macs for about 5 years, which would inevitably go wrong even if kept in the best of conditions, and for which they announced a 'quality program' (i.e. basically replacing the whole thing) whenever that happened, within four years of purchase. I made use of that program at least four times, then traded in the ticking time bomb laptop back to them for the new (actually fixed) model.
Old 1 May 2024, 05:57 AM   #143
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

Really that is your take away from my post?….
To clarify: I’m saying the topic has been beaten to death and nothing but snarky insults tend to surface when it comes up. It’s also the topic many gravitate to when they want to openly be combative and create drama. Life is too short to go down the same old topic without any new concrete information that we will never be privy to anyway. What little data is shared from our one and only source, Bas is still up to interpretation by his own admission regarding any altered serviced techniques by Rolex. Rolex doesn’t disclose anything regarding manufacturing tweaks or changes to their movements during manufacturing unless a change in actual parts are being made.

I personally have not had any issues with the movement over multiple pieces but that is just me and my own experience and means nothing to those who have their minds made up. Those that know my reputation will remember I am rather picky on the performance of my automatic movements.

FYI: Bas has also recently stated he has seen significantly less warranty work. This was also reported in the last very extensive thread on this topic. There is nothing more now that wasn’t said in the early thread that was moved to the movement section via our moderators.

It’s real simple: If you believe there is a hidden issue with the 32 series movement and Rolex won’t eventually remedy it behind closed doors then don’t buy one. If you don’t believe there is a serious issue and have faith Rolex would remediate if there was an issue behind closed door then do buy one..

That last paragraph probably just saved 30 pages of cyclical divisive chatter without ever hope of a satisfying ending for anyone on both sides of the topic.
Old 1 May 2024, 06:40 AM   #144
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with the current Rolex movement a lot of wind being blow by a few people
881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 07:38 AM   #145
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:

FYI: Bas has also recently stated he has seen significantly less warranty work. This was also reported in the last very extensive thread on this topic. There is nothing more now that wasn’t said in the early thread that was moved to the movement section via our moderators.
Possibly these problem watches are being sent to a different service center than where Bas works. I’m not seeing any fewer issues on this forum.

Quote:
It’s real simple: If you believe there is a hidden issue with the 32 series movement and Rolex won’t eventually remedy it behind closed doors then don’t buy one. If you don’t believe there is a serious issue and have faith Rolex would remediate if there was an issue behind closed door then do buy one..
Exactly, however I feel bad for those who spent their hard earned money on a watch with a defective movement that Rolex DID know about? How is this not grounds for a class action suit? Imagine that discovery process.

The outbursts will be epic when 32xx owners find out repairs are at full cost when out of warranty. If Rolex did otherwise they’d be admitting culpability.

Personally, life has enough unpleasant surprises for me to buy a known problem. Hope is not a strategy.
Old 1 May 2024, 07:48 AM   #146
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 881 View Post
Nothing wrong with the current Rolex movement a lot of wind being blow by a few people
Like the forum member with problems with 6 of his 8 32xx watches?
Old 1 May 2024, 08:11 AM   #147
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like the forum member with problems with 6 of his 8 32xx watches?
Ho hum same boring group talking amongst themselves but at others
881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 08:17 AM   #148
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Possibly, but many owners, prospective owners and motoring journalists criticised the cars and they developed a bad reputation in the wider world outside the Mercedes devotee bubble. They are still regarded as junk. Things like this will not be lost on Rolex but being Rolex, any remedial action going forward will not be revealed in much detail.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 08:36 AM   #149
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:

I’ll add option 3: you do believe there is a problem, and you believe it will be fixed(in production).

I have a 2024 LV Sub, for just that reason, plus the exit is basically risk free. If the problem pops up on this on this I have to pull out until there is verifiable remediation. Yes, for sure, sending in for service is an option, but that is getting old. I have just enough faith to give it one more go.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2024, 09:30 AM   #150
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I’ll add option 3: you do believe there is a problem, and you believe it will be fixed(in production).

I have a 2024 LV Sub, for just that reason, plus the exit is basically risk free. If the problem pops up on this on this I have to pull out until there is verifiable remediation. Yes, for sure, sending in for service is an option, but that is getting old. I have just enough faith to give it one more go.
I'd hang onto it if possible and hope for a good outcome long term.
To my mind, it's a really lovely watch especially if it has the MK II bezel insert which yours will have, but i acknowledge that regretful purchases are hard to shake off as well.