The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2023, 11:44 PM   #31
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
Recommend you wait and see what AP does.
You don’t have to go see your Sales Advisor - I used to check in via email but then I had to fly to see mine. An email once a month or every other month, just a quick note, a little banter and that’s it. It worked but YMMV.
Oh, do you send emails to your designated sales advisor or to the official boutique email? In my case, I only have the salesman's contact number and the boutique's official email. If you are sending to your sales advisor, I guess the only way for me to communicate is through WhatsApp.
Johnsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:46 PM   #32
Johnsim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
In my experience with AP, I have never been asked or suggested to buy a piece that will potentially help me get another piece.
AP wants to know their customers better and that's why they moved away from the retail model. The boutiques and houses are there so they can meet the customers in a more informal way.
As this was your very first visit, don't loose hope. Watches for this year are anyway allocated.
I'd suggest to visit again in a couple of months & reiterate your interest. As someone wrote above, it is really important to be able to connect with the SA.
But it is not necessary to always visit in person to keep in touch.

Don't dismiss the Code 11.59 before seeing and experiencing it in person.
Btw, it does have an octagonal mid case which is incredibly and beautifully complex.
And yes, it may not have the iconic bracelet, but keep in mind that AP existed from 1875 to 1972 without the RO.
And with the Code 11.59 line they are going back to their origins but in a more contemporary and modern way.
During my visit, I did try the Code, but I found the case to be too thick, which is personally not to my liking
Johnsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 12:17 AM   #33
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsim View Post
During my visit, I did try the Code, but I found the case to be too thick, which is personally not to my liking
Fair point.
Just for the record, don't expect much difference to RO or ROC.
A 3 hander Code / Code Chrono is just 0.2mm thicker vs corresponding RO / ROC model.
But compared to a typical ''dress'' watch, which the Code is not meant to be, from Patek, Lange or VC it is indeed thicker.

In this case if you want 26240st from AP directly, you would have to check in with your SA to build that relationship. There have been people here who got RO/ROC as a first piece.
But if you want to have it asap, then the only option is secondary market.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 12:36 AM   #34
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
I purchased a code March 2022 from Dubai, Mall of Emirates. I never requested a RO as I thought given where I lived I had no chance. Honestly speaking though I absolutely admired my Code, for the construction, how it looks, the dial. It blew me away. A year later I got a message out of the blue. Would I like a 15510st as the lady in the boutique had one allocated for me. Of course I jumped at the chance. Really can’t thank her enough, and her staff, as they have always made my son and I feel so very welcome. Feels more like a genuine friendship than a customer.

Since owning the pair of them I would say the Code is my favourite of the two, and probably in my entire collection, as I own quite a few Rolex’s too. So please don’t write the code off, it might even burst your bubble with the RO :)
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 01:26 AM   #35
PattayaHammerTime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsoftee View Post
I purchased a code March 2022 from Dubai, Mall of Emirates. I never requested a RO as I thought given where I lived I had no chance. Honestly speaking though I absolutely admired my Code, for the construction, how it looks, the dial. It blew me away. A year later I got a message out of the blue. Would I like a 15510st as the lady in the boutique had one allocated for me. Of course I jumped at the chance. Really can’t thank her enough, and her staff, as they have always made my son and I feel so very welcome. Feels more like a genuine friendship than a customer.

Since owning the pair of them I would say the Code is my favourite of the two, and probably in my entire collection, as I own quite a few Rolex’s too. So please don’t write the code off, it might even burst your bubble with the RO :)

Totally agree sir
PattayaHammerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 05:26 AM   #36
TNG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I see a lot of people suggesting that I should go for the grey market. It's disheartening because the price in the grey market for the 26240ST is equivalent to what I could spend on acquiring one Code and one Royal Oak from the AP house, which I suppose would allow me to own two watches with that pricing.

I must say one thing: I don't dislike the Code as much, but it simply lacks the octagonal shape and the beautiful steel bracelet that truly symbolize AP.
The problem is, buying the Code is not an guarantee for the RO.
I declined a white dial RO in january, still waiting for my color. Could be years more.
TNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 07:52 AM   #37
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
In general just be up front with the SA but only buy what you like. In the end, if they say "no" or if the wait is too long, you can always buy from a grey dealer and get exactly what you want.

Now if you're okay with a 41mm ROC/RO, you may be surprised by how a 43mm ROO fits. I've got a smaller wrist at 6.75" and prefer the 38/39mm ROCs (over 41mm models) but do wear a 43mm ROO as well. My road to a 38mm ROC was an Offshore and then the ROC within a few months. I do also like some of the Codes (they look way better on the wrist) but the ROO was offered first.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:11 AM   #38
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just to be clear to others, a base Code (3-hander) is 1.7 mm thinner than a Royal Oak Chrono (10.7 mm vs 12.4 mm).
Old 20 October 2023, 07:14 AM   #39
cornsyrup_bezel
"TRF" Member

Code purgatory is a real thing for those who don't have a musician friend to take you to AP house and be offered a jumbo... To the OP i think the decision is whether you want to invest in the AP brand (bundle with code offshore etc), try the relationship building angle and get lucky, or have the watch you want tomorrow at a steep price. No wrong answer but i think for many the message from AP corporate is to "collect" the brand and not just RO.
cornsyrup_bezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 09:29 AM   #40
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
There is nothing wrong with asking for an RO as your first piece. If you are able to establish a good relationship with your SA, it is absolutely possible to get an RO as your first piece.

I've asked my SA before if I should buy a Code to beef up my profile in order to get my grail pieces I had on my wishlist. She adamantly said no. They only wanted me to buy pieces I really want and will enjoy.

I think as a new client, they are trying to decipher who the flippers are and it's been a show me your commitment type of environment. Now that secondary prices are coming down to earth and the macro looks to be slowing down, things might change in the very near future. I would stay patient and build that relationship.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 12:39 PM   #41
IS2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,PP,AP, PAM
I have had my name down for a 15450st white dial at my local AP house since 2021. I have visited my SA several times over the years, got updated to a 15550 white dial then grey dial since white was discontinued. Still no news for the watch. Honestly, I am starting to lose interest in obtaining a new RO now and just enjoying my vintage piece.
IS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 09:02 AM   #42
LaLaLife
"TRF" Member

Any thoughts on formulating what watch you wear in to an appointment if you're starting a relationship? I really only have interest in a 16202 and realize that means I have to go grey... But every so often we see someone on here allocated a jumbo as a first piece and I wonder if it has more to do with the person who intro'd them to the sales rep, or wearing an exceptional piece from another brand that signifies they may be a big future collector of AP.

Recently tried on the 15510 and 15550 in Zurich and realized that 39 and thin is really the only thing I care for.
LaLaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 09:17 AM   #43
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLife View Post
Any thoughts on formulating what watch you wear in to an appointment if you're starting a relationship? I really only have interest in a 16202 and realize that means I have to go grey... But every so often we see someone on here allocated a jumbo as a first piece and I wonder if it has more to do with the person who intro'd them to the sales rep, or wearing an exceptional piece from another brand that signifies they may be a big future collector of AP.

Recently tried on the 15510 and 15550 in Zurich and realized that 39 and thin is really the only thing I care for.

You never know. But I know someone who went straight to the top with three of the best pieces, and when I asked him if he had a code he didn’t even know what that was. I think if you’re willing to buy the $300k+ stuff right off the bat things change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 09:20 AM   #44
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The right way to look at this logically is to buy grey. Secondary is pretty reasonable right now for a jumbo considering the hoops you have to jump through to get it via boutique.

Look at it from the boutique point of view. Are you the type of client they want to allocate the jumbo to that has no real interest in the brand? Only other consideration would be if you're some sort of celebrity because then the brand would at least gain some marketing aspect but you wouldn't be here posting this question I figured if you were.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 08:49 AM   #45
LaLaLife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
The right way to look at this logically is to buy grey. Secondary is pretty reasonable right now for a jumbo considering the hoops you have to jump through to get it via boutique.

Look at it from the boutique point of view. Are you the type of client they want to allocate the jumbo to that has no real interest in the brand? Only other consideration would be if you're some sort of celebrity because then the brand would at least gain some marketing aspect but you wouldn't be here posting this question I figured if you were.
Appreciate the reply and definitely not a celeb... fortunately and unfortunately. To be a bit more clear, I do have other interest in the brand — I absolutely love the open worked pieces, ceramics, tourbillon cut outs, etc., but am of the understanding that all of these are much, much lower production than a 16202st. What I don't have interest in is an oversized offshore or entry Code that has to get flipped at a huge loss, which is what it sounds like they deem you must enjoy to have "interest in the brand."
LaLaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 09:41 AM   #46
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I don't have interest in is an oversized offshore or entry Code that has to get flipped at a huge loss, which is what it sounds like they deem you must enjoy to have "interest in the brand."
AP doesn't want you to flip a ROO or Code for a huge loss, they want you to love them
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 09:44 AM   #47
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Why don’t you just do both.

Go grey now and enjoy the watch.

Meanwhile wait it out for the boutique.

If the boutique comes through, sell the current piece back into the grey market and enjoy the new watch.

If they don’t come through, great decision, as you have been enjoying the watch all that time anyway.

Cost to you is then difference between grey (bought) and grey (sold) - in return you get to wear the watch you love whilst waiting.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 10:00 AM   #48
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Appreciate the reply and definitely not a celeb... fortunately and unfortunately. To be a bit more clear, I do have other interest in the brand — I absolutely love the open worked pieces, ceramics, tourbillon cut outs, etc., but am of the understanding that all of these are much, much lower production than a 16202st. What I don't have interest in is an oversized offshore or entry Code that has to get flipped at a huge loss, which is what it sounds like they deem you must enjoy to have "interest in the brand."

I'll add some perspective here. I'm not super wealthy as some others on this forum are...I'm just a regular guy...obviously I have some money saved up but I'm not a VVIP like many others who have already chimed in on this thread.

The point isn't for you to flip anything (ROO or CODE) for a loss. The point is actually for you to keep it and build a collection with AP. They do NOT want you to buy a code or ROO and immediately flip it...that would saturate the gray market inventory and lower the secondary values for these watches and thus further reduce interest in these pieces at the boutique (bc people do care about resale value).

AP wants people who are willing to spend on other pieces bc unfortunately it is the "best" way to demonstrate your sincere interest AND your ability to acquire additional pieces. They are trying to increase LTV (lifetime value) of each client...they don't want a one-and-done client that will get a RO and flip it.

Everything I said seems obvious...but I think it's worth reiterating from AP's perspective, and from a regular guy's perspective (me).

I started out on my AP journey wishing to just get an RO so I can save money to purchase other pieces from other brands, but now I have a more "vertical" approach (as John Mayer described) and now I'm just stacking APs (and other "cheaper" brands like Grand Seiko, Tudor, Cartier etc). I don't have the money to build a purchase history with Rolex, Patek, FPJ, or other brands while I am spending hundreds of thousands on APs.

This "commitment" on my end has led to a far greater appreciation of both the ROO and Code lines than I would have realized. I actually prefer the code lineup over my RO these days.

From an "investment" perspective, I think it's important to consider your AP collection from a portfolio perspective, not an an individual piece perspective. Same as stocks, real estate, or cryptos.

You might be holding onto unrealized losses on paper for some assets, but until you sell and recognize these losses, it doesn't even matter. From a portfolio perspective, as long as you are up (or even break even, or even at a slight loss), you should be fine.

Maybe you "lose" $5k or even $10k on each ROO or Code you purchase, but some of the more collectable pieces might be floating at +$20k or +$50k per piece (as an example). So from a portfolio perspective, your AP collection will be "up" or have unrealized gains on paper.

However, watches were never an "investment" to begin with. I'm personally fine if the value of these watches go down as a portfolio bc that was never the purpose of purchasing these watches. It's something to be worn and enjoy. If, long term, the values go up (adjusted for inflation and time value of money), then good. If I need the money for anything I might sell.

But having the intent to sell any piece that AP allocates to you (including ROO and Code) is precisely the thing AP does NOT want you to do...and that's why they have the soft 2 year period to ban clients who flip within that time frame.

Hope this helps
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 12:19 PM   #49
Razorsedge1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Why don’t you just do both.

Go grey now and enjoy the watch.

Meanwhile wait it out for the boutique.

If the boutique comes through, sell the current piece back into the grey market and enjoy the new watch.

If they don’t come through, great decision, as you have been enjoying the watch all that time anyway.

Cost to you is then difference between grey (bought) and grey (sold) - in return you get to wear the watch you love whilst waiting.
Sensible approach! Or get 2 different colors or models and enjoy both.
Razorsedge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2023, 02:24 PM   #50
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I can say with confidence a couple things here.

1. Getting a 16202st is highly unlikely. Never say never as we have seen it happen, but the odds are highly stacked against you.

2. If you have interest in a 16202, ceramics, tourbs, and openworked pieces, flipping a CODE or ROO is DEFINITELY not going to get you those pieces.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 27 October 2023, 09:56 AM   #51
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post
Remember kids, in 2012 AP had to reduce prices because they weren't selling any RO's because of the recession. Economy will not always be like this. It's already happening with Rolex too....Don't buy shit you don't want, just wait or go grey.
I would love to see the RO market improve at ADs. Production is so low relative to the modern demand which did not exist a few years back. As the secondary market prices soften somewhat, as they are, AD demand should fall which may help.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 04:21 PM   #52
Watchguynyc8300
"TRF" Member

They try to jam down ladies pieces or codes that don’t fit well if they think you’re a good long term purchaser of other watches. Given the way aftermarket prices are moving, just pay the premium and continue to express interest so you can always get another one later if availability improves.

“Appreciating” the brand is a joke played by brands to diversify their potential revenue stream. Aftermarket code prices show how little actual demand there is for that watch. Candidly they’ve already reduced list prices on some more of their egregious prices (ie gold ROO). It’s also funny we see constant reports on the forum of watches being +/-30 seconds.

I’ve been flat out told by AP NY you’d need to buy code or gold ROO before RO. At 35k or so in gray market for a steel watch, you start to think maybe why not jump into the gray market and go patek aquaunaut/ other sport watches.
Watchguynyc8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 04:24 PM   #53
Watchguynyc8300
"TRF" Member

Also the whole joke about production being low - they don’t need to focus production on the Code, but I suspect they feel they’ll lack leverage in future pricing if they don’t sell the code and this allows them to gatekeep the royal oak vs actually producing closer to what demand is
Watchguynyc8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 05:07 PM   #54
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchguynyc8300 View Post
They try to jam down ladies pieces or codes that don’t fit well if they think you’re a good long term purchaser of other watches. Given the way aftermarket prices are moving, just pay the premium and continue to express interest so you can always get another one later if availability improves.

“Appreciating” the brand is a joke played by brands to diversify their potential revenue stream. Aftermarket code prices show how little actual demand there is for that watch. Candidly they’ve already reduced list prices on some more of their egregious prices (ie gold ROO). It’s also funny we see constant reports on the forum of watches being +/-30 seconds.

I’ve been flat out told by AP NY you’d need to buy code or gold ROO before RO. At 35k or so in gray market for a steel watch, you start to think maybe why not jump into the gray market and go patek aquaunaut/ other sport watches.

Have you seen the grey prices on Patek Aquanauts or Nautilus? Have you inquired with Patek AD's to see if they'll sell you a sport model?
Old 27 October 2023, 07:27 PM   #55
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Have you seen the grey prices on Patek Aquanauts or Nautilus? Have you inquired with Patek AD's to see if they'll sell you a sport model?

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 07:42 PM   #56
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchguynyc8300 View Post

Maybe I’m lucky, along with a few other members here, that my relationship is with AP House in London because my experience is entirely different to yours. What does stand out however is your apparent reluctance to buy other models from AP, you refer to it as “appreciating the brand”. If you were truly into the brand and the watches available then buying something other than a RO would feel entirely natural and so buying an Offshore would not be seen as a stepping stone but as the fantastic watch that it is. Also, it’s easy to see a member here post a picture of a new RO and assume that they acquired it easily without much of a wait when in reality they probably had interest registered for 2-3 years prior to receiving it.
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 11:48 PM   #57
adi365
"TRF" Member

Am I too late to the discussion.

I don't know how it works in your country.

My first AP is 15510ST, I got mine in Switzerland.
I asked for RO on my first visit, the SA took my name and told me that the waitlist is long, could take many years. He also asked if I'd be interested in Code, I said no, we chat for an hour and I left.

Since then I made like 5-6 visits every other month, just to chat about watches and lifestyles, we became kind of close, at least I thought we were. And on the 10th month, he texted me that my RO was ready for a pick up.

Now the Code has grew on me, esp. the steel version, and I will get it beginning of next year :)

thats my AP journey so far.
adi365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2023, 11:59 PM   #58
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi365 View Post

I asked for RO on my first visit, the SA took my name and told me that the waitlist is long, could take many years. He also asked if I'd be interested in Code, I said no, we chat for an hour and I left.

Since then I made like 5-6 visits every other month, just to chat about watches and lifestyles, we became kind of close, at least I thought we were. And on the 10th month, he texted me that my RO was ready for a pick up.

Now the Code has grew on me, esp. the steel version, and I will get it beginning of next year :)

Congrats! That’s encouraging. Though I do wonder if you were going 5-6 times a month/every 2 months, the SA probably just wanted to have some breathing room and appease you so you don’t come back so regularly that’s insane.

Do you mean 5-6 times within the 10 months, so about every other month?
Old 28 October 2023, 02:00 AM   #59
rcwatchcollector
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi365 View Post

You wore him down.

rcwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2023, 02:52 AM   #60
adi365
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Congrats! That’s encouraging. Though I do wonder if you were going 5-6 times a month/every 2 months, the SA probably just wanted to have some breathing room and appease you so you don’t come back so regularly that’s insane.

Do you mean 5-6 times within the 10 months, so about every other month?
I'd say every 2 months or so, most of the time, and whenever I drop-by (with appointment of course) I never ask about the watch with him, we usually talk about something else and whenever he brought up the waiting time I'd just tell him that I understand the q and that I am waiting patiently. And we usually chat via whatsapp weekly or so. He is a very lovely guy.

My wife received the allocation even before me, she got her 15551ST within 3 months.

I am very fortunate that i've met such a lovely SA. One of my best experiences in my watch journey.
adi365 is offline   Reply With Quote