The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 June 2023, 05:02 AM   #31
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

I genuinely would love to know the business case for even producing two tone.

Seems like an unnecessary SKU given the small minority that probably have TT as their preference.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 05:05 AM   #32
steubi1
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many
Demand is definitely lower.

Why? For me, the colors gold and steel do not go well together, gold is a "warm" color and steel is a "cold" color. Maybe other people have the same feeling about that....don't know.

In the end, it is a question of personal taste....If you like it, go for it.

Best
Tom
steubi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 05:33 AM   #33
rohada
"TRF" Member

For me, I love the contrast. I had a Seamaster titanium/rose gold chronograph and it was my favorite Omega, by far, of the six I owned (to include an 861 moonwatch, a Ploprof, a 300M Diver, a Railmaster, and a GMT). Just a matter of how you are wired. If you are in it to make money or you like it, then stay with the SS Daytona. If you like TT because it appeals to you, then don't be concerned with those who don't like it. The only time I'm concerned about what other people think of my watches is when I'm spending their money. I currently have a TT Explorer and love it. Looking to add a TT Daytona.
Old 16 June 2023, 05:40 AM   #34
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I don't mind TT (I have a 16613 LB), but the TT Daytona is not a good looker imo, not with the black or white dial. The one on the previous page with the racing dial is nice though, I'd wear that for a dollar!
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 05:53 AM   #35
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
yep

when I see a TT being worn other than the bluesy, I think "that guy doesn't have a good AD relationship or can't/won't go grey" or, it's an old guy.

I had a TT Daytona. I sold it once I bought the real thing (steel Daytona) grey.
It needed to be said.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 06:44 AM   #36
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yep

when I see a TT being worn other than the bluesy, I think "that guy doesn't have a good AD relationship or can't/won't go grey" or, it's an old guy.

I had a TT Daytona. I sold it once I bought the real thing (steel Daytona) grey.
I've always wondered why many SS daytona owners look like their posture seems to get straighter, chest inflated, slightly blue in the face when they see my TT. Thanks for clarifying that it is a self confidence thing.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 06:51 AM   #37
GMTNYC3790
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitadoc View Post

I just like this one, for example.
Do you happen to know the reference of this one? Stunning
GMTNYC3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 07:35 AM   #38
VerticalClutch
Banned

Quote:
yep

Except, when you're really rich, you don't give a rip what anyone thinks and you enjoy your two-tone watch because you want something different than all the plebes with a SS watch on and you don't feel like flexing too hard that day.

Seriously though, after I got several PM watches, I really do enjoy two tone because it's different than SS, but not a huge flex. I'd rather folks underestimate my wealth whenever possible. Since I genuinely like TT watches, the lower price on the grey market is jus an added benefit.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 07:59 AM   #39
Philb280
"TRF" Member

I have both , got the TT Daytona with black and diamonds whilst waiting for a SS Black face Daytona.
I like both for different reasons.
I don’t feel old or inadequate or unable to afford a PM when wearing the TT neither do I feel superior when I wear the SS .
Buy what you like and enjoy , do not be swayed by other peoples opinions
Philb280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 01:17 PM   #40
Emery
"TRF" Member

In today’s climate, TT implies you’re not VIP enough to be allocated a SS, but you’re not rich enough to swing a PM.

Source: I have a TT Daytona
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 01:20 PM   #41
Otto
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
I have all gold and all stainless watches right now. Does that make me young, old, a wannabe, an investor, a bling guy, shallow, deep, a purist, a poseur, a snob, a collector??? Am I a good person, at least in this decade? Please tell me. Why should I spend good watch money on a psychiatrist when I have this forum?
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 10:29 PM   #42
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

TT have always been the easiest Daytonas to obtain, even back in the Zenith days. People wanted the SS because it was the least expensive, and while they might like the 18k it was very expensive and some people have concerns about wearing a solid gold watch on a solid gold bracelet. It does make a statement.

I for one LIKE TT watches, but then I also like yellow gold. I flirted very seriously with getting an 18K Sub last year, but in the end settled on a TT Sea Dweller for less than half the price. Settled isn't even the right word, because I LOVE my SD (and it's the toughest watch Rolex makes with any gold content), and made a rational decision that the money I saved would eventually be put towards a DD40 on my 50th trip around the sun.

Also, for what it's worth I was in an outlet mall last week while on vacation and visited several jewelry stores. No a damn thing interesting in terms of watches, but one of the managers did mention that yellow gold was "hot" and that young people were really starting to buy it in quantity. Everything old is new again!
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 10:32 PM   #43
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Personally, I like the TT slate dial I have very much. I find it much more interesting than the SS models which only have two versions. I also like gold versus ceramic for value.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 10:44 PM   #44
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
[IMG]DJ2 by Nacho Neal, on Flickr[/IMG]\
Certain models look as good or better in two tone. This one for example.
Old 16 June 2023, 11:19 PM   #45
tekops
"TRF" Member

I'm all about two-tone watches. The only watch that's not two-tone in my collection is my AirKing.
tekops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2023, 11:36 PM   #46
Otto

[QUOTE=HogwldFLTR;12815201]Personally, I like the TT slate dial I have very much. I find it much more interesting than the SS models which only have two versions. I also like gold versus ceramic for value.

I had this same model and configuration at one time. I really loved it and still miss it.
Old 17 June 2023, 12:06 AM   #47
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
To all TT naysayers in general, I haven't seen any SS watch that looks as good as this. Let me know when you find one. The TT navy blue Daytona is stunning too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deep blue car.jpg (177.4 KB, 373 views)
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2023, 12:55 AM   #48
Pablito
"TRF" Member

I used to dislike them, because I was a younger aficionado, but new 126 references look very promising. Slimmer and non shiny subdials make them more elegant to my eyes. On TT versions, the 16523 style feel way more elegant and subtle. Oh I'm soon 40 years old, so maybe I'll feel more comfortable with yellow gold someday!
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2023, 03:31 AM   #49
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I have all gold and all stainless watches right now. Does that make me young, old, a wannabe, an investor, a bling guy, shallow, deep, a purist, a poseur, a snob, a collector??? Am I a good person, at least in this decade? Please tell me. Why should I spend good watch money on a psychiatrist when I have this forum?
You have the second most common mix of watches IMO. Here we go...

The most common collection is stainless steel, due to cost.

The second most common is stainless steel, and a little gold, maybe one watch (or a few). I think as the collection evolves and the collector is looking for 'more' they reach for gold (or platinum).

The least common collection involves two tone watches. (I can feel the hate already) They are just not desired by the majority, or even close. They have been the easiest to obtain for as long as I can remember. The appeal only to a select few. (It's not really a few, but it's certainly not majority) I would bet if we start a poll 'what do you hate most about a watch' two tone would be on the board. If Steve Harvey did a Family Feud category, 100% it's on there!

You are not young, but not old. You can afford gold, but you're not a snob. Your gold isn't bling, it's because you like it You're watches are holding or even gaining value, but you don't buy them as investments. You're a good person. Just my guess! Haha
JJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2023, 03:46 AM   #50
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

A lot has to do with what's in and what's out. Two tone was much more popular in the late 70's and early 80's. It was a compromise between pure SS, which was considered the cheapest model, and pure precious metal, which was usually many times more expensive and out of reach for most people.

So voila...two tone gave you a little bling with less boom in the wallet.

Fast forward to now, and SS is oddly king. The market is like 95% SS and 4% all precious metal....maybe there's more precious metal in that percentage, but I think you know what I mean.

1% maybe two tone. It's that out of favor. So there is very little market for it compared to the other two.

Of the two-tone models, I think the CHNR looks the best, but the Daytona is a very close second. The black dial two-tone is the best combination in my opinion.

And the price differential in the secondary market vs the retail market is very small....approx $17k retail and you can get a two tone, black dial, Daytona for about $22k in the secondary market. Compare that to the $10k differential in the SS models, and the two tone looks like a pretty good deal.

Someone joked on another site that associates at investment banks and big law firms wore two tone Daytona's. The partners had the Playtona. The partner's weekend watches were the SS models.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2023, 04:10 AM   #51
Turpentine
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGreen View Post
You have the second most common mix of watches IMO. Here we go...

The most common collection is stainless steel, due to cost.

The second most common is stainless steel, and a little gold, maybe one watch (or a few). I think as the collection evolves and the collector is looking for 'more' they reach for gold (or platinum).

The least common collection involves two tone watches. (I can feel the hate already) They are just not desired by the majority, or even close. They have been the easiest to obtain for as long as I can remember. The appeal only to a select few. (It's not really a few, but it's certainly not majority) I would bet if we start a poll 'what do you hate most about a watch' two tone would be on the board. If Steve Harvey did a Family Feud category, 100% it's on there!

You are not young, but not old. You can afford gold, but you're not a snob. Your gold isn't bling, it's because you like it You're watches are holding or even gaining value, but you don't buy them as investments. You're a good person. Just my guess! Haha
Otto is a very good person!
Turpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2023, 06:11 AM   #52
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Someone joked on another site that associates at investment banks and big law firms wore two tone Daytona's. The partners had the Playtona. The partner's weekend watches were the SS models.
Source link?
Old 17 June 2023, 06:14 AM   #53
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitadoc View Post

I just like this one, for example.
Wow, those pictures make the watch look even more beautifull!
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2023, 06:17 AM   #54
marmite2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: Slim wrist master
Love my TT

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk
marmite2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2023, 07:13 AM   #55
mitadoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTNYC3790 View Post
Do you happen to know the reference of this one? Stunning

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
mitadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2023, 07:15 AM   #56
Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
Otto is a very good person!
Thanks, Doc!
Old 17 June 2023, 07:22 AM   #57
joa
"TRF" Member

if they are in good condition, with shining yellow gold (as in the photos in this thread) the two tones are very beautiful and underpriced for sure

but i am not sure how long they stay in this great condition? a while back i saw a TT daytona in a second hand dealer's window and the gold had lost its shine, wonder if it would require polishing?
Old 17 June 2023, 07:29 AM   #58
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

To all the naysayers,
if your AD calls you today, and says, i have a tt Daytona, you can’t tell me you don’t sprint to pick it up…lol
Dawgprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 01:01 PM   #59
ckhaing
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Classique
Nothing wrong with TT other than resale value, and as long as it is within the compatible attire.

Personally I have no problem with it because I did not ever resell any of my watches (yet) and I like TT as much as PM and SS samples.

PM with leather strap is a different story though.
ckhaing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2023, 03:03 PM   #60
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

I personally enjoy the TT Daytona over the SS. I like the look of the TT Rolex models. I had my choice between a Sub and every combination of the YM1 and loved the TT Chocolate dial...its my go to summer watch. My wife recently acquired the TT Datejust and it was her preferred choice as well. I am currently waiting for the new 126503 TT Daytona with Gold dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YM_3.jpg (88.6 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg 2023-Rolex-Cosmograph-Daytona-126503-2.jpg (157.0 KB, 318 views)
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote