The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 April 2024, 01:01 AM   #1
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Opinions on trade of Parmigiani for Breguet

I would love some opinions on a trade offer I received from a grey to trade my Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda PF Chrono (plus a few thousand $) for a one year old Breguet Tradition 7097. I’ve had the PF for sale as I love watches I can change up appearance with straps, so I’ve found I’m not really into integrated bracelets. With that said, the PF is incredible. I’ve never tried on, or seen, the Tradition in person but love the idea of it and that it’s white gold. Also seems like a watch that will take well to more casual straps (I.e. canvas).

What would you all do if in my shoes? Below are photos of my PF and the Tradition (off the internet).

NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 01:46 AM   #2
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I have that exact tradition model and it’s definitely better finished and a more exciting aesthetic imo.

I would 100% go for the Breguet.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 02:43 AM   #3
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Love the traction Breguet is getting here lately!

Two very different watches here so would just come down to personal preference. If being able to change straps is something you value think you'd love the tradition. I've morphed into that person as well over the last few years. I used to be all about being on the bracelet now I wear everything on canvas/leather/rubber.
Old 25 April 2024, 02:57 AM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I prefer the breguet but one thing to note is to change straps you need to use a screwdriver on a very small presumably gold screw at each springbar. For this reason I question how often I would be changing straps like I normally would. Maybe an owner can chime in.
Old 25 April 2024, 03:23 AM   #5
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

I would, in a heartbeat. I have the 7097 and it's a favorite.

That said, I'd never put it on a canvas strap. A simple black strap really lets the interesting dial and movement be the focus of the piece.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 03:43 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I prefer the look of the open work for sure. One thing I’ve never come around on with B is those long lugs, concerned they won’t fit me great. Never tried IRL
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 03:48 AM   #7
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
I would do this trade and get Breguet. Breguet have more timeless design and better movement and dial finish
Old 25 April 2024, 04:59 AM   #8
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

Breguet

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 05:12 AM   #9
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
I would, in a heartbeat. I have the 7097 and it's a favorite.

That said, I'd never put it on a canvas strap. A simple black strap really lets the interesting dial and movement be the focus of the piece.
Yeah if you want something casual, maybe a black or dark blue suede, nubuck, crazyhorse, etc.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 05:27 AM   #10
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Breguet all the way.
ChetBaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 05:53 AM   #11
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I prefer the look of the open work for sure. One thing I’ve never come around on with B is those long lugs, concerned they won’t fit me great. Never tried IRL
In a vacuum I don't love their lugs either. In practice when the watch is on my wrist I don't even see the lugs I just see the dials.

That said I think a rounder shaped wrist probably won't work well. I don't have a large wrist at all at 6.75'' or so but it's flat on top and there's no overhang on any of mine. Worth trying on sometime if able.
Old 25 April 2024, 06:43 AM   #12
dpj17
2024 Pledge Member

This is no brainer for me, assuming the $ difference isn't too much, the Breguet is an amazing watch and super undervalued imho.
Old 25 April 2024, 06:44 AM   #13
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I prefer the breguet but one thing to note is to change straps you need to use a screwdriver on a very small presumably gold screw at each springbar. For this reason I question how often I would be changing straps like I normally would. Maybe an owner can chime in.
There's a special tool you need to do it right, mostly people don't change Breguet straps by themselves often.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 07:20 AM   #14
arnage
"TRF" Member

FYI - though you may already be aware; the Parmigiani Tonda strap options are interchangeable with the Tonda PF bracelet watches. i.e. you can use the rubber strap from the Tonda Sport, or the crocodile straps from the precious metal Tonda PFs on your watch.
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:37 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
There's a special tool you need to do it right, mostly people don't change Breguet straps by themselves often.

Thanks for the insight my friend. That makes sense. I have the standard Bergeon screwdrivers and I wasn’t sure where to start. I’ve sized 15202s and such before but gold screws give me pause. Either way I love breguet and am confident you won’t find much better value for watches under 30k on strap.
Old 25 April 2024, 09:46 AM   #16
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the insight my friend. That makes sense. I have the standard Bergeon screwdrivers and I wasn’t sure where to start. I’ve sized 15202s and such before but gold screws give me pause. Either way I love breguet and am confident you won’t find much better value for watches under 30k on strap.
Agreed for sure.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:51 AM   #17
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I would make this trade too
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 12:15 PM   #18
NardinNut

Thank you all for your input. I was leaning towards the Breguet and this helped push me over. Will hopefully have it on my wrist by the weekend!
Old 25 April 2024, 12:18 PM   #19
NardinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
FYI - though you may already be aware; the Parmigiani Tonda strap options are interchangeable with the Tonda PF bracelet watches. i.e. you can use the rubber strap from the Tonda Sport, or the crocodile straps from the precious metal Tonda PFs on your watch.

I’m aware, thanks. My AD quoted $530 for the strap and $860 for the clasp. I prefer a watch I can change among endless strap options, not just two. Bet it would have been awesome with the PF strap!
Old 25 April 2024, 12:19 PM   #20
NardinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post

I knew about the annoying small screw, but I did not know about the special tool. Do you know if it’s something available for purchase from Breguet?
Old 25 April 2024, 12:20 PM   #21
NardinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Yeah if you want something casual, maybe a black or dark blue suede, nubuck, crazyhorse, etc.

Nubuck or suede is a great idea!
Old 25 April 2024, 12:23 PM   #22
NardinNut

Quote:

I did read about the small gold screws. Like you, I have the Bergeon drivers and was hoping to use those, but I’ll need to be sure to limit my anxious drinking until after I’ve successfully swapped the strap
Old 25 April 2024, 12:25 PM   #23
NardinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynott View Post
I used to be all about being on the bracelet now I wear everything on canvas/leather/rubber.
That’s exactly how I am now. I love the change of character a strap swap provides.
Old 25 April 2024, 12:55 PM   #24
magicman
"TRF" Member

I’ve changed a strap on a 5907 and all you need is a high quality properly sized screwdriver, though if you’re afraid of scratches don’t do it often. I love strap changes, but my Breguet lives on one strap.
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 02:49 PM   #25
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Seems like they're giving you pretty solid money for the parm. I love both but if you were already trying to sell the parm id def do it.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 04:35 PM   #26
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Breguet is much more special IMO.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 07:17 PM   #27
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Wow... This is such an overwhelming no brainer for the PF. I must be living in an alternate universe seeing all these responses for Breguet. But I guess the people have spoken. Enjoy the watch.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 09:01 PM   #28
NardinNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
Wow... This is such an overwhelming no brainer for the PF. I must be living in an alternate universe seeing all these responses for Breguet. But I guess the people have spoken. Enjoy the watch.

I don’t disagree that the PF is absolutely stunning and I think PF is one of the best indies out there currently, especially the minute rattrapante. My specific model, the chrono, I just didn’t connect with. Three main reasons, one of which has nothing to do with PF itself.
First, the case size, and shape, just didn’t seem to sit right on my wrist.
Second, the lack of micro adjustment and the environment I live in causing wrist swelling throughout the day, it just didn’t have all day comfort.
Lastly, I’m more into watches that I can change up the character with strap changes. If you look through my photos recently you’ll see that is very evident. If I move forward with an integrated bracelet piece again in the future, the only one I’m lusting after is the one you have, the LF Sport Auto. What a gorgeous watch!!
Old 25 April 2024, 10:43 PM   #29
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I prefer the Breguet.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2024, 06:28 AM   #30
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
I don’t disagree that the PF is absolutely stunning and I think PF is one of the best indies out there currently, especially the minute rattrapante. My specific model, the chrono, I just didn’t connect with. Three main reasons, one of which has nothing to do with PF itself.
First, the case size, and shape, just didn’t seem to sit right on my wrist.
Second, the lack of micro adjustment and the environment I live in causing wrist swelling throughout the day, it just didn’t have all day comfort.
Lastly, I’m more into watches that I can change up the character with strap changes. If you look through my photos recently you’ll see that is very evident. If I move forward with an integrated bracelet piece again in the future, the only one I’m lusting after is the one you have, the LF Sport Auto. What a gorgeous watch!!

I can’t say enough good things about the LF. But to your earlier point it does not have the micro adjustment. So if that’s something you absolutely need, it may not be what you’re looking for. Never been a problem for me with that watch however probably because it’s so light along with supple angles. Whereas I need it on my Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote