The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 December 2022, 12:07 PM   #1
cpavlovic
"TRF" Member

Watch: ss daytona
water damage

What is everyones feeling about managing water damage?
I purchased a vintage piece from a reputable dealer but found there to be a large amount of condensation under the crystal that comes and goes with temperature changes. I was told it was pressure tested and passed prior to purchase.
They have offered to address the problem and re-pressure test the watch for no charge but I am concerned about the internals in the long run. I am able to return the watch for a refund. it is otherwise quite nice. Obviously I liked it enough to buy it in the first place.
cpavlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 12:29 PM   #2
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Short answer: I would want a full refund. Water damage is a pain in the ass. Been there.

Did you take it in the pool, or shower? If not, it was a pre-existing condition, most likely. If it was pre-existing, they either knew and didn't tell you, or, they are not competent. If you had minor water contact only, they are potentially not being truthful about the pressure testing.

Being vintage, you need to be careful. If you treated it like a modern piece and got yourself here, consider it a lesson learned and count yourself lucky. If that's the case, I would take them up on their offer and get it fixed.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 12:42 PM   #3
cpavlovic
"TRF" Member

Watch: ss daytona
Thank you for the reply.
I realize I should have been more specific in my original post. The watch is a 2001 GMT master and this occurred after 24 hours of the watch being in my possession.
I have all my watches pressure tested as I do like to clean them with water. I had not yet needed to subject this one to cleaning. I feel this is a young vintage piece and should be able to be rinsed under water if it has passed a proper pressure test. Very glad it happened so quickly. Best to return for refund and I shall.
cpavlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 12:49 PM   #4
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpavlovic View Post
Thank you for the reply.
I realize I should have been more specific in my original post. The watch is a 2001 GMT master and this occurred after 24 hours of the watch being in my possession.
I have all my watches pressure tested as I do like to clean them with water. I had not yet needed to subject this one to cleaning. I feel this is a young vintage piece and should be able to be rinsed under water if it has passed a proper pressure test. Very glad it happened so quickly. Best to return for refund and I shall.
You're right, Chris. A simple rinse under water for a neo-vintage piece is not asking too much. That's disappointing. At least you can get out of the deal. I would look elsewhere for the next piece.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 01:35 PM   #5
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Probably a fixable issue, but I'd return it, unless there's something particularly amazing about it.

Great condition 16710's are pretty available, so one shouldn't settle for a subpar one.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2022, 02:31 PM   #6
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Easy to get another one. Get a refund.

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
IG @bladeandwatch1
Old 10 December 2022, 01:45 AM   #7
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

I know how it feels to get a new watch and like it then find an issue with it. However, don't let the desire of ownership cloud your judgment and return the watch for a refund.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote