The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15 April 2023, 03:34 AM   #11
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I do not like Hesalite. It's another word for plastic, and I never thought plastic on a watch that costs thousands of dollar swould have even been acceptable (geez, people harp on Seiko for putting mineral glass on hundred dollar watches....cmon....seems like a double standard).

Yes, there is some nostalgic aura to Hesalite as that was the original iteration of the design that NASA approved for use. It doesn't shatter like sapphire could...point taken.

But absent that one small requirement, there is really no advantage of Hesalite, and lots of disadvantages for a luxury sports watch. Everything people seem to harp on about Hesalite being "warmer" and stuff like that is just nostalgia talking. These were actual limitations on clear plastic at the time that were essentially fixed when sapphire was made more readily available for use in watches.

I wonder how many of the people who "like" Hesalite for its warmth and nostalgic feel equally "hate" fauxtina.

I mean people clamor for Ed White's because it's faithful to the design that Ed White wore on his space walk. But even THAT has a sapphire crystal and case back to boot (and really quite necessary to show off that beautiful movement).

I just don't get Hesalite. But that's just me.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote