The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 April 2024, 03:14 PM   #1
mile2424
"TRF" Member

Laurent Ferrier thoughts? Former PP watch maker?

Looking into one of these in the future and I thought I’d see if others have tried them and their thoughts? They seem to be all about the their movement and finishing and classic looks. I believe he was a former watch maker for PP. They look very nice, a bit understated, but do carry a pretty hefty price tag for their entry level pieces. Thoughts?
mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 04:11 PM   #2
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Grab one while you still can!
Old 22 April 2024, 08:54 PM   #3
Vasco
"TRF" Member

They are indeed gorgeous watches, very elegant, refined. LF has a great taste. Adding to that, the movement is wonderfully finished (especially the micro-rotor version) with its natural escapement. The Tourbillon is a fantastic version as well. Yes the price is high and value retention is always a sensitive topic regarding indies.
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2024, 11:48 PM   #4
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Stunnsville. Never seen or heard of anyone owning one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 01:49 AM   #5
wristwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5164a
met and tried on at dubai watch week. was very very nice. as an aquanaut owner would be quite iconic to go straight there for my next piece hah

i tried on a very interesting gmt complication where the clicker button just changed the 24h hour information at the 9oclock window
wristwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 04:35 AM   #6
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
I did a tour of LF in Geneva many years ago. The CEO at the time personally did the tour for us. She was very generous with her time and showed us the facility, introduced us to the watchmakers, and of course got to see the timepieces.

The entire company at the time was literally a house. Four watchmakers in all. At the time, they were producing only 400 watches per year. I don't know what they produce today. It was very obvious that quality and finishing was top priority. I dug up some old pictures from the visit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180202_150507.jpg (75.8 KB, 637 views)
File Type: jpg 20180202_151744.jpg (24.5 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg 20180202_152514.jpg (55.6 KB, 626 views)
File Type: jpg 20180202_155315.jpg (71.9 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg 20180202_164516.jpg (105.1 KB, 635 views)
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 12:41 PM   #7
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile2424 View Post
Looking into one of these in the future and I thought I’d see if others have tried them and their thoughts? They seem to be all about the their movement and finishing and classic looks. I believe he was a former watch maker for PP. They look very nice, a bit understated, but do carry a pretty hefty price tag for their entry level pieces. Thoughts?

I really liked the titanium version - still on my list - I keep thinking about it actually so maybe I should go for it.

I did not like the sports models with integrated bracelet felt a bit cheap to me compared to RO and nautilus

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 02:04 PM   #8
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I did a tour of LF in Geneva many years ago. The CEO at the time personally did the tour for us. She was very generous with her time and showed us the facility, introduced us to the watchmakers, and of course got to see the timepieces.

The entire company at the time was literally a house. Four watchmakers in all. At the time, they were producing only 400 watches per year. I don't know what they produce today. It was very obvious that quality and finishing was top priority. I dug up some old pictures from the visit.
Wow, very cool, thanks.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 07:05 PM   #9
Vasco
"TRF" Member

A friend of mine's stealth version (in steel)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LF.jpg (213.7 KB, 514 views)
File Type: jpg LF mvt.jpg (247.5 KB, 512 views)
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 09:16 PM   #10
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
A friend of mine's stealth version (in steel)
Wow movement is ALS quality. Imagine if you could have the direction of the screws in same position.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 10:43 PM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

If you love it then absolutely get it.

It's an excellent choice to expand your collection away from what everyone else shows up wearing at GTGs too. Others will surely be impressed.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2024, 11:57 PM   #12
watchvert
"TRF" Member

Tried a few of them on over the past 2-3 years.
Interesting watches. A bit pricy, but very well made and sit well on the wrist. The tourbillon version in the picture (salmon dial) is 44mm and it doesn't feel big. It is titanium.
From next year they will produce watches, mainly, in gold. The current sport line will be discontinued in titanium, namely SPORT AUTO
BLUE LCF040.T1.C1GC5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg LF1.jpeg (70.0 KB, 466 views)
File Type: jpeg LF2.jpeg (101.0 KB, 465 views)
Old 24 April 2024, 02:23 AM   #13
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

That green square is yummy. A square with micro rotor is still on my wish list.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 05:47 AM   #14
Oryx
"TRF" Member

The brand was on the brink of being taken over by watchbox/1916 and was saves by tbe launch of the Sport Auto in titanium.

Movements are sourced from La Fabrique du Temps which is part of the LVMH group.

So it’s really only the finishing that is done in house.

Some very mixed experiences amongst collector to tread with caution!
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2024, 06:52 AM   #15
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Wow movement is ALS quality. Imagine if you could have the direction of the screws in same position.
It's a higher level of finishing than ALS generally, although the highest end of ALS may equal LF.

Aligning screw slots is not a thing in horology. Anything that looks like a set of aligned screws on a watch is not a screw (e.g. on a royal oak).

In case anyone missed it, the micro-rotor movement pictured has a natural escapement (double wheel). It's a big F'ing deal horologically that LF offers this. Yes, they also have a swiss level movement they use as well.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 07:26 PM   #16
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchvert View Post
From next year they will produce watches, mainly, in gold. The current sport line will be discontinued in titanium, namely SPORT AUTO
BLUE LCF040.T1.C1GC5.
That's interesting. The Sport Auto in titanium is amazing. Is that the feedback you got from LF? Too bad they will discontinue it. Get them while you can.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 07:28 PM   #17
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post

I did not like the sports models with integrated bracelet felt a bit cheap to me compared to RO and nautilus

Hmmm. It doesn't feel cheap on my wrist... especially when compared to the RO and Nautilus. Actually, that's one of the reasons I went for the LF instead of the other two.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 08:23 PM   #18
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
That's interesting. The Sport Auto in titanium is amazing. Is that the feedback you got from LF? Too bad they will discontinue it. Get them while you can.
I have the time/date Sport Auto titanium, I would love to see it in gold.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 10:22 PM   #19
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
It's a higher level of finishing than ALS generally, although the highest end of ALS may equal LF.

Aligning screw slots is not a thing in horology. Anything that looks like a set of aligned screws on a watch is not a screw (e.g. on a royal oak).

In case anyone missed it, the micro-rotor movement pictured has a natural escapement (double wheel). It's a big F'ing deal horologically that LF offers this. Yes, they also have a swiss level movement they use as well.
Why is natural escapement a big deal? Like Omega size big deal?
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2024, 11:10 PM   #20
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hmmm. It doesn't feel cheap on my wrist... especially when compared to the RO and Nautilus. Actually, that's one of the reasons I went for the LF instead of the other two.

I really wish the sport auto had micro adjustments. Other than that, I think they nailed that bracelet
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 01:42 AM   #21
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
maybe I am weird about these things but when I tried them they did not feel great at all compared to RO and nautilus. If it works for you great - that's all that matters
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 02:04 AM   #22
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Why is natural escapement a big deal? Like Omega size big deal?
Bigger than Omega.

The natural escapement goes back to A.L. Breguet himself. It's a double wheel escapement that provides double direct (rather than the sliding impulses of a swiss escapement) impulses and can therefore be lubricant free. It requires very fine tolerances in manufacture and assembly, higher than were possible in A.L. Breguet's time, as well as careful consideration of shock protection. It's close to an ideal mechanical escapement, but not easy to design and produce. Only a top watchmaker would attempt it; LF, FPJ, Voutilainen, Frodsham and a few others have done it.

The co-axial escapement of George Daniels (and wouldn't be possible without the help of Derek Pratt) has one direct and one indirect impulse, requiring lubricant as a micro shock absorption in the escapement. Omega, as we all know, adapted a varient of Daniel's design. It's very nice, but a step back from the natural escapement. Grand Seiko's new escapement is worth a close look as it is on the level of the co-axial.
Old 26 April 2024, 02:42 AM   #23
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The RO looks very cheap - and will also make you look like a Cocaine dealer.
Old 26 April 2024, 03:36 AM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonpilgrim View Post
The RO looks very cheap - and will also make you look like a Cocaine dealer.
Which at times can admittedly be fun
Old 26 April 2024, 03:36 AM   #25
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

:-)
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 05:42 AM   #26
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post

The movement is from La Fabrique du Temps the movement maker owned by LVMH.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 08:48 PM   #27
bob101
"TRF" Member

Some fantastic timepieces, wonderfully finished and a really friendly independent. I’ve been very tempted by a few limited editions recently. A really nice experience dealing with them.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 10:54 PM   #28
d33nastyle
"TRF" Member

I tried to buy this version and at the moment to pay it didn't work

d33nastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2024, 11:05 PM   #29
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

that one sold out end of last summer
Old 27 April 2024, 03:26 AM   #30
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
The movement is from La Fabrique du Temps the movement maker owned by LVMH.
There's a smart way and a not smart way to understand this.

The smart way is that Laurent Ferrier and his design team are great watchmakers and came up with a movement with a natural f'ing escapement, which they then worked with La Frabrique de Temps to manufacture the mainplates and bridges, etc. and then highly finish and assemble at LF. It's possible the movement is based on a tested foundation of a movement ebauche from LFdT but expertly adapted for a natural f'ing escapement which is a huge achievement and then highly finished, assembled, etc.

The not smart way to understand is that Laruent waddles into La Frabrique du Temps showroom and points to a generic movement pre-made by them, with no work done by him whatsoever. Obviously, no one here would think that and we're not seeing kickstarter brands with generic movements bought from LFdT with a natural f'ing escapement. That would be cool, though.