The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 April 2020, 08:42 PM   #91
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudchaser View Post
OP, I am a fellow flipper. Let me try to help you out...

You sold this watch in the last month (in the process naming your AD; I am guessing they didn't sell too many of that model on that exact day):

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=730770

Then you sorta went weird by negotiating a price with a reseller without any intent but to show everyone how badly resellers are struggling (classic concern troll maneuver):

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=734158

In doing that, I think a few people (rightfully) felt as though you had trolled TRF (in fact, a mod mentioned that specifically).

As if that weren't enough, you are now back to complain about 1) your AD accusing you (rightfully again it would seem) of flipping watches and 2) how unfair it is that an AD would choose to not sell to you.

Are you seriously so confused? Or are you trolling us? I know where I'd bet my money.
OP, really? And you're complaining about not getting the watches you want at MSRP and saying that they don't sell at market price?
Old 21 April 2020, 09:02 PM   #92
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick006 View Post
I think he is upset that people other than him are flipping watches for profit.
That's my take on it.
Old 21 April 2020, 09:11 PM   #93
Trane
"TRF" Member

I Have no sympathy as someone patiently waiting to buy a Rolex for myself, I don’t quite get the position of the grey market supporters. The argument tends to be something along the lines of “they are just trying to make a buck, don’t celebrate their misfortune”. So why not apply the same logic to the perspective of the individual buyers self interest? “ they are just trying to buy watches for MSRP
With their hard earned money what do you want from them?”

Doesn’t seem like the grey supporters/dealers had much sympathy for the self interest of the buyer in a sellers market, why should the buyer then have sympathy for the seller in a buyers market when the power naturally shifts their way??? In every market there are going to be winners and losers, it shifts all the time and everyone acts in their own self interest.
Old 21 April 2020, 09:16 PM   #94
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Andy, with all due respect your post lacks clarity, which I know you’ve tried to correct a number of times but the problem is that you’re coming across as a bit disingenuous.

You appear to be someone who in your own words has bought watches and sold at a profit to “supplement your low income to make ends meet” (post#23) and again in post #31 you “supplemented your income to save yourself from financial ruin” in response to Adam’s question.

Maybe I read you wrong but you seem bitter that your AD has decided not to do business with you ... at least that’s how I see it.

For the record they are your watches to do with as you please, and if you choose to sell them to make a profit that’s your business but surely you can’t blame Rolex your AD, the gray market or anyone else for your current situation.

Anyway, if the BLRO really is your grail watch I hope you land one at MRSP at a different AD. It sounds like your old AD is through with you and you can hardly blame them.

If you do land one and it doesn’t work out, I will trust you won’t flip it here for a profit. That will make a believer out of me.

Best of luck to you
Old 21 April 2020, 09:22 PM   #95
HubbleNox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
This thread has been a good read.

'The situation in Canada...' sounds a bit dramatic.

Let's not paint everything with the same brush.

I literally turned down a BLRO a few weeks ago, also in Canada.

Sure it's tempting to flip it but I value my relationship with my AD more than trying to make a few Ks.
Old 21 April 2020, 09:24 PM   #96
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleNox View Post
This thread has been a good read.

'The situation in Canada...' sounds a bit dramatic.

Let's not paint everything with the same brush.

I literally turned down a BLRO a few weeks ago, also in Canada.

Sure it's tempting to flip it but I value my relationship with my AD more than trying to make a few Ks.
You might help a brother out and pass the name of that AD on to Andy
Old 21 April 2020, 11:07 PM   #97
HubbleNox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You might help a brother out and pass the name of that AD on to Andy
It was sold as soon as I hung up the phone... Sorry Andy!
Old 21 April 2020, 11:20 PM   #98
coleburns
"TRF" Member

Interesting views

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 21 April 2020, 11:42 PM   #99
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
I think I am going to quit here
I am tired of explaining myself
My so-called trolling post which was meant to help everybody out here and share some valuable information backfired, there was no ill intention there

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
Old 21 April 2020, 11:55 PM   #100
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Why would AD's sell to flippers? The logical thing to do is sell directly to grey dealers.
Old 21 April 2020, 11:59 PM   #101
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
You’ve done ok from the ADs.
Perhaps grey is now your best option for a BLRO. (Also maybe less chance of you flipping it as you’ll have paid a bit more). Buy it, keep it, enjoy it.
Old 22 April 2020, 12:22 AM   #102
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane View Post
I Have no sympathy as someone patiently waiting to buy a Rolex for myself, I don’t quite get the position of the grey market supporters.
I understand your frustration. After initially being excited by the SS BLRO, I went off it, partly because it became such a poster child for the gougers. Having tried and failed to get on any UK list, I didn't look at the grey market for long because the asking price was so ridiculous. And it still is.

I do think the grey market has a right to exist and for the most part fulfils a necessary function both to the trade and the buyer. The Rolex grey trade is upside down in places because of the fantastic demand for certain models. Why wouldn't a grey dealer look to benefit from this? They are not depriving you of a watch. If it's sitting in a grey dealer, it was never going to be your watch in the first place.

No grey dealer is stealing from you or cheating you. If your AD is telling you there are no BLROs coming in whilst simultaneously pushing them out the back door onto the grey market, or selling to known flippers who are friends of the business, then by all means put the blame where the blame lays and name the AD. Not that they have technically done anything wrong, but people may feel better for taking their business elsewhere. Although if you think about that......
Old 22 April 2020, 12:30 AM   #103
yonexsp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Why do dealers sell to grey instead of retail customers? Whats in it for them? Is it the Grey's bu all the other watches no one wants?

Perhaps this creates false demand for no SS sports watches. Rolex believing they are selling lots of DateJusts because the Greys buy them to get the SS models.

Anyway, its all stupid and annoying and maybe just maybe will change somewhat soon.
Old 22 April 2020, 12:41 AM   #104
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Interesting thread.
Old 22 April 2020, 12:45 AM   #105
descartes
"TRF" Member

So the OP is venting to this forum because he can’t buy a BLRO at retail that he then wants to sell to someone on this forum at a mark-up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2020, 01:19 AM   #106
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
So, here's what I got from this post, correct me if I am wrong.

OP borrows money to buy watches to flip for profit.
He is butt hurt now because AD won't sell him a BLRO to flip.
Maybe he should flip toilet paper instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toilet paper.jpg (101.7 KB, 288 views)
Old 22 April 2020, 02:28 AM   #107
Trane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I understand your frustration. After initially being excited by the SS BLRO, I went off it, partly because it became such a poster child for the gougers. Having tried and failed to get on any UK list, I didn't look at the grey market for long because the asking price was so ridiculous. And it still is.

I do think the grey market has a right to exist and for the most part fulfils a necessary function both to the trade and the buyer. The Rolex grey trade is upside down in places because of the fantastic demand for certain models. Why wouldn't a grey dealer look to benefit from this? They are not depriving you of a watch. If it's sitting in a grey dealer, it was never going to be your watch in the first place.

No grey dealer is stealing from you or cheating you. If your AD is telling you there are no BLROs coming in whilst simultaneously pushing them out the back door onto the grey market, or selling to known flippers who are friends of the business, then by all means put the blame where the blame lays and name the AD. Not that they have technically done anything wrong, but people may feel better for taking their business elsewhere. Although if you think about that......

I totally agree. My point wasn’t that the greys shouldn’t be doing it but that no one should be surprised when someone takes advantage of market conditions in their self interest, in either direction. Funny enough the BLRO is the one I am waiting on as well!
Old 22 April 2020, 02:55 AM   #108
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
And the nastiness continues..

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
Old 22 April 2020, 03:27 AM   #109
Zoran
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 Mark 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyROLEX! View Post
Again not reading correctly
That was 4-5 years ago things have changed
Didnt sell at a loss, made ok
When I said I sold them lower than anybody else it was because of the low value of our canadian dollar.
Please guys dont make assumptions from not reading thoroughly
First off, I understand you sold one to replace it with another.
As said by someone, sometimes the watch isn't for you and there is no need in keeping it. When the market was different we sold with a loss, which was normal and okay. The past years you could get lucky on some models and sell at a profit, also okay.

But, what I don't understand is your frustration that you (and I, and most of us here) helped create and still to this day maintain this game. This wouldn't continue if people stopped flipping for profits, buyers pay premiums and the rest put their names on waiting lists.
I have nothing against it, but this behavior feeds the current situation, to the frustration of some/many.

I have a simple life and simple rules:

- I don't pay premiums
- I can wait, find elsewhere or live without it.
- If you don't appreciate my cash, I will find someone who does

Relax Andy, it's just a watch.
Old 22 April 2020, 03:30 AM   #110
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

The situation in canada...

30 minutes and 109 read posts later...

Still hilarious

Don’t blame my reading skills, some I had to read 2-3 times. Still did’t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2020, 03:32 AM   #111
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

So... by the way... what’s the situation in Canada like?

Old 22 April 2020, 03:34 AM   #112
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
In the FS section, you are bragging with over 100 solid references.

Yes, I‘d say that you are a trader and not only a flipper.....
And your jokingly comments at the AD where bordering on being offensive.
They where at least not sensible - really, what did you expect.
Old 22 April 2020, 03:56 AM   #113
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
In the FS section, you are bragging with over 100 solid references.

Yes, I‘d say that you are a trader and not only a flipper.....
And your jokingly comments at the AD where bordering on being offensive.
They where at least not sensible - really, what did you expect.
Every dog has its day
Old 22 April 2020, 04:40 AM   #114
Ck__
"TRF" Member

Which ADs in Canada? Nothing in Toronto is open.
Old 22 April 2020, 04:45 AM   #115
djyolky
Banned

This thread has delivered!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2020, 04:45 AM   #116
uhren917
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:

You sold this watch in the last month (in the process naming your AD; I am guessing they didn't sell too many of that model on that exact day):

Then you sorta went weird by negotiating a price with a reseller without any intent but to show everyone how badly resellers are struggling (classic concern troll maneuver):

In doing that, I think a few people (rightfully) felt as though you had trolled TRF (in fact, a mod mentioned that specifically).

As if that weren't enough, you are now back to complain about 1) your AD accusing you (rightfully again it would seem) of flipping watches and 2) how unfair it is that an AD would choose to not sell to you.

Are you seriously so confused? Or are you trolling us? I know where I'd bet my money.
Agreed.

What a strange thread and a confused way of thinking. Sells a watch in March 2020 of this year and explains over and over in post after post that the transactions were way in the past?

Weird. What a complete waste of time. I am out.
Old 22 April 2020, 04:52 AM   #117
rolexkidd
"TRF" Member

This entire thread is an all encompassing example of "Free Market Capitalism" on full display. I don't have a dog in the hunt but have noticed violations of common decency on both sides of this thread. No ill wishes on the OP at all but my antenna always wiggles when I hear people make claims about a manufacturer and the "corporate strategies" they are ostensibly deploying on the public. The example here being limitations of production of certain models or the like. Truth is, we will never empirically know especially with a company as closed off and secretive as Rolex. I for one don't truly believe that Rolex gives two cat turds about market manipulation, but I could be wrong. What I do believe is the Grey's are going to get caught with inventories that are going to stagnate. We are far from seeing a turn around in the general economy as the repairs always take far longer than the initial damage took. That stands true with just about anything. Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Economies, Trust, Auto Accidents and on and on and on.

I don't have any problem when flippers or market speculators make a buck......It typically just won't include me. On the flip-side (pun intended) they need to be ready to weather the storm when cash becomes king.......and that day is coming, always does. So, OP be patient, you will get your Pepsi GMT and it will likely by for less than MSRP, new with stickers and all. Don't let the keyboard warriors here dampen your spirits or make you regret sharing your feelings. There's always someone that'll jump your $hit no matter what you write.
Old 22 April 2020, 04:54 AM   #118
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
The situation in canada...

Quote:

I’m confused. Someone actually paid 45k USD for that?

Nvm saw that It was a Platinum version and not WG.
Old 22 April 2020, 05:38 AM   #119
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Can anyone see my point?
I don't think so. Your original post was a bit of a rant. I wasn't (and I'm still not) sure what you were trying to communicate other than some anger.

If you want a new BLRO, then go buy one. Who's stopping you? If you refuse to buy grey market, then go find another brand that has adequate supply. There are lots of great watches out there, and most of them cost less than a Rolex.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 22 April 2020, 07:11 AM   #120
aurenas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So 2 years ago, I was told by a certain AD here in Canada that I was put on the waiting list for a pepsi gmt by a salesperson that I had built some rep with.
Yesterday I emailed the AD and told them my story
The salesperson that answered me told me they never had a waiting list.
LIE # 1
I told the person that I had bought 4 other rolexes there over the years, and after 2 years was wondering if there was any chance of finally getting a pepsi, as I really want one for myself.
The salesperson asked me if I can prove that I still own any of the rolexes I had bought.
I answered him saying that no, when I get bored of them I sell them for something different.
I also said in a joking manner that I had looked online and there are hundreds listed there at ridiculous prices, so I thought that is what is normally is happening anyways, and that I didnt really feel like paying thousands more.
After that, no response....
LETDOWN # 1

Slowly I am getting very perturbed.
When I see all the bnib ones here and every other forum, just sitting there listed for thousands more, and I cant get one because of that.
This happens to be one that I really want for myself.
Now before everybody jumps on me saying “well you’re a flipper arent you, serves you right!
Let me make this statement and rebuttal:
I have to prove that I am not a flipper? What difference does that make, when probably 70% of the hot models get flipped anyways?!?
I mean look here, Pepsis, hulks, daytonas, batmans, daytonas rootbeers daytonas
One after the other bnib
Where did they all come from?! FROM FLIPPERS!
People that got them from AD’s and sell them for profit!
Now, I dont blame them, I blame Rolex, for making the new rules 3 years ago to only sell to supposed non-flippers.
What happened? It only enabled them.
The famous economist milton friedman had the correct view:
As in the narcotics industry, as soon as you try to control and limit the supply, it only ends up enabling the illegal underground dealings, and only the large cartels become successful and survive, and drives up price and demand.
This happened during prohibition in the 30’s, after which the government finally said “well that didnt go too well, i guess we will stop controlling that”
This is what has happened to rolex. Their plan has backfired.

Which ad?

Instagram watchauren
Closed Thread