The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 January 2006, 02:40 PM   #1
writer
"TRF" Member

Second Thoughts

I am a maniac, I think. I am having second thoughts about purchasing my Explorer 1. My Sub 14060M has been my only watch for 3.5 years. I was planning to put my Sub in my safebox today and break in the Explorer 1, but I just couldn't do it. It's obvious that I am used to my Sub. However, I really do like the Explorer 1 and this is the second time I have owned this model. But it just doesn't have the same presence on my wrist as the 14060M; it's not only about looks, it's about feel too. I knew the size and how it felt on my wrist, but I still purchased it. Maybe it was an impulse buy.

It's not just this though. I guess I can't dedicate time to two high-priced watches. It's a special feeling knowing that my Sub is growing up with me. It's part of me and has been through a lot with me. I would feel strange setting it aside for another watch, even if it's only 10% of the time. (Why spend $3,000+ on a watch and wear it 10-20% of the time? I can't do that.) My Sub is and always will be my primary watch. Secondary watches are watches I use when my Sub can't go somewhere. For example, if I go to the beach, I will wear a cheap Casio.

Now I have a brand new Explorer 1 and don't know what to do with it. Again, it may have been an impulse buy. I got caught up in the excitement of buying another Rolex. It is too nice to be a part time watch and will never be my main watch. Yet, I bought it because I really like it.

The horror, the horror.

Has anyone here ever felt this way or currently feel this way?
writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2006, 02:44 PM   #2
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
no,never gave it a thought..........

Last edited by sparky; 7 January 2006 at 02:44 PM..
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2006, 04:07 PM   #3
G Shearing

Hi writer.

Don't agonize over it too much. Look on the positive side. You have two excellent watches. Enjoy them.
G Shearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Welcome aboard, Writer!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have an Sea Dweller and a Datejust, and the DJ gets virtually zero wrist time for the same reason. I do love it, but compared to the heft and size of the SD, my wrist feels kind of naked with the DJ on.

These days the DJ has become the "wedding watch" - it seems that weddings are the only events I wear it to. Then again, some days I just feel a bit of a need for change, so I still do slip it on from time to time. At the moment I'm between jobs, and it looks like my next change will get me back into suits, so it's entirely possible that I'll go back to the DJ. Hang on to your Explorer - you might find yourself wearing it more as time goes by.
Old 7 January 2006, 07:09 PM   #5
President Rolex
Banned

Send it here, I'll keep in my safe for you and you can wear it when you come to Beverly Hills. Or...I can keep it in the desert of out in Hawaii.

It's up to you.
President Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2006, 07:53 PM   #6
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Icon7 Problem solved

Hey Writer:
I have the solution.

Keep the Sub and send me the Exp I. I'll even pay for postage

Steve
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2006, 04:22 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Writer,

I can understand your problem. It was an impulse buy and the problem is not the watch (Explorer), it's probably the size of 36 mm. Once you've gotten used to the larger (40 mm) size of the Sub, the smaller size will lose its appeal.

I made the same mistake once by picking up an attractive white dial SS DJ...sold it within a month.

Your best bet (if you are really NOT keen on the Explorer) is NOT to wear it, but try and sell it as BNIB. At least that way you can expect to get the BEST price out of it. Who knows, you could get lucky and even get back what you paid!!

Cheers and good luck.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2006, 06:17 AM   #8
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by writer
I am a maniac, I think. I am having second thoughts about purchasing my Explorer 1. My Sub 14060M has been my only watch for 3.5 years. I was planning to put my Sub in my safebox today and break in the Explorer 1, but I just couldn't do it. It's obvious that I am used to my Sub. However, I really do like the Explorer 1 and this is the second time I have owned this model. But it just doesn't have the same presence on my wrist as the 14060M; it's not only about looks, it's about feel too. I knew the size and how it felt on my wrist, but I still purchased it. Maybe it was an impulse buy.

It's not just this though. I guess I can't dedicate time to two high-priced watches. It's a special feeling knowing that my Sub is growing up with me. It's part of me and has been through a lot with me. I would feel strange setting it aside for another watch, even if it's only 10% of the time. (Why spend $3,000+ on a watch and wear it 10-20% of the time? I can't do that.) My Sub is and always will be my primary watch. Secondary watches are watches I use when my Sub can't go somewhere. For example, if I go to the beach, I will wear a cheap Casio.

Now I have a brand new Explorer 1 and don't know what to do with it. Again, it may have been an impulse buy. I got caught up in the excitement of buying another Rolex. It is too nice to be a part time watch and will never be my main watch. Yet, I bought it because I really like it.

The horror, the horror.

Has anyone here ever felt this way or currently feel this way?
Writer, don't feel bad. You suffer from the same problem as the rest of us who own more than one high end watch. One of them may get far and away the most wrist time and the other(s) just sit(s) in the box or on the winder for months.

But you've got a reason to keep the Exp. You said you have secondary watches to wear places where you don't want the Sub to go. Why not wear the EXP then. It's tough enough to take any pounding you could give it (not that the Sub isn't as tough). It will also be a change of pace for you when you change your environment temporarily.

So unless you need to get rid of the EXP for financial reasons, just keep it around as a secondary watch. You got it because you liked it for a reason. Don't give it up just because it hasn't overtaken the Sub in your heart.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2006, 11:31 AM   #9
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
It is normal what you are feeling. If you don't think it will change, move the other watch. The EXP is a beauty and a classic, both of your watches have great history and would be a great collection with just the two of them. Best of luck with the decision, I vote for keep and enjoy them.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2006, 06:39 PM   #10
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

You mention that this is the second time you bought the exp.

That says a lot, for some reason, liked it enough to buy it twice.

If you sell it, would you perhaps buy it a third time?

I love my sub date, probably my favorite. But there is something to having a watch that is more sleek and less bulky too.

Reasons to keep the exp. The price for a new one will only go up in the future. It is as classic as the sub, look at the visible changes over the years, or lack of them. A true classic.

There is no reason why the exp can not grow and travel with you for many years too. Give it a chance, it won't let you down.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2006, 08:11 PM   #11
President Rolex
Banned

Think of it as the start of your collection!

You should have several and enjoy them all.

This is all for fun. If you need a watch just to look at the time you could do that for fifty bucks.

The President
President Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2006, 08:32 PM   #12
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Writer,

It has been a few days since your first post. Just wondering how you are feeling about the exp now? Care to share an update?

With ever passing day, I seem to like mine more and more.
Old 11 January 2006, 12:10 AM   #13
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
Welcome to TRF, Sparky.

You slipped such a low key comment in there, no one realized this was your first post. I sure hope it won't be your last.

Care to tell us about yourself and your collection (even if it's a collection of 1)?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 11 January 2006, 03:30 AM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
Welcome to TRF, sparky....could we have a few more words please? Thanks!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2006, 03:44 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
You are most welcome to TRF Sparky

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2006, 10:11 AM   #16
writer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K
Writer,

It has been a few days since your first post. Just wondering how you are feeling about the exp now? Care to share an update?

With ever passing day, I seem to like mine more and more.
Hello Mr. K,

This may sound strange, but the exp1 is still BNIB. I have not worn it yet and I look at it every night before going to bed. This is my second time owning this watch. The first time (about 5 years ago) I just peeled off all stickers, resized the bracelet and put it on. Funny because the first time around I sold the exp1 and purchased the Sub I now wear. I even posted a message yesterday on the TZ Omega forum regarding a thought of selling the exp1 and getting a Speedy Pro.

In my eyes there is nothing wrong with the exp1. it is kind of small when i compare it to my Sub, but if I didn't have a Sub, the size of the exp1 would be a nonissue. I think the main issue for me is wearing my Sub for years and not wanting to part with it for an extended period of time. Why own a $3k+ watch (exp1) if I am going to wear it a handful of times of year. This is my frame of mind at this time. And maybe getting a Speedy Pro is not the answer. Then again, I don't want to regret selling the exp1.
Old 11 January 2006, 08:07 PM   #17
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Writer, if you are in the States, Rolex usually has a price increase in mid Feb, so if you kept it new in box and the price goes up, in can not hurt you when you sell it.

I agree that it is silly to have such an expensive watch if you do not wear it. But also think think there is always the opportunity to enjoy numerous watches. And will go out on a limb and say you will wear the exp more than a handful of times a year if you owned it.

Only you will know if you will really wear the exp or not. My vote is still to give it a chance, it is one heck of a great classic watch.

Best of luck in whichever way to choose to go.
Old 11 January 2006, 11:38 PM   #18
Rockrolex

You have a real dilemma there, writer. But as Mark said, this is the second time you have bought an EXP. I think that's telling you something. Listen to your subconscious. Keep the damned thing.

There are many of us here who have high end watches that only get wrist time once or twice a year. But just knowing that we have them and can strap them on when the mood strikes is very comforting.

My vote: Keep it.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 12 January 2006, 02:46 AM   #19
writer
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I will keep the exp1 BNIB and see how I feel a few weeks from now.