The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 14 March 2024, 11:03 PM   #1
amer2828
"TRF" Member

Rolex Oysterquartz 19018 Repair

Hi, and thanks for any help. I have a Rolex Oysterquartz model 19018 that has stopped running. I have sent it to a few watch repair shops including one who said they were Rolex certified.

They are telling me that the parts that are not functioning are not repairable so cannot be fixed. I cant understand how that is possible.

Any help would be appreciated.
amer2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 12:03 AM   #2
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
They are repairable and can be fixed. If you go to a certified Rolex dealer, they are likely to have a watchmaker on staff who can unscrew the back, have a quick look around and replace the battery. They can send it to a Service Center for evaluation and a quote on repair. Two dealers I have used in San Antonio replace OQ batteries for free.

There are several trusted watchmakers on this site who can give you an estimate. "Tools" and "Rikki" are two that come immediately to mind. There are at least 3 others as well.
Old 15 March 2024, 12:22 AM   #3
amer2828
"TRF" Member

Hi, thanks very much for trying to help me. The battery was replaced and still not working. It is the "motor/electronics" (no idea what it is called) that makes the watch run.

I am new here. Do you have contact for anyone ? Thanks!
Old 15 March 2024, 04:02 AM   #4
CTech
"TRF" Member

It sounds as if they are talking about the quartz module that has failed. These are still available, but they are not likely to be found by a mechanical watch repair facility, nor would they want to fit one, even if they were able to find one.

I believe the watches are routinely repaired by the Rolex Service Centers and they have access to the stock of quartz modules, so that might be your best bet.

There have been posts here about an RSC replacing the quartz module and the associated costs, so a search on the various sub-forums will give you a better idea of who can do the work, cost of parts, etc.

Alternatively, you could try some of the watchmakers who have experience of these watch movements, so maybe Giovanni in San Francisco is worth a try. He is ex-RSC and should be able to give you good advice even if he can't repair it himself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Independent Service Center SF business card 2.jpg (32.8 KB, 81 views)
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 09:01 PM   #5
amer2828
"TRF" Member

THANKS FOR THE HELP - will search and call them - thanks again
Old 16 March 2024, 12:37 PM   #6
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Hello @amer2828, I have a 19018 (5055 movement) as well and do not ever plan to get rid of it as I love it.

The main parts that are common replacements besides the battery and minor integrated pieces in the 5055 movement are either the motor assembly or the circuit assembly.
Both of which can be pricey acquiring in working order through the secondary market.
Example links below:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14559380572...CABEgLu9PD_BwE
https://www.ebay.com/itm/39493902819...iABEgKcN_D_BwE

If I’m you today, I’d send it to a Rolex Service Center for diagnosis and go from there.
Not sure where you are but Beverly Hills, Dallas, and a few others, are pretty popular here on TRF.

And TBH, I’ve already decided that when or if my movement ever fails I will look at installing one of the Rolex Day-Date quickset (3055) or double quickset (3155) movements.

Here’s mine currently, good luck!
iKvn3KEl.jpg
Old 16 March 2024, 07:14 PM   #7
amer2828
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much for help! Great detail. Now I am knowledgeable about choices and parts to help me - Thanks again!

Really interesting - not in a good way - that a well known Rolex reseller told me watch could not be fixed and he would buy it.

Visiting here stopped me from getting robbed.