The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 22 April 2014, 02:36 PM   #1
The Archer

Watch: G-Shock!
Icon10 A Clockwork Orange: A review of the Seiko Orange Monster

Hey guys Just thought I'd show off my latest acquisition, this watch was actually a gift from my wonderful girlfriend ~ It's the first gen Orange Monster, reference SKX781(K3).

I've read nothing but good things about this watch, and upon receiving it, I realized why it's an icon and a forum favorite.

First and foremost, this generation of Seiko's legendary Monster uses the in-house 7S26 movement, which is a 21 jewel Japanese automatic that runs at 21,600 BPH. A key difference between this movement and the Miyota 8215 that was in the Invicta that I reviewed a couple years ago is that the rotor on the 7S26 winds bidirectionally, versus unidirectionally on the Invicta. This makes the watch much more efficient, and it also happens to be much quieter too (The Miyota has a very loud rotor, but that may just be due to the fact that the Invicta has a glass caseback versus a solid stainless steel caseback). So far, it is currently running -7 seconds a day, which is an improvement over the -15 seconds a day when I first received the watch. It doesn't hack or handwind (although the newer generation of Monster, the SRP series, possesses a movement that does). The 7S26 is, as mentioned above, an in-house movement, i.e. it is designed and manufactured by Seiko themselves and not a third party. I really liked this feature (if you could call it that) as I don't know any other brand that uses in-house mechanical movements at this price range other than Seiko and Orient. I know it's just pure perception, but to me an in-house movement is something that I appreciate as it seems a lot less "copy and paste" and more of a fully thought out product. Anyways the 7S26 is a relatively simple movement, displaying the time along with a day/date complication and is most commonly seen in the Seiko 5 collection. The day/date complication has a few interesting quirks; The day can be displayed in either English or Spanish, and weekends are displayed in different colors. Saturday shows up as SAT and Sunday shows up as SUN. The other quirk is that to adjust the day and the date, you would pull out the crown two clicks and twist it clockwise to adjust the day of the week, and counterclockwise to change the date. Kinda neat. The date changes gradually and then flicks over within five minutes of midnight. Finally, the 7S26 has 45 hours of power reserve, which is acceptable to me~ the watch hasn't wound all the way down since I've gotten it (granted I wear it almost every day).

Now, the dial. The aptly named Orange Monster has a dial the shade of.... *drum roll*...... Orange! And it's a beautiful shade of orange too. The dial has a chapter ring that surrounds the rectangular indices, which gives it a cool three-dimensional effect. I have to say, if you don't like your watch getting lots of attention, then the orange dial isn't for you. Seiko also makes a Black Monster which is equally awesome to the orange model and is the more conservative choice. This thing seems to turn heads wherever it goes, and so far I have received far more compliments on it then any other watch I own. The dial is highly legible and time can be told at a glance, thanks to the contrast and the hands, which are pretty cool~ Whenever the hour and minute hands line up, the watch yields a pretty trick looking rocketship on the dial. I have checked the time several times (pun not intended)to be greeted by a cartoon-like rocket and it makes me smile whenever I see it:

While we're on the subject of the dial, I want to say a couple of words about the lume. I know that this watch has been reviewed countless times and is known for its lume, but it is simply astounding, I cannot overstate it. It uses a compound called "LumiBrite" which glows like a torch after even a brief touch of sunshine. There is no doubt in my mind that it will last through a movie at the cinema, in fact you might even want to leave it at home because it shines like a beacon. The paint is applied evenly and there is a luminescent dot at 12'o clock on the bezel which shines with the same intensity as the hands and indices. Bad picture, but you get the idea: I'm also told that the new SRP Monsters have even better luminosity, although I have yet to see for myself. That must've been a tough act to follow after the SKX series.

The bezel is fantastic. It has just the right amount of force needed and no excessive play. It's a 120 click unidirectional bezel that is protected by the case by a sort of "Shroud", which is the best way to describe it. Other than giving the watch a unique look, it also protects against dings and scrapes. I am quite fond of the indicators on the bezel as well, which are very neatly designed and filled with black paint. I also like how at every five minute interval the bezel lines up perfectly with the case, and provides for an easy and secure grip on the bezel. You know that a diver has had a hand in designing this bezel~ it is easy to grip, easy to turn, and is highly legible.

The crown is a rather simple affair, located at four o'clock so it doesn't dig into the wrist. It is of a ribbed design and is devoid of any logos~ this is a dedicated diver's watch after all, no frills necessary. It is screw down and pops open with a satisfying click when unscrewed, and has three positions: The first, a neutral mode that doesn't do anything (I presume this mode would be used to hack and handwind the movement in the newer SRP Monsters); The second, which uses that neat aforementioned alternative twist system to adjust the day and the date; and finally the third mode, which is used to adjust the time. The crown bites onto the threads hard when it is screwed down, and ensures that no water enters the case.

The case seems to draw mixed opinions. Some say it's ugly because it has notches in it and has that shroud that I mentioned earlier, others, such as myself, love it. At 43 mm, it sits comfortably on the wrist and stays secure. It's a solid piece of 316L Stainless Steel with a screw-down caseback that sports a cool tsunami motif, which is used by Seiko on their professional line of dive watches such as the SKX007/009, Sumo, etc. It provides the movement with 200 meters of ISO 6425 water resistance, which is implied by the use of the words "Diver's 200M" on the dial. This feature, along with the in-house movement, really makes this watch a great value. For a watch to display the word "Diver's" on the dial it must comply to this ISO 6425 standard, which is a lot more rigorous than your run of the mill 100 meters of water resistance. These are the requirements that a diving watch must meet or exceed to be certified for SCUBA diving:

The presence of a unidirectional bezel with at least at every 5 minutes elapsed minute markings and a pre-select marker to mark a specific minute marking.
The presence of clearly distinguishable minute markings on the watch face.
Adequate readability/visibility at 25 cm (9.8 in) in total darkness.
The presence of an indication that the watch is running in total darkness. This is usually indicated by a running second hand with a luminous tip or tail.
Magnetic resistance. This is tested by 3 expositions to a direct current magnetic field of 4,800 A/m. The watch must keep its accuracy to ± 30 seconds/day as measured before the test despite the magnetic field.
Shock resistance. This is tested by two shocks (one on the 9 o'clock side, and one to the crystal and perpendicular to the face). The shock is usually delivered by a hard plastic hammer mounted as a pendulum, so as to deliver a measured amount of energy, specifically, a 3 kg hammer with an impact velocity of 4.43 m/s. The change in rate allowed is ± 60 seconds/day.
Chemical resistance. This is tested by immersion in a 30 g/l NaCl solution for 24 hours to test its rust resistance. This test water solution has a salinity comparable to normal seawater.
Strap/band solidity. This is tested by applying a force of 200 N (45 lbf) to each spring bar (or attaching point) in opposite directions with no damage to the watch or attachment point.
The presence of an End Of Life (EOL) indicator on battery powered watches.

Now, I am probably never going to go two hundred meters underwater. But I think that it's nice to know that should I choose too, my watch will be up to the task. The case, bezel, and crown possess a mix of brushed and polished finishes, which provides for a nice contrast. My only complaint with the case is that the polished segments of the finish do seem to be overly done and a little cheap looking, but this watch still remains an absolute bargain for what you get. And my favorite feature of the case? Drilled lugs! This is my first watch with lug holes and it should make strap changing a breeze.

Speaking of straps, mine came with the vented OEM rubber strap (hence the K3 designation in the reference number. I believe that SKX781K1 is the same model but with a stainless steel bracelet with a diver's extension and solid end links, which I hear is pretty good.) I do like the continuation of the Tsunami motif on the tail end of the strap, as a general nod towards just how thorough and consistent the design is. The strap is long (to facilitate the use of wearing the watch over a wetsuit) but is comfortable and has many holes for adjustment, and is of the pin and buckle type. The buckle is polished and serves as a nice, balanced contrast to the brushed portions on the side of the case. I'm thinking of picking up the OEM bracelet as well as a couple of NATOs and maybe an Isofrane later down the road, but for now I think it is great as it is.

The final part of the watch that I'd like to discuss is the crystal. It is what Seiko calls a "Hardlex" crystal, which from what I understand is a stronger variant over an average mineral crystal. It is slightly domed and because the bezel is of a concave design, it protects the crystal in the unfortunate event of dropping the watch and it landing face first. In the the three and half months that I've had this watch I can't find so much as a blemish on the crystal. Is it as good as a sapphire crystal? I wouldn't think so, but it is certainly a step up from a bog standard mineral crystal.

PROS: Gets lots of attention, is a genuine in-house, ISO 6425 compliant diver, punches well above its price point. Amazing build quality.

CONS: Gets lots of attention, looks don't appeal to everybody, polished finish does look a little cheap. Doesn't hack or handwind.

WHO IS IT FOR: Anybody looking for a reliable, bold, down to earth dive watch on a budget.

Overall I am really impressed with this timepiece, it was a wonderful birthday gift I'd recommend it to anybody and everybody who is searching for a competent dive watch.

More pics will follow tomorrow, thanks for reading!
The Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 03:42 PM   #2
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Great review. A co-worker has a black monster and I find myself constantly gazing at it in meetings.
Old 22 April 2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Tokyo Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: but don't touch
This Rolex is an obvious fake.
Tokyo Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 11:27 PM   #4
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Looks great, congrats and thanks for the write-up!

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 11:42 PM   #5
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Great review. Thanks!

Old 23 April 2014, 12:18 AM   #6
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I had that same model a while back and gave it to a friend. I missed the Monster, but decided to go with the new black dial version. The knurled crown and hacking function are nice upgrades on the new model. I do miss the blue SAT in the day window on the OM - that is a small thing, but really cool! Congrats and great review.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 02:02 AM   #7
The Archer

Watch: G-Shock!
Thanks everybody Here are some more pics~

A bad shot of the caseback

The crystal is recessed and protected by the bezel.

I love the chapter ring, far more than I thought I would. It gives the dial an additional layer of depth.

Yes, I'm aware that it clashes with my shoes, but frankly I don't care, it's a wonderful piece.

So what's on the horizon next? There's a gaping hole in my collection that would be well filled with a dressy watch, and I'm currently looking at some of the more classic Tissots, Hamiltons, and there's a Victorinox or two that I'd like to see in the flesh before I make my decision. Or I just might pick up a new SRP Black Monster to complement the orange

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments
The Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 05:58 AM   #8
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I wear the crap out of mine and I cannot imagine being a WIS without one, it is possibly the best value for your buck out here.

It's also (at least in my case) very accurate.

I had a first generation for almost 8 years and never babied it. Still looked new. It is amazing how durable that watch is!

It was a gift to me from a forum member and for Christmas last year I passed it on to another good guy to enjoy and I replaced it with the second generation.

Like Roger said, the new crown design is nice and the new dial with applied markers and ghost hand really change the look. The hacking movement is just icing on the cake!

Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2014, 06:58 AM   #9
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice review, thanks
Old 24 April 2014, 09:59 AM   #10
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Great Review! Very detailed and well written. Great pictures of both the orange and black monsters.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.... I love my Black Monster. I had an Orange one that I gave my son.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2014, 06:56 AM   #11
bde
"TRF" Member

Watch: -aholics anonymous
Great review of a cult classic.
bde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diver , monster , orange , review , seiko