The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 14 March 2024, 11:17 PM   #1
studioal
"TRF" Member

Mid-case pitting, what to do

Hello,

I bought this '89 79090 about 8 years ago and had it serviced after seeing some fog under the crystal. My watchmaker did the full service, but wasn't able to get it to pass even 1 BAR on his pressure tester. He attributed this to the rust and subsequent pitting that had formed on the mid-case where the crystal contacts it. He removed the pitting with his lathe and was able to get a pass @ 10 BAR. However, it's been left with some unsightly degradation where the pitting was/is that I can see through the crystal just outside the rehaut.

Is it fixable? I wonder if the case could be microwelded and refinished. Any idea what something like that would cost? It doesn't bother me too much, but I was thinking that if I ever wanted to move this watch it would likely bother someone and/or greatly impact the value.

You can see that bright dappling on the perimeter of the crystal in this photo best.

studioal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 11:26 PM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It can definitely be fixed but once you find out the cost, you may leave as it is.

I was quoted for a similar repair about $2k and a few months to get it done.
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 11:39 PM   #3
studioal
"TRF" Member

$2K is definitely more money than I'd want to spend. It doesn't really bother me as this is a daily wearer and not a rare watch. Thanks for the info, very helpful.
studioal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2024, 08:35 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Myself would leave it and would not worry or spend money on it ,watch passed a pressure check to 10B 100m so fine for most water sports except scuba.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote