The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 April 2023, 11:29 AM   #1
spacetime conundrum
"TRF" Member

Advice for visiting Geneva?

Any advice for someone visiting Geneva for the first time? The Patek museum is obviously on the list. I'd like to spend time at a lot of boutiques (Patek, AP, VC, Lange, etc.). No idea whether non-locals have a realistic opportunity to purchase, though -- or whether shelves were cleared out by the Watches & Wonders crowd. And any other tips are welcome. (Apologies if there's a better sub-forum for this topic.)
spacetime conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2023, 12:31 PM   #2
Armis
"TRF" Member

I always did want to know whether it was easier to buy a Patek as a new customer at the main PP boutique in Geneva, or is it the same need for “relationship” building.
We’ll see what the experienced forum members say.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2023, 04:56 PM   #3
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Patek salons will unfortunately only take on local clients now. Of course there may always be exceptions to a rule. Highly recommend taking an appointment though as Geneva is the only place that has the entire current collection available for trying on. Also don’t forget to ask for a tour of the secret top floor ;)

AP Fairmont is a lovely new space with big windows and view of the jet d’eau. Has a small museum section with a few exhibits. Had a Starwheel for exhibition as well.

As with most other AP boutiques, doubtful they will have anything beyond maybe a code or offshore available for sale.

The Rolex boutique is interesting in that it is the only corporate owned Rolex store in the world. Don’t expect availability to be any different though.
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 05:49 AM   #4
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

Was there in September. Lots to see, many require appointments, nothing for sale.
DavidSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 06:08 AM   #5
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

My wife and I were in Geneva last year. I would second the comment about making an appointment with the PP salon.

I would recommend a tour of the FP Journe manufacturing facility. We got to see some amazing watches being assembled and speak with the watch makers.

We also had a great time at the Panerai boutique. It was a very relaxed environment. I was PAM332 with the Minerva movement, but unfortunately I had already exceed my watch quota on the trip.

Bucherer is also worth a stop. I was able to order my Moser Streamliner with the green dial through them.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 10:32 AM   #6
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Was there in October. What made me want the 5226G. Lots to see at PP but don’t expect to be walking out of there with anything. I went home and sourced the 5226G but had I never seen it there in person, no chance I would have wanted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 11:11 PM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSB View Post
Was there in September. Lots to see, many require appointments, nothing for sale.
That is really a shame. I guess, it is unrealistic to expect things in Geneva to be any different than anywhere else. Especially so, given the large number of shoppers visiting there daily.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2023, 11:13 PM   #8
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
That is really a shame. I guess, it is unrealistic to expect things in Geneva to be any different than anywhere else. Especially so, given the large number of shoppers visiting there daily.
Geneva is a major market, too. With a lot of money.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 02:29 AM   #9
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Having just been to Geneve a week and a half ago.

Appointments with AP, Patek and ALS are absolutely necessary.
ALS doesn't even have a store front, its an office above another store. Really nice show room even if the SA wasn't very knowledgeable.

With regards to buying, I would say AP and Patek will have absolutely nothing for you.
Patek Salon is basically a modern museum now days. Lovely to try on anything your heart desires and I would recommend if you wanted to, inform them before hand that you would like to listen to a Minute repeater as they will probably give you a junior who doesn't have access to those caliber of pieces otherwise.

AP was a really big surprise for me an my watch collecting friend that was with me. They conducted what felt like a casual interview for about 3 hours. Absolutely lovely experience and has completely changed my perceptions of AP. Much better experience that Patek.

As for the Patek museum, that is a personal choice. You can book a private tour for 200CHF, we just used the iPad audio guide which I though was perfectly fine as guides usually get on my nerves anyway.

There are a large amount of cases to view and listen to on the guide so if you are a completionist, I would set aside 3 days hahah.
Otherwise, just find the cases you are interested in and listen to those guides, you won't have enough time for all of them.

Overall, Geneva is a strange city. Lovely for watches, but for a place with so much money apparently, pretty seedy people at times to be honest.

We were followed by what appeared to be a dealer one night, which did not feel that greatest given the watches we had on, but it was fine in the end. Just keep yourself aware of your surroundings.

Not sure if you are so inclined, but we found the cocktails in high end hotels in Geneva to be abysmal. Beau Rivage and the Leopard room (seedy as hell would not recommend in a million years) both charges 28 and 32 CHF for cocktails and they were some of the worst cocktails I have had. It's not hard to make a Negroni or an Old fashioned, but they failed completely.

But feel free to DM me if you would like a little more info. :)

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2023, 04:58 AM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

I had to my hotel make an appointment at the Patek Salon and my Ad made an appointment for a private guide for the PP Museum. both were amazing, especially the SA at the Salon who took a lot of time to show me everything inlcuding a bunch of MR.
FP Journe was super friendly but only had like 2-3 watch with no movements to show, Vacheron was also friendly but nothing special.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 03:44 AM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetime conundrum View Post
Any advice for someone visiting Geneva for the first time? The Patek museum is obviously on the list. I'd like to spend time at a lot of boutiques (Patek, AP, VC, Lange, etc.). No idea whether non-locals have a realistic opportunity to purchase, though -- or whether shelves were cleared out by the Watches & Wonders crowd. And any other tips are welcome. (Apologies if there's a better sub-forum for this topic.)
If you already have a Patek AD, ask them to call Geneva and set up an appt for you. This allows them to show you any watch you may be interested in as Geneva will recommend you order the watch through your regular AD.

The Patek museum is open limited hours, so plan accordingly. The Patek Salon usually will often offer free vouchers to the Museum. Otherwise entrance fee is a nominal amount. They offer guided tours in different languages at different times, so ask if you are interested in one of these tours.

It's been a few years since I have been to Geneva. But the last visit was with my AD, where they invited a group of collectors on a factory tour and flew us out there and put us up at the Mandarin Oriental, just a short walk from the Salon.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 06:30 AM   #12
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
Overall, Geneva is a strange city. Lovely for watches, but for a place with so much money apparently, pretty seedy people at times to be honest.
I totally agree. It is a strange city indeed. Great for visiting watch boutiques and museums, but some of the areas outside lakefront areas are pretty sketchy..

We stayed at the Ritz and it was probably the worst Ritz property we have been to. lol.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 11:15 AM   #13
spacetime conundrum
"TRF" Member

This is all really helpful information. I'll probably want to do more than one appointment per day. Roughly how long should I plan on the appointments lasting at PP, AP, VC, and ALS? Those are the salons I'm most interested in, though I'll certainly drop by others to fill the time.
Old 26 April 2023, 12:11 PM   #14
DavidSB
2024 Pledge Member

I spent a leisurely 1 1/2 hours at the Patek Salon trying on different references and buying straps and didn't want to be in rush so just right.
DavidSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:41 AM   #15
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I totally agree. It is a strange city indeed. Great for visiting watch boutiques and museums, but some of the areas outside lakefront areas are pretty sketchy..

We stayed at the Ritz and it was probably the worst Ritz property we have been to. lol.

Lol we stayed at the mandarin and it was the same - communist vibes for sure it’s like they opened a Mandarin Oriental in East Germany

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:48 PM   #16
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Awesome thread. I got a trip to Switzerland planned in June, makes me want to stop by Geneva for a day.

Anyone know if any other watch stuff to do in Geneva? How about other parts of Switzerland?
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 05:54 PM   #17
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post

Strange and very expensive... much better places you can go to, though have great memories of it due to W&W the last 2 years and going there to pick up watches.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 08:53 PM   #18
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Awesome thread. I got a trip to Switzerland planned in June, makes me want to stop by Geneva for a day.

Anyone know if any other watch stuff to do in Geneva? How about other parts of Switzerland?
Drive out to AP museum and stay at attached hotel.

To OP, the resturant attached to the Opera House is actually quite good and well priced for the city. Have fun!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2023, 07:35 AM   #19
nickorette
"TRF" Member

All the above plus check out some fondue places!
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2023, 04:40 PM   #20
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
All the above plus check out some fondue places!
I always liked the Café du Soleil in Petit Saconnex.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 05:49 AM   #21
joa
"TRF" Member

whenever i stay in Geneva, i go to the Brasserie Lipp

it's touristy, it's nothing special perhaps even, but to me it's the first hint of proximity to French gastronomy
Old 30 April 2023, 06:01 AM   #22
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I fondly recall my very first visit to Geneva Salon nearly a decade ago. It was a wonderful experience that I will never forget, esp I was at that time still a newbie collection and being inducted to the world of Patek. I even wrote a long post about it ( the longest ever in here ) and it became a very long thread.

Subsequent visits to the Salon esp post-hype is a lot less welcoming and charming, but still interesting to visit just to try out the latest pieces. A definite must visit and yes an appointment is required. Very slim chance any watches available for purchase though as others have mentioned.
Old 30 April 2023, 09:50 AM   #23
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I hear the museum is quite good
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2023, 07:01 AM   #24
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Interesting conversation. As a local, I agree with many things.

Drinks are terrible and overpriced, hotels are awful and it can be sketchy (though not because of the Geneva citizens, but French-side visitors).
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2023, 01:14 PM   #25
spacetime conundrum
"TRF" Member

Henrimontgomery, how sketchy is Old Town during the day? I anticipate spending most of our time there? Any advice beyond the general "be aware of your surroundings" message applicable to life in most big cities?
Old 3 May 2023, 02:20 PM   #26
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Henrimontgomery, how sketchy is Old Town during the day? I anticipate spending most of our time there? Any advice beyond the general "be aware of your surroundings" message applicable to life in most big cities?
Geneva is still one of the safest cities I've visited. With what you said the above, you can wear anything and still be fine.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2023, 03:09 PM   #27
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Old town is small, you’ll get around quickly. There isn’t much folks besides place du bourg de four.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
Geneva is still one of the safest cities I've visited. With what you said the above, you can wear anything and still be fine.
It’s very safe, however you still need to be careful. There was some cases of theft in rue du Rhône, and some places, you don’t want to showcase your wealth.
Old 4 May 2023, 07:07 AM   #28
Mattt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Interesting conversation. As a local, I agree with many things.

Drinks are terrible and overpriced, hotels are awful and it can be sketchy (though not because of the Geneva citizens, but French-side visitors).
I'm looking for a nice spot to enjoy cocktails and a quick chat. Do you have any recommendations for a 30-year-old like myself?

Additionally, I'm on the hunt for used furniture or fun decorative items for my home. Do you know of any stores or markets in the area that might have what I'm looking for?
Mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2023, 08:25 AM   #29
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattt View Post
I'm looking for a nice spot to enjoy cocktails and a quick chat. Do you have any recommendations for a 30-year-old like myself?

Additionally, I'm on the hunt for used furniture or fun decorative items for my home. Do you know of any stores or markets in the area that might have what I'm looking for?
Good cocktails are hard to come by, and good barmen change their residence often. Maison Balkii used to be good but now it’s terrible. A barman I appreciate is located in Inda Bar. I would say that otherwise you can get not too bad cocktails in bottle brothers, though it’s been a while.

Used furniture and items, we mostly have Emaus or Caritas, but in Geneva they are on the low end (see, more for those in need). The one in Zurich somehow was excellent and had superb vintage pieces. Top of mind I unfortunately don’t have much ideas for furniture, though you can always visit globus floor 4, which has some selection.
Old 6 May 2023, 10:38 AM   #30
spacetime conundrum
"TRF" Member

Since the odds of new watches being available for first-time visitors is low, does anyone have recommendations for pre-owned watch shops? I know that there's a Bucherer in Old Town, but I'd like to see others, too.