The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19 March 2024, 03:39 AM   #1
KB29
"TRF" Member

Being honest at the AD

I have an appointment later this week at the local AP boutique to talk with them about a couple of pieces I'd be interested in; but I'm curious about how I should go about the discussion-or if I should even go in at all?

The only AP I currently have is a Code 11.59 three-hander that i inherited, but I'm on their radar as I had it in for service and a pretty costly repair a few months ago. I have other higher end pieces (Rolex) and I'm not worried about conveying to them my financial ability to afford the pieces I would ask for; so that said...

The pieces I'm interested in (while knowing realistically that some of the more in demand pieces won't be offered) would be another 11.59 either chrono or base model-probably in a PM; and perhaps one or two of the Offshore models. I think these are realistic to think that they may be offered, albeit with a short waitlist.

My question however, is that these pieces can currently be had at or below retail on the grey market and I don't know how or if I should ask for any discount through the AD. Or if I should convey that I'm aware of this fact at all.

There's something to be said for building a relationship with an AD in order to be offered more in demand models later at retails prices; but I don't know if overpaying for pieces to get there is worth that trouble. (Not to mention the possible pressure of buying less desired pieces in order to build a spend history). I love AP, but it's unlikely I'd ever want any of the really high end, high-complications. But special dial colors or combinations could certainly be possible.

I suppose the same question could be posed for Rolex as well. Is the AD relationship as important now as it has been for the last couple of years now that prices ahve begun to come back down? And how does one navigate knowledge of the grey market with an AD (who is certainly aware if such)?
KB29 is offline   Reply With Quote