The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2021, 03:11 AM   #31
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I think most of us here will not mind waiting even if it takes a long time if we have the assurance it's definitely coming. But most of the time, its only to add our names to waitlist, interest list and then nothing happens. I was once a big time supporter of the brand, but this obviously doesn't count for much. So just like chiscott_29, I am prepared to move on.
Old 17 September 2021, 03:19 AM   #32
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I was just thinking the same, I don’t care if I have to wait for a watch, it actually makes me enjoy it more if it’s hard to get. I’ve been waiting for a Patek 5726 for around 3 years which is double what the AD promised me but when it finally arrives I’ll just be glad to add it to my tiny collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patience relies on consistency and trust for it to be honored and fulfilled.

The issue is AP has offered these types of statements extraordinarily rarely over the past year or two. And that goes way beyond the traditional allocation pieces like ceramics, skeletons, and Jumbos.

If I have even dared suggest interest in an allocation piece, it’s countered with “Not possible” or “We don’t get any of those”. To make matters worse, that’s the answer now for almost everything - 37/41 Royal Oaks, several Offshores, and believe it or not even some Codes apparently.

I absolutely would be patient - even for years - if I could trust AP to actually deliver something like a PC. And in my personal experience, even when I thought I was going to get something, it’s become a moving target or even taken off the table. So, why should I trust anything AP tells me, if they tell me anything at all?

I don’t think I’m the only one that feels this is the treatment they get. Thus, why many are frustrated with the current environment and we’re left to speculate on what’s really going on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17 September 2021, 10:48 AM   #33
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Patience is very important. I am a decent customer and I am still waiting on my allocation of ceramic open worked double balance wheel. AP have been pretty transparent with me - I will eventually get it in all likelihood, but it will take a very long time since I already have the perpetual calendar version and AP are trying hard to "share the love" amongst their client base.

I have zero issue with that and am happy to wait!
Old 17 September 2021, 10:55 AM   #34
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Patience is very important. I am a decent customer and I am still waiting on my allocation of ceramic open worked double balance wheel. AP have been pretty transparent with me - I will eventually get it in all likelihood, but it will take a very long time since I already have the perpetual calendar version and AP are trying hard to "share the love" amongst their client base.

I guess what I am trying to say is it’s easy to have patience when you trust it will be rewarded. You clearly have the relationship and history to extend patience. That’s awesome and am in total agreement that’s a great model to implement. I would love to be patient if it came with some comfort that I’d be rewarded.

I think the frustration (at least with me) is the past 1 to 2 years have been met with no messages, mixed messages, or when there are answers it’s most often “no” or “can’t”. And like I said this goes WELL beyond the pieces everybody used to deem allocation pieces. And I do have a buying history and relationship, although nowhere near the level of many on here.

I feel there are several others that share my experience…

Old 17 September 2021, 11:02 AM   #35
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I guess what I am trying to say is it’s easy to have patience when you trust it will be rewarded. You clearly have the relationship and history to extend patience. That’s awesome and am in total agreement that’s a great model to implement. I would love to be patient if it came with some comfort that I’d be rewarded.

Quote:
I think the frustration (at least with me) is the past 1 to 2 years have been met with no messages, mixed messages, or when there are answers it’s most often “no” or “can’t”. And like I said this goes WELL beyond the pieces everybody used to deem allocation pieces. And I do have a buying history and relationship, although nowhere near the level of many on here.
That's reflective of my experience, as well.

Maybe it's a US (vs. HK, Singapore, Japan) thing?
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 11:30 AM   #36
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If I have even dared suggest interest in an allocation piece, it’s countered with “Not possible” or “We don’t get any of those”. To make matters worse, that’s the answer now for almost everything - 37/41 Royal Oaks, several Offshores, and believe it or not even some Codes apparently.

Actually, I will much prefer this straight forward answer. This stop everyone from wasting time. Over here in Singapore, they will not say "No" but will instead add me to their "interest list" which probably have hundreds of names and then I don't hear from them again. When follow up, they will say still waiting, no news etc... So I can take that as basically a polite way of saying No. And I am not requesting a ceramic double balance wheel, just a standard ROO.
Old 17 September 2021, 11:39 AM   #37
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Actually, I will much prefer this straight forward answer. This stop everyone from wasting time. Over here in Singapore, they will not say "No" but will instead add me to their "interest list" which probably have hundreds of names and then I don't hear from them again. When follow up, they will said still waiting, no news etc... So I can take that as basically a polite way of saying No. And I am not requesting a ceramic double balance wheel, just a standard ROO.
It's worth noting that Scott's point was that the messages are all over the place, and when they finally do give an answer, most of the time it's No. But, they rarely give a straight answer in the States (correct me if I'm wrong here, Scott, and if I'm misinterpreting your point).

What's funny is that while some boutiques just flat out say "No," I continue to see things pop up online and on social media at Grey Market dealers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FzZ7llgeAU
Old 17 September 2021, 11:45 AM   #38
conkers
"TRF" Member

I think for those of you with buying history and an existing relationship, I believe you need to extend your relationship beyond your immediate boutique/dealer into AP regional management. Proactively ask to join events, ask when management might be visiting, ask to meet them, show them your collection and that you still own the pieces (wear a different piece every time you show up), etc. etc..

Look I am not suggesting it is at all easy. I can no longer walk into my Boutique and buy something. As I historically have made a huge number of spontaneous purchases (normally after a champagne-fuelled lunch!), this is deeply irritating to me and I am buying far less watches as a result. But it is what it is.
Old 17 September 2021, 12:19 PM   #39
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was just thinking the same, I don’t care if I have to wait for a watch, it actually makes me enjoy it more if it’s hard to get. I’ve been waiting for a Patek 5726 for around 3 years which is double what the AD promised me but when it finally arrives I’ll just be glad to add it to my tiny collection.

Do AP accept deposits to be in line? thank you

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 12:30 PM   #40
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It's worth noting that Scott's point was that the messages are all over the place, and when they finally do give an answer, most of the time it's No. But, they rarely give a straight answer in the States (correct me if I'm wrong here, Scott, and if I'm misinterpreting your point).

More or less, this is the issue I have. Along with the fact that everything is now impossible. I also feel the overall distribution beyond the corporate boutiques makes it impossible to have any real shot at anything outside of the most available models. I don’t understand this because I don’t see why I should be forced to go through NYC. That’s just not efficient and the reality is I doubt NYC has the time or desire to manage more customer requests.

Maybe most frustrating is that the battle is now WAY beyond the original allocation pieces. Like I’ve said, everything is a struggle.

It is what it is I suppose…

Old 17 September 2021, 12:33 PM   #41
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I think for those of you with buying history and an existing relationship, I believe you need to extend your relationship beyond your immediate boutique/dealer into AP regional management. Proactively ask to join events, ask when management might be visiting, ask to meet them, show them your collection and that you still own the pieces (wear a different piece every time you show up), etc. etc..

Look I am not suggesting it is at all easy. I can no longer walk into my Boutique and buy something. As I historically have made a huge number of spontaneous purchases (normally after a champagne-fuelled lunch!), this is deeply irritating to me and I am buying far less watches as a result. But it is what it is.

This is probably the right approach. And at the risk of sounding mean (which I don’t intend to be) the fact that you’re also having to wait does make me feel better!!

We’re just at a very difficult time where there’s no trust or desire to communicate or engage. That makes it very difficult to want to continue to invest in a relationship.

Old 17 September 2021, 12:37 PM   #42
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Has anyone been able to place orders for gold JUMBO models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Do AP accept deposits to be in line? thank you

From my experience AP will not take a deposit unless the watch is in their safe. I live 200 miles from AP House so last time with my Jumbo I offered to pay for it in full when I was in AP House but the watch hadn’t arrived and they wouldn’t accept any money, however they confirmed that I would have the next one. A few days later they called to say the watch was on the premises but I couldn’t get back to London for a further week as it involves a day off work and so I transferred 50% to guarantee that it couldn’t be sold to anyone else.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 12:39 PM   #43
benlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
More or less, this is the issue I have. Along with the fact that everything is now impossible. I also feel the overall distribution beyond the corporate boutiques makes it impossible to have any real shot at anything outside of the most available models. I don’t understand this because I don’t see why I should be forced to go through NYC. That’s just not efficient and the reality is I doubt NYC has the time or desire to manage more customer requests.

Maybe most frustrating is that the battle is now WAY beyond the original allocation pieces. Like I’ve said, everything is a struggle.

It is what it is I suppose…

Out of curiosity, are you dealing with AD or boutique? Because I don't think AP is giving ADs anymore inventory. In Asia, nearly all AD POS has been closed down or downsize. I am not sure about the situation in USA.
Old 17 September 2021, 12:51 PM   #44
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is probably the right approach. And at the risk of sounding mean (which I don’t intend to be) the fact that you’re also having to wait does make me feel better!!
On the positive side, my bank manager is very happy!

Up until about a year ago I was posting on IG a new incoming approximately every 3-4 weeks, nowadays due to unwanted (and the wrong sort of) attention via IG (god I am so naive - what was I expecting!!), together with the acute difficulty of getting new watches, I think I post an incoming approximately every 4-5 months! My feed really has become very unexciting, for which I apologise.
Old 17 September 2021, 01:05 PM   #45
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
From my experience AP will not take a deposit unless the watch is in their safe. I live 200 miles from AP House so last time with my Jumbo I offered to pay for it in full when I was in AP House but the watch hadn’t arrived and they wouldn’t accept any money, however they confirmed that I would have the next one. A few days later they called to say the watch was on the premises but I couldn’t get back to London for a further week as it involves a day off work and so I transferred 50% to guarantee that it couldn’t be sold to anyone else.

Thank you

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 02:03 PM   #46
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Out of curiosity, are you dealing with AD or boutique? Because I don't think AP is giving ADs anymore inventory. In Asia, nearly all AD POS has been closed down or downsize. I am not sure about the situation in USA.
I can only think of one AD still operating in the US and that’s in Houston. Last time I went by to check out what they had (right before the pandemic hit in March 2020) it was basically nothing but women’s RO’s and ROO’s. I think everything else is either AP owned boutique or a JV boutique owned by AP and a local jeweler.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 02:54 PM   #47
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
My AD still receives some ROO and RO ladies from AP. My wife was able to buy 2 ladies RO from said AD directly. I also understand the other AD receives such pieces from AP as well.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2021, 09:37 AM   #48
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

The AD vs Boutique situation differs by market.