The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 October 2021, 05:25 AM   #31
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Interesting, I genuinely did not know that.

How do Rolex ship their watches now then?
Cardboard box - like Patek.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 05:26 AM   #32
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Come on man, put yourself in the shoes of the sales individual. How many times can they answer you….. they don’t have anything for you, you hockey pucks!

Heck, they probably toss and turn in their sleep Daytona Daytona Daytona no no no can you imagine the nightmare of being a SA!!!

Bunch of cry babies

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 05:39 AM   #33
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Why beat yourself up?
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 05:46 AM   #34
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
There is literally no enjoyment at visiting Rolex AD's anymore. Used to be fun, now it's a depressing miserable experience. They don't even want to talk about Rolex anymore. Last time I went I couldn't wait to leave.
Same here. I used to stop in to look or even chat, not anymore. Sad thing is Rolex not the ADs even care about traffic. They’re still selling every watch, you’re just some random peasant walking in to beg, no thanks.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 05:54 AM   #35
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
I don’t think you were lied to. They don’t have watches to sell to you as a new customer. That’s the same thing as having no men’s watches available. They’re not available to you. Everyone knows they have watches in stock. They’re just allocated already. It’s a hard pill to swallow and one that took me time to understand but it’s the truth. Nothing personal.
I agree with you.

For example, I was in Italy last month and swung by the ADs in Naples, Capri, and Rome.

Naples ADs were honest with me and said we give priority to locals and if I wanted to purchase to go to one of the larger ADs in Rome or Milan. Their allocation simply can’t complete with those larger cities to serve tourists who may end up never returning for future business. I appreciated their candidness and no-nonsense approach.

Capri was straight forward as well, but they’re only open for part of the year given the island slows down significantly during off season. It didn’t make sense to start a purchase history there.

Made it to one of the Rome ADs and was greeted with open arms despite being a tourist. Picked up quite a few pieces for the family I was traveling with.

It’s a rough time for newcomers to the hobby. Adjust one’s expectations and understand how they need to serve existing clients while doing their due diligence on potential new clients. People have a hard time accepting no as answer.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 05:59 AM   #36
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
There is literally no enjoyment at visiting Rolex AD's anymore. Used to be fun, now it's a depressing miserable experience. They don't even want to talk about Rolex anymore. Last time I went I couldn't wait to leave.
Yup!

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 06:09 AM   #37
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
You were asking for it lol. You should’ve just stayed away from the ADs and enjoyed your trip!
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 06:17 AM   #38
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
They only want to sell to locals? Plan - Get Spyros (generic male greek name) from your favorite local restaurant to join you at the AD. Have Spyros buy the watch and hand it to you
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 06:56 AM   #39
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWatchGuy View Post
They looked bigger than the standard coffins we’re all familiar with….they looked almost like Patek-type boxes. But I couldn’t get a super clear look through the sheer curtain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it look like this?

eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 08:16 AM   #40
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I would never expect to walk into an AD that I have never been to before and be offered water much less a Rolex watch .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 09:50 AM   #41
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
To be fair, them telling you they have nothing to sell probably saves them getting abused by customers when theyre told "we have stock, we just dont want to sell it to you"
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 10:09 AM   #42
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
So if I go to your AD, have a chat with the staff there you'd be happy with me buying and walking out with that grail the AD says is still not in and taking it back to the UK?

I guess not.
This was worded in such a way that I feel violated
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 10:46 AM   #43
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
I truthfully didn’t have any expectations with today’s market conditions. Though I guess we all secretly hope to stumble upon one of those AD’s we sometimes read about who don’t play any games and sell whatever (within reason) to whoever (within reason)

In fact, I went into one AD in Piraeus Greece a few weeks ago. Smaller little seaside city….in their displays they had quite a decent inventory - black op 41 / yellow gold stick day date and a couple different precious metal sky dwellers on oysteflex. I could have purchased any one of those pieces if I so desired….just wasn’t interested in those particular pieces / my wife will divorce me if I get another precious metal Rolex.

What did you expect when you walked into the the ADs?

You clearly were mentally prepared that they would not be selling you anything already.

Did you prefer that they use some other lie to tell you No?

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 10:48 AM   #44
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
It’s hurting the brand for sure. I have money to spend, but I’ve lost interest and don’t really care anymore.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 11:55 AM   #45
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryacht View Post
It’s hurting the brand for sure. I have money to spend, but I’ve lost interest and don’t really care anymore.
I know most of the people on TRF would refute this, but I personally believe more and more enthusiasts are taking this attitude.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 12:14 PM   #46
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The things that hurt a brand’s image are arrogance, pretension, disdain and prevarication. But at an AD, the same rep will act out whether a Rolex or an Omega or other brand is being requested.

The thing that can hurt a brand’s revenue is failing to sell inventory.

HQ needs to manage the AD sales channel to control that first set of challenges.

Demand has taken care of the inventory matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 12:20 PM   #47
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
High rollers and gray dealers im afraid.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 01:55 PM   #48
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
What did you expect when you walked into the the ADs?

You clearly were mentally prepared that they would not be selling you anything already.

Did you prefer that they use some other lie to tell you No?

I would expect to see some inventory in the cases. Obviously not Daytonas or gmts. But maybe a two-tone yachtmaster. A 36mm date just. I find it so bizarre that ad’s have resorted to holding back EVERY single men’s watch.

DaveTheWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 01:56 PM   #49
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Can’t believe how badly I was lied to

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
This was worded in such a way that I feel violated

Lol! Who needs commas and periods anyhow!

DaveTheWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:39 PM   #50
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Come on man, put yourself in the shoes of the sales individual. How many times can they answer you….. they don’t have anything for you, you hockey pucks!

Heck, they probably toss and turn in their sleep Daytona Daytona Daytona no no no can you imagine the nightmare of being a SA!!!

Bunch of cry babies
Amen. The privileged whining around here is at maximum level...it's endless.

Jesus. Enough already. No one cares about your experience at the AD.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:52 PM   #51
S``
"TRF" Member

No one lied to you... You had just been rejected nicely, but you refused to accept it and moved on...

Kind of like real life situation
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 02:57 PM   #52
ce027772
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am officially done visiting ADs….
I am sure they will miss you.
ce027772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 03:30 PM   #53
karteo
"TRF" Member

clearly your first name is not Keanu
karteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 04:30 PM   #54
RJM25R
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ve been visiting ADs here in Greece while on holiday. I had zero expectations of actually getting a Rolex because I’m a realist. But man, I didn’t expect that ADs could be this dirty!! Here are two examples:

1) While waiting to enter one Ad (because there was a couple in there already and they have a 2 person maximum) I was looking through the display window curtain and noticed that the Sales Associate kept opening up a drawer and taking out coffins with watches in them. He took out about 6 different coffins. I couldn’t tell what the pieces were though. The couple left and the security guard told me they needed to clean the clean down the counter (covid protocol). I carefully watched through the display window curtain and saw the SA packing up all the coffins and putting them back in his drawer. I walk in and see three tiny/diamond women’s datejusts. Before I could even say anything the SA greets me with “sorry, we have nothing for men”….I say: Oh really? Looked like you had some pieces you put away under your desk. He was shocked that I noticed what he was up to. He continued to deny having any other pieces. I just shook my head and walked out.

2) right after this visit I hit another AD that sells Rolex and other brands. I walk in and try to disarm the SA’s by looking around at other brands…some brands I actually own and like. When I get to the Rolex section the SA immediately says “we have no men’s pieces”. All they had in their display were small ladies datejusts. I looked around a bit more and left. About 30 minutes later I walk by their window again on my way to another store and look in….what do I see? The same SA helping another customer. Only on the tray in front of him were several pieces…couldn’t make them out totally but it looked like a two tone root beer, rose gold day date, and maybe a datejust or OP. I locked eyes with the SA who clearly remembered me and looked a bit uncomfortable by my stalkerish staring. Lol. For a split second I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe he already bought these pieces. No. The man walked out empty handed. I then watched the woman put the pieces away as they let in the next customer.

I am officially done visiting ADs….life is too short to waste any more time. Im thankful for the 5 Rolex pieces I have (most of which were purchased/trade with grey dealers). For the next while I’m moving onto other brands.

Perhaps you should concentrate on enjoying your Greek holiday instead of expecting miracles.

The AD policy may be to not sell Rolex to tourists, and keep the watches for local clients.
RJM25R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 04:31 PM   #55
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Because I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ve been visiting ADs here in Greece while on holiday. I had zero expectations of actually getting a Rolex because I’m a realist. But man, I didn’t expect that ADs could be this dirty!! Here are two examples:

1) While waiting to enter one Ad (because there was a couple in there already and they have a 2 person maximum) I was looking through the display window curtain and noticed that the Sales Associate kept opening up a drawer and taking out coffins with watches in them. He took out about 6 different coffins. I couldn’t tell what the pieces were though. The couple left and the security guard told me they needed to clean the clean down the counter (covid protocol). I carefully watched through the display window curtain and saw the SA packing up all the coffins and putting them back in his drawer. I walk in and see three tiny/diamond women’s datejusts. Before I could even say anything the SA greets me with “sorry, we have nothing for men”….I say: Oh really? Looked like you had some pieces you put away under your desk. He was shocked that I noticed what he was up to. He continued to deny having any other pieces. I just shook my head and walked out.

2) right after this visit I hit another AD that sells Rolex and other brands. I walk in and try to disarm the SA’s by looking around at other brands…some brands I actually own and like. When I get to the Rolex section the SA immediately says “we have no men’s pieces”. All they had in their display were small ladies datejusts. I looked around a bit more and left. About 30 minutes later I walk by their window again on my way to another store and look in….what do I see? The same SA helping another customer. Only on the tray in front of him were several pieces…couldn’t make them out totally but it looked like a two tone root beer, rose gold day date, and maybe a datejust or OP. I locked eyes with the SA who clearly remembered me and looked a bit uncomfortable by my stalkerish staring. Lol. For a split second I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought maybe he already bought these pieces. No. The man walked out empty handed. I then watched the woman put the pieces away as they let in the next customer.

I am officially done visiting ADs….life is too short to waste any more time. Im thankful for the 5 Rolex pieces I have (most of which were purchased/trade with grey dealers). For the next while I’m moving onto other brands.

They don’t want to sell to non locals and non preferred clients.
Simple as that
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 04:50 PM   #56
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Cardboard box - like Patek.

Thanks

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 06:44 PM   #57
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Most people don't have the stomach to see how the sausage is made.

Pieces are allocated to customers who are chosen by the AD/SA and presented in person by appointment.

They were honest. We have no men's watches! (for you) is implied.

No need to call them out. "Aha!!! Your day is booked with appointments and you ARE delivering watches!!!! Caught you!!!" Silly.

Browsing Rolex cases is a thing of the past if you think you are going to buy same day.

so true! glad that my AD treat me well, I can get most of the sport models within months. because I understand the AD and they know me well.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 08:44 PM   #58
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree.

+1

Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 08:57 PM   #59
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I know most of the people on TRF would refute this, but I personally believe more and more enthusiasts are taking this attitude.
Your right Paul,,,
Whole process is leaving a very poor “ taste “ in the mouth,,
I’m awaiting a chnr ,,told it should arrive before Xmas and if it does then great but if not then I can wait,,,
After that I’m out for the moment and will move on with Grand Seiko as my next daily and I br popping along to VC who were very welcoming and honest ( actually offer you a sit down appt to try there wares) ,, within the next few weeks ,,,
An absolutely awful time to try and join the Rolex world ,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 09:39 PM   #60
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Well for one they don’t have to blatantly lie to anyone’s face. They can just be upfront and tell the truth.
This is probably how they routinely deflect. They didn't have anything to sell tourists. If the message was loud and clear, job done as far as they are concerned. Different cultures, different attitudes, different ways of saying things, different social norms.

When we encounter a situation like this which is at right angles to how we would manage it, who is at fault? Them for not behaving as we would wish them to, or us for failing to tune in to the culture that we have chosen to visit?

I visited the Rolex AD in Nicosia three years ago. I didn't expect much but I thought it was worth a sniff. They had a Polar and 11 series TT Bluesy on display. Both watches I already owned. I was wearing my Polar. I asked about a SS GMT Master and a SS Sky Dweller. "Not possible, can't do, if you want nothing on display you please leave now, bye".

I could have indulged in the luxury of being offended, probably reinforcing a stereotype in the process, but I thanked them politely, smiled and left. I didn't fare any better in a Breitling AD elsewhere in Cyprus. The clipped tones were just the same. Of course I wasn't offended, I didn't want to buy anything they had on display in the shop, and they didn't want me in the shop if I wasn't buying anything. It's not a grocers shop.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote