The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 May 2018, 12:23 PM   #61
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJitz View Post
Dmash, this pigeonholing is the main issue. I happen to think <40mm watches look better on nearly every wrist but I'm not going to class >40mm watches as only for men, or only for large men.
I can understand, however even the manufacturers are classing them this way.

Omega PO39.5 woman, 43.5 man
Rolex OP34 woman, OP39 man
AP Royal Oak 37 woman, Royal Oak 41 man

It exists from them, so you’re essentially shooting the messenger...
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 12:34 PM   #62
EDL7
"TRF" Member

It's all in perception..which changes from time to time..
Years ago..the best watches were the thinnest and smaller in diameter..
Then big fat ones came into being..as cool..
This trend was a big profit increase for both the manufacturers and the AD's..
Sell em bigger watches..at a higher cost..
Not the tiny ones..
But it will ...like anything else..shift back and forth over time..
I think it's shifting back for smaller watches to be more acceptable for men again..albeit slowly..in a smaller demographic..
This is all manipulation on a certain level..esp by fashion trends..which dictate cultural reactions..and need cyclic change..to remain relevant..
I'm sure manufacturers would like to sell you 40+mm watches all day long....its just economics..as in..make more $$..off the public..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 12:37 PM   #63
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I can understand, however even the manufacturers are classing them this way.

Omega PO39.5 woman, 43.5 man
Rolex OP34 woman, OP39 man
AP Royal Oak 37 woman, Royal Oak 41 man

It exists from them, so you’re essentially shooting the messenger...
You linked a specific women's variant of the 39.5mm Planet Ocean - below is another sku with no mention of gender.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...21533402001001

The OP34 is definitely not marketed exclusively to women, and I don't believe AP advertises the 15450 as being a women's watch, either.
PJitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 12:38 PM   #64
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You linked a specific women's varient of the 39.5mm Planet Ocean - below is the another sku with no mention of gender.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...21533402001001

The OP34 is definitely not marketed exclusively to women, and I don't believe AP advertises the 15450 as being a women's watch, either.
Rolex- Go to ‘men’s watches’ on Rolex, OP34 is not found, go to ‘woman’s watches’, it is found. I included a link in my previous post.

AP-The 15450 was marketed as a woman’s watch in certain literature directly from AP. They may have changed it, but it definitely was a woman’s watch to begin with. Also if you filter the website to women’s pieces, it shows the 15450

Omega- taken directly from their website: ‘....pioneering spirit is enhanced even further in the 39.5 mm ladies’ models’. I’d say that pretty definitively states the 39.5mm planet ocean is a ladies model...

I’m all for free thinking and/or opinions on which sizes look the best, but you guys are continuously stating things as fact which are not.....
Old 28 May 2018, 12:45 PM   #65
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Imagine...if they can get women..to buy big clunker watches too...(hahaha..they are...)
That's even more $$ for them..
Manufacturers pray for this..!
Bigger bigger bigger..is better...
They have to know...this aint gonna last forever..
People are sooner or later... eventually going to buy for comfort..and guess what...that's a smaller watch..
Old 28 May 2018, 12:50 PM   #66
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex- Go to ‘men’s watches’ on Rolex, OP34 is not found, go to ‘woman’s watches’, it is found. I included a link in my previous post.

I won't pretend most men browsing for a watch on rolex.com are going to want to be pointed towards a 34mm watch. Either way, 34mm OPs and Dates are classed as 'midsize oyster' by Rolex.

AP-The 15450 was marketed as a woman’s watch in certain literature directly from AP. They may have changed it, but it definitely was a woman’s watch to begin with. Also if you filter the website to women’s pieces, it shows the 15450

I'm not aware of the previous marketing AP used for the 15450, but it's pretty clear they're avoiding classing the model as either a ladies model or a men's model on the current product page - smart move.

Omega- taken directly from their website: ‘....pioneering spirit is enhanced even further in the 39.5 mm ladies’ models’. I’d say that pretty definitively states the 39.5mm planet ocean is a ladies model...

Come on, you took this from the ladies specific PO 39. Let's not stretch the truth for the sake of solidifying your point.

I’m all for free thinking and/or opinions on which sizes look the best, but you guys are stating things as fact which are not.....
See red
Old 28 May 2018, 12:52 PM   #67
PJitz
"TRF" Member

We're getting off topic. OP, the 39 will look great on your wrist but I think the 34 would look better.
Old 28 May 2018, 12:52 PM   #68
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

39mm should look good on you but if it didn't I'd drop down to 36mm and not 34mm.
Old 28 May 2018, 12:56 PM   #69
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See red
Lol you can’t be serious. It’s almost pointless to even respond if that’s how you’re going to interpret factual evidence from the manufacturers’ websites.

Rolex website has definitive separate pages of ‘women’s watches’ and ‘men’s watches’ and you try to say that’s not adequate and it’s meaningless. Then why would they even have those pages? You realize how silly that sounds right?

Omega’s page literally lists the 39.5mm case size in that watch as being made especially for women, and you want to claim that’s just not true either. You understand that it says 39.5mm ladies’ models? That encompasses the entire model line.

This is just getting tiresome at this point. Think as you want, as I stated prior, all you’re doing is shooting the messenger. I’ve backed up every point I’ve made with factual examples, at the end of th day all you and Douglas could counter with are baseless opinions....not going to argue with you
Old 28 May 2018, 12:58 PM   #70
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Imagine..if the big watch trend..suddenly just dies..then all the people with large watches..will be stuck with them..and feel out of place in public..like platform shoes..and bell bottoms..
Sorta like when..small watches suddenly were not the "in" thing for men anymore..the watches went into drawers..unused for years..
It could happen..
People are starting to take them out of storage again...prices are rising..
See Theo & Harris...
Making for a trend...and profiting off of that trend...34mm..being the new "hip" thing..
Buy vintage..buy small..be ...hip..!
And marketing smaller sizes..to the young crowd..who are snapping them up..
Something to think about..
Old 28 May 2018, 12:59 PM   #71
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol you can’t be serious. It’s almost pointless to even respond if that’s how you’re going to interpret factual evidence from the manufacturers’ websites.

A website has definitive separate pages of ‘women’s watches’ and ‘men’s watches’ and you try to say that’s not adequate. Another company’s page literally lists the 39.5mm case size in that watch as being made especially for women, and you want to claim that’s just not true either. You do realize it says 39.5mm ladies’ models right? That encompasses the entire model line.

This is just getting tiresome at this point. Think as you want, as I stated prior, all you’re doing is shooting the messenger. I’ve backed up every point I’ve made with factual examples, at the end of th day all you and Douglas could counter with are baseless opinions....not going to argue with you

Selective factual evidence doesn't mean anything. Let's stop before you get more aggressive.
Old 28 May 2018, 01:03 PM   #72
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Selective factual evidence doesn't mean anything. Let's stop before you get more aggressive.
Typical response from an individual who’d can’t find the strength to admit he or she is mistaken

And FYI, your understanding of ‘selective factual evidence’ isn’t up to speed. Me supplying direct evidence for the question at hand is appropriate in this context
Old 28 May 2018, 01:06 PM   #73
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Typical response from an individual who’d can’t find the strength to admit he or she is mistaken

And FYI, your understanding of ‘selective factual evidence’ isn’t up to speed. Me supplying direct evidence for the question at hand is appropriate in this context

I'm not sure how linking a 39.5 specifically targeted ladies piece and ignoring the unisex variant is not selective. This is pointless.
Old 28 May 2018, 01:13 PM   #74
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how linking a 39.5 specifically targeted ladies piece and ignoring the unisex variant is not selective. This is pointless.
I’m not sure how Rolex having a page ‘women’s watches’ where an OP34 is found and a page ‘men’s watches’ where an OP34 isn’t found, is argued by you as not being sound and logical proof that Rolex is classifying said watch as a woman’s model. You’re right, this is pointless.
Old 28 May 2018, 01:19 PM   #75
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not sure how Rolex having a page ‘women’s watches’ where an OP34 is found and a page ‘men’s watches’ where an OP34 isn’t found, is argued by you as not being sound and logical proof that Rolex is classifying said watch as a woman’s model. You’re right, this is pointless.
You're right, Rolex points customers looking for men's watches towards the larger pieces in their catalogue - shocking.

I'll go about my day enjoying my 36mm watch without concern for how my manhood is represented, well done on turning another conversation hostile.
Old 28 May 2018, 01:23 PM   #76
michael8238
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing
I think you can handle the 34mm no problem---I feel quite comfortable rocking a 34mm Air King or a 35mm C cased Omega Constellation on my 7" wrist.
michael8238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 01:24 PM   #77
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're right, Rolex points customers looking for men's watches towards the larger pieces in their catalogue - shocking.

I'll go about my day enjoying my 36mm watch without concern for how my manhood is represented, well done on turning another conversation hostile.
And yet still can’t admit.....the fact is.....it’s classified as a woman’s watch. This is like arguing that a pair of women’s jeans you want to buy, are not women’s jeans, simply because you like them. They’re still women’s jeans....

I wish you a splendid day
Old 28 May 2018, 02:46 PM   #78
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I wear a 34mm Rolex Airking 14000M. I have simular wrist size to you, wears incredibly comfortably and looks good.
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 02:49 PM   #79
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
And yet still can’t admit.....the fact is.....it’s classified as a woman’s watch. This is like arguing that a pair of women’s jeans you want to buy, are not women’s jeans, simply because you like them. They’re still women’s jeans....

I wish you a splendid day
34mm was always traditionally a mens size watch. These days it is classified as "unisex", however still think it is leaning more towards men than women.

Remember, RAF pilots donned the 34mm Airking during WW2. So arguably, 34mm is the most manly sized rolex ever made.

I personally think women should not go above 31mm. But that's just me.
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 04:08 PM   #80
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I still vote “women’s” 34mm:

douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 05:16 PM   #81
juanwinston
"TRF" Member

tried the 34mm the other day and surprised on how comfortable it is and the presence on the wrist. Another vote for the 34mm!
juanwinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 06:13 PM   #82
iero
"TRF" Member

34 no doubt
iero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 06:59 PM   #83
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
And (reverting back to the first statement you disagreed with) yet not a single example of one under 38mm?

Also, you truly just reiterated my entire point further. The planet ocean is in 39.5 and 43.5, you are correct.....and guess what....the former is a woman’s watch. So I guess Omega feels their flagship diver should be 43.5mm for a man.

In case you need proof:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...ection/product
Quote:
Follow up your rude comment of saying I’m living in 2009 with a shot at me being ‘new money’. Classy, when all I’ve done is give you clear cut examples that manufacturers are not producing anything under 38mm for men anymore.

Oh and by the way.....I believe Rolex should have the title ‘new money/new enthusiast’ as well. Guess who lists the OP34 definitively as a woman’s watch on their website?

https://m.rolex.com/watches/find-rolex/woman.html

It's marketing departments targeting current trends. Nothing more, nothing less.

Its the same in the motor industry. Marketing departments dictate stylistic features like larger wheels and lower profile tires even if the engineers would prefer something that would deliver better a better ride/handling balance.

Its not right or wrong. Its not the truth or a lie, it's just the current trend and how these watches are marketed.

And if you care to look further into both examples you've cited is support of your position you would see that whilst Omega may also list the smaller PO under a ladies collection heading, that is entirely down to the materials used for those pieces not the size. They have produced more adorned versions for the female market. Guess what....The SS 39mm PO is not listed as a woman's watch

Likewise Rolex. The 34 is not a woman's watch, its simply included in the listings of Rolex timepieces that Rolex consider may be suitable for/more appealing to a female purchaser.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 07:08 PM   #84
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Few observations:

Go OP 36. Check the previous models, dial is different, explorer dial
or the same as the ones you like on the 34mm.

That would be the perfect size. Getting the right size is very important on the long run. Watch needs to
be comfortable and easy to read. The love for a dial can change but the feel
on the wrist doesn’t.

Also, you mentioned hot day. OP clasp doesn’t come with easylink extension. You might need that for hot/cold days.

If you go 39mm, get the Explorer 1. Otherwise, OP 36mm for sure. I had it, it is superb and well balanced size wise.

34mm on vintage, Yes.
34mm on a modern (sport) model, No. (unless your wrist is as my daughter’s). It is not a female’s watch but it suits better small wrists.
Old 28 May 2018, 07:44 PM   #85
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Few observations:

Go OP 36. Check the previous models, dial is different, explorer dial
or the same as the ones you like on the 34mm.

That would be the perfect size. Getting the right size is very important on the long run. Watch needs to
be comfortable and easy to read. The love for a dial can change but the feel
on the wrist doesn’t.

Also, you mentioned hot day. OP clasp doesn’t come with easylink extension. You might need that for hot/cold days.

If you go 39mm, get the Explorer 1. Otherwise, OP 36mm for sure. I had it, it is superb and well balanced size wise.

34mm on vintage, Yes.
34mm on a modern (sport) model, No. (unless your wrist is as my daughter’s). It is not a female’s watch but it suits better small wrists.
Finally, from the depths below.......a man rises with a ton of sense

The entire point I was making from the beginning
Old 28 May 2018, 07:48 PM   #86
SearChart
TechXpert

I went with the 34, perfect size and dial. I have 6.5" wrists.

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 08:38 PM   #87
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
I have small 6 inch flat wrists and own 42 pelagos , 40 gmt , 39 OP , 36 dd and yes 34 OP. They all look smashing on my wrists however comparing both 39 and 34 OP I prefer 34 because its perfectly balanced and I prefer its thickness and clutter free dials and oh did I even mention the Olive green is hypnotic.
40mm serves well with sporty versions hence my DD or Dj which have dates I opted for 36mm. OP is a pure classy under stated watch which only few people understand. 34 mm is so comfortable and gives you that vintage feel. OP 34 is great watch for male and female.
Old 28 May 2018, 09:45 PM   #88
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
39 since 36 is not an option.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 12:09 AM   #89
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is, in this current era of maxi-cases, the 34mm OP fits closer to the old 36mm DateJusts with regular lugs. The 34mm OP isn’t as small as something like the old 34mm Air King/Date.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 01:01 AM   #90
jjlawrence
"TRF" Member

I appreciate all of the great conversation everybody. Keep it coming. The more I look, the more I think the crown is too small on the 34mm. Maybe it's not very noticeable in person. I've worn Subs and the 16570 polar Explorer and thought they looked decent, so I can't imagine the 39mm will be a terrible fit or ridiculous looking on my smaller wrist.

Crown proportions:
jjlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote