The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 July 2008, 08:38 AM   #1
danpatjoe
"TRF" Member

My Grandfather's Rolex... Help!

Hello All....

This is the watch I refered to in my introduction. It was my grandfather's watch (he passed away in 1969). As far as I am aware, this is the watch he wore daily, and the signs are on it! I have been told it was a present from his wife on their wedding day back in 1934.

So, a far from mint condition watch indeed, but this one is priceless to me in sentimental value. I apologise in advance for my amateurish descriptions but I am new to this game and do not know the correct technical terms.

The watch itself, is gold, rectangular in shape with an art-deco style face. Please ignore the awful 'Multiflex' strap, I'm sure this was probably a 60's replacement. It has an independent second dial, but the hands from the main dial pass over this one unlike on the 'Prince' models.

The face itself has lost a lot of the detail/faded over time and looks like dust has gotten in behind the crystal (which itself has many small scratches), mainly at the 11 and 5 corners. It looks like a 2 tone design. The hands look to be of blued steel.
The ROLEX name has all but disappeared with only a trace of black colour remaining in the 'E'. However, when held at an angle the word is legible even to the naked eye, but extremely difficult to photograph or scan! See picture below - the 'R' looks like a 'P' in this picture, but I am positive it is an 'R', as when held differently it is visible. It is in a different font from the modern logo, without serifs.
There is no trace of any crown logo at all, and I don't believe there ever was one. No other wording visible anywhere else on the face.

The reverse of the casing has a five digit code followed underneath by a three digit and one letter code. ( I don't know if it is correct to give out this exact serial, so I will insert '?''s to cover certain numbers. -

553??
869B

It also has an personalised engraving signifying it as a gift "To D from L"
No other markings on the outside of the case, and I do not wish to open the case in fear of damaging it out of ignorance.

Can anyone out there help me with this one? Any idea which model it is?
I presume it is a genuine Rolex, and would it de-value the watch to have the face restored?
If I have overlooked anything or if you have any questions, just ask and I will try to answer them.

Thanks in advance,
Regards - Dan

danpatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Anytime somebody has an heirloom that is old and almost falls into the antique category (as opposed to vintage), I believe they should seek professional advice.

The watch is very nice but would be even nicer if it had the original strap..

A good look at the movement is necessary too.

With antique watches, a restoration can be taken to refinish the dial in period inks or colors provided knowledge of the original exists.. If brought back it would be "museum" quality as apposed to "collector" quality.. Collectors like originality, whereas museums prefer an original likeness...
Old 21 July 2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Lol-x
Facilitator

I agree with Larry that watch could really benefit from some professional TLC, and you will be amazed at what they can do by way of restoration.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2008, 07:42 AM   #4
danpatjoe
"TRF" Member

Thank you Larry and Steve,

I agree that the watch would look a whole lot better if restored, but I am very reluctant to do so, as I feel it would no longer be original. I know this is a matter of personal taste, but I have no wish to see this as a mint condition watch. In my other area of interest, militaria collecting, I have seen many old medals ruined (in my opinion) by restoration.
I would like to have it professionally cleaned and maybe serviced but that is all. And yes, that awful bracelet has to go but that is a minor issue.

Have any of you ever seen one like this before? and does anyone know the model name?

Thank you both for your help again,
Regards - Dan.
Old 22 July 2008, 08:00 AM   #5
trade333
"TRF" Member

Yes Dan I agree with you very much. If you restore it, it will feel like a different watch. I would regret that if I were you (as you pointed out yourself).
So what you want is probably cleaned and oiled, but not restored.
Won't hurt to beat the idea that everything they do except for cleaning and oiling needs to be reversable if they do it. If they replace the crystal, they need to save the original in case you want to put it back, etc etc. Hope this helps :T
trade333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
What are you planning to do with the watch?
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2008, 09:49 AM   #7
danpatjoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What are you planning to do with the watch?
I intend to hold onto it (not wear it) and eventually pass it on to one of my kids.

This is one of the reasons I have posted the topic, I would like opinions as to whether interfering with the watch would de-value it. I would also like to know more about it, ie year of manufacture and model type, purely out of curiousity - I have not seen another like it before.
Old 22 July 2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpatjoe View Post
I intend to hold onto it (not wear it) and eventually pass it on to one of my kids.

This is one of the reasons I have posted the topic, I would like opinions as to whether interfering with the watch would de-value it. I would also like to know more about it, ie year of manufacture and model type, purely out of curiousity - I have not seen another like it before.
I understand your interest in learning more about that precious watch.

I would not have it serviced at all. I would leave it exactly as it was when your grandfather last wore it, including the bracelet.

My father left me his Hamilton pocket watch. I have it in an enclosed display stand, stopped at the time of his passing.

In the end, though, it is now your watch and your choice as to what to do, if anything, in the way of restoration. Give yourself time (pun?). You can always have it restored, but if you have it restored you can not easily undo the restoration.

I would keep the current bracelet if you decide to change it.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2008, 11:02 AM   #9
mike
"TRF" Member

Boy, this is way out of my league. It indeed appears to be a 1930s dress watch. Most of these were 9 ct. gold and from what I can gather from my resources used a 15 jewel movement. It appears to have solid strap bars which was common on these pieces at the time and would have originally come with a strap with fold over wings on the inner side.

As to restoration, I probably wouldn't though I'd have it serviced. The watch has to many memories to "clean the slate", but personally I would keep it in running condition.

What a wonderful treasure!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2008, 11:10 AM   #10
thecoinopcollector

Do not touch or do a thing to that watch until you have it evaluated by the VRF, i.e., www.vintagerolexforum.com.

Marc
thecoinopcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2008, 12:37 PM   #11
Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoinopcollector View Post
Do not touch or do a thing to that watch until you have it evaluated by the VRF, i.e., www.vintagerolexforum.com.

Marc
x2
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2008, 09:38 AM   #12
danpatjoe
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

As yet, I haven't had any luck getting any information about it on the VRF.
Do any of you know if there is such thing as a vintage Rolex database on-line showing images of the different models through the years?

Regards - Dan
Old 5 August 2008, 09:44 AM   #13
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post

I would not have it serviced at all. I would leave it exactly as it was when your grandfather last wore it, including the bracelet.

My father left me his Hamilton pocket watch. I have it in an enclosed display stand, stopped at the time of his passing.

In the end, though, it is now your watch and your choice as to what to do, if anything, in the way of restoration. Give yourself time (pun?). You can always have it restored, but if you have it restored you can not easily undo the restoration.

Great advice!!
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2008, 02:22 PM   #14
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art161 View Post

Yes, a great advise. Of course if you're planning to wear it after you restore it and pass it down to your grand kids, do it. Something about a vintage watch looking brand new that ???
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2008, 03:28 PM   #15
renodezrat
"TRF" Member

Great story !!!!
renodezrat is offline   Reply With Quote