The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 November 2021, 03:56 AM   #1
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Kevin and Teddy Visit F.P. Journe

vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 04:08 AM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

If I worked at FPJ, I would make sure Kevin NEVER received another piece.

He doesn’t really care about the brand; he puts pieces in the vault and sees them almost entirely as financial products.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 04:23 AM   #3
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Like that Laurent stated in the end that they are meant to be worn and not fragile
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 04:31 AM   #4
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
If I worked at FPJ, I would make sure Kevin NEVER received another piece.

He doesn’t really care about the brand; he puts pieces in the vault and sees them almost entirely as financial products.
His knowledge regarding watches in general seems to be somewhat superficial after watching that video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Like that Laurent stated in the end they are meant to be worn and not fragile
Exactly. I couldn’t help but notice that Laurent seemed uncomfortable whenever Kevin would mention investments, especially towards early part of the video.
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 05:43 AM   #5
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
I couldn’t help but notice that Laurent seemed uncomfortable whenever Kevin would mention investments, especially towards early part of the video.
Fully agree - He certainly didn't see them as investments. Also wish that they would have let him talk a little more, as Kevin cut him off a few times
Old 17 November 2021, 06:31 AM   #6
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Kevin and Teddy Visit F.P. Journe

Mr wonderful is annoying but we already knew that. That TN on bracelet was cool and they had an astronomic on hand so all in all worth watching. The only thing worse would have been producer Michael visits FPJ lol
Old 17 November 2021, 07:37 AM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Bummer, and I can see why FPJ himself wasn't on camera. All that access and that's how Kevin invests his/our time at FP Journe.

He's dead to me!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 08:30 AM   #8
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

The unfortunate downside of a brand becoming popular is the influx of faux watch enthusiasts who are in it for the investment potential or to impress people.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:26 AM   #9
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
His knowledge regarding watches in general seems to be somewhat superficial after watching that video.

Exactly. I couldn’t help but notice that Laurent seemed uncomfortable whenever Kevin would mention investments, especially towards early part of the video.

He is. And his French collezion really bugs me…
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 09:52 AM   #10
2024 Pledge Member

Kevin seems like the type who an FPJ boutique would (hopefully) weed out as a buyer. Let him buy grey, install a red strap and stash them in a green safe.

I miss the old days when discussions were about the design, movement, history, and in this case the actual watchmaker... and no one ever mentioned the I-word.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 10:19 AM   #11
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
takes a real WIS to say people arent fans. this hobby is starting to stink. im not an oleary fan but come on. who cares if one's watch knowledge is subpar to yours?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 11:10 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
takes a real WIS to say people arent fans. this hobby is starting to stink. im not an oleary fan but come on. who cares if one's watch knowledge is subpar to yours?

Because he’s braggadocious about his collection and virtually only focuses on return on investment. It’s fine because that’s his character he plays on TV and maybe it’s who he is and maybe it’s not.

I’m guessing if there was no financial upside he’d be wearing a Pam on an ugly red strap and that would’ve been the end of it.
Old 17 November 2021, 11:33 AM   #13
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Because he’s braggadocious about his collection and virtually only focuses on return on investment. It’s fine because that’s his character he plays on TV and maybe it’s who he is and maybe it’s not.

I’m guessing if there was no financial upside he’d be wearing a Pam on an ugly red strap and that would’ve been the end of it.
He owns a Pam on ugly red strap

I guess I am simply over the attitude of old watch owners versus new school price and hype driven ones. I don't buy into either being more valid. I mean when the hobby reverts the remaining hobbiests will be those that remained before for the most part. But the days of hearing complaints about PCLs aren't ones I long for either.

I mean you and I both know that there are many people who play off like they don't care for hype yet still buy and own hype pieces. I think Rolex selling point has always been it holds its value. I sure knew that when I got into it years before this all began.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 11:38 AM   #14
TheMuffinator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think my bigger issue with him is that he kept just trying to bring up the investment side of it. It really seemed that he only cared about how much money someone can make off of them rather than the watches themselves. I liked how Teddy was trying to ask questions about how the watches worked.
TheMuffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 12:43 PM   #15
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The only thing worse would have been producer Michael visits FPJ lol
Don’t open the Champagne quite yet. With the way the hype is going, we all know he’s only weeks away from catching on.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 01:19 PM   #16
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
The lack of knowledge doesn't bother me. What is annoying is that every watch that was shown, Kevin always talked about investment.

When Kevin ask Laurent how much that one platinum watch was worth, it was like wtf. Why would Laurent care what it's selling for on the secondary market? He's not a GM dealer.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 01:52 PM   #17
2024 Pledge Member

Exactly. Kevin started the video and at less than a minute in said we all love watches for their art and their investment.

No. No we don't.

If someone buys because a brand holds value, fine. If they buy because of hype, also fine. But, it's those who are buying FPJ to throw them in a safe, never to be worn, and perhaps someday pass onto the next person at an investment-grade profit that sours anyone who is a longtime fan of FPJ.

I'm sure KOL knows a decent amount about FPJ. However, his premise that we're all here for the investment is flawed at best.

This is why boutiques now intervew prospective buyers. Since production volume is so low (sub 1000 units per annum) they're actively trying to put watches into the hands of buyers who will wear them rather than throw them in a safe or flip them for immediate gain. Kevin's mention of investment is exactly why Laurent winces so many times in the video.

IMO, FPJ deserves the hype they're finally getting. But, also IMO, they don't deserve to be flocked by "investors."
Old 17 November 2021, 01:54 PM   #18
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Not sure why all this hating on Kevin. Obviously FPJ is an investment piece for most people. Anyone follow the only watch auction or the Philips auction where an empty wooden FPJ watch went for over $100k. Having watched many of Kevin’s videos he knows watches and his watch buying philosophy is value and ROI. I hope one day I could get to the point where I could invest in a watch brand that I could buy 4 watches right off the bat

If Laurant really meant what he said about trying to get access for everyone to the watches, how about they release a sub $10k watch. Look at the classifieds here, there is an F.P. Blue going for almost $100k.
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 02:59 PM   #19
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Lol….Laurent’s body language is very uncomfortable in the beginning; he doesn’t need KOL spouting about the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 03:18 PM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
If Laurant really meant what he said about trying to get access for everyone to the watches, how about they release a sub $10k watch.
Old 17 November 2021, 05:33 PM   #21
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Obviously FPJ is an investment piece for most people. Anyone follow the only watch auction or the Philips auction where an empty wooden FPJ watch went for over $100k.
Was for charity and hence would not have fetched that amount in a normal setting
Old 17 November 2021, 07:14 PM   #22
walds11
"TRF" Member

I feel bad for Teddy in this video. Was he just along for the ride?
Old 17 November 2021, 07:16 PM   #23
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure why all this hating on Kevin. Obviously FPJ is an investment piece for most people. Anyone follow the only watch auction or the Philips auction where an empty wooden FPJ watch went for over $100k. Having watched many of Kevin’s videos he knows watches and his watch buying philosophy is value and ROI. I hope one day I could get to the point where I could invest in a watch brand that I could buy 4 watches right off the bat
Well said. Kevin isn’t a bad guy. He’s also quite entertaining to watch.
Old 17 November 2021, 11:57 PM   #24
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
I guess Mr Kevin ran out of business ideas ;) And now watches watches watches.
Old 18 November 2021, 08:22 PM   #25
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Didn't Kevin O'Leary do a video, a few years ago, about how excited he was to get a Patek 5711?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2021, 01:02 AM   #26
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Didn't Kevin O'Leary do a video, a few years ago, about how excited he was to get a Patek 5711?
Yeah and he couldn't even get the reference number right. I remember he called it a 7511
Old 19 November 2021, 03:28 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

There's a wonderful bright spot to all this.

Let this be a lesson to all independent watchmakers about Kevin. Richemont should immediately hire Kevin, he's right up their business alley.

And Kevin if you happen to be reading this, a bit more about the art, craftsmanship... and especially the passionate people to bring it to life.

If you just want to raise the perceived value of your net worth, go Crypto and walk away happy. If it's a status thing, go back on CNBC and enjoy seeing yourself on camera. You and Cramer should be good buddies by now. Or because you're both so alike that....

Kevin has the ability to positively change people's lives for the better. Kevin, look in the mirror and ask yourself how have you used your influence for the good of the world today.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 19 November 2021, 05:30 AM   #28
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Let this be a lesson to all independent watchmakers about Kevin. Richemont should immediately hire Kevin, he's right up their business alley.
Just don't let him touch VC or Lange! We don't need either of them ruined.
Old 19 November 2021, 05:43 AM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Just don't let him touch VC or Lange! We don't need either of them ruined.
But they need to sell more limited edition lume watches, only if you buy 512 others first. Kevin is a great pitch guy, he's hireable too.

Old 19 November 2021, 06:13 AM   #30
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
But they need to sell more limited edition lume watches, only if you buy 512 others first. Kevin is a great pitch guy, he's hireable too.
512 just gets your name on the interest list...