The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 April 2024, 02:31 AM   #31
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

IMHO, it is better to just go grey for the Rolex watch that you want.

Many of the sports models are already trading under MSRP anyway.

Your time is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 April 2024, 03:14 AM   #32
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gates View Post
Rolex prices have been retarded since Covid though we are getting back to reality.
Retarded means less advanced so if you can’t even keep your slurs straight don’t use them.
Old 21 April 2024, 03:15 AM   #33
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Retarded means less advanced so if you can’t even keep your slurs straight don’t use them.

X2

Old 21 April 2024, 03:32 AM   #34
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona, Sub, etc.
We visited Switzerland last December, stopping at many watch boutiques as we traveled from Geneva to Zurich. The only bad experience we had was at AP. Salespeople sat at their desks looking at us like we were vermin. I was wearing a BLRO, and my son, a Freak. My son started a tech company, now close to $1b valuation. He would have bought a watch on the spot, had anything been available. At least they should have said hello.
Old 21 April 2024, 03:39 AM   #35
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

AP will force you to buy a code first if you want a RO. they are better in the sense that AP boutiques actually have a very standardized path to every watch and a way to work with new customers, but their pieces are also 2-3x more expensive than rolex so the barrier to entry is much higher. i get what you're saying but you shouldn't think there are no games to be played with AP either, there's just less guessing with that brand as opposed to with rolex where most ADs have fake waitlists and tons of grey areas
Old 21 April 2024, 03:41 AM   #36
"TRF" Member

ROO fantastic watches
Old 21 April 2024, 03:42 AM   #37
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
...and speaking with an SA about how they allocate watches, which is just forming a relationship with your SA and you will get your watch within a couple of years. I find that to be more than fair considering the output of AP per year.
:
Why should any of us have to wait literally years (for a Rolex) ...Am I missing something here?

The need to forming a relationship
with a SA to get a Rolex, PP, ALS or AP is just a big no-no. I just want to buy the watch when I have the cash. These pretentious maisons are digging their own graves.
Old 21 April 2024, 03:45 AM   #38
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Turned Off By Rolex

Quote:
I’ve never had to wait “literally years.” I’ve never had to wait even a year. Congratulations on your epiphany although you may want to refresh yourself on the fundamentals of supply and demand. Simply put, even though Rolex makes vastly more watches than AP the demand for Rolex far outstrips that supply. This is not a reflection on the watches themselves. Ironically you are leaving Rolex at the point in time where supply is waxing and demand is waning but by all means buy what makes you feel fulfilled. AP makes lovely watches, not one of which inspires me in the least. This hobby/habit is all about joy so if the perceived ease of acquisition of AP is the part that brings you joy then sincere best wishes in your ongoing watch journey.

Very well said, Kevin! It is specific watches that draw me in. Rolex design DNA, though somewhat simplistic, is what I love. There is just something so classic and classy about most models. The so called holy trinity brands do nothing for me. Like you, I haven’t waited years, for my small collection of the crown. I can’t get emotionally upset by something that I can’t change. It is what it is. I do understand not wanting to play AD games, and I don’t. Just being friendly, polite, and attentive has worked for me. I’m also patient. I can wait. Also, things appear to be improving. I’m in this for the long haul. I’d like to end up with 5 nice Rolexes, to leave to my 4 children, and my stepson.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21 April 2024, 03:52 AM   #39
MitchSF
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona, Sub, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

The need to forming a relationship
with a SA to get a Rolex, PP, ALS or AP is just a big no-no. I just want to buy the watch when I have the cash. These pretentious maisons are digging their own graves.
Agreed. Now is the time for ADs to build relationships with US, to prepare for the pendulum swing that will ultimately happen as it always does.
Old 21 April 2024, 03:55 AM   #40
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Go grey and leave all AD’s behind
Old 21 April 2024, 04:03 AM   #41
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I’m just waiting for the “Turned off by AP” thread by OP one day...
Old 21 April 2024, 04:22 AM   #42
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Forming a relationship? Ask a 16202 and let's see how they treat you, friend.
Old 21 April 2024, 04:31 AM   #43
monsieur_z
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Go grey and leave all AD’s behind
ADs are not left behind at all, because they sold the watch that ended up in the grey shop.

Sent from my SM-X810 using Tapatalk
Old 21 April 2024, 04:43 AM   #44
Snowballs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Very well said, Kevin! It is specific watches that draw me in. Rolex design DNA, though somewhat simplistic, is what I love. There is just something so classic and classy about most models. The so called holy trinity brands do nothing for me. Like you, I haven’t waited years, for my small collection of the crown. I can’t get emotionally upset by something that I can’t change. It is what it is. I do understand not wanting to play AD games, and I don’t. Just being friendly, polite, and attentive has worked for me. I’m also patient. I can wait. Also, things appear to be improving. I’m in this for the long haul. I’d like to end up with 5 nice Rolexes, to leave to my 4 children, and my stepson.

Kat

Great attitude Kat,

I have been in the game since 1981 and actually enjoy it. Always good value to stop in an AD and talk Rolex.

Old saying ' slowly, slowly, catchy monkey' :-)

I find the successful sales reps are also watch people. YMMV
Old 21 April 2024, 04:48 AM   #45
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
I’ve never had to wait “literally years.” I’ve never had to wait even a year. Congratulations on your epiphany although you may want to refresh yourself on the fundamentals of supply and demand. Simply put, even though Rolex makes vastly more watches than AP the demand for Rolex far outstrips that supply. This is not a reflection on the watches themselves. Ironically you are leaving Rolex at the point in time where supply is waxing and demand is waning but by all means buy what makes you feel fulfilled. AP makes lovely watches, not one of which inspires me in the least. This hobby/habit is all about joy so if the perceived ease of acquisition of AP is the part that brings you joy then sincere best wishes in your ongoing watch journey.

Kevin nailed it. My experience exactly.

Enjoy AP OP; get with what you love. not my cup of tea like Rolex and PP

Old 21 April 2024, 08:42 AM   #46
ttokic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It does not mean “less advanced”. It comes from the Latin verb “retardare” which means “to delay” or “to slow up”. I am a doctor and there is an example of pills that slow down the release of the active ingredient being labeled “retard”, e.g. “Ibuprofen retard”. That does not mean that the pill has an intellectual disability. Sorry for the off-topic but you attacked the person who made the original comment based on your ignorance.
Old 21 April 2024, 10:31 AM   #47
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttokic View Post
It does not mean “less advanced”. It comes from the Latin verb “retardare” which means “to delay” or “to slow up”. I am a doctor and there is an example of pills that slow down the release of the active ingredient being labeled “retard”, e.g. “Ibuprofen retard”. That does not mean that the pill has an intellectual disability. Sorry for the off-topic but you attacked the person who made the original comment based on your ignorance.
The first guy said the prices were re….ed, as in stupid. I’m a native English speaker and I can assure you that your comment is of no use in relation to the subject.
Old 21 April 2024, 10:52 AM   #48
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:

The word in question has multiple meanings.

Poor choice of words no matter how you slice it.

Old 21 April 2024, 10:54 AM   #49
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
I wondered how long it was going take for someone to come along and defend the use of that word in a clear example of punching down. And here we have it.

Welcome to the forum, I guess.
Old 21 April 2024, 11:17 AM   #50
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowballs View Post
Great attitude Kat,

I have been in the game since 1981 and actually enjoy it. Always good value to stop in an AD and talk Rolex.

Old saying ' slowly, slowly, catchy monkey' :-)

I find the successful sales reps are also watch people. YMMV

I stop in monthly just to chat. When I wanted a pair of birthstone earrings, for my Birthday, on the 9th, I did give that business to my AD. Nothing extravagant. We dropped a grand for some diamond studs. Of course, I talked watches, while there, and registered my interest in another watch. Then we went to lunch. That’s a perfect afternoon to me.

Kat

Closed Thread