The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2020, 11:18 AM   #1
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Love my first Rolex, just wish it was bigger!

I recently bought my first Rolex, a 2020 Sub no date. Bought it from a trusted Rolex Forum seller. Love it to death but I find that when I wear it, I feel it is too small on my wrist. All of my other watches,( non Rolex) are bigger than 40mm. I'm thinking of moving to a Sea Dweller since it appears it is a bigger case diameter. I am a newbie in the Rolex world. Please forgive my lack of knowledge here. It appears that a Sea Dweller is a larger more substantial size. Any input or suggestions? Thanx in advance.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 11:42 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Watch size is personal perspective.

Many who feel that a slightly smaller watch is too small for them after wearing pie-tin sizes, don't really see themselves the way the rest of us do.
Old 12 May 2020, 11:45 AM   #3
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the response but i assume it was sarcasm. I was looking for feedback on a larger watch.
Thank you for the response though. Hope you have a great evening.
Old 12 May 2020, 11:47 AM   #4
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
The SD is 43mm - there's plenty of info and real-life photos of it on the forum.
Personally I find 40mm Rolex models too small, but if you love the watch maybe try wearing it for a month and see if you become accustomed to it. If not, there are plenty of other options - the SD 43mm and the DSSD (Deep Sea) 44mm for starters.
Old 12 May 2020, 11:50 AM   #5
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
The SD is 43mm - there's plenty of info and real-life photos of it on the forum.
Personally I find 40mm Rolex models too small, but if you love the watch maybe try wearing it for a month and see if you become accustomed to it. If not, there are plenty of other options - the SD and the DSSD (Deep Sea) for starters.
Thank you. I did find a deep sea which from the information I can find is 44 mm?
I am awaiting a response from the seller. It really is a personal preference. Thanks again.
Old 12 May 2020, 11:53 AM   #6
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47Fountain View Post
Thank you. I did find a deep sea which from the information I can find is 44 mm?
I am awaiting a response from the seller. It really is a personal preference. Thanks again.
Yes, the SD is 43mm and the Deep Sea is 44mm.
Plenty of threads about both on the forum, but best to try for yourself if possible (appreciate this is not easy, especially at the moment).
Old 12 May 2020, 11:54 AM   #7
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
I have watches from 34mm to 47mm. Some watches I like big, some small . Dive watches I like large , my dive watches range from 42 mm to 47 mm . I think my Sea Dweller 43 is great dive watch size . My daily watch is a 38.5 mm Breitling Blackbird Chronomat .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 12:04 PM   #8
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Many who feel that a slightly smaller watch is too small for them after wearing pie-tin sizes, don't really see themselves the way the rest of us do.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 12:14 PM   #9
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Transitioning from larger to smaller watches takes time. Eventually your sense of proportion will adjust, unless you have a really large wrist.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 12:51 PM   #10
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

I have a 7 3/4” wrist. I had a 44mm steel Panerai and loved it. Bought a 47mm Titanium Panerai and loved it.
I bought the 44mm DSSD and loved it but it’s sheer height/thickness is a lot. I just traded my Panerai’s in for a 40mm Yachtmaster and love it. I have a 45.5mm planet ocean which is great and more comfortable than the DSSD because it’s a lot less thick.
You really have to try these watches on to truly get a sense for them. The DSSD is big, and while it’s size doesn’t bother me, it’s thickness does to some degree.
I now find myself gravitating to the Yachtmaster more than anything I had.

I hope that helps a little.

~Pat
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 12:53 PM   #11
kumar75203
Banned

Yes

43mm is indeed bigger than 40mm
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 12:57 PM   #12
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

You started with a 40mm, I started with a 34mm Rolex on a 7 1/4" wrist. Going up to a 40mm for me was like strapping on a dinner plate. Now im up to 41mm and 43mm which is perfect for my wrist size.
Old 12 May 2020, 01:21 PM   #13
Billfish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date, Panda
I have worn a Submariner for over 20 years- purchased the 43mm SD a few months back and love the way it fits and looks. Many will say its too big and heavy, but its a personal preference and if you feel you want a tad bigger than the 40mm Sub, the SD 43 is a great choice. Best of luck to you
Billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 01:23 PM   #14
campfire
"TRF" Member

Yep, the SD and DSSD are definitely the ones to try on. I guess Exp2 is also worth looking at if you like the style.

If you're not set on Rolex, something from IWC could be worth considering.

Hope this helps.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 03:11 PM   #15
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
What about the YM2?
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:09 AM   #16
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
i know your situation. i also started with mostly 33mm range watches. they seemed more or less ok until i started trying on bigger watches.
i have owned up to a 47mm watch, which felt ok, but with a 7 7/8 wrist and healthy blue collar forearms, 43mm seems more my sweet spot. i am ok with a 40mm sub, and yachtmaster, but not a DD or daytona.
different dial/bezel/case/lug to lug dimensions/even colors will all affect the look/feel of the watch.
anyway, that sub is a great watch and i'd recommend keeping it. and get in to some stores and try a bunch on. pictures online didn't help me all that much.
enjoy the hunt brother
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:17 AM   #17
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

Having been in a similar situation before I'd say the SD43 and DSSD are worth looking at. Though fair warning the DSSD is thick. The diameter is not such a big deal as the thickness/chunkiness of the watch itself. The SD43 really seems to have nailed all the ideal proportions down well as it sits at an excellent middle ground between the Sub and the DSSD. As others have mentioned check the forum for pictures, reviews etc.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:28 AM   #18
gttime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrissteve11 View Post
Having been in a similar situation before I'd say the SD43 and DSSD are worth looking at. Though fair warning the DSSD is thick. The diameter is not such a big deal as the thickness/chunkiness of the watch itself. The SD43 really seems to have nailed all the ideal proportions down well as it sits at an excellent middle ground between the Sub and the DSSD. As others have mentioned check the forum for pictures, reviews etc.

Agree with everything said. I own both the SD43 and the new DSSD. Both great watches. Wish the Pepsi would fit but it won’t. If they ever put a gmt in the sd43 case I’d own it.
gttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:30 AM   #19
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Something similar happened to me the day I decided to visit Rolex Boutique to buy my first Rolex.
All the models i drooled over their pictures on Rolex website looked surprisingly too small in the metal. Dreaming of that BLRO gone with the wind...Then I tried the Sea Dweller 43, the rest is history.
Old 13 May 2020, 12:53 AM   #20
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Watch I wear at the moment is 46 m/m, (9 inch wrist) trying to get my first Rolex ie Sub date at 40 m/m but reading through the forum now trying for the SD43, but won’t turn down the Sub if it comes up first.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 12:55 AM   #21
M45
Banned

It's big compared to older five digit subs, but that's mostly the case. It has a small dial that the bezel makes up for.

I have huge wrists and prefer 42 or 44mm watches, but I'm old enough to remember when big men wore tiny watches not these cartoonishly large Panerai.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 01:31 AM   #22
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I think the bigger watch is a fashion trend that will reverse at some point. I bought my 36mm DJ in 1984 and it was massive at the time - particularly on my 7 inch wrist. The bigger watches do have a practical side as we age we need larger watches, but I think the demand/interest in 34mm watches will return. It may take decades.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 01:35 AM   #23
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The Sea Dweller is also much thicker. It really is a big watch.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 01:39 AM   #24
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Chapeau
Old 13 May 2020, 01:43 AM   #25
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
I think the bigger watch is a fashion trend that will reverse at some point. I bought my 36mm DJ in 1984 and it was massive at the time - particularly on my 7 inch wrist. The bigger watches do have a practical side as we age we need larger watches, but I think the demand/interest in 34mm watches will return. It may take decades.
I think the "big watch trend" may have peaked about 5 years ago.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 01:50 AM   #26
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I was in the same boat. Loved my old GMT but thought it wore too small. I switched to a SD43 a couple years ago and never looked back.

If you love a Sub but think it's too small, the Sea Dweller is the obvious answer!
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 01:55 AM   #27
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

I am a huge mammal--well over 300lbs with a 9" wrist. I enjoy both my Sub and DSSD JC edition. Wear my Sub a majority of the time. Love them both but if was a one watch guy would easily stay with the Sub.
B2 Stealth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 02:31 AM   #28
pbubsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I'm a big dude and used to only wear larger watches (44mm-47mm). I got in to smaller watches when I gave the submariner a shot. Loved it but was a bit redundant with my DSSD and SD43. Ended up trading it and picking up an Explorer 1 from my AD. Fits the simple, no date bill perfectly and gave some more variety to my collection. Even with an 8" wrist, I don't think it looks too small. I even go from my 39mm Explorer to a 47mm Panerai sub and it's not wierd jumping between the big size difference. Variety is the spice of life!
pbubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 02:49 AM   #29
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
Wear what you like. I go from 34 to 45 mm. Even the biggest Rolex is not really that big. There are 50mm+ watches out there. Breitling, Bell & Ross, Richard Mille, etc. Lots of good brands out there with big watches, bigger than Rolex. Lots of Hublots, AP.

Last edited by Watch Rob; 13 May 2020 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect.
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 02:50 AM   #30
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Sent you a pm, opposite feeling of you with my recent purchase maybe a trade opportunity!
ScottishRolex is offline   Reply With Quote